SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the event today get cancelled? This link says July 21, but there was supposed to be an event today at noon. I even reserved a ticket. I can't find a link though, and it's not mentioned on their FB.

Let me know if anyone finds it.

Beyond the Headlines: The Murdaugh Case | Post & Courier Events
Join us for a look at the latest developments in a murder case that has drawn international attention to the Lowcountry. It began with the killings of two members of the prominent Murdaugh family in June. Since then, there has been a second shooting, a trip to rehab and allegations of money missing from the family law firm. Watchdog and Public Service Reporter Stephen Hobbs and Public Service Editor Glenn Smith discuss the latest in the case and what might be next. Moderated by The Post and Courier Executive Editor Autumn Phillips.

The event is free, but you must RSVP to receive the Zoom link. Once registered, you will have the opportunity to submit questions.

Hampton Co. judge sets bond at $55K for man charged with trying to help Alex Murdaugh in suicide attempt

Last edited:
Isn't that the truth!!! He hired a man who obviously couldn't shoot and hit the broad side of a barn.

He missed the shot bc he wanted to miss the shot. If you’re that close and miss? You were not looking at your target. Really, he was trying to kill that pesky horse fly that had been buzzing around Alex’s head all morning.

A large majority of these stories are from the past though. But it was inevitable that we would come to this point: true crime in real time. I’m talking about the Murdaugh Murders in South Carolina. Every media outlet has been following this. PEOPLE.com has been posting about it nearly every day. So it’s not like it’s been avoidable, at least not in my feed. The details are increasingly bizarre, seemingly fictional but too f-cking real twists and turns are irresistible. A wealthy, powerful family, corruption and secrets, grudges and greed, and a string of unexplainable, suspicious deaths? I admit, I have two group chats going about this situation, I have a google alert set up for it, so I’m one of those assholes feeding this circus. Am I too weak to look away? Are you too weak to look away?

And yet, as some have argued, without this attention, given the influence of the Murdaugh family in South Carolina, there may have been even more coverups, more sloppy investigation, more betrayal of justice – and the family members of Stephen Smith, Gloria Satterfield, and Mallory Beach would not have hope of finding answers about the loss of the loved ones if not for all this heat.
https://www.laineygossip.com/journa...-carolina-with-podcast-murdaugh-murders/69383

So CES followed him to the spot that the shooting happened? I suppose he could have slashed AM's tire at AM's house with AM's knife. He could have followed him with the intent to murder him. He is a bad shot and was having an off day on drugs like yesterday and he misses. AM has to explain something to LE at the time. He takes a week to think about it and hears there may be video so the Suicide story was born. Better than trying to explain why he was shot by CES. He did not try to commit suicide IMHO...I don't believe the shooting has anything to do with suicide.

A large majority of these stories are from the past though. But it was inevitable that we would come to this point: true crime in real time. I’m talking about the Murdaugh Murders in South Carolina. Every media outlet has been following this. PEOPLE.com has been posting about it nearly every day. So it’s not like it’s been avoidable, at least not in my feed. The details are increasingly bizarre, seemingly fictional but too f-cking real twists and turns are irresistible. A wealthy, powerful family, corruption and secrets, grudges and greed, and a string of unexplainable, suspicious deaths? I admit, I have two group chats going about this situation, I have a google alert set up for it, so I’m one of those assholes feeding this circus. Am I too weak to look away? Are you too weak to look away?

And yet, as some have argued, without this attention, given the influence of the Murdaugh family in South Carolina, there may have been even more coverups, more sloppy investigation, more betrayal of justice – and the family members of Stephen Smith, Gloria Satterfield, and Mallory Beach would not have hope of finding answers about the loss of the loved ones if not for all this heat.
https://www.laineygossip.com/journa...-carolina-with-podcast-murdaugh-murders/69383
I agree that I am to weak to look away. This is in the top 3 threads I have followed. I'm addicted to audio books (and I mean 3 or more a week) and mysteries are one of my favorite. This case tops any fictional books I've read or listened to. I think everything that comes out has been twisted for so long that finding out the truth will never happen. We will only know what is feed to the public. JMHO

So CES followed him to the spot that the shooting happened? I suppose he could have slashed AM's tire at AM's house with AM's knife. He could have followed him with the intent to murder him. He is a bad shot and was having an off day on drugs like yesterday and he misses. AM has to explain something to LE at the time. He takes a week to think about it and hears there may be video so the Suicide story was born. Better than trying to explain why he was shot by CES. He did not try to commit suicide IMHO...I don't believe the shooting has anything to do with suicide.
Neither do I. Did AM “confess” so the narrative was already in place for CES to follow the script? How many shots did CES fire that night? How many times did AM and CES speak afterwards but before the confession? I think AM was impulsively writing his starring role lines pulled from the Sadfishing playbook.

Murdaugh’s lawyers said he has been in drug rehab for about 10 days after his law firm fired him over missing money that could total millions of dollars.

Murdaugh’s lawyers said he decided to kill himself the next day, but have someone else shoot him. Murdaugh gave Curtis Edward Smith a gun and they headed to lonely Old Salkehatchie Road. Smith fired one shot that only grazed Murdaugh’s head, a State Law Enforcement Division agent said in a sworn statement.
Lawyer Says Murdaugh to Turn Himself in on Insurance Fraud

Smith answered basic questions and signed forms, affirming that he understood the proceedings against hm. Alexander asked Smith if he'll apply for representation by a public defender."I'm probably going to go for one, yes," he responded.
Bail set at $55,000 for man accused of attempting to stage Alex Murdaugh's suicide

Curtis 'Eddie' Smith boasted to friends that cops 'wouldn't find anything' when they searched his home and appeared untroubled despite being told he was a suspect in the shooting of Alex Murdaugh, DailyMail.com can reveal.

But, while neighbors expressed shock at this latest twist in the spiraling Murdaugh saga, one long-time acquaintance told DailyMail.com that Smith had been talking of his potential involvement in the crime when out in Walterboro last week.

According to Henry Vandermark, who has known the man he described as 'straight-dealing' and 'friendly,' for more than a decade, Smith was blasé when he told him that cops had visited his Walterboro home last week and informed him that he was a suspect in the bizarre roadside shooting.

He said: 'He told me, 'the police have been round and told me I'm a suspect [in the Alex Murdaugh shooting] and wanted to search my house.' 'I said, 'Go ahead, you won't find anything.'

Despite Smith's admission, Vandermark said that he 'couldn't believe it' when he saw that his long-time acquaintance had been arrested Tuesday.

In fact, investigators had been closing in on the man whom Murdaugh hired to shoot him while attorneys for Murdaugh were still publicly peddling the tale of a random roadside ambush even offering more 'facts' given by their client in a bid to shore up his story.

He had rocked to and fro in his seat throughout the hearing and as he made to leave muttered: 'This is bogus. It's all bogus.' Asked by the judge if he had anything else to say he remained silent.
Alex Murdaugh's 'hitman' boasted that cops 'wouldn't find anything' at his South Carolina home | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
This case is certainly a lesson in how things can malfunction in criminal justice systems. It shows how people can cleverly rig the system to make it work, or not work.

Most importantly, it's a lesson in why constant transparency in government at all levels is imperative.

Several years ago, an outrage resulted when, during the investigation of the Rhoden Family Massacre in Ohio, the state banned public/news media access to all autopsy reports. The change was approved by the Ohio Supreme Court. Some folks defended the change, saying there was no need for the public to have access to details of how someone died.

This case is an example of why that transparency for A/Rs is necessary. It's because someone who was murdered or abused in a nursing home, etc. can't have their COD reported as natural causes. As grim as an AR is, the news media and the public need to have access to the information when criminal activity or abuse is suspected.
Amen Betty P! You got that right. Poor Gloria S. was just a paycheck to them. We'll tell you what happened, what to put on her death certificate and don't to an autopsy for the record.

The Hampton County coroner who is asking questions now is only doing so, IMO, because the S. boy's lawyer is on the case and shed enough light.

It makes you wonder where were the doctors who treat GS, where's their account of her injuries and death. She lingered for days, did she not? Is that all hidden behind HIPA? Might be the only accounting of GS's death.

And two more things...No EMS or police sent to M house for her. So transported to the hospital by?? AM's lawyer has the nerve to say in that interview AM had nothing to do with GS's death. She died on his property, on his steps.

Neither do I. Did AM “confess” so the narrative was already in place for CES to follow the script? How many shots did CES fire that night? How many times did AM and CES speak afterwards but before the confession? I think AM was impulsively writing his starring role lines pulled from the Sadfishing playbook.
IIRC SLED said 7-10 casings were found

I don’t think he hired his backwoods cousin to kill him. I think he convinced him to stage a “shooting” to redirect the investigation and make it look like “someone” was after the Murdaughs. The scheme quickly fell apart and this is what they came up with. MOO

Just listened to Cory's interview. One of my takeaways. I had no idea that Alex's dad was aware of Maggie and Paul's death and visited with Alex earlier in the day he "succumbed to his death". Did he off himself? Seriously, I would not be surprised one bit. He may have over dosed himself on pain meds, JMO.

Very interesting. Dick says RMIII went and saw Alex and after returning home succumbed to his cancer a couple hours later.

Just listened to it too. FWIW - Dick said of Moselle that it was AM’s home: “That’s where he slept every night with Maggie and Paul.”

I’m not convinced that Dick actually knows where Maggie and Paul slept every night but wanted to note it.

I wish that were true but I have a feeling Alex has been taught exactly the opposite for his entire life, and seen it proven time and time again

Bribes! Bribes to keep his psycho kid out of prison, payment for dirty work done by local criminals etc. Like @Mirandartv says, "favors". That term has a good broad meaning yet somehow also doesn't really adequately express just how despicable it is.

Honestly it hasn't even occurred to me that someone might take a sad event like someone having a heart attack or stroke and suddenly dying in their home, install one of their cronies to represent the deceased's family and sue themselves for negligence they weren't even guilty of to get a large settlement from their own insurance company, nearly all of which they would then steal from the family. I would have thought it wasn't worth it but I definitely don't know nearly as much about lawsuits and insurance as Alex Murdaugh

I have started imagining that Paul's appeal might have started with Satterfield's death, however it might have occurred. He may have seen first hand that his father could dictate the circumstances around people's deaths and Paul being an actual psychopath born into a "normal evil" family, upon realizing just how powerful they also were, at that point entered into the wildest time of life with zero regard for human life. Someone like that might hit someone with a baseball bat from a moving car like they were a mailbox or drunkenly crash a boat full of other kids in the middle of the night with the utmost confidence that his dad could sweep it all away.

Especially if his mother also coddled him and made him believe he could do no wrong. A relationship like that could easily be seen by a father as being the cause of his son's psychopathy, psychopathy that was slowly but surely consuming more of the family's resources than were being replaced. Then when that wife starts poking into the finances that you blame her son and have come to indirectly also blame her for wrecking, making signals like she might be considering leaving the family she made and is seeing how much money there is left for her to get her piece of... Well, that mother and son might just find out how big the rug is and how much can be self under it.

I originally wanted this to be a victim's family taking the law into their own hands on Paul. I didn't like that Maggie would have been collateral damage but it gave me a sense of hope to think that a "little person" might have gotten some justice against Paul and it might have set a series of events in motion that would undo the generations of injustice in that county. I guess that's my pioneer spirit but as things unravel it looks more and more like it's just another echelon of corruption and even if Alex swings for it, we'll never know who all he paid off and they will continue to sit there getting paid off by whoever the next Alex Murdaugh is. Makes me sick.
Good post! And remember SS's death came three years before GS's "trip and fall".

Still waiting to see who AM and his lawyers think murdered PM and MM. Are they going to accuse the Senior Murdaugh of hiring someone now that he is dead? He didn't want the family's secrets exposed from the audit or something like that?

Isn't a bond hearing the same thing as an arraignment?

Judge is reading him his rights, including a right to an attorney's representation. Wasn't he already Mirandized when arrested?

He appears at this hearing with no attorney to represent him and explain things to him!?

Considering how he looked and acted for his drug charges bail bond (virtual hearing) and transport video, he still has no lawyer with him?

What is going on!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member