Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know whether he's been out in public since returning home. Is he hiding from just the police or in general? Did he have marks on him that need to fully heal?

Why, if he has done nothing wrong is he hiding? It makes no sense. If he's innocent, then innocent people bend over backwards to prove this. Even if he and Gabby had a huge argument and he hates her, surely a decent person would provide everything he knows to her family, or at least to the police? Surely he'd still want her to be safe?

If it turns out that he is innocent of harming her, then this behaviour is destroying his reputation and that of his family.

If he did harm her, he and his family are very naive if they think hiding will be of any benefit. There's a lot of very clever, experienced and determined people working on this case and they won't give up until they have found Gabby and worked out what happened to her.

We won't give up either.

If BL has not shown his face to the police how do they know he’s really at his parents’ home?
He clearly doesn’t want to do anything to help find Gabby.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he left his phone at his parents house and fled before the police even got there to talk to him.
He had a full two weeks and apparently the aid of his parents and a lawyer, to plan his getaway. This is a guy likes to be on the road.
I just don’t believe that he’s sitting in a bedroom, avoiding windows and waiting for the cops to go away. MOO

With respect to his account: I'd scratch you and claw my way back into "my" car and secure "my" vehicle and phone too if you had locked me out and threatened to leave me there with nothing. At this point it appears the officers did not know that she was concerned he'd leave her but later this became clear on a second interview of the witness. Their concern for Brian was misplaced - but it seems they did not know this at the time.

Everything about that body cam footage of the police interviewing them screams to me he gaslit her. She kept blaming herself that he got frustrated, that he got impatient, etc etc. I’m not saying she shared no responsibility for whatever their issues were or that she didn’t have responsibility for her own actions, however it’s quite clear that BL made GP believe that all their troubles and all HIS actions were caused by herself. Classic.

I see a very vulnerable young woman, very distraught, with a man who has no interest in continuing on.

I'm thankful LE separated them, for the night at least.

I think he has a MORAL OBLIGATION to fully disclose to LE, and in private to her family the honest truth about their last interactions, where and how they parted, and where to most likely find her.

MORAL OBLIGATION
IMO, I think they all know. Does he seem like someone with morals? Apples. All of them.

I think young people these days particularly have heightened concern about interacting with LE at all, and no one wants to hand off their phone to a stranger, least of all to authorities.

Playing Devil’s Advocate here. How do you know the van was stolen? Was it reported stolen? What is the evidence of a crime?
What if GP told BL that she was done? What if she said, “Take my van back to FL. I need time. I’ll catch up with you later.”
To be certain, I don’t think this is what happened at all. However, GP is an adult. She can disappear if she wants to.
These issues which are so frustrating to us are the ones that protect our rights. Right now, LE has no probable cause. When they get it you can be sure things will start to happen quickly.
In the meantime, LE cannot trample all over a person’s rights because they think they know what happened. Believe me, LE gets just as frustrated in these cases as we do. If we find out that BL has done something to harm GP, we don’t want the case to get thrown out because of LE errors.

Old cop, at the end of the day he wasn't on the title. We know he stole her van. You know this. She almost got arrested for trying to stay with the van weeks earlier. Does it make sense she would give it up later? And what do you make of her apparent lack of proof of life? We don't know if LE has probable cause or not. But the signs point to it.

It’s totally possible him not having a phone was more service related than physical. As in maybe he couldn’t afford to swing the bill or opted to not pay it that month to use the money for something else for them on their trip. If this is what they did maybe it was even done prior to that month and could have even been more reason for tensions because they’d have to remain even more together throughout the trip because only one of them had a phone whereas if they both had one they could possibly go off in other directions for a little while since they could communicate to regroup via phone. Just a thought.

Maybe so they wouldn't separate them. Maybe in his mind, if he had no phone he wouldn't have anyway of contacting her to get back together the next day.

To be clear, BL had a phone in his possession. It was in his pocket and he showed it to the Officer(s) as seen in the video. Gabby was worried that he would not have a phone charger and that was her last message for him. He confirmed he had a charger when he left for his hotel.

Both GP and BL had their own phones when they were separated as confirmed in the written incident report.

The only excuse for physical violence is to defend yourself from an attack.

Another problematic action of Gabby's is, when the cops were trying to pull them over, she grabbed the wheel of the vehicle and jerked the vehicle so the tires struck the curb.

She seems to be a little out of control in her actions, IMO.

Still, none of this justifies the guy keeping silent regarding her whereabouts.

i am fascinated by this thread. We have GP ON VIDEO claiming she was the aggressor. We have her ON VIDEO saying she has extreme anxiety and OCD that makes her ‘mean’ and in bad moods and causes her to treat BL badly. We have her on video claiming ALL of this. If BL was on video saying these things people would be losing their minds and calling him a killer (which they already are) If he didn’t support her blogging that’s crappy and I hate it made her feel badly but it doesn’t make him a murderer. She just started blogging very recently and not everybody wants every second of their life documented. If she made the decision to blog on her own and he didn’t like the idea, why does that make him a bad person? Genuinely curious.

GP has admitted she was in a poor mental state and doesn’t act all that great when she’s having a bad day. To claim all her feelings are rational just so she doesn’t fall into a trope is curious as she is the one literally saying all of these things herself. She’s saying these things herself. If they are fighting and he’s asking for space because he’s getting physically assaulted - which they both admit and he has scratches and marks to back it up - what is wrong with wanting to keep yourself safe?

If GP locked herself in a van to get away from BL slapping her, would you all react the same way? Of course it’s within the context of her missing, but this altercation between them changes this all for me. If roles were reversed I don’t think many people would be giving BL empathy and compassion. I’m not saying he deserves it, I’m just fascinated that domestic violence isn’t seen the same way when it’s a women doing it.

BL is the worst if he did leave her - which it looks like he did. But we don’t know if he left her with people or not. But why isn’t it plausible she had another really bad day (she was physically assaulting him and even grabbed the wheel of a moving vehicle causing them to hit a curb, that’s so dangerous) and decided to take off? She was curating this perfect online persona and embarrassment could really, really affect somebody who has anxiety and OCD and other issues.

i say this as a woman who suffers from extreme anxiety. It can be hard for others to handle when I’m in a manic state and can’t talk myself down. My partner has to often physically distance himself from, sometimes for days. When my partner and I almost broke up I seriously started planning just taking off. I hadn’t been working and relied on them for a lot and the embarrassment of my life not working out was crippling. I live out west and I thought a lot about how easy it would be for me to find travel groups and just go. She claims she doesn’t drive the van, etc, which leaves me to believe there was a lot of anxiety and co-dependency at play. Her panic at being on her own could have easily taken over and caused her to take off with others, including unsavory people.

I can’t get around how weird it is he isn’t speaking at all, but that’s his legal right even if we don’t understand the moral side of it. leaving her alone is also really awful and he should be ashamed of himself - and if something happened to her he should be held accountable if he can be - but how do we know she hasn’t hit him before? He was too calm about it and it makes me feel this wasn’t their first physical fight. Would you blame a women for taking off and leaving somebody who physically assaults them behind?

I’m playing devil’s advocate here, obviously. My heart breaks for GP being 22 and already struggling with her mental health so much. I was there and it’s so incredibly difficult. I really, really hope she’s ok and I can’t imagine what her family is going through knowing nothing at all.

I see a very vulnerable young woman, very distraught, with a man who has no interest in continuing on.

I'm thankful LE separated them, for the night at least.

I think he has a MORAL OBLIGATION to fully disclose to LE, and in private to her family the honest truth about their last interactions, where and how they parted, and where to most likely find her.

MORAL OBLIGATION
I think you have 100% agreement on his moral obligations.

In the bodycam video I see a deteriorating relationship between a couple of kids who are trying to deal with a very stressful situation possibly with an overlay of mental health issues. It likely resulted in one of their deaths.

Whatever happened his behavior afterward is 100% unacceptable from a moral standpoint.

From a legal standpoint, not talking is obviously the best course of action. I hate that, but it is.

Brian said Gabby grabbed the wheel, Gabby denied this. I believe he was also speeding.
In the footage you hear the officer say there was erratic driving prior to GP allegedly yanking the wheel. The officer later says he believed he had BL attention well before the car was yanked to a stop. GP claimed the action was to make him pull over. Later BL apologise for not stopping for some time.

Everything about that body cam footage of the police interviewing them screams to me he gaslit her. She kept blaming herself that he got frustrated, that he got impatient, etc etc. I’m not saying she shared no responsibility for whatever their issues were or that she didn’t have responsibility for her own actions, however it’s quite clear that BL made GP believe that all their troubles and all HIS actions were caused by herself. Classic.
Classic abuse.

Maybe it wasn’t charged!

When a police officer asks about your phone and you tell him you don’t have one it doesn’t matter one bit if it’s charged or not.
If he meant to communicate that his phone wasn’t charged it would be very simple to say my phone is dead.
He clearly said that he didn’t even have a phone and that was a lie. MOO

Last edited:
If they charged him with Grand Theft, Auto, wouldn't he be required to prove he owned the van or had her permission, at the last time they were together, to leave with it and drive 2200 miles away from her last know location?

I'm not so
The owner of the vehicle is missing and has gone silent to her family and on SM.. she likely can't report it stolen. The person in possession of the vehicle was the last to see the missing person and now he has her vehicle 2000 miles away from where she was last known to be. I just think if I went missing and someone was found in possession my vehicle, regardless of who they were to me, I would hope it would still be considered stolen because I'm not there to say otherwise.

This. I don't like when mental illness comes up in cases like this, because suddenly a lot of people start to think/care less of the victim and theorize they just did something to themselves (hurt themself or ran away in a "manic" episode for example) vs looking at the other party that is "stable", regardless of all the extremely shady details around his side of the story.
But sadly it happens!

I think you have 100% agreement on his moral obligations.

In the bodycam video I see a deteriorating relationship between a couple of kids who are trying to deal with a very stressful situation possibly with an overlay of mental health issues. It likely resulted in one of their deaths.

Whatever happened his behavior afterward is 100% unacceptable from a moral standpoint.

From a legal standpoint, not talking is obviously the best course of action. I hate that, but it is.

Is there no way he could make a statement about her location and then remain silent. unless there was foul play he should have every reason to be upfront. They were engaged and I don't see how this could be of any benefit to anyone except him if he's done something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks