Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
We shouldn’t assume anything about what mental illness(es) either Gabby or Brian may have. As for her saying she has OCD and anxiety, I wouldn’t be surprised if BL ‘diagnosed’ her with that because her cleanliness definitely bothered him (which he himself says in the body cam footage) and gaslit her into thinking shes “crazy” (which he also jokingly says to an officer). Being trapped in a van for months with someone who regularly accuses you of things and blames their problems on you could understandably alter ones perception of themselves.

Bottom line: unless/until we have evidence of either BL or GP having a diagnosed mental illness, I don’t think it’s fair to attribute their behavior to anything other than emotions/tensions running high.
So it is not okay to take her word and accept she suffers from mental illness, but it is okay to say he's a gaslighter? Alright then.

She said shes.
Is there no way he could make a statement about her location and then remain silent. unless there was foul play he should have every reason to be upfront. They were engaged and I don't see how this could be of any benefit to anyone except him if he's done something
They were no longer engaged!

i am fascinated by this thread. We have GP ON VIDEO claiming she was the aggressor. We have her ON VIDEO saying she has extreme anxiety and OCD that makes her ‘mean’ and in bad moods and causes her to treat BL badly. We have her on video claiming ALL of this. If BL was on video saying these things people would be losing their minds and calling him a killer (which they already are) If he didn’t support her blogging that’s crappy and I hate it made her feel badly but it doesn’t make him a murderer. She just started blogging very recently and not everybody wants every second of their life documented. If she made the decision to blog on her own and he didn’t like the idea, why does that make him a bad person? Genuinely curious.

GP has admitted she was in a poor mental state and doesn’t act all that great when she’s having a bad day. To claim all her feelings are rational just so she doesn’t fall into a trope is curious as she is the one literally saying all of these things herself. She’s saying these things herself. If they are fighting and he’s asking for space because he’s getting physically assaulted - which they both admit and he has scratches and marks to back it up - what is wrong with wanting to keep yourself safe?

If GP locked herself in a van to get away from BL slapping her, would you all react the same way? Of course it’s within the context of her missing, but this altercation between them changes this all for me. If roles were reversed I don’t think many people would be giving BL empathy and compassion. I’m not saying he deserves it, I’m just fascinated that domestic violence isn’t seen the same way when it’s a women doing it.

BL is the worst if he did leave her - which it looks like he did. But we don’t know if he left her with people or not. But why isn’t it plausible she had another really bad day (she was physically assaulting him and even grabbed the wheel of a moving vehicle causing them to hit a curb, that’s so dangerous) and decided to take off? She was curating this perfect online persona and embarrassment could really, really affect somebody who has anxiety and OCD and other issues.

i say this as a woman who suffers from extreme anxiety. It can be hard for others to handle when I’m in a manic state and can’t talk myself down. My partner has to often physically distance himself from, sometimes for days. When my partner and I almost broke up I seriously started planning just taking off. I hadn’t been working and relied on them for a lot and the embarrassment of my life not working out was crippling. I live out west and I thought a lot about how easy it would be for me to find travel groups and just go. She claims she doesn’t drive the van, etc, which leaves me to believe there was a lot of anxiety and co-dependency at play. Her panic at being on her own could have easily taken over and caused her to take off with others, including unsavory people.

I can’t get around how weird it is he isn’t speaking at all, but that’s his legal right even if we don’t understand the moral side of it. leaving her alone is also really awful and he should be ashamed of himself - and if something happened to her he should be held accountable if he can be - but how do we know she hasn’t hit him before? He was too calm about it and it makes me feel this wasn’t their first physical fight. Would you blame a women for taking off and leaving somebody who physically assaults them behind?

I’m playing devil’s advocate here, obviously. My heart breaks for GP being 22 and already struggling with her mental health so much. I was there and it’s so incredibly difficult. I really, really hope she’s ok and I can’t imagine what her family is going through knowing nothing at all.

It's been days now with no proof of life. No texts to family. Unless she somewhere having a hard time coming out because of fear or some other reason. But it's just hard to believe she wouldn't have made contact. But possible.

She's a complete mess imo. We cant rule out suicide. She disappears and he drives home with her van?

She disappears in a distraught state and never comes back…. So he doesn’t look for her or call the police? He doesn’t inform her parents, or report her missing? Instead he just takes her vehicle and presumably all of her belongings and forgets all about her. Does that seem realistic to you? He is engaged and lives with her, he had to know people would wonder where she was.

Its.registered.to.his home.address!
The van was at that address
Is the insurance in both their names?
His DL has same address?
Do we know this for sure-do you have a link regarding the registration? I thought I read that it was registered to her dad as well, so I’m interested to see something that’s validated to show this piece.

If I thought my bf of 2 years was going to abandon me nearly 3000 miles from my home and family... in a van we had worked together to convert with plans to commit to travel in, in a freedom-loving but logical plan... I would likely have behaved the same as GP. (Call me crazy but that's my opinion)

22 minutes into body cam the officers go into a lengthy discussion about Gabby being the aggressor. Yet unless I missed it, they have yet to look at the vehicle registration to see that it was registered in her name which *should* have then prompted further questioning leading them to learn that he was threatening to leave with her property. This seems a big mistake. A routine step would be to check and run that Reg. They ran their names but not the vehicle?

Near the beginning of the video the officer requests a "10-28" on the vehicle saying it has Florida tags. That's a registration check.

Seriously? And the cop let them go on their merry way? A lot of truth is said in jest!
They did t go on their merry way
Brian was sent to a hotel. She got the van
I think the next day they had to.go.the court house!

I keep going back to him not being able to locate her upon his return from FL or coming into contact with her only to be told she found new travel companions while he was away, maybe even to spite him for leaving her for that short while. It’s a very real possibility she told him to take the van. Maybe she could not afford it anymore by herself. If she found a new group they might have had alternate means of transportation. Maybe she broke up with him as soon as he returned and felt guilty for Brian making the return back only for that to happen and therefore told him to take the van. Speculation of course. I just can’t wrap my head around him willingly leaving her if he didn’t think she was ok. Not after yesterday’s statement from his lawyer and certainly not after the bodycam footage released today. I could see him leaving if he couldn’t find her after a period of time though because at that point he might start to suspect the worst and emotionally couldn’t deal or perhaps he was fed up. I don’t know. I just don’t think he is as guilty as I originally thought he could be. We really need some kind of sign of her. In any form.

I don't think it was an argument over a phone. After viewing the video and comparing it to the incident report, I find variances.

I believe GP struck BL in the face with her phone when they were seen on the street arguing (and BL directing her to go for a walk). She was afraid he would leave alone in the van and she refused. I think the witness account may also have been misrepresented in the report.

I'm glad the video was released. MOO

In footage he states it started over her setting up a new page without him then continues when he was making a mess. At Moon(view?) the witness tried to separate them. She would not leave - we know now that this was because he was in her car with her phone.

She clawed her way into the car after he locked her out, going to the driver's side and literally climbing over him into the pax seat. Shortly after they were pulled over. Is it strange that she was upset? Not a bit. Getting pulled over is unnerving in and of itself but getting pulled over on the heels of this big event that had just occurred moments before is a whole 'nother level for her I'm sure.

Forgive me for asking this again, but is an attorney obligated to report a missing person to police or follow up with LE regarding a missing person if their client is asking for representation in a missing persons case?

If that person is in possible danger, yes.

This is what I'm finding most telling. The complete shut out by the lawyer. If Gabby walked off, or even if there was an accident the lawyer is obligated to give information to police if he knows that she's in danger. It's one of the only exceptions to attorney-client privilege.
The attorney isn't saying anything which tells me he knows that Gabby isn't in danger because she's already deceased.

The only excuse for physical violence is to defend yourself from an attack.

Another problematic action of Gabby's is, when the cops were trying to pull them over, she grabbed the wheel of the vehicle and jerked the vehicle so the tires struck the curb.

She seems to be a little out of control in her actions, IMO.

Still, none of this justifies the guy keeping silent regarding her whereabouts.

We don’t know that the scratches weren’t defensive. He seems very very set against her being arrested and I suspect it is because he didn’t want the cops getting her to the station and questioning her. If she wasn’t comfortable driving she may have kept his abuse of her to herself because she didn’t want him arrested and unable to drive her home. MOO

It’s taking me 2 hours to watch an hour long video because there are so many concerning/odd things I am observing. However, one thing I just saw really concerns me (again, this may have been mentioned already). The officer asks for his phone number. The audio is redacted for a while after that, but Brian takes his phone out of his pocket and looks at it while talking. I’m quite concerned that this phone is a prepaid phone he had just got and had to look at the phone to get the number. If so, if this was the only phone he had on his drive back to Florida AND, perhaps by the time warrants for the phone might be issued, the phone will be gone, I don’t see how they would be able to track his movement IF this was a prepaid phone and IF it ends up missing.

JMO

The only excuse for physical violence is to defend yourself from an attack.

Another problematic action of Gabby's is, when the cops were trying to pull them over, she grabbed the wheel of the vehicle and jerked the vehicle so the tires struck the curb.

She seems to be a little out of control in her actions, IMO.

Still, none of this justifies the guy keeping silent regarding her whereabouts.

We don’t know that the scratches weren’t defensive. He seems very very set against her being arrested and I suspect it is because he didn’t want the cops getting her to the station and questioning her. If she wasn’t comfortable driving she may have kept his abuse of her to herself because she didn’t want him arrested and unable to drive her home. MOO

JMO. Considering he tried to leave her and drive off previously, does anybody not think that maybe they had another fight but this time he really did just leave her in the middle of nowhere and go home with her van AND phone?
He’s possibly staying silent and his family have got him a lawyer because him and his parents both know he left her in the middle of nowhere and she’ll be found. But he doesn’t want to talk in case she doesn’t get found and he incriminates himself? Maybe doesn’t want to tell police he left her because they might not believe him? Just a thought. Although a bigger part of me feels it’s something way more sinister and something doesn’t settle right.

I find it oddly weird that they both were into morbid podcasts and books about murders in valley and deserts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail