SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just from doing family history research I’ve seen bunches of death certificates from SC and I have never seen one where the cause of death was termed simple “natural”. Even for people who we all say died of old age it never says that. It always some heart thing or some medical speak or something. That applies to recent as well as to wayback time. So it’s a bit puzzling for sure.

The claim of a drug dealer in conjunction with his stated opioid addition also seems strange.

AM is affluent and has cultivated a variety of connections to a variety of people over the course of his life. These connections are in turn supported by the connections maintained by family members over generations.

Connecting the dots......

Opioid is a legal drug and a certain number of the drug dealers wear white coats and operate from "pain clinics". Though the number of insane pill mills with lines of addicts out the door has shrank, white coat connections are still very available. Sadly, a friend of mine has one.

Getting to the point.....

I doubt somebody like connected AM with an opioid addiction would have even a higher end street dealer. Too much risk of different dramas, including blackmail or violent "rip offs" by a desperate dealer / addict.

Rather, such a person would have a white coat connection. No dingy pill mill waiting room for him. Rather, his white coat dealer would operate from a fully private clinic in Charleston. Other customers could include local politicians, business owners / senior government, large church clergy and..... other doctors.

I am thinking about 12-15k a year for the special prescriptions from the ohhh so very private clinic. Lets say 5K a year for the pills. This yields 20k max. Somebody like AM could maintain that cash flow indefintely.
There is the question...what happened to the millions taken? Thanks for the calculations, it helps clarify.

Like the old commercial about drugs: couple of eggs cooking in a skillet. Here’s your brain on drugs. IMO, no way AM is a functioning druggie. He might be a heavy drinker, and that’s why he did not continue on as Solicitor in 2005(?), but drugs? People I know on drugs are beyond mentally deficient. You cannot be any kind of professional and keep up the workload. Alcohol, yes. Functioning alcoholic. Yes. I know of a couple. Drugs? Nope. But maybe some of you know of functioning druggies. I’d love to know bc it’s something to watch for when you’re in the real world, need help and stumble on a professional with drug issues.
ER Nurse from boating accident said he was there smelling of alcohol at 3 in the morning.

“That Saturday morning, he was trying to get off the opioids; he was not taking any of them, was in a massive depression, realized things were going to get really, really bad, and decided to end his life,” Harpootlian said.
Bonkers South Carolina Crime Saga Takes Another Bonkers Turn

*…the opioids…not taking any of them…
So, Mr. H., how many different forms of opioids was AM taking? So, reading between the lines, he was not trying to get off the opioids on Friday or days before?

All of a sudden, he wakes up, possibly still feeling his drug of choice’s euphoria from the night before.

decides he’s not gonna follow his morning ritual of twenty years, skips his usual bump, suddenly falls into a dark dark dark place.

He groans out a holler for his good old drug dealer and says, “Morning Eddie, I’m feeling like I need to go even deeper into my dark dark dark place - would ya mind coming on over for a cup of coffee so I can give you a gun to shoot and kill me later at a dark dark dark place so what’s left of my family can throw me in an everlasting dark dark dark hole?
And considering his cold turkey status that day and EC's apparent lack of body stillness and hacking fits, ir's a wonder AM even got grazed by a bullet.

JamieinLA, In your post on the last thread you wrote...

"Then, inside the house at the scene of the double homicide, law enforcement officials said they found evidence linking the Murdaugh family to the death of Steven Smith."

I hadn't heard that it was in the house at Moselle where SLED found something that spurred them to reopen SS case!?

Do you have a link to where you saw that? TIA

I just looked, and they aren’t saying it was “evidence” per se. Just that they “ uncovered new information regarding Stephen Smith’s death while investigating the double homicide“ at Moselle. Whatever they found caused them to reopen the investigation into Stephen Smith‘s death.

It was discussed in the Murdaugh Murders podcast and is mentioned in this article:

SLED opens own investigation into death of Stephen Smith

I wish that were true but I have a feeling Alex has been taught exactly the opposite for his entire life, and seen it proven time and time again

Bribes! Bribes to keep his psycho kid out of prison, payment for dirty work done by local criminals etc. Like @Mirandartv says, "favors". That term has a good broad meaning yet somehow also doesn't really adequately express just how despicable it is.

Honestly it hasn't even occurred to me that someone might take a sad event like someone having a heart attack or stroke and suddenly dying in their home, install one of their cronies to represent the deceased's family and sue themselves for negligence they weren't even guilty of to get a large settlement from their own insurance company, nearly all of which they would then steal from the family. I would have thought it wasn't worth it but I definitely don't know nearly as much about lawsuits and insurance as Alex Murdaugh

I have started imagining that Paul's appeal might have started with Satterfield's death, however it might have occurred. He may have seen first hand that his father could dictate the circumstances around people's deaths and Paul being an actual psychopath born into a "normal evil" family, upon realizing just how powerful they also were, at that point entered into the wildest time of life with zero regard for human life. Someone like that might hit someone with a baseball bat from a moving car like they were a mailbox or drunkenly crash a boat full of other kids in the middle of the night with the utmost confidence that his dad could sweep it all away.

Especially if his mother also coddled him and made him believe he could do no wrong. A relationship like that could easily be seen by a father as being the cause of his son's psychopathy, psychopathy that was slowly but surely consuming more of the family's resources than were being replaced. Then when that wife starts poking into the finances that you blame her son and have come to indirectly also blame her for wrecking, making signals like she might be considering leaving the family she made and is seeing how much money there is left for her to get her piece of... Well, that mother and son might just find out how big the rug is and how much can be self under it.

I originally wanted this to be a victim's family taking the law into their own hands on Paul. I didn't like that Maggie would have been collateral damage but it gave me a sense of hope to think that a "little person" might have gotten some justice against Paul and it might have set a series of events in motion that would undo the generations of injustice in that county. I guess that's my pioneer spirit but as things unravel it looks more and more like it's just another echelon of corruption and even if Alex swings for it, we'll never know who all he paid off and they will continue to sit there getting paid off by whoever the next Alex Murdaugh is. Makes me sick.
You’re so on point. Your commentary is impressive and I like it. You make me smile cause you’re saying so many things I want to say but know I would crudely word my thoughts so I don’t. Don’t give up hoping for change. It took generations to build this legal dynasty - this quasi-kingdom with Murdaugh monarchy rulers and their squires. Perhaps they’ve forgotten - they’re outnumbered by us serfs and peasants. The Deep South has many set-in-stone traditions and values, some of which I love and hold dear as part of my heritage. Words have power. Nothing is so powerful as the written word. Folks, remember this:
There’s more than one way to skin a cat…
~Welcome to the South y’all.

I have a friend that just got out of rehab for an extended use and addiction to oxy, there is no way he would have been able to be in a courtroom in 10 days. He was still deathly ill, it took him about 3 weeks to even start to feel human again. An addict would still be in the throws of withdrawal. I am not buying the degree of addiction his attorney is trying to sell.

Amen Betty P! You got that right. Poor Gloria S. was just a paycheck to them. We'll tell you what happened, what to put on her death certificate and don't to an autopsy for the record.

The Hampton County coroner who is asking questions now is only doing so, IMO, because the S. boy's lawyer is on the case and shed enough light.

It makes you wonder where were the doctors who treat GS, where's their account of her injuries and death. She lingered for days, did she not? Is that all hidden behind HIPA? Might be the only accounting of GS's death.

And two more things...No EMS or police sent to M house for her. So transported to the hospital by?? AM's lawyer has the nerve to say in that interview AM had nothing to do with GS's death. She died on his property, on his steps.
RBBM. DICK is playing with semantics. I noticed it, too. “Alex didn’t have anything to do with X, Y, Z”, but the scope is bigger than that. We are lumping Paul and perhaps even Buster into the question. True, Alex wasn’t “directly” responsible for the boat crash that caused Mallory’s death, or even Gloria’s “accident” (“Alex wasn’t even home at the time, how can he be responsible?”) BUT PAUL WAS, and that means—by family association—that Alex shares some responsibility. Same with Gloria. Same with Steve. MOO.

I have a friend that just got out of rehab for an extended use and addiction to oxy, there is no way he would have been able to be in a courtroom in 10 days. He was still deathly ill, it took him about 3 weeks to even start to feel human again. An addict would still be in the throws of withdrawal. I am not buying the degree of addiction his attorney is trying to sell.
Not a chance. I agree. If his shirt and forehead aren’t covered in sweat; if he isn’t covering his ears from noise and shielding his eyes from lights; if he’s talking much louder than a whisper; if he’s not stopping people in mid-conversation to request a bathroom break; if he’s not s*ing his pants in front of the judge; if tears aren’t rolling down his face - then he’s an amateur addict. At best.

No, an arraignment and bond hearing are not the same. Bond hearings can occur anytime and often there is more than one. At an initial appearance, usually within 24-48 hours of arrest, the defendant is told the charges against him, but the defendant does not enter a plea, but bond will usually be set then, at least initially. Then, usually a couple weeks later, an arraignment is held where the defendant is again advised of the charges and will enter a plea at that time.
The Miranda rights advisement that he is entitled to an attorney is applicable to a defendant that is in police custody and is about his rights to not speak to police. After arrest, the court will advise the defendant that he is entitled to have an attorney represent him in the case and that one may even be appointed for him.

Nice Mercedes in that videoo_Oo_Oo_O
I know a single mom of three who was denied a public defender in SC recently because she made too much money as a full time cashier. She lost her house to foreclosure before her case was resolved. If either of these defendants get public defenders I am going to be so mad.

@TasneemN
Alex Murdaugh, the prominent South Carolina lawyer at the center of several investigations, has been arrested and charged with insurance fraud and filing a false police report after he planned his own killing (which he survived) for an insurance payoutCharging docs: Alex Murdaugh slashed his own tire and even provided a gun to the shooter as he attempted to make it look like he had been shot by an unknown assailant on a rural Hampton County road.

E_a0o_cWEAYNAbm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members