Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He has rights" ..........I don't get where not talking should be a right when a persons life could be at risk (called immanent danger by OSHA and triggers special treatment)........explain please someone....benefits/ risk please of not saving the life possibly and he gets to hide????
You have the right to remain silent. You are protected by the constitution. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty. We can’t invoke these rights when it is convenient and dismiss them when it is not.

Abuse isn’t always physical. Mental and emotional manipulation are also forms of abuse.
Attempting to steal the car and abandon her could certainly be construed as psychological abuse, even if he didn't touch her. Then she gets called the "aggressor" for trying to get her keys back. There's something wrong with this picture, IDK. JMO.

Hi all!
Joining the discussion as it has some very similar feelings to me when I experienced the murder of my friend Kenzie Lueck. I also live in SLC so I might be able to be of help if people have Utah specific questions. Just watched the body cam footage and it seems to add another interesting layer. I know she mentioned OCD and anxiety but those don’t generally always lead to mania so I think BL’s comments about her being manic was very much an exaggeration.
Oh it's so good to see you here for Gabby @yellowmoose - I am thinking he left her sometime on the 26th of August IMO

Apologies as I am late to this but is there any insight into Gabby’s life after high school? She said on the footage that she had been a nutritionist, but I was unable to find anything regarding university or past jobs. I see that she loved travel, and am wondering how she was able to sustain her life with little to no income. I recall reading about Gabby purchasing the van, but I want to know more about her. I’m only seeing socmedia life, not what type of individual she was.
She also said she worked for a juicing business(sorry prob not the best wording)-is that the same one owned by BLs parents? I’m thinking it can’t be or I’d imagine media would be at their place of business wondering why they’re not more worried about their sons gf/once fiancé/former employee….

I wonder if one of the park rangers, who we don’t have the cam footage from, took the phone from GP to BL and said “She asked if you could get this charged up while you’re at the hotel,” or something along those lines, where there’s <modsnip> going on with the cops’ understanding of the phone situation.

Doubtful because she had her phone in her hand at the end of the video when she was getting in the van to leave. Near the end the officer emphasized multiple times for them to separate and not text/contact each other until the next day. Then GP tells LE to tell BL to make sure he has a phone charger; which he replies saying both him and one of the rangers got that and he definitely has one. I believe they both have cell phones. Everything in that video points to both people having cell phones. The officers also got phone numbers from both GP & BL, it was just silenced out on the public video (presumably to not release their personal information like their phone number and addresses.)

Yeah, we don't know ANY of that.

There's no evidence that BL hasn't hit Gabby many times over.

This is such an unfair accusation, to say there is no evidence to show he didn't hit her. That's just twisted, in my opinion.

The huge thing making BL look so suspicious is the fact he drove her van home without her, and that he is not providing any information about the last time he saw her. This is what makes him look so bad, and this is what leads many people to the conclusion that he murdered her.

Attempting to steal the car and abandon her could certainly be construed as psychological abuse, even if he didn't touch her. Then she gets called the "aggressor" for trying to get her keys back. There's something wrong with this picture, IDK. JMO.

Well he admitted he did touch her. He shoved her in the face. I’m certain he was physically abusive but she was so scared of being alone that she didn’t want to admit it,

After watching the body camera footage I have a somewhat different opinion than I did before I watched it.
There's not one bit of evidence that BL was abusive to Gabby. Not one bruise that any relative saw, no prior police records. BL had lots of time and chances to hit Gabby out of the public's view in that van when she was punching him, but he didn't.
This is what I think and I may be way off....
I think BL flew back to Fl. to get away from Gabby. I think emptying the storage unit was just an excuse. It doesn't make sense he'd fly back just for that. I think once he was there, his parents gave him their advice and suggested he called it quits with her. I think he flew back and told Gabby it was over. It's obvious that that poor girl was already depressed. Lots of change, she had quit her job, her relationship was on the rocks and now she'd have to find a place to live. Shattered dreams with a man she didn't even want to spend one night away from when the cops separated them.
I think they went on a hike and Gabby jumped. BL panicked because he thought LE would point the finger to him seeing as now he had a record of DV. So he fled to Fl. More circumstantial evidence pointing to him. His parents may have felt guilty, because they suggested he broke it off. They also thought he'd be a suspect, the fingers would point to him, so they lawyered up. The lawyer told them to keep quiet, so they are. I know it looks like they are cold and callas, and doing so builds even more circumstantial evidence as in a cover up, but they must know that.
I have a lot of respect for the way Moab PD handled this. AZ. is the same as my state. The one that has the scratches and marks is the victim, and the aggressor goes to jail. No exceptions. I wonder how Gabby's mental health would have been if she ended up in jail. I think they skirted the law, and the redacted audio when they were deciding what to do shows that.
All speculation on my part, I'm thinking out loud, and I may be wrong, but to me, it's the only thing that fits. I know many that are good at covering up and hiding their aggression, but I just don't see it with BL. Yeah, he called her crazy, but I don't think he meant she was really crazy. Many people use that phrase when in reality, they are exaggerating.

I think you could be close.

Being in a relationship with someone suffering from mental illness can become an impossible situation. People find themselves taking abuse that they can't defend themselves from, because they know it's not the other person's fault - it's the disease. But that doesn't make it any easier to cope with. I was in a long relationship with someone like that - we'd be having a nice day, walking down the street, and suddenly she'd start yelling and hitting me. Whatever it was would pass, and she'd be like it never happened. The only thing anyone can do, in that situation, is, eventually, leave. And "leaving," in situation like that, also verges on the impossible. It's not like both parties realize "things just aren't working out" - one party has no idea what is happening. It's like the scene on Seinfeld where George says "I'd rather be miserable, for the rest of my life, than go through that scene."

DV is not just physical. Red flags I noticed, based on the Power and Control Wheel developed by the Domestic Abuse Intervention Project in Duluth, MN

Using coercion and threats
- threatening to leave (why, if they were both just going to take walks, as he claimed, did she have to force herself into the driver's side door and climb over him? he had locked her out; the implication that he was leaving was clear)
Using emotional abuse
- putting her down ("she's crazy")
- making her feel bad about herself (she blamed herself for being 'OCD'; he didn't think she could become an influencer)
- making her think she's crazy (If he said "she's crazy" so casually to the police, chances are he's said it directly to her before, too)
- making her feel guilty (her repeated "I'm sorry")
Using isolation
- controlling what she does... where she goes (he was the primary driver; he wanted to leave the public coffee shop, so they did; told her that she needed to take a walk to cool down)
Minimizing, denying, blaming
- making light of abuse (him joking with police about the whole situation)
- shifting responsibility for abusive behavior (he said he was grabbing her face because she was trying to get the keys - which are hers!)
- saying she caused it
Using male privilege
- acting like "master of the castle" (the fight was, according to him, because he kept tracking dirt into the van and moving her things around, which he just laughs off like she's being unreasonable to ask him to clean up after himself)
Thank you for posting this. It’s what I was trying to recall after the Arches bodycam footage. Yes GP was distraught to the degree she was losing it. She shouldn’t have slapped/scratched him. But most of what I witnessed on his end was “crazy-making” behavior, escalating, designed to keep her off balance. It seems to have become a toxic relationship. I think the question now isn’t why’d he go to FL in the middle of this road trip, but WHY’D HE FLY BACK? She had the van & the keys. He was home. They’d “cooled off”. Her stuff was moved out (guessing his parents trying to make the temptation to reunite logistically tougher- maybe they saw this couple cycle through this before?). No reason to return at all. Unless to break up in person? Which led to this outcome. All moo.

I don’t think he didn’t want her arrested for HER sake, because look, she is missing and he doesn’t care. Why would he care about her having a record? He didn’t want her arrested and questioned because then she would feel safer to admit that he has been violent toward her and that she scratched him in self defense. Once she was out of his presence he couldn’t control her anymore and the truth would come out. Moo.
Yeah, but look. She also told the lady cop she didn't want to be without him the night of the domestic incident. I'm not saying that he has no fault in this. I'm clearly pointing out that he "seemed" concerned for her. I'm only going by the video.

Nope. Just like letting someone stay at your house for weeks or months, you can't just kick them out. They have "established a residence". He has clothes and personal belongings in that van.

There are no squatting rights to a van. She can lock him out. She would have to give his stuff back " when requested " to do so. She can't keep his possessions. But she can absolutely lock him out first then give him his possessions.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question! So, if I am understanding this correctly an attorney could have information that someone is deceased and they don’t have to at least report that information to LE? I am genuinely just asking out of curiosity and because I feel it pertains to Gaby of course - I mean that attorney could have known for 10 days and not be obligated to report anything to LE even without naming his client or how he came of the information- if I am understanding that correctly I am also quite alarmed at that!

Yes, an attorney could have knowledge she's deceased and not have to report that.

BUT they are obligated to report information if they know she's in danger. (hypothetical; say the attorney knew that Gabby ran off into the desert on her own threatening suicide- the attorney would be obligated to report that - including the location to police).

It's covered under mandatory disclosure laws and is an exception to attorney client privilege. If the client tells the attorney the location of a missing witness or victim whose life is in imminent danger the attorney has to disclose it.

Now it's ALSO possible the attorney stopped BL from telling him that information. As in BL went to say "I left her at..." and the attorney stopped him from telling him the location so in turn the attorney wouldn't have to disclose it. Then the attorney can claim they don't know where she is and the client hasn't told them. Kinda shady but it does happen.

Do we know this for sure-do you have a link regarding the registration? I thought I read that it was registered to her dad as well, so I’m interested to see something that’s validated to show this piece.
Then its dads.van .
I thought it was registered to her at that address!

Bodycam footage shows cops asking Gabby Petito why she SLAPPED boyfriend days before she vanished | Daily Mail Online
At about 02:33 in the first video in this article; Gabby says --through sobs -- that , (paraphrased, not exact words) "...he wouldn't let me in ..." as in the van.
The cop asks , "...why wouldn't he let you in ...because of your ocd...?" Gabby responds,"Yeah...".
A few thoughts ... I myself do not have ocd, so I can't say how a person acts who has this diagnosis --- but to be locked out of essentially one's home, whilst many miles away from anyone would cause anyone to overreact.
I know for a fact I'd be frightened and if I was already over emotional or anything else-- it would increase any issues I already had.
And from this snippet of video it sounds like this had happened before !
Eta : Bolded the last part of previous sentence as I think it gives a clue towards Gabby's state of mind.

Abuse doesn't have to be physical.
It can be controlling and emotional.
Cruel words and/or insults.
And regardless of the van ownership (although I believe it was her van, so he hadn't the right to take control of her car), to lock someone out is despicable.

My opinion is that LE do not name a 'person of interest' without good cause.
They're more hesitant to do so than they used to be, as naming someone a poi starts the clock ticking.

Also from the link :

'I don't care what happens to him right now,' said Petito's father.
'That can't be my primary focus if he's going to sit in the comfort of his home, you know, and get home cooked meals, why my daughter's out, you know, God knows where, you know, I don't give two craps about him.'
'I got to be out there to help her, because the one person who is supposed to be leading the charge is sitting home in his lazy boy chair, you know, not talking to anybody.'
Jon said learning about the August 12 incident and Laundrie being named a person of interest, had left him feeling 'it's not what you thought it was.'
However, he said he just wants to keep the focus on finding his daughter.
'It's not what you thought it was,' he said.
'August 12, the person of interest... I get it from a legal side of it but from a family side we don't have Gabby.

'I want to care about finding my daughter first. That's my first objective.'

Emphasis mine.

That poor dad and her stepdad and mom.
Their babygirl is missing and the only one who can help is silent. :(

Imo.

ITA! You said it all!

If you watch their youtube video, Gabby is driving for a lot of it on interstate roads.
She's about to get into the van and drive away but her question is about driving it the next morning? It seems odd to me and I wonder if she was just trying to find out where they were taking him.

Respectfully, you cannot compare a production shot for youtube with whether or not GP is experienced driving the van. She clearly told the officer that she did not usually drive and was concerned about the distance she would have to drive the following day. I believe BL made sure she was dependant on him as the driver which would be one more form of leverage he would have. MOO

After watching the body camera footage I have a somewhat different opinion than I did before I watched it.
There's not one bit of evidence that BL was abusive to Gabby. Not one bruise that any relative saw, no prior police records. BL had lots of time and chances to hit Gabby out of the public's view in that van when she was punching him, <modsnip >

This is what I think and I may be way off....
I think BL flew back to Fl. to get away from Gabby. I think emptying the storage unit was just an excuse. It doesn't make sense he'd fly back just for that. I think once he was there, his parents gave him their advice and suggested he called it quits with her. I think he flew back and told Gabby it was over. It's obvious that that poor girl was already depressed. Lots of change, she had quit her job, her relationship was on the rocks and now she'd have to find a place to live. Shattered dreams with a man she didn't even want to spend one night away from when the cops separated them.
<modsnip> So he fled to Fl. More circumstantial evidence pointing to him. His parents may have felt guilty, because they suggested he broke it off. They also thought he'd be a suspect, the fingers would point to him, so they lawyered up. The lawyer told them to keep quiet, so they are. I know it looks like they are cold and callas, and doing so builds even more circumstantial evidence as in a cover up, but they must know that.
I have a lot of respect for the way Moab PD handled this. AZ. is the same as my state. The one that has the scratches and marks is the victim, and the aggressor goes to jail. No exceptions. I wonder how Gabby's mental health would have been if she ended up in jail. I think they skirted the law, and the redacted audio when they were deciding what to do shows that.
All speculation on my part, I'm thinking out loud, and I may be wrong, but to me, it's the only thing that fits. I know many that are good at covering up and hiding their aggression, but I just don't see it with BL. Yeah, he called her crazy, but I don't think he meant she was really crazy. Many people use that phrase when in reality, they are exaggerating.

If Gabby suffered from anxiety and depression, BL calling her ‘crazy’ would only serve to deepen her anxiety and depression. Words hurt.

I get that he has the right to remain silent so no argument there, but you’d think he’d feel the moral obligation to impart information that may help find her before it’s too late. Only explanation for that is that he knows it’s already too late…

Thank you for posting this. It’s what I was trying to recall after the Arches bodycam footage. Yes GP was distraught to the degree she was losing it. She shouldn’t have slapped/scratched him. But most of what I witnessed on his end was “crazy-making” behavior, escalating, designed to keep her off balance. It seems to have become a toxic relationship. I think the question now isn’t why’d he go to FL in the middle of this road trip, but WHY’D HE FLY BACK? She had the van & the keys. He was home. They’d “cooled off”. Her stuff was moved out (guessing his parents trying to make the temptation to reunite logistically tougher- maybe they saw this couple cycle through this before?). No reason to return at all. Unless to break up in person? Which led to this outcome. All moo.

Great question--why did he fly back??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member