Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This!!! Everything is her fault and it is because "she has anxiety" -- she is so hard on herself, takes the blame for everything. The reality is everyone has anxiety of some sort, and we have convinced these young people to chalk up any discomfort to anxiety and he's more than happy to have her take the blame and buddy up to the cops.

100 percent how I felt watching this! It's disturbing for so many reasons.

Just as a general statement, but IMO there is simply nowhere near enough information to make any sort of psychiatrist and/or psychological diagnosis or assessment from that bodycam footage. It's two adults who are in a high stress situation. I know there are many people here with only the best intentions, sharing matrices and criteria for abusive relationships, and mental illness diagnostic criteria, etc, but the truth of the matter is, human beings are complex, and it requires far more than watching some bodycam footage of a traffic stop for an hour to make a solid assessment of any individual. Without digressing too far, I believe that the medicalization and overly-pathologized notion of human beings is on display when people do this sort of thing. To be fair, yes, of course we want to try to make sense of the situation. But you cannot say you have a solid assessment from such limited evidence. This is also true even in real world psychiatry. There are so many 'doctors' who will see a patient for 10 minutes and immediately diagnose them with some issue or some condition and write them medications. IMO and from my own personal anecdotal stories, the best don't actually analyze or jump to conclusions..it takes time. It takes patience. You must gather enough information to make an accurate assessment, and, if appropriate, diagnosis. Again - not discrediting anyone for suggesting abuse or mental issues here in the video, but it's just simply not enough information to do so accurately. MOO

I agree that no one should be diagnosing anyone. However, behavior patterns are behavior patterns and often key in figuring out what happened between two people.

Saying someone is abusive isn't a diagnosis. In fact, I'd say BOTH parties in this scenario display abusive and toxic relationship patterns which IMO can be established by the body cam video pretty clearly . Many times victims become abusive in response to abuse and the cycle snowballs and very often escalates.

Because if your are 'forced" to incriminate yourself a so-called bad-cop-type can threaten harm causing some to lie about their guilt. Well, gosh, that's not something we'd want, is it?
Thank you for explaing that to this plumber. Sounds resonable to me. In your scenerio--maybe this can be looked at 250 years later ? using Gabby scenerio too??? imo

I get that .....but why? why did the founders grant someone who has committed a crime a right not to speak ?? What past event caused this? maybe in England? that makes this a bad thing? ( making someone speak) there has to be data backing this up .... I don't still understand why besides providing a living for lawers
To keep the police from beating confessions out of innocent people.

I think Petito saw the trip as an opportunity to secure her/their future via a monetized online presence. On the other hand, Laundrie saw the trip as a sightseeing/experience opportunity. Quite different and certainly fuel for dissatisfaction of both parties.

Anyone besides me realize there are additional stickers from the recent photos of the van? Perhaps we can speculate where they were based on the new stickers?

Attachments

• stickers.jpg
    stickers.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 109
  • stickershr.jpg
    stickershr.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 88
This!!! Everything is her fault and it is because "she has anxiety" -- she is so hard on herself, takes the blame for everything. The reality is everyone has anxiety of some sort, and we have convinced these young people to chalk up any discomfort to anxiety and he's more than happy to have her take the blame and buddy up to the cops.
not taking up for anyone but i have extreme anxiety and it comes with OCD I dont doubt for one second she has it too, i could tell b the way she couldnt catch her breath, the slight bending over because you feel unbalanced, and with OCD it can definaitly throw you into a attack when things arent clean, not a good mix at all....camping and OCD.

Totally! My husband and I had an argument at night in Venice once and I remember how terrified I was when he stomped off because I didn't speak Italian and Venice is insanely confusing and I wasn't sure I would ever find our hotel again. I felt unsafe and vulnerable and I was so freaked out that I was practically screaming at him. I refused to stop following him. It wasn't because I was abusive, it was because I was scared for my life. Fortunately, he realized how dangerous it would be too, before I had to do whatever the equivalent of crawling in the driver side window would have been.

Given how hot it was, how broke they seem to have been, and the fact that neither of them knew anyone, the idea of being abandoned would have been absolutely terrifying. Very close to "emotional abuse" in my opinion.

This. Sometimes people underestimate just how irrational an otherwise extremely cautious person can be when they are under a lot of stress or feel “trapped.” Once I was in Thailand with my partner and we got into a massive argument over something really stupid (we’d both had a couple of drinks at the pool which didn’t help) and I stormed off. I’m one of the most cautious and anxious people when it comes to safety, but I was so angry that I walked all the way down the mountain along a dark, secluded road in a foreign country as woman. I didn’t realize how dangerous it was until later—a man on a motorbike came up behind me and tried to tell me to get on and he would give me a ride and was very persistent when I said no. Luckily he left when I threatened to call the police but it was still very risky. The difference between my experience and that of BL/GP is that my partner kept trying to contact me to make sure I was okay, which as far as we know, BL did not do. Point being, extreme stress and emotions running high can make a rational person do/look “crazy.”

There is never any mention of like, where they actually slept. Tent? Van? Were they fighting all night? Sometimes I often remind people of just how psychologically debilitating sleep deprivation can be. Coupled with heat, stress, anxiety, most likely a less-than-ideal diet, and other factors, people can just, for lack of a better term, almost become psychotic. Seriously, it's no joke - I have seen what sleep deprivation does, even to the most well intentioned! Anyone who has ever been living with or around people who have abused stimulants over long term know what I am talking about - it's like a slow and very progressive change in personality. Very irritable, very snappy - the smallest things can set them off into rages. But remove the drug, and/or allow them to get a few days of uninterrupted sleep, and its like their entire souls are restored to their body. Something to just think about. Sleep is no joke.

I’ll also say it’s really hard for some people to spend 24/7 with another person for an extended period of time. This is true especially when a person is young, away from family and friends (support network), and might have mental illness. And while it’s fun to follow some of these “24/7 traveling couples” to see all of the places they go, sometimes I’m more impressed on how they stay together in close confines with one another for so long.

Since we now know there was interaction with LE - I believe she was unable to call for help when he took her van and drove off - so the phone and van together with the POI left her - either immobilized, dead or just left to succumb (sorry for her family) after checking out of the hotel. That last phone call with her mom may give a clue.... JMO

I think he thought the whole thing was an inconvenience.

I haven't seen any indication that he had a history of being violent towards her, but Gabby mentioned that "he thought she couldn't do it," when talking about her YouTube channel. It's possible he may have put her down or criticized her instead of being supportive, which would have added to her anxiety.

I think he was more interested in hiking and exploring rather than documenting their trip. That may be what triggered the arguing in the previous days. IMO

Per the police video, they were at the organic grocery store from 9am to 3pm that day so she could work on the travel blog. I assume the store had wifi. The domestic incident occurred as they were leaving as the police report says shortly after 4pm. BL reports they were going to get showers and bulk water somewhere.

good samaritan law - Google Search
Found under can you be held liable for not helping someone?

Generally, a person cannot be held liable for doing nothing while another person is in peril. However, such a duty may arise in two situations: A duty to rescue arises where a person creates a hazardous situation. ... Such a duty may also arise where a "special relationship" exists.

Can he be compelled to talk with this law? What if he could have saved her but didn't?

The characterization of Gabby and Brian by the cops makes me sick. Who are they to say that she's manic and he's calm? People handle stress in different ways. She seems to understand the gravity of the situation - being pulled over, possibly being charged with a crime, and being trapped with a person she does not get a long with. He seems to respond by talking and laughing and telling jokes - not dissimilar to Chris Watts. To take all of that at face value and call her "crazy" and him "composed" is just disgusting by LE here.
One cop. Not Robbins. Yes. Bad.

But she wanted to go on this road trip. They were starting a brand together. I don't think this statement really applies to this case as far as what's been shown in MSM. Like I said, maybe they had a very codependent relationship. Maybe she didn't want to be apart from him. Didn't she follow him to Florida?

I think the "they were starting a brand together" is subjective. I
IMO it seems like that was GP's goal but was not his focus at all. He comes across as not wanting the spotlight (I'll keep my opinions on why to myself). But there's multiple statements made in the video that lead me to believe this was also a bone of contention between them. Including her saying "he doesn't think I can" and his social media captions really putting down people who are overly connected to the internet and technology.

If there were evidence, or even probable cause to believe he'd committed a crime, he'd already be arrested.
Presently, his status is only a POI.

Having probable cause and having enough to charge and convict is way different. You really don't need much for probable cause. Probable cause is not enough for an arrest. At least it shouldn't be.

BTW, I'm going to guess that LE does have probable cause to get warrants to investigate. As the chief said, two left, one came back. Then add BL's lack of cooperation and lack of proof of life. LE also stated they have things they won't share with us. I have seen less on probable cause statements.

I think Petito saw the trip as an opportunity to secure her/their future via a monetized online presence. On the other hand, Laundrie saw the trip as a sightseeing/experience opportunity. Quite different and certainly fuel for dissatisfaction of both parties.

Speaking from a somewhat similar personal experience, I could definitely see that as a source of relationship friction.

Not everyone can make a living online.
Many people burn out.

Per the police video, they were at the organic grocery store from 9am to 3pm that day so she could work on the travel blog. I assume the store had wifi. The domestic incident occurred as they were leaving as the police report says shortly after 4pm. BL reports they were going to get showers and bulk water somewhere.
"... going to get ... bulk water...". Which is kinda ironic since I'm betting it came in or was held in a plastic container of some sort.

I'm going to add that to the timeline - do we know the name by chance @gliving?

ETA: What about the hike? (On the previous original timeline)
AUG 10: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple was at the organic store (Moonflower) from 9am to 3pm according to the police video - they were going to get water and showers - police report incident is at 4pm and the video is over an hour

AUG 12
: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park

AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE)
AUG 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab

(I thought they were already at Moab on the 12th?)
thanks for any clarification anyone can give
ETA added name of organic store and timeline info

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads