Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone noticed, that all this time, we've never found out his exact age? I recall in the beginning when the story first broke, it was stated that he was between 23 and 30. I remember it, becuase it seemed odd; her age was given as 22, but his was given as a fairly broad approximate range. If I've missed an update, please fill me in. But if there's a significant age difference between them, this could be conducive to him playing the older, smarter authority figure, perhaps sometimes talking down to her. She might have looked up to him, until the relationship hit rocky patches.

We also don't know what her mother's statement, that they had a relationship in highschool, means exactly. Was she a freshman when he was a senior? We she a HS student though he was out of HS already, and they first met each other outside of the school context?

It would be nice to have more basic background info, so we don't have to guess.

I also feel, that her statement to Moab police, "I feel like I'm OCD" is very different from a confession that she's diagnosed as OCD "but unmedicated", as BL said. Why should she be medicated, if there's been no diagnosis? What did he say his mental health condition was, that he was also unmedicated for? If he's truly been diagnosed with something, maybe he's been trying to project onto her, that she has a condition, too, and has been trying to get her to believe it.

"Feeling like" you're OCD is very different from knowing you have OCD, because your doctor evaluated you. And yet, this went down in the police report as both of them having a mental health condition they don't take meds for.

Maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling of some sloppy police work happening here. it's good that the officer told them to separate until the next day to cool off, and didn't book Gabby for assault. But I have an uneasy feeling, that they were inattentive to other details, not really methodical in checking out facts (like car ownership), the basis of the altercation (he refused to give her the keys to her car, behaving as though he were going to abandon her), and recording a casual statement about "feeling like OCD" as if it were a diagnosed condition.

He's around her age and they went to high school together - were in the same grade or he might've been one above

People on this site are so prolific at finding out every detail of a 'suspects' life. Where is the backstory on this guy? Could be enlightening. I assume it's against the site rules, however.
THIS.

Where is this guy's friends, cousins, ex-friends, no-one is talking, why???

Usually here on WS a POI has lots of background info even if not illegal activity. We CAN sleuth him. Can anyone find anything, at all?

Do you have a citations to any mandatory disclosure laws that obligate attorneys to report information learned from a client in the course of representing the client when the client does not authorize the disclosure of that information?

Every state has their own specific statues and bar requirements in relation to this but nearly all states require attorney's to disclose information learned from a client that will prevent death or serious injury.

Rule 1.6 Confidentiality of Information - Comment
"Paragraph (b)(1) recognizes the overriding value of life and physical integrity and permits disclosure reasonably necessary to prevent reasonably certain death or substantial bodily harm. Such harm is reasonably certain to occur if it will be suffered imminently or if there is a present and substantial threat that a person will suffer such harm at a later date if the lawyer fails to take action necessary to eliminate the threat."

The Crime-Fraud Exception
" They (attorney) generally have an obligation to reveal any information that would prevent someone else from suffering death or serious injury."

"The client tells the attorney about the location of a missing witness or victim, or a key piece of tangible evidence, the attorney sometimes will need to disclose that information."

"If the crime-fraud exception applies, the attorney can be subpoenaed and must disclose the information. In some instances, the attorney must take it upon themselves to report the information. These generally include perjury (not necessarily when the client themselves gives perjured testimony), crucial evidence, missing witnesses or persons in danger, or serious threats of harm."

Last edited:
i think that was the whole reason for he trip, was to help get her blog going, it wasnt a surprise.
In the video Brian mentions their last road trip and that they talked about doing it again but he suggested doing it big (I think that’s what he said) and getting the van. I think the social media aspect came later.

It seems a stretch that while separated and alone for the night, each on reflecting how horribly wrong that whole day had been, that neither reached out that night to a family or friend. I have faith that LE including FBI have info.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed like she was on the phone with a parent when she was sitting in the squad car during the incident.

i think that was the whole reason for he trip, was to help get her blog going, it wasnt a surprise.
I dunno. My take away is that they got the Transit, converted it, and then started their trip simply posting stuff on the Gram. My perception is that they gained a bunch of IG followers and Petito thought that was an opportunity to go YouTube. Most (successful) VanLife YouTubers start their channel with some version of "The Build Series" where they go kinda step-by-step with converting their van. That is what draws subscribers initially. It gives you a base... hopefully enough to monetize. In this case, the "debut" vid on their channel is a montage... which really seems like there had been no strong strategy from the start. [I guess I gotta put "IMO" 'cuz I really have no direct knowledge!]

Ironic BL ends up at a hotel ~100 yards from the Moonflower Co-Op. Also so many aspects of the body cam footage was quite bizarre. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why and know LE is done differently than here in England but aspects of it felt so off I can't explain it in words (and I mean all parties actions here).

Wait, the hotel room BL was provided by the DV program was only 100 yards from Moonflower? I wonder if he did in fact stay there or if he went elsewhere.

Wow! Just watched the Police Cam from Channel 7. I feel so badly for these two people. IMO both of them seemed to be in some mental distress. Gabby admits she has "really bad OCD" ( at 2:41 to 3:eek:o into the vid ). She actually states that as a reason she can really get very anxious and upset over things.

They both seem very honest with their emotions. I certainly believed both of them and also think they probably love each other. Unfortunately, after 3 months of getting no break from each other can bring out the worst in each other, ( I know being with my husband during Covid wasn't pretty, Tank God we were not in aVan)
Add to that some serious mental distress, and I believe there may have been a tragic accident.

However, I am at a loss as to Brians's lack of cooperation with the police. Perhaps he has become mentally incapable of dealing with reality!
MOO--I do not believe he would intentionally murder Gabby....no way! I can only hope we find some answers soon.
IMO, if a tragic accident occurred, why the silence? Why not notify someone at that moment. Yes, He sure would have mentioned the tragedy to his parents? To someone? And if he's that distraught, the parents can speak for him. I don't believe that for a second. Yes, a tragedy happened. Maybe he did not mean for it to happen, not intentionally, but a crime of passion maybe. But it happened. And the silence from all only make him look bad.

There is absolutely no evidence besides speculation that Gabby was in an incredibly abusive relationship where she was meek and quiet and weak and BL was all powerful and manipulating and controlling her. even family members on both sides attest to their relationship not showing signs of abuse or trouble.

she bought the van. She decorated it. She chose to start blogging. She chose to go on this trip. She admitted to assaulting him. She admitted to having OCD and anxiety. She admitted all of this. None of that is an assumption. Everything else is PURE conjecture. She also complains about his behaviors in the police video. She doesn’t take 100% of the blame. She talks about how he doesn’t support her and gets frustrated with her anxiety and OCD. Admitting you are struggling is NOT a sign of abuse. I don’t get why people think it is.

getting sad seeing the assumption that women are perpetual victims. We are not. GP was struggling but she was also badas* She’s an adventurer and a hiker and does things far from home. That’s bravery. Give her some credit. I hope she’s found and brought home. She deserves that.

really? Sounds like you are making excuses. There is no proof she was fighting back. She admitted to punching him in the arm while he was driving. Wouldn’t she have marks on her face if he was driving and hitting her and she punched him as defense? This is a slippery slope. Physical abuse is physical abuse, period. It’s NEVER ok. Women can abuse men and men often don’t report it or talk about it because of comments like this. Sounds more like they were both toxic and harmful to one another.
bbm

Re. the lavender bolded :

FULL VIDEO: Bodycam video of Utah police encounter with Gabby Petito and boyfriend Brian Laundrie - YouTube
From the NBC2 msm news video, it sounds at 6:11 -ish that Gabby was grabbing the wheel and BL says she said (paraphrased as it's a bit muffled); "...you can't leave me again..." ??
It sounds like he'd driven off without her before and imo this makes him not look very good.
It looks like Gabby was fearful, and not enraged. :(
That's an abusive act in itself.

Re. the green bolded : I would definitely agree !

Hoping my fears are wrong and she's ok but left her old life for whatever reason.
Even BL having the van & returning w/o Gabby may not be suspicious to some --- but his silence is unnerving to me.
Imo.

Last edited:
"OCD is an over-used & misused term to describe people who like things neat & tidy with i’s dotted & t’s crossed. The official psych diagnosis is something else entirely. I don’t think GB was really OCD. I think she was particular about the van & tent being picture-perfect for her Instagram pics & vids. Pretty gets followers, messy & sloppy does not. Guessing BL got tired of folding his shorts & picking up his socks on vacation while re-plumping & re-fluffing pillows to keep things van beautiful. They had very different goals for this trip imo. Jmo. In this case the incompatibility became tragic. Imo."

Yes, they definitely found out that they are NOT compatible. They both became irritated, and then controlling in the eyes of each other. (Sorry, normal quoting didn't work this time.)

There is absolutely no evidence besides speculation that Gabby was in an incredibly abusive relationship where she was meek and quiet and weak and BL was all powerful and manipulating and controlling her. even family members on both sides attest to their relationship not showing signs of abuse or trouble.

she bought the van. She decorated it. She chose to start blogging. She chose to go on this trip. She admitted to assaulting him. She admitted to having OCD and anxiety. She admitted all of this. None of that is an assumption. Everything else is PURE conjecture. She also complains about his behaviors in the police video. She doesn’t take 100% of the blame. She talks about how he doesn’t support her and gets frustrated with her anxiety and OCD. Admitting you are struggling is NOT a sign of abuse. I don’t get why people think it is.

getting sad seeing the assumption that women are perpetual victims. We are not. GP was struggling but she was also badas* She’s an adventurer and a hiker and does things far from home. That’s bravery. Give her some credit. I hope she’s found and brought home. She deserves that.

really? Sounds like you are making excuses. There is no proof she was fighting back. She admitted to punching him in the arm while he was driving. Wouldn’t she have marks on her face if he was driving and hitting her and she punched him as defense? This is a slippery slope. Physical abuse is physical abuse, period. It’s NEVER ok. Women can abuse men and men often don’t report it or talk about it because of comments like this. Sounds more like they were both toxic and harmful to one another.

I'm a few years older than GP (I'm 25) but we share a lot of similar qualities. When I was 18 I had a very similar relationship with someone who absolutely was abusive emotionally and eventually physically who carried himself similar to BL in this videos.
My ex and I went backpacking, rock climbing, and kayaking together among other adventures. Once he capsized in freezing water and I had to use all my strength to pull him and his kayak out of the water and save him. I was badass. I was strong and adventurous and capable -- and also a victim of abuse. They are not mutually exclusive things and it's not insulting or sexist or not giving her credit to suggest that the dynamics in her relationship based on this incident and video might be unhealthy and she might be the victim of abuse. It's honestly recognizing those things about her and making a hypothesis about what circumstances would strain her mental state and lead her to the distressed state she was clearly in.
I was a completely different person when the stress caused by my partner (who I did genuinely think I loved) pushed me to a complete state of overwhelm.

We are speculating, but there is a solid basis for it and it's absolutely a possibility we can't rule out especially given that their encounter with the police has escalated to a nation wide hunt for a missing girl in a matter of weeks. Things like that don't happen when there isn't trouble in paradise.

i would be so upset if i started a cross country road trip and my traveling partner decided to start a blog and document everything. I would hate it. Does that make me suspicious?
Only if you returned in a vehicle you didn’t own & the owner was missing. I don’t think the social media thing was some spontaneous idea that GB sprung on BL halfway across the USA. She’d been converting this van, planning for this new life for quite some time. If BL didn’t want to be in the SM spotlight, he should have had the maturity to negotiate staying out of her new business venture, or kept his *advertiser censored** home. He had zero reason to get upset about HER goals. Imo

Richard Stafford, the spokesperson for Gabby's family, will be addressing the media today at 2:30 pm One Corporate Drive, Bohemia, NY. He will be reading a letter from the Schmidt and Petito family to Christopher and Roberta Laundrie. He will take limited questions afterwards. I will try and get link to watch/listen

IMO, if a tragic accident occurred, why the silence? Why not notify someone at that moment. Yes, He sure would have mentioned the tragedy to his parents? To someone? And if he's that distraught, the parents can speak for him. I don't believe that for a second. Yes, a tragedy happened. Maybe he did not mean for it to happen, not intentionally, but a crime of passion maybe. But it happened. And the silence from all only make him look bad.

I’m guessing that the silence is some sort of legal thing that will be needed in the courtroom later. “Anything you say can and will be used against you”. Whether he did something to her, something happened to her while he was present, or whether he was simply negligent by leaving her and something happened to her in his absence…there’s got to be some special situation in which his silence is legally necessary.

i would be so upset if i started a cross country road trip and my traveling partner decided to start a blog and document everything. I would hate it. Does that make me suspicious?
Despite all of my misgivings ... the only thing that stands out to me like a dead tree in a snowy landscape is BL's silence.
Say something, anything.

Even if it's just, "... we were at this location and she became upset and left me."
Tbh, I don't think she'd leave without her van or at least calling her family to let them know what happened ?
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member