SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
E_bBnOQXoAYfk-D

@RileyWJCL

JUST IN: Alex Murdaugh’s mug shot
Hard, dark eyes IMO

Between the inability of these agencies to properly fill out basic forms and the spin machine that is AM's lawyers, I'm surprised there wasn't a press release announcing :

'Alexis Murdock, a young, handsome, strong 25-year old was taken into custody today on being too charitable on the Island of Long. He could be released on bond, but is choosing to remain in jail and take responsibility for past transgressions. '
:D:D:D

At about 4:42 in this video, the Satterfield attorneys say the settlement was supposed to be more than $2 million, not $500K.

That makes a lot more sense than $500,000. The attorneys let it go through for exactly the amount insurance would pay instead of working for their clients. I hope all attorneys (and others) involved face repercussions.

jmo

Ok, I think around here an arraignment happens with the bond being asked for after the charges are read. So it's like both at the same hearing. There can be other bond hearings if at that arraignment bond is denied or set really high.
The term "Arraignment" is sometimes used for an initial appearance although that is technically not correct. Bond will be discussed and set at an initial appearance (usually, but covid has changed some things). But it can be revisited at arraignment, or preliminary hearing, or at a specific bond hearing requested by the Prosecutor or the Defense.

“Certainly there were questions by my clients because after she unfortunately fell, she was airlifted to a hospital and she had a traumatic brain injury, she never was able to communicate with them for the next three weeks until she died,” Bland told Cuomo. “So, it was Alex Murdaugh who told the story of that she had tripped and fell down the stairs over his dogs.”

“They trusted him,” Bland said, describing Satterfield as part of the family’s fabric after 25 years. “He hand-walked them to his best friend and college roommate to bring a lawsuit against himself on behalf of the estate.”

According to Bland, a number of claims were made which all contributed to a settlement, but none of those settlements ever ended up in court, except one for around $500,000 from Lloyds of London insurance.

“There’s no court orders approving any of these settlements. And it’s required under the law, if you have a wrongful death or survival case, a judge has to approve the settlements. None of that exists in the court record, and our clients never found out that these cases had settled these claims, until it was printed in the paper by investigative reporters,” Bland said.
South Carolina law enforcement opens criminal investigation into 2018 death of Murdaugh family's housekeeper
*God bless investigative reporters…

https://www.scribd.com/document/525688709/Alex-Murdaugh-Arrest-Warrants-Affidavits#from_embed

Oh....I wonder how this will jive with the laws regarding what deaths have to be reported. This would seem to fall under suspicious or unusual, but I don't know with the family being scared. I am really curious why the hospital didn't report it. So strange. Perhaps the people at the hospital who dealt with it should have their finances looked into.

According to S.C. Code Ann. § 17-5-530 - Duty to notify coroner's or medical examiner's office of certain deaths and stillbirths; inquiry; findings; notification of next-of-kin; consent for certain actions.

(A) If a person dies:

(1) as a result of violence;

(2) as a result of apparent suicide;

(3) when in apparent good health;

(4) when unattended by a physician;

(5) in any suspicious or unusual manner;

(6) while an inmate of a penal or correctional institution;

(7) as a result of stillbirth when unattended by a physician; or

(8) in a health care facility, as defined in Section 44-7-130(10) other than nursing homes, within twenty-four hours of entering a health care facility or within twenty-four hours after having undergone an invasive surgical procedure at the health care facility; a person having knowledge of the death immediately shall notify the county coroner’s or medical examiner’s office. This procedure also must be followed upon discovery of anatomical material suspected of being or determined to be a part of a human body.

(B) The coroner or medical examiner shall make an immediate inquiry into the cause and manner of death . . .

Edit: Deleted a quote because my phone is apparently doing whatever it want.

To me, he looks smug. I’m not sure everything has sunk in yet, but why would it — these people are accustomed to manipulating everything they are involved with. It’s been his way of life and I doubt he thinks that ability will end.

jmo
I see the smugness too, his eyes just give me the willies.

The term "Arraignment" is sometimes used for an initial appearance although that is technically not correct. Bond will be discussed and set at an initial appearance (usually, but covid has changed some things). But it can be revisited at arraignment, or preliminary hearing, or at a specific bond hearing requested by the Prosecutor or the Defense.
Thanks for your learned clarification, it's helpful!

Oh....I wonder how this will jive with the laws regarding what deaths have to be reported. This would seem to fall under suspicious or unusual, but I don't know with the family being scared. I am really curious why the hospital didn't report it. So strange. Perhaps the people at the hospital who dealt with it should have their finances looked into.

According to S.C. Code Ann. § 17-5-530 - Duty to notify coroner's or medical examiner's office of certain deaths and stillbirths; inquiry; findings; notification of next-of-kin; consent for certain actions.

(A) If a person dies:

(1) as a result of violence;

(2) as a result of apparent suicide;

(3) when in apparent good health;

(4) when unattended by a physician;

(5) in any suspicious or unusual manner;

(6) while an inmate of a penal or correctional institution;

(7) as a result of stillbirth when unattended by a physician; or

(8) in a health care facility, as defined in Section 44-7-130(10) other than nursing homes, within twenty-four hours of entering a health care facility or within twenty-four hours after having undergone an invasive surgical procedure at the health care facility; a person having knowledge of the death immediately shall notify the county coroner’s or medical examiner’s office. This procedure also must be followed upon discovery of anatomical material suspected of being or determined to be a part of a human body.

(B) The coroner or medical examiner shall make an immediate inquiry into the cause and manner of death . . .

Edit: Deleted a quote because my phone is apparently doing whatever it want.
So I'm guessing because she lingered for three weeks #8 wouldn't apply. It does seem though that # 5 should have, AJMO

Interesting. Unless it's on the back of his head? If he was treated at a hospital (which we know he was) and needed stitches they would normally shave around a wound to clean and treat it.
His left ear appears to be bruised, but this picture has as many filters on it as any Kardashian would post on Instagram. MOO

So I'm guessing because she lingered for three weeks #8 wouldn't apply. It does seem though that # 5 should have, AJMO

This seems relevant, as well:

S.C. Code Ann. § 17-7-150. Coroner shall charge jury.

The jury so sworn shall be charged by the coroner to declare, upon oath, whether the deceased came to his death:

(1) By mischance and accident or by felony;

(2) If by felony, whether by his own or another's;

(3) If by mischance, whether by the act of God or of man;

(4) If by another's felony, who were principals and who accessories, who threatened him of life, or murder, and with what instrument he was struck or wounded; and

(5) If by mischance or accident, by the act of God or man, whether by hurt, fall, stroke, drowning or otherwise.

And he shall also charge them to inquire of the persons that were present at the finding of the body whether he was killed in the same place or elsewhere and, if elsewhere, by whom or how he was there brought and of all other circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong