UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

Based on this article, I really wonder why the police were called when they were in the area that Kylen & Crystal went missing.

Missing Gabby Petito: Utah police were called to incident involving cross-country vanning couple
https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-gabby-petito-utah-police-called
FIRST ON FOX: Utah police have confirmed that officers were called for an incident involving Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito roughly two weeks before she was last seen and a month before she was officially reported missing.

Our officers did respond to an incident involving Brian Laundrie and Gabrielle Petito on 12 August 2021 however, neither Brian or Gabrielle were the reporting party," Moab Chief of Police Bret Edge told Fox News Tuesday. "Officers conducted an investigation and determined that insufficient evidence existed to justify criminal charges."

I don't think Gabby Petito's disappearance had anything to do with Kylen and Crystal's murders. I think Brian Laundrie is responsible for Gabby's disappearance, but not Kylen and Crystal's murders. I would like to know what the incident report was for though.

I don't think Gabby Petito's disappearance had anything to do with Kylen and Crystal's murders. I think Brian Laundrie is responsible for Gabby's disappearance, but not Kylen and Crystal's murders. I would like to know what the incident report was for though.

It's been released (you can see it over on Gabby's thread). Three people witnessed and one of them called in...a potential DV incident. Gabby and Brian admit to having a fight. Part of it sounds like it was outside the van. They are "fighting over a phone," Gabby leaves marks on his arm (and maybe his face), he takes his hand and shoves her in the face. Police are called, two arrive (but one leaves to handle a drunk driving incident). They have bodycams.

The policeman in question got info from G and B stating they both have some kind of mental health problem and he advises that this is going to be treated as a MH issue, sending B to a local safe place (a hotel room paid for by a local DV charity). He ensures both have phones. This is August 12-13. B stays in Moab, in a hotel that night and Gabby is in the van. B has no transportation.

I dunno, women camp in their own, like with a dog. It's not like a dog is any harder to shoot than a woman, or her boyfriend for that matter. It seems like something about lesbian couples in particular set men off, or the specific type of male loners who are also out there doing primitive camping.

Well, most people (lesbian or not) are not murdered. But when a newlywed couple is murdered in an isolated place and they've been experiencing a "creeper" (oh, I wish people could get more descriptive when they're telling friends, 'if I am murdered, so and so did it').

Moab has changed a lot in the past 10 years. It's become more hip, more a place where younger outdoor enthusiasts congregate (and take minimum wage jobs to remain there, as it is a kind of outdoor paradise). Not the stopover spot of my childhood travels through Utah. Well known coffee roasters, bubble tea, expensive mountain bikes, expensive tents - for a nearly year round lifestyle (but not quite - gets really cold in the winter).

I don't see any statistical uptick in murders of lesbian couples...but I do think it's possible that lesbian couples encounter weirdness that others don't.

I think your phrase "specific type of male loners" is apt. But there are also compounds in that area, engaged in various secretive actions, highly guarded and, well, fringe IMO. Anyone who gets too close to one (and that area where they were camping has private land just above it) may have been too close for comfort. I have other theories, based on time spent in Utah and especially, on the fieldwork experiences of a close colleague.

Well, most people (lesbian or not) are not murdered. But when a newlywed couple is murdered in an isolated place and they've been experiencing a "creeper" (oh, I wish people could get more descriptive when they're telling friends, 'if I am murdered, so and so did it').

Moab has changed a lot in the past 10 years. It's become more hip, more a place where younger outdoor enthusiasts congregate (and take minimum wage jobs to remain there, as it is a kind of outdoor paradise). Not the stopover spot of my childhood travels through Utah. Well known coffee roasters, bubble tea, expensive mountain bikes, expensive tents - for a nearly year round lifestyle (but not quite - gets really cold in the winter).

I don't see any statistical uptick in murders of lesbian couples...but I do think it's possible that lesbian couples encounter weirdness that others don't.

I think your phrase "specific type of male loners" is apt. But there are also compounds in that area, engaged in various secretive actions, highly guarded and, well, fringe IMO. Anyone who gets too close to one (and that area where they were camping has private land just above it) may have been too close for comfort. I have other theories, based on time spent in Utah and especially, on the fieldwork experiences of a close colleague.
Yeah I guess the idea I was fomenting is that primitive camping areas are probably one of the most likely places for lesbian couples to encounter the type of people who really really hate lesbians, multiplied by them being more likely places to get randomly murdered in general.

Based on this article, I really wonder why the police were called when they were in the area that Kylen & Crystal went missing.

Missing Gabby Petito: Utah police were called to incident involving cross-country vanning couple

FIRST ON FOX: Utah police have confirmed that officers were called for an incident involving Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito roughly two weeks before she was last seen and a month before she was officially reported missing.

Our officers did respond to an incident involving Brian Laundrie and Gabrielle Petito on 12 August 2021 however, neither Brian or Gabrielle were the reporting party," Moab Chief of Police Bret Edge told Fox News Tuesday. "Officers conducted an investigation and determined that insufficient evidence existed to justify criminal charges."[/QUOTE
]
WHOA....the officers were called on August 12th, to the Moab area. IDK, definitely suspicious to me. Two people shot, and two people missing. One person, alive, was in all of those areas around, if not at the same time that these things occurred. Maybe coincidence?

Last edited:

That's what I thought too, but apparently the incident occurred at the store where Kylen worked. It could very well just be a coincidence but if it is, it's a strange one.

Utah investigators 'not ruling anything out' in double homicide near missing Gabby Petito incident – Fox News
<snipped & BBM>
Utah investigators have not ruled out a potential connection between two high-profile cases in the scenic campgrounds around Moab – a grisly double-homicide that left newlyweds dead and an apparent lovers’ quarrel involving a woman who has since gone missing.

[...]

Schulte worked nearby at a co-op grocery store called Moonflower – the organic, herb-scented bodega where Gabby Petito, 22, and Brian Laundrie, 23, got into an emotional argument that prompted a police response on Aug. 12.

The proximity of time and location prompted speculation that the two separate incidents may share another connection.

No charges were filed after the domestic call, but the incident was enough for a third-party witness to call 911. The engaged couple, who had been road-tripping across the country in a Ford Transit van since early July, told police that stress and undisclosed mental health issues had been building up ahead of the argument.

To be clear, there's been no evidence the two are connected at this time.

So who called in the DV report on GP and BL. If it was someone who worked at Moonflower, or at least thought to be... It could be the crucial tie in between the cases. But it would appear that LE is not thinking along those lines.

Thanks for sharing this video, swedeheart. For those curious, they show some brief footage of what the area around their campsite looked like. Very pretty, very Utah - but so horrible to think these two lives were stolen there :(

It's been released (you can see it over on Gabby's thread). Three people witnessed and one of them called in...a potential DV incident. Gabby and Brian admit to having a fight. Part of it sounds like it was outside the van. They are "fighting over a phone," Gabby leaves marks on his arm (and maybe his face), he takes his hand and shoves her in the face. Police are called, two arrive (but one leaves to handle a drunk driving incident). They have bodycams.

The policeman in question got info from G and B stating they both have some kind of mental health problem and he advises that this is going to be treated as a MH issue, sending B to a local safe place (a hotel room paid for by a local DV charity). He ensures both have phones. This is August 12-13. B stays in Moab, in a hotel that night and Gabby is in the van. B has no transportation.

Thanks, 10ofRods. I'm trying to keep up with Gabby's thread too, but it's moving so fast. I did see the police report of the DV incident. That does not bode well for Gabby, unfortunately. I'm trying to catch up with everything, especially the possible Moonflower Co-op Connection with Kylen. I still lean towards the cases being unrelated, but the Moonflower connection does give me pause. The timeline is confusing too, but since it sounds like Gabby last definitively contacted relatives a week after Kylen and Crystal were found deceased, I don't think there is a connection. HOWEVER - and this is massive speculation, completely, and probably wrong (I don't believe this, just something that popped into my head) - what if Gabby and BL were arguing outside the Moonflower Co-op, Kylen called the police to report a DV incident, and he, infuriated, began stalking Kylen and Crystal. It makes sense that they would view him as creepy and tell friends about him especially if they considered him as a possible domestic abuser. What if he was furious at them for calling LE and, after stalking them, attacked and shot them, and threatened Gabby with the same fate if she turned him in or told anyone? What if Gabby either attempted to escape from him because she knew what he did or was planning to turn him in, so he decided he needed to "get rid of her"? Again, this is all SPECULATION and just what my brain came up with. Food for thought.

I still lean towards the cases being unrelated, but the Moonflower connection does give me pause.

what if Gabby and BL were arguing outside the Moonflower Co-op, Kylen called the police to report a DV incident, and he, infuriated, began stalking Kylen and Crystal. It makes sense that they would view him as creepy...
I also lean towards the cases being unrelated.

Likewise, I suspect that the victims would have automatically supplied additional details to their friends at the bar if BL was the "creepy guy" and they had an encounter with him earlier. Maybe something like: "The DV guy from Moonflower is now camping next to us! He creeps us out every time we see him."

Instead, the lack of additional details given regarding "creepy guy" suggests that they did not have previous contact with him.

But there are also compounds in that area, engaged in various secretive actions, highly guarded and, well, fringe IMO.

I believe the victims stated, or implied that "creepy guy" was camping in the area. That would seem to rule out a member of a compound group as he would either live in the compound, or have a home nearby. Likewise somebody with an individual invitation would probably be put up in the compound as a show of hospitality.

But.... I wonder if any of the compounds had hosted training sessions, talks, presentations, or other activities for larger numbers of people?

Such presentations or training sessions can attract relatively large number of sympathizers or "dabbling" type people. The host group might not be able to house all attendees- and some attendees could be weird even by host group standards (pretty hard but possible) and make them not want to house them.

As a result, either by simple lack of room or other reasons, attendees could be required to take rooms at local motels- or camp from either personal preference or being destitute.

I also lean towards the cases being unrelated.

Likewise, I suspect that the victims would have automatically supplied additional details to their friends at the bar if BL was the "creepy guy" and they had an encounter with him earlier. Maybe something like: "The DV guy from Moonflower is now camping next to us! He creeps us out every time we see him."

Instead, the lack of additional details given regarding "creepy guy" suggests that they did not have previous contact with him.

Just to play devil’s advocate, the creepy guy they told their friends about isn’t necessarily who killed them.

Sounds like they were homeless by choice -- maybe they just wanted to be that way for a while and then fold in with the other work-a-day folks with rent/mortgage, jobs and taxes, etc. I can remember back in the 1970's (yes, I am that old!) there were lots of 20+ year-olds who were homeless by choice. No rent, no pools, no pets...

IMO With all due respect, "homeless by choice" is not a thing, and homelessness does not mean folks are not participating in the jobs and taxes merry-go-round.

Perhaps a person might choose to live in a van, so they can afford to eat, but IMO choosing food over rent doesn't count as "homeless by choice".

AFAIK both of these women had jobs and were paying taxes. They seem like the kind of people you'd encounter every day as you go about life.

All of us have homeless folks in our orbit without knowing; they are every age, and they are everywhere, including on this forum.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back