Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's baffling to me about BL refusing to speak at all, even with an attorney advising him, is this:

If he is innocent, you'd think he'd want to both tell his story/clear his name and also to help GP to be found, especially if she was alive when they parted.

And even if he is guilty, there is such a wide range of plausible stories he could tell to send the searchers off in the wrong direction. Knowing that she didn't like to drive the van seems to give him even more options of plausible stories -- he could claim they split up, she decided to do X and asked him to bring the van home, and she would call her folks for a plane ticket when she was ready to return, etc. Then any misfortune that befell her afterwards would be beyond his connection, ostensibly, and even when/if she is found there is a reasonable chance his story couldn't be disproven.

But by saying nothing at all, it looks horrible for him now, and more horrible for him when/if she is found deceased.

So it's hard to imagine his or his family's thinking for being so adamant about not saying anything, not even "pretending" to assist in the search for her. MOO

I was thinking about this earlier too. In some ways it's actually more helpful if he's not going to lie to waste resources. His attorney may have also advised him that it's a crime to lie to federal agents in itself so if he doesn't have anything helpful to say, it's better to say nothing at all.

Keep in mind that clients also lie to their lawyers. So the only person who 100% knows what happened is Brian. Everyone else is trying to pick up the mess and figure it out - even the people purportedly on his side.

https://kutv.com/amp/news/local/Fri...s disappearance, said couple was always happy

Friends and co-workers of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie said they are shocked by her disappearance.

A former co-worker described them as "couple goals.”

She said she never saw them get in a verbal or physical altercation, and it's hard for her to hear all the speculations.

"She's not just another random girl that goes missing,” Alaina Gork said.

Gork said Gabby never let on to her if anything was off, and she never had anything bad to say about her fiancé.

Violate the "Golden Rule" as they say in trial and put yourself in his shoes. So, if I'm a 20-something faced with a life altering situation in another state I'd immediately call my most trusted advisors for guidance - at his age probably "my" parents. My parents would not say get in the car flee the state and come home. They'd say go the police or get somewhere safe I'm on the next flight to you and we go together. But, it seems his parents may be different.
If he turns out to be as cowardly and spineless as he so far seems to be, Imo, I doubt he called the parents for advice, possibly just begged $$ with some excuse for needing it. He used those driving days to muddy the waters, let evidence dissipate, and just showed up with her vehicle. I'm curious how the parents plan to avoid revealing his first versions. Sure they may refuse to speak on constitutional grounds but it would seem that they have a lot to lose with standing in the greater world community, and more.

SBM
Yes. She handles stress by going manic and he handles it more calmly, as evidenced by the video itself. I would call that an accurate characterization.
She was not manic. They had just been pulled over coming off the heels of the incident at the store. In fact, they were pulled over BECAUSE of that incident. Unbeknownst to them it was a 911 wellness check.

Then, after being sequestered in the patrol car she learns for the first time that they had been discussing arresting her the entire time.

Do we know what BL’s parents do? Can they afford the lawyer? Surely BL can’t. Legal representation is not cheap, I know this all too well, but my experience was for a child custody issue. I assume a retainer for -a criminal defense attorney is much more expensive.

I wonder how long they can keep him on retainer, and if there comes a time that he’s no longer represented, then what?

What's baffling to me about BL refusing to speak at all, even with an attorney advising him, is this:

If he is innocent, you'd think he'd want to both tell his story/clear his name and also to help GP to be found, especially if she was alive when they parted.

And even if he is guilty, there is such a wide range of plausible stories he could tell to send the searchers off in the wrong direction. Knowing that she didn't like to drive the van seems to give him even more options of plausible stories -- he could claim they split up, she decided to do X and asked him to bring the van home, and she would call her folks for a plane ticket when she was ready to return, etc. Then any misfortune that befell her afterwards would be beyond his connection, ostensibly, and even when/if she is found there is a reasonable chance his story couldn't be disproven.

But by saying nothing at all, it looks horrible for him now, and more horrible for him when/if she is found deceased.

So it's hard to imagine his or his family's thinking for being so adamant about not saying anything, not even "pretending" to assist in the search for her. MOO
Yep agreed. And putting aside what may or may not have happened between them surrounding Gabby's disappearance -- the kind of individual who returns solo in another person's vehicle without that person, and then ignores that person's very concerned family, and never called for help at any point (except for a lawyer for oneself) -- that this individual is capable of this speaks volumes about what else he might be capable of. Just saying, it makes it all that much worse.

Attorney and Legal Analyst Ron Kuby discusses Gabby Petito's mysterious disappearance

"None of this is consistent with innocence"

6:00 minutes
Attorney and Legal Analyst Ron Kuby discusses Gabby Petito's mysterious disappearance

"None of this is consistent with innocence"

6:00 minutes

Okay, I have to disagree with this lawyer. I saw a minimum of two bloody assault marks on B's face. You can see them more clearly in a video someone posted a few threads back, which I'm not going to go hunt for. I did NOT see the spots clearly in the 75 min. bodycam video. But as I said, a few threads back the video did show injuries clearly to his face. The camera pans on him just a few seconds & there it is.

That said, I have to wonder, were the roles reversed, would B have spent the night in jail on a DV charge.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...e-extremely-difficult-without-boyfriends-help

Finding Gabby Petito without fiancé Brian Laundrie’s cooperation will be extremely difficult according to law enforcement experts in Utah.

Gabby wasn’t reported missing until two weeks after the 22-year-old was last seen in Salt Lake City. The man who might know where she is, isn’t talking.

Let’s just be clear. He looks guilty as hell,” said former Salt Lake Co. Sheriff and Moab Police Chief Jim Winder.

He had to buy gas. Jody Arias used jerry cans to avoid leaving a gas purchase trail, and it didn't work. There's a trail for gas purchases that goes from meandering from one van-life campground to another, and then there's the trail where he heads directly to his parents' home. That's a good place to start. That turning point could tell us where she is.

Can we figure out the exact day that he arrived in Florida. Can it be confirmed Sept. 1? If so, we can look at the route between his parents' home and the last video chat with mom on August 25 from Wyoming. Where in Wyoming? There was a snapchat on August 27 and she was headed to Yellowstone National Park. Where was she in that snapchat?

Between August 27 and September 1, when did his route change from tourism to destination Florida?

It really makes perfect sense.
He is guilty in your eyes regardless. So what happens if he talks.

The police go through every effort to get him to contradict himself. The minute he does that, he is now guilty of lying to the police. If she walked out of him and he thought she was safe from the 24th until the 11th, nothing good can come from talking. It will only make you look worst and the police will get you to slip up.

The mom gets an text from her daughters phone on August 1st, easily traced to Yosemite. The van and BL was back in Florida on the 1st.

He would have to drove the van back to florida. Caught a plane back to California, then traveled to Yosemite to send one message, hope a plane back to florida.

That is the problem with this case. He could not drive that distance in 24 hours. He could not really fly that distance in 24 hours.

If the texts on the 24th and the 30th are from GP's phone , then BL could not have been
evolved. If those messages where sent those message were sent from anywhere, lets say texas and florida, BL would be in hand cuffs and arrested.
That’s what I wanted to know. WAS the text on 9/1 to mom somehow traced as having been sent from the Yosemite area? Or are you just saying that since he hasn’t been arrested it must have come from Yosemite because you assume LE would have found out by now?

Yep agreed. And putting aside what may or may not have happened between them surrounding Gabby's disappearance -- the kind of individual who returns solo in another person's vehicle without that person, and then ignores that person's very concerned family, and never called for help at any point (except for a lawyer for oneself) -- that this individual is capable of this speaks volumes about what else he might be capable of. Just saying, it makes it all that much worse.

Gabby did. Did you watch the video?
He said she grabbed the wheel which made him swerve. Why did the female cop not mention that she says she did not. Sure, the female cop had not heard all versions before she decided to blame Gabby. I'm still wondering how grabbing a guy's arm, who is driving a speeding vehicle evading the law is somehow worse than the speeding, evading the law and reckless driving in the first place. Seems a little backwards in law enforcement priorities.

Thanks so much! It's so hard to search through 5 threads and even keywords come up with so many results! Much respect, but I was looking for the officer saying they saw the marks. The statement was "even the officer noticed the marks on her"

Oops sorry didn't see this one. Discussion of marks starts at timestamp 12:15

Bearded officer notes that one of the other park rangers saw marks on BL's neck.
Then he says something like "I seen there's marks on her, too."

But he didn't write it in his report.

My two cents regarding GP’s Instagram account & the final Instagram post:

I believe they took the photos while in Ogden and GP planned to use them for a Halloween post at the appropriate time, because of the colors and it would make a cute Instagram holiday moment. But IMO, BL posted them to GP’s Instagram prematurely in an attempt to make it appear GP was posting.

Also, I believe that BL disabled GP’s Instagram account briefly, but put it back online on the advice of those around him, because removing it would be “suspicious,” might prove he had access to her account, and leaving it active might suggest she was still “with us.” As always, MOO

If you’re talking about the Instagram disabling of a couple of days ago, Instagram itself said that it had done it accidentally, and of course restored it when they realized their mistake.

Gabby Petito’s Instagram account disappeared for 4 hours. Here’s why

Sometimes people handle stress by giving it all to someone else to handle. Very very common. Bloodsuckers who come to visit, soak up all your sympathy and then leave you a bundle of nerves while they are rejuvenated. He blames her for everything, even his dangerous, illegal driving. she was too sensitive to recognize the blame he was dumping on her day after day.........and tell him to buzz off.

I didn't see him blaming her for his speeding. He did blame her for his hitting the curb when he pulled over, which seemed like it was accurate as she was hitting him, telling him to pull over.

He was going 45 in a 15 which is way over the limit but did you see the road? If they were arguing and he didn't see the speed limit sign, I can see where 45 would be a reasonable speed and hardly reckless. He apologized to the cops, more than once, for speeding.

I have no feelings about whether he harmed Gabby. I get no "vibes" other than he seemed pretty chill in the video. Returning w/o her and refusing to speak automatically looks very suspicious but I still don't think "murderer!". I have no idea what happened. Considering the absolute lack of information, so far, it bothers me how people are projecting their own baggage on him and demonizing him. I'm talking other than what we do know (returned w/o her and won't speak), he's been framed as an abuser; driving Gabby to losing it; making her life hell; being an aimless loser who's just sponging off Gabby; being thoughtless and selfish because his feet and sandals were dirty; killing Gabby and even killing the other two women in Moab! People can certainly say what they want but I'm just gonna throw out there that I find that to be too emotionally charged/biased and having nothing to do with the known facts, which are scant. I think it's wrong to do it. I've seen it done before (Shane, Heidi Brussard's SO, for one - it was outrageous). All we know from the incident in town and, later driving, is that Gabby hit him, more than once. That could be because he's a controlling monster who pushed her to the breaking point or it could be, as she said, that she's OCD and was stressed about getting the #vanlife stuff done on the computer. If she's OCD, and she said she is, that can be tough on both people because everything has to be perfect. I just think that both of these people need to be looked at more objectively - neither unnecessarily victimized or demonized.

None of that should be construed to mean anything other what I said. Gabby is missing and I hope she turns up alive. If he harmed her, I hope we find out and he'll deal with the consequences.

Timeline of Gabrielle Petito’s disappearance

27 Aug 27, 2021: Gabby tells friend via Snapchat they was heading for meet up at Yellowstone National Park and she will call on her birthday, August 29, to solidify the plan.

29 August, 2021: Missed birthday call with friend to discuss meet up plans at Yellowstone National Park.

30 August, 2021: Ms Schmidt receives a text purportedly from Ms Petito. Ms Smith says she is unsure if the text was actually from her daughter.

1 September, 2021: fiance, Brian Laundrie, returned to his Florida home.

I think it's important to bring up the time GP was last heard from to the time BL returned home. There is no way in hell he can get back to North Port in a day, which would mean he or GP had to text her mom on 8/30 while driving back to FL.

Grand Teton to North Port is a 35+ hour drive, it would take them 2 days IF they drive non stop only stopping for gas.

I think her phone pings are so important now, I'm not sure how it all works but if they can place the location of the phone during that text on 8/30 it could provide a needed break in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg