Still Missing HI - Ariel Sellers AKA 'Isabella Kalua', 6, last seen asleep in bdrm, Waimanalo, 12 Sep 2021*Arrests

Bellows is creepy at night. I don't know about now but you had to drive through a gate post with military to get to it(if they're talking about the area I'm familiar with). There are low bushes that hide big swaths of sudden ditches in the ground and tall pine trees that leave needles and tiny cones everywhere. Undertow is harsh. If the little girl went there for some reason(I can't imagine why), it does get pretty windy and cold. Also, I don't live anywhere near the Waimanalo area but used to go frequently to get to Frankies, a fabulous fruit tree place and a friend's ranch. Haven't watched the news yet. Thank you for the update!
Unfortunately autistic children are drawn to water and many wander. The latest news is very concerning IMO.

The Star-Advertiser is now reporting that there is an unconfirmed report that a backpack with toys and slippers was found.

Missing Waimanalo girl’s items may have been found

Missing Waimanalo girl’s items may have been found

Police made a discovery today inside Bellows Air Force Base in connection with the search for the missing 6-year-old Waimanalo girl, Isabella Kalua, known to her biological family as Ariel.

The Honolulu Police Department set up a roadblock this afternoon, but officers on scene would not confirm news reports that a backpack or bag with toys and slippers was found possibly belonging to Isabella.

HPD Homicide Lt. Deena Thoemmes, who oversees the Missing Persons Section, said in a written statement earlier in the afternoon: “At this time, foul play has not been ruled out.”

However, the case remains a missing persons case.

When asked about the backpack or bag, Melanie Joseph, Isabella’s biological mother, who was at the police command post tonight at Waimanalo District Park, said she could not say anything.

I agree with everything watson&winny said , especially about how scary and unlikely it would be for a child to wander around at night in Waimanalo or to walk to Kailua at night or enter the thick brush or forested areas. This is just looking super bad, imo.

The local paper reported tonight that a bag with some of the missing girl's items may have been found inside Bellows Air Force Base. Bellows Beach is at Bellow Airforce Base in Waimanalo and a walkable distance from where she lived. However, it would have been so dark and scary to go into that area at night via the lonely, windy road surrounded by dense brush. There are public campsites at Bellows Beach and the beach is popular. It seems to me that this could be related to Isabella/Ariel or also could have been left by a camper, etc. There is military base/beach housing at the end of the road, so the road is somewhat traveled at night. Fingers crossed that it's hers and that she's found hiding there somewhere.

What bothers me about this is that I haven't read or heard anything convincing about exactly when anyone, other than the adoptive family, actually last saw her. The Hawaii Department of Education verified today that the adoptive family filed the simple form to "Homeschool" in June. That was a long time ago and, from what I know from homeschool parents here that I know, there is usually little to no real follow up after that form is filed in Hawaii. Plus, if she was "Distance Learning" last year in kindergarten, too, then did anyone really see her then? Some distance learning here was with real teachers via computer (my kids Covid year was fully interactive with live, online teachers. However, other schools and classes were just self paced, with online material and no local teacher. Which did she have at Waimanalo Elementary, in kindergarten? It sounds to me like it's possible that she might have had little to no real school/teacher interaction. More information is needed. I'm just supposing and throwing out what I know about elementary schools here in Kailua and Waimanalo.

Who, other than adoptive family, has actually seen her since then and when? The police are keeping what they know very close to the vest here. I'm sure they have their reasons. However, the other kids that were removed from the house have to have been able to answer that simple question, right? Especially the older child. When and where was the last time you saw your little sister? Was she at the house Sunday afternoon? Seems like such a basic question and I really wish the police could be a little bit more forthcoming here, without compromising their investigation. Especially since so many are out searching for her. Just my thoughts and personal opinion. JMO IMO

I agree with everything watson&winny said , especially about how scary and unlikely it would be for a child to wander around at night in Waimanalo or to walk to Kailua at night or enter the thick brush or forested areas. This is just looking super bad, imo.

The local paper reported tonight that a bag with some of the missing girl's items may have been found inside Bellows Air Force Base. Bellows Beach is at Bellow Airforce Base in Waimanalo and a walkable distance from where she lived. However, it would have been so dark and scary to go into that area at night via the lonely, windy road surrounded by dense brush. There are public campsites at Bellows Beach and the beach is popular. It seems to me that this could be related to Isabella/Ariel or also could have been left by a camper, etc. There is military base/beach housing at the end of the road, so the road is somewhat traveled at night. Fingers crossed that it's hers and that she's found hiding there somewhere.

What bothers me about this is that I haven't read or heard anything convincing about exactly when anyone, other than the adoptive family, actually last saw her. The Hawaii Department of Education verified today that the adoptive family filed the simple form to "Homeschool" in June. That was a long time ago and, from what I know from homeschool parents here that I know, there is usually little to no real follow up after that form is filed in Hawaii. Plus, if she was "Distance Learning" last year in kindergarten, too, then did anyone really see her then? Some distance learning here was with real teachers via computer (my kids Covid year was fully interactive with live, online teachers. However, other schools and classes were just self paced, with online material and no local teacher. Which did she have at Waimanalo Elementary, in kindergarten? It sounds to me like it's possible that she might have had little to no real school/teacher interaction. More information is needed. I'm just supposing and throwing out what I know about elementary schools here in Kailua and Waimanalo.

Who, other than adoptive family, has actually seen her since then and when? The police are keeping what they know very close to the vest here. I'm sure they have their reasons. However, the other kids that were removed from the house have to have been able to answer that simple question, right? Especially the older child. When and where was the last time you saw your little sister? Was she at the house Sunday afternoon? Seems like such a basic question and I really with the police could be a little bit more forthcoming here, without compromising their investigation. Especially since so many are out searching for her. Just my thoughts and personal opinion. JMO IMO
I agree and I imagine the other children will be able to provide a great deal of information to investigators.

Poor little girl. Can't believe they put these children in a home with a convicted felon with violent felonies. And then a photo album with her pictures was found by a homeless person prior to her missing. Not good. MOO

Hmm. Let's just say that money is not a motive:
No allotment from the parents
No money from the foster care system
Child--maybe all four, adopted by foster parents
Child lived with adoptive parents for at least four years
So...this is a very big investment for the adoptive parents. I'm trying to imagine what could even motivate them to harm her. Was there an abduction? Highly unlikely. Better minds than mine figured that out and I'll go with what they say. So, could it have been a bizarre accidental death or someone else accidentally killed the child? --Assuming that she is not hiding or being kept somewhere. Also, could the belongings that were found be yet another red herring? Even if was the child's, would anyone be able to determine when it was dumped/placed/lost there?

Nothing remarkable to add and i'm new to this.
But, I work in schools. The only reason to have a plan for home schooling in the upcoming year is for school committee approval. That's my district. But why plan so early?

If someone came in and abducted her why did no one hear anything?

Kids sleep pretty soundly, kids don't usually go to bed with shoes on, kids are tucked in. Six year olds don't usually 'run away'. . do they?

The whole thing seems shady. I'm anxious to see the updates.

So...this is a very big investment for the adoptive parents. I'm trying to imagine what could even motivate them to harm her. Was there an abduction? Highly unlikely. Better minds than mine figured that out and I'll go with what they say. So, could it have been a bizarre accidental death or someone else accidentally killed the child? --Assuming that she is not hiding or being kept somewhere. Also, could the belongings that were found be yet another red herring? Even if was the child's, would anyone be able to determine when it was dumped/placed/lost there?

The same thing that motivates any adult to hurt any child, though I don't know what that is. It's a misconception that adoptive parents or parents with fertility problems are automatically good/better parents just because there's been a lot of money and time invested into becoming parents. Sadly there are a lot of adoptive parents who are not good parents. You only have to look at websites like <modsnip - not an approved source> to see how many adoptees end up with awful parents.

That being said, it's still entirely possible that she wandered off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hundreds of volunteers continue search for missing 6-year-old Waimanalo girl, Isabella Kalua

From the article
Kalua's adoptive parents had custody of four of Joseph's five daughters for four years. A fifth, a 5-year-old, lives with a relative.

According to the Joseph family, after Isabella disappeared, Child Welfare Services took custody Monday of the three siblings, ages 12, 3, 1, who they say were living with the Sonny and Lehua Kalua family.

So, if I'm understanding the family dynamics correctly, Isabella and the 12 year old sister were placed with the adoptive family 4 years ago when they were appx 8 & 2. The 5 year old would have been 1 at the time, but has either always lived with the relative or was placed with the relative at some point. After the initial placements, the 1 & 3 year olds were born and were also placed with the adoptive family.

Sounds like a sad situation any way you slice it... a bio mom continuing to have 2 more children after 3 others were already not in her care, 5 siblings but only 4 living together. And now one of the children is missing for nearly a week and is only 6 years old (and has special needs/is Autistic?)

I really hope CPS hasnt dropped the ball for these children. Every child deserves to be born into a safe, stable, loving home and when that doesn't happen, they deserve a safe, stable, loving adoptive home. I hope this child has just gone off on a late-night adventure and will be found safe despite the long absence and her young age, but following so many childrens cases here makes being optimistic nearly impossible for me.

CPS involvement
Pulled from school
Left in the middle of the night/went to bed, woke up, and they were just gone

Edited to add news article link

Who, other than adoptive family, has actually seen her since then and when? The police are keeping what they know very close to the vest here. I'm sure they have their reasons. However, the other kids that were removed from the house have to have been able to answer that simple question, right? Especially the older child. When and where was the last time you saw your little sister? Was she at the house Sunday afternoon? Seems like such a basic question and I really wish the police could be a little bit more forthcoming here, without compromising their investigation. Especially since so many are out searching for her. Just my thoughts and personal opinion. JMO IMO
Great post and I echo your question regarding who last saw Isabella and when. If that question is answered satisfactorily, I might believe she left under her own steam.

Hi WW, thanks for checking in last night on the tweets I posted, that was so helpful!!

There is a California case I follow here at WS (Orrin & Orson Wells-Missing from California City). This case has similarities which I've mentioned upstream. In the CA case it was discovered that payments from the State for fostering/adopting can be substantial. As it should be, God bless the folks who take these kids in and love them as their own. But in a very small minority of cases, money is found to be a motivator and caring for and loving the children is secondary. Not at all saying that is the case here, just noting what we have seen here at WS on occasion.

Regarding the items found at Bellows Beach. Like @Dave99, I hope she is found hiding nearby. But could it be a red herring, absolutely - hopefully we hear news soon. Are you hearing anything locally?

Hundreds of volunteers continue search for missing 6-year-old Waimanalo girl, Isabella Kalua

From the article

So, if I'm understanding the family dynamics correctly, Isabella and the 12 year old sister were placed with the adoptive family 4 years ago when they were appx 8 & 2. The 5 year old would have been 1 at the time, but has either always lived with the relative or was placed with the relative at some point. After the initial placements, the 1 & 3 year olds were born and were also placed with the adoptive family.

Sounds like a sad situation any way you slice it... a bio mom continuing to have 2 more children after 3 others were already not in her care, 5 siblings but only 4 living together. And now one of the children is missing for nearly a week and is only 6 years old (and has special needs/is Autistic?)

I really hope CPS hasnt dropped the ball for these children. Every child deserves to be born into a safe, stable, loving home and when that doesn't happen, they deserve a safe, stable, loving adoptive home. I hope this child has just gone off on a late-night adventure and will be found safe despite the long absence and her young age, but following so many childrens cases here makes being optimistic nearly impossible for me.

CPS involvement
Pulled from school
Left in the middle of the night/went to bed, woke up, and they were just gone

Edited to add news article link

Finding her backpack is concerning. With the photo album and and now back pack I’m curious the distance between the 2 finds. Can a local chime in on this?

Not a local, but here is the distance between the home on Puha and Bellows Beach where the backpack was found. I didn't add the trash drop off location, because I don't think it would have been carried there by Isabella.

Google Maps click on map link

Locals, if I've got this wrong, please correct me. But it looks like she would have needed to cross the highway and walk a good ways on Tinker road to get to the location the backpack and shoes were found? The growth appears to be pretty dense, could she access the beach not using Tinker Road?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back