Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know about the Uber Eats pizza because HER FATHER told us that HE ordered a pizza for Gabby while she was in the SLC hotel and Brian was in Florida. He did it because her social media communications were down.

Yes. I am aware that her father ordered that for her. My response was to people who are questioning why he ordered it and she did not. Power outages don’t normally take out land lines unless they are tied-in to the power, and if she had a charged cell phone she could have made the call herself. I simply wondered if perhaps she did not have a credit card or was low on cash.

jmo

What would be the very biggest threat to these two and VanLife?

Pregnancy

There is no way the two of them and a baby could live in that little van. Now additional daily financial pressure for meds, diapers, clothing, supplies, etc. No Grammas around to help, support, coach, give the couple a break.

And her blogging time will be cut down and he might have to find a JOB!

Was this why LE had to suddenly interrupt the trip to fly to FL, leaving her in SLC?

NOTE: He LEFT her. Alone.

Did he freak out and call his parents asking advice? Would they have demanded he visit to talk things over in person, WITHOUT HER there.?

Would he have decided they had to split up permanently and that's why her possessssions had to be removed, so she had no reason to come back to live in their home, as they had done as a couple?

Or would they have just continued on a bit to Yellowstone, then cutting off the trip andplanning on returning back to FL, at which point she'd tell her parents?

I dunno.

Just musing about what turned this trip around so fast that he had to fly to FL for only 4 days, yet return to appear to finish parts of the trip.

been waiting for someone to mention this.... if true harmones could explain some of her emotions.... We only know about the "Oh baby" on pinterest and JMO too

Did he know that Brian was even home, much less doing this?

Re: "moved to Florida to be nearer her" - I hadn't heard this before. I found it in the Daily Mail (not, in my book, a reliable source of information) and then I found it in the Sun (even less of a reliable source of information). The Sun described the move as "in part" to be nearer to his daughter, so there was more than just her presence. I'm not dismissing this report of his motivations. There's often a kernel of truth in these things. But I'd like more evidence. Of course, I think we'd ALL like more evidence about a lot of things in this case . . .

I'm not concerned as to the reasoning, I probably should have left that bit out, but he lives at Vero beach and he paid for some food to be sent to Gabby when she was alone in the hotel. I'm not entirely sure about the details regarding whether he knew Brian was away.

My point is more that Gabby's dad was nearby, so why pay for a plane ticket for Brian to return home to Florida and a hotel room for Gabby for several nights?

Also, Brian and his dad moved Gabby and Brian's stuff out of a storage unit because Brian's dad said they could store their stuff in Brian's parents house. But B and G were living at his parents's house, so they moved stuff out of that house to a storage unit and then back to the house.

It could be Brian's dad decluttered and made more space, but I believe they didn't have masses of travelling time left and it all just sounds a bit unnecessary.

Would Brian have gone home for some other reason? I'm assuming LE will be checking all this. I'll be interested to see what they make of this.

One thing that has to keep in everyone mind, he had to leave utah/yellowstone by aug 24th/25th.
Odgen utah to north port florida is 2,400ish miles. A professional driver would take 4 days to complete that task. He could not speed, unless he was pulled over, and he could not drive while tired, unless he would get pulled over.

So. 2,400 miles is like 35 straight hours of driving.
I would put his first day of the return drive at Aug 29 or even Aug 30. I don't think this was a sedate drive at the posted speed limit, even though he had the belief that she was hidden well enough that she would not be found in the next 3 days.

If he was jetting it, he could probably could do it in 3 days. So assuming Sept 1 is also a driving day, that would be him driving 8/29, 8/30, 8/31, 9/1

Those of us who take road trips tend to not take well-traveled roads.

Yes but I think they were following and doing other peoples experiences. If I was to write about traveling to Jackson from SLC I would not tell people to go that way unless they wanted to go to one of the hot springs in southern Idaho. Other than that I would recommend the other route, unless you like looking at a lot of grain an alpha growing. Also, the view of the Tetons coming from the west is awesome.

Last edited:
What would be the very biggest threat to these two and VanLife?

Pregnancy

There is no way the two of them and a baby could live in that little van. Now additional daily financial pressure for meds, diapers, clothing, supplies, etc. No Grammas around to help, support, coach, give the couple a break.

And her blogging time will be cut down and he might have to find a JOB!

Was this why LE had to suddenly interrupt the trip to fly to FL, leaving her in SLC?

NOTE: He LEFT her. Alone.

Did he freak out and call his parents asking advice? Would they have demanded he visit to talk things over in person, WITHOUT HER there.?

Would he have decided they had to split up permanently and that's why her possessssions had to be removed, so she had no reason to come back to live in their home, as they had done as a couple?

Or would they have just continued on a bit to Yellowstone, then cutting off the trip andplanning on returning back to FL, at which point she'd tell her parents?

I dunno.

Just musing about what turned this trip around so fast that he had to fly to FL for only 4 days, yet return to appear to finish parts of the trip.

been waiting for someone to mention this.... if true harmones could explain some of her emotions.... We only know about the "Oh baby" on pinterest and JMO too

Snipped for focus. Lots of people say they have OCD, but they don't really have that diagnosis. It's just how they describe being a neat and organized person and being very bothered by messes. I don't think Gabby's family has mentioned whether she actually had that diagnosis or not, right? Just wanted to point this out. She may actually be diagnosed OCD, or it may just be how she self-deprecatingly describes her quirks, or it may be how BL belittles her neatness if he is a messy person. Just don't want us to take the OCD as fact, in case she is using it as a way of speaking rather than an actually personality disorder that she's been diagnosed with.

Unrelated, but the scratches, and the way the police and journalists automatically assumed they meant GP was the aggressor (not to mention the way BL quickly showed them off) are bothering me.

Seminal domestic violence scholar Michael P. Johnson described the different kinds of violence involved in relationships. Although popular culture usually regards physical violence as the worst, most unforgivable kind, Johnson differentiated what he calls "intimate partner terrorism" and another excellent DV scholar, Evan Stark, calls "coercive control" as by far the most dangerous and most likely to lead to fatality.

Johnson also describes the following 2 types of violence that I feel may be a factor here:

2.1.2. Violent resistance
Many victims of intimate terrorism do respond with violence of their own. For some, this is an instinctive reaction to being attacked, and it happens at the first blow—almost without thought. For others, it doesn't happen until it seems that the assaults will continue forever if something isn't done to stop them. For most women in heterosexual relationships, the size difference between them and their male partner ensures that violent resistance won't help, and may make things worse, so they turn to other means of coping. For a few, eventually it seems that the only way out is to kill their partner.

2.1.3. Situational couple violence
This is violence that is not part of a general pattern of coercive control, but rather occurs when couple conflicts become arguments that turn to aggression that becomes violent. It is by far the most common form of intimate partner violence, and also the most variable. Somewhere around 40% of the cases identified in general surveys involve only one relatively minor incident, but many cases do involve chronic and/or serious, even life-threatening, violence. In contrast to intimate terrorism, situational couple violence does not involve an attempt on the part of one partner to gain general control over the other, and unlike intimate terrorism and violent resistance it is roughly gender-symmetric in terms of perpetration. The violence is situationally-provoked, as the tensions or emotions of a particular encounter lead one or both of the partners to resort to violence.

Gender and types of intimate partner violence: A response to an anti-feminist literature review - ScienceDirect

When people are completely powerless in a situation, it is not at all uncommon for them to use minor violence such as scratching and slapping. I'm not saying it's right, only that it's frequent for that minor violence to be twisted by perpetrators and systems to frame the primary aggressor as the "real victim" and the victim as the perpetrator. I cannot tell you how frequently I see this in the real world. In fact, here in Colorado, we had a state rep whose female family member was taken to jail for DV because her partner had scratches on him and she appeared to have no wounds. Her politically powerful relative advocated for her to be taken to the hospital and medically examined. (A person who wasn't related to a state rep would have never succeeded in this request, but fortunately, it was granted.) At the hospital, damage to her throat indicative of strangulation was discovered. It was proven that her partner had strangled her (strangulation is the form of DV most predictive of lethality according to the research: Prevalence of strangulation in survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence - ScienceDirect ) and the scratches were defensive wounds from her fighting for her life. Yet she was deemed the abuser and taken to jail.

Obviously there's a lot we don't know yet, but I see dynamics I recognize from years of work and study in the DV field--and let's recognize only one party is up and vanished with a high likelihood of being dead, and it's not BL.

I absolutely think that this is the truth of what’s going on, having been through this myself. I didn’t have the right words to express it. Excellent post

First, why couldn’t police bring BL’s parents in to talk with. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think they can claim their conversations with their son are priviledged. He is an adult and they are not his priest or doctor or lawyer. They may not talk but maybe it would put some pressure on them.
Secondly, and it’s been talked about before, why can’t they arrest BL for stealing her van? They sure can’t confirm she let him borrow it since she’s missing. Again maybe just put some pressure on him.
This whole case is crazy. Where the heck is it headed? Has BL found a safe little corner in the legal universe to dwell in the rest of his life? I hope not.

Gosh.. I am not one to speculate but if you want to go anywhere in the world where cell towers cannot ping you then there is mile's and miles of pastureland as an alternate route to the Tetons. I couldn't even hardly call it even a road. It is more a wagon route primitive hilly pasture you have to dodge cows with no civilization in sitefor miles.

First time posting here... I'm not entirely caught up with the thread, but just wanted to say that I, like many of the other women here, have survived abusive partners. We've had guys hit us, grab us, verbally provoke us to the point of emotional breakdown or outburst, drive at unsafe speeds with us as passenger, and I personally have had a guy leave me on the side of the road to scare me that I was abandoned in the middle of somewhere very unsafe and then circle back to get me after I had been thoroughly unhinged by being left. Abuse comes in many forms, from subtle to gross, and it doesn't always look the way you think. Those who are suggesting some of us are projecting past experiences onto BL's behavior may need to actually listen a bit more carefully to those of us who have survived relationships with men who are capable of terrible things. We see things you don't because our experiences have created a heightened awareness of certain behaviors that raise huge red flags. BL's behavior raises a whole lot of red flags. It is plain as day to many of us. Those of us who are here commenting are the lucky ones because we lived to see another day. GP may not be so lucky to be able to tell her story one day, and there is one person who knows what happened, and he is showing a pathological lack of empathy by remaining silent. Look how much pain his silence is causing GP's loved ones, that in itself is abuse, it doesn't matter if it is his constitutional right, it is inhumane and unconscionable.
Thank you for the courage to share your painful experience, @GIjane. We survivors get those knowing goosebumps, whether it's Chris Watts or Barry Morphew or Fotis Dulos. I certainly have them now.
My opinion only, of course.

I just find this whole ordering food thing interesting. For a woman who is, on the one hand, an aspiring YT'er/VanLifer living the utmost of independent lives yet on the other hand, getting food ordered by her dad thousands of miles away .... I can only imagine - and this is totally MO - that there is a huge conflict with her. She wants the independent adult life, yet has many fears about it. Bless her heart, she must have been really struggling lately.
I remember when I was 22, thinking, "OK, I'm supposed to be an adult now," but still not knowing what to do in certain situations that I'd never encountered, and calling my parents. One time, my car broke down late at night in sub-zero temps, in the snow, in the midwest, far from where I was trying to go, with my dog in the back. I was able to roll down the ramp and into a rest stop, but I was broke and had no idea what I was supposed to do next. So I went in the rest stop lobby with my dog (because I couldn't take her inside and I was scared that it was too cold in the car), and sat on the floor and cried. And I wasn't even a particularly immature 22-year-old.

I am very far behind on this thread, so please excuse me if this has already been mentioned. In case there is a link between BL and the dead women, do the police have a description of the "creeper" the women had previously complained about? If so, is it possible that the police may have been overly concerned with BL's scratches because they may have felt he could be the "creeper"?

Imo, BL and the creeper are two different people. Either one of which may have not been involved in the murders.

I wish I could give him the benefit of the doubt and I’m not being disingenuous in saying that. I really do wish I could. But quite frankly I find his behavior absolutely appalling and disgusting. If I was his age(and I’m not that much older). I couldn’t stay silent. I’d either be out there looking for her or I’d just explain what happened and let the cards fall where they may. Simply because I care for other human beings around me(especially if it was someone I was once romantically involved with) and I couldn’t live with myself….knowing I knew what happened(even if I didn’t do it/it was accidental) and that the family was hoping, yearning, waiting just for any sign of life….of hope. I couldn’t do what he’s doing. I get self preservation….but I couldn’t live with myself.

You made me think about the fact that he (and his girlfriend) are living with his parents. This isn't uncommon these days because of the economy, but not many people do this AND take multiple, months'-long road trips. It doesn't look like he was doing the normal growing-up things of schooling or looking for a job, but instead has a really dependent relationship with his parents. I'm not getting a strong sense of responsibility here.

Yes, I had this done to me once as well.
Looks like several of us know this trick in the book. My ex bf *killed* his passenger by speeding & road rage. Ugly stuff.
So here's the thing with this part - I have read that BL flew home to move stuff OUT of a storage unit and INTO his parents' house, to save money. As in, he and GP put their stuff in storage because they were going to be gone for months, and then BL's parents said they could just keep it at the house.

I also have read that BL flew back to move GP's stuff INTO storage because they broke up, but then they reconciled and he returned to Utah or wherever she was at the time.

If the first story is the factual one, it's weird to spend $$$ on a plane ticket to save a few months' storage fees. And yeah, if it's the second, why not loop in GP's father and ask if she can move her stuff to his house.

Don't know, and no one's talking who could straighten out these stories.
Agreed. I would think the father would get one of his buddies to help him move all that stuff so B doesn't need to fly all the way home *RIght in the middle of a cross country trip* to act as muscle himself. It makes no sense UNLESS there was another reason. Either hiding something, or, say, he had a dentist appt. or a few other things like that, so killing several birds with one stone.

Despite all the SM chatter, I haven't suspected the Schulte/Turner murders were actually connected to Gabby's disappearance and BL's hiding. However, after mulling over the statement made by BL's attorney... I'm now entertaining a possibility these could be connected. Weird.

Timing and location is very coincidental. Then there's a domestic fight at the same time between two people that 'seem' happy together normally. And suddenly, BL gets an attorney right away when he returns alone? Hard to say, but he's obviously hiding something. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out there's somehow a link in the two cases.

I just find this whole ordering food thing interesting. For a woman who is, on the one hand, an aspiring YT'er/VanLifer living the utmost of independent lives yet on the other hand, getting food ordered by her dad thousands of miles away .... I can only imagine - and this is totally MO - that there is a huge conflict with her. She wants the independent adult life, yet has many fears about it. Bless her heart, she must have been really struggling lately.

I somewhat agree with this or it could be dad trying to make her feel better if she was telling him she was having a rough patch.

Can someone direct me to the source of his allegedly belittling or stopping her from finishing her blog project that same day of the altercation? I don't need a link, just would like to know where to look it up. If it did occur.

She says it at the beginning of the body cam video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members