SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
“He doesn’t speak often, but when he does – you should probably pay attention to what he says.”

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Mark Keel Throws Down The Gauntlet

Keel is the definitional “speak softly and carry a big stick” public figure. Since being named chief of SLED a decade ago, he has held precisely two press conferences – one in October 2012 (at Haley’s request) to address a data breach at the S.C. Department of Revenue (SCDOR) and one back in June to address a troubling rise in violent crime in the Palmetto State.

I can assure you that SLED agents will continue working to bring justice to anyone involved with any criminal act associated with these ongoing investigations,” Keel said. “The arrests in this case are only the first step in that process.”

That’s right … “anyone involved with any criminal act associated with these ongoing investigations.”

Again, that is an incredibly bold statement. Especially in light of where these inquiries appear to be headed …

A week ago, the insurance claim was worth $500k. Yesterday is was worth $2+ million. Today it's $4 million? Richer by the minute?
I think they may be including medical bills that the insurance company paid to the lawyer to pay her hospital and doctor bills but the money never made it to her caregivers.

A friend of mine was severely injured in a oil rig explosion and had over 1 million dollars in medical bills for surgeries ect. When the insurance company settled they included all those medical bills in the settlement which his attorney (unlike GS's sons attorney) then paid.

JMO

OK, everyone needs to listen to this new podcast episode. They interview Eric Bland, the attorney for an Gloria Satterfield‘s sons. And he explains exactly how the fraud was pulled off!

‎The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence: Episode #15. Death, Corruption & Missing Money on Apple Podcasts

In a nutshell, AM approached the boys at the funeral and said they needed to sue him, and he knew just a guy who could handle it, his BFF Corey. Corey took the case, but they appointed the bank guy as a personal representative. That meant that Corey didn’t have to inform his clients about any hearings or any settlement negotiations, so they were completely out of the loop. They only had to notify the personal representative, who was their other BFF. Then, once the settlement was made, Alex set up a shell company (with a name very close to a legit company that distributes lawsuit awarded funds). And the entire settlement amount was deposited into that fake company’s bank account!!

Bland knows that they were for sure awarded $25,000 for the three weeks that she survived in the hospital, plus $505,000 for the death. But he believes the actual award was $4 million (which may have been to cover the medical bills). He explains it better in the interview. It’s well worth the listen!

OK, everyone needs to listen to this new podcast episode. They interview Eric Bland, the attorney for an Gloria Satterfield‘s sons. And he explains exactly how the fraud was pulled off!

‎The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence: Episode #15. Death, Corruption & Missing Money on Apple Podcasts

In a nutshell, AM approached the boys at the funeral and said they needed to sue him, and he knew just a guy who could handle it, his BFF Corey. Corey took the case, but they appointed the bank guy as a personal representative. That meant that Corey didn’t have to inform his clients about any hearings or any settlement negotiations, so they were completely out of the loop. They only had to notify the personal representative, who was their other BFF. Then, once the settlement was made, Alex set up a shell company (with a name very close to a legit company that distributes lawsuit awarded funds). And the entire settlement amount was deposited into that fake company’s bank account!!

Bland knows that they were for sure awarded $25,000 for the three weeks that she survived in the hospital, plus $505,000 for the death. But he believes the actual award was $4 million (which may have been to cover the medical bills). He explains it better in the interview. It’s well worth the listen!
WOW - Nothing like defrauding a widow with a developmentally-challenged child after the medical records and death certificate don't square with her suspicious accident.

I'm in a hangin' mood today.

So where does all the $$$$ go.?

I guess Corey F. and Mr. Bank may have some 'splainin' to do.

WOW - Nothing like defrauding a widow with a developmentally-challenged child after the medical records and death certificate don't square with her suspicious accident.

I'm in a hangin' mood today.

So where does all the $$$$ go.?

I guess Corey F. and Mr. Bank may have some 'splainin' to do.

Did they say that it went to a structured settlement company? If that is true, then it may be going to other clients who had settlements that were structured, they may not have given that company their money until they got this money. I have no inside knowledge on this, but when I was reading various federal cases against lawyers who had made off with their clients' settlement money, then made off with future client's settlement money to pay the first ones, in a robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of thing.
I am sure the IRS is already watching this all. But an investigation from them could be a long time coming. Illegal income is still income and subject to taxes.

For example if the embezzlement started in 2018 the filing date for 2018 is 04/15/2019. So that means the last filing date for filing a return (assuming AM filed his return in a timely manner) or to amended his return to include the illegal funds would be 3 years from the last filing date which would be 04/15/2022.

With Covid if the embezzlement started in 2019 the filing date for 2019 return is 07/15/2020. So that means the last filing date for filing a return (assuming AM filed his return in a timely manner) or to amended his return to include the illegal funds would be 3 years from the last filing date which would be 07/15/2023.

With Covid if the embezzlement started in 2020 the filing date for 2020 is 06/15/2021. So that means the last filing date for filing a return (assuming AM filed his return in a timely manner) or to amended his return to include the illegal funds would be 3 years from the last filing date which would be 06/15/2024.

The IRS will wait until those 3 + years pass (because legally he has 3 years to amend his return to include the illegal money and pay taxes on it) before they launch a criminal investigation into the missing money. If he has not amended his tax returns to include the illegal money then he will be charged with tax evasion.

BTW that goes for all those supposed millions CES obtained for drugs. Plus the state could come after him for sales tax. lol

He really has CES screwed. He better start singing. And now we have a shell company or a settlement company and a bank involved.

ETA: I believe the drug nonsense is setting up his defense on the embezzlement. I wonder if they were saying it was a 20 year addiction to cover a long crime spree on the money.

Last edited:
Did they say that it went to a structured settlement company? If that is true, then it may be going to other clients who had settlements that were structured, they may not have given that company their money until they got this money. I have no inside knowledge on this, but when I was reading various federal cases against lawyers who had made off with their clients' settlement money, then made off with future client's settlement money to pay the first ones, in a robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of thing.

He really has CES screwed. He better start singing. And now we have a shell company and a bank involved.

ETA: I believe the drug nonsense is setting up his defense on the embezzlement. I wonder if they were saying it was a 20 year addiction to cover a long crime spree on the money.
I'm wondering what kind of business might use large amts of $$$ under the table.

I'm wondering if CES has a silent partner in his "interstate trucking" business.

“He doesn’t speak often, but when he does – you should probably pay attention to what he says.”

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Mark Keel Throws Down The Gauntlet

Keel is the definitional “speak softly and carry a big stick” public figure. Since being named chief of SLED a decade ago, he has held precisely two press conferences – one in October 2012 (at Haley’s request) to address a data breach at the S.C. Department of Revenue (SCDOR) and one back in June to address a troubling rise in violent crime in the Palmetto State.

I can assure you that SLED agents will continue working to bring justice to anyone involved with any criminal act associated with these ongoing investigations,” Keel said. “The arrests in this case are only the first step in that process.”

That’s right … “anyone involved with any criminal act associated with these ongoing investigations.”

Again, that is an incredibly bold statement. Especially in light of where these inquiries appear to be headed …

It took some patience to read thru that lovefest for Keel to get to the point of the article. I really don’t think we would have gotten to the bottom of the Walter Scott killing had it been left to SLED without that video.

So did Fleming handle the extra claim for the $3.5 million or did AM just handle that "by himself" ?

Am I undersstanding that between these two attorneys, something like $2.8 that should have gone to the heirs has been embezzled?

( The dealings of AM are so disgusting I feel covered in slime just reading about him)

It’s actually closer to 4 million. And one of Gloria’s boys has special needs and was dependent on Gloria and her income in addition to SSI. Absolutely reprehensible. MOO

I actually hope the Feds don't step in here (except, perhaps, for a tax-evasion investigation). The broader investigation will get shut down for sure then.

How shall I put this delicately? Dick Harpootlian represents the interests of a certain group of people, who have inserted him into this affair, in order to provide them with a window into the investigation. Read between the lines.

And don't think for a minute, that Mr. Keel doesn't realize this. I think that SLED will do a better job of investigating this, for the time being, at least until public exposure makes it impossible for the federal Justice Department to sweep it under the rug. Even then, I wouldn't bet that justice will ultimately be served.....it's a crap shoot at this point.

100%!!!!! The very last thing this case needs is the Feds. I appreciate there investigative prowess in random crime cases we see here, but that is not what we have here. At all.

He really has CES screwed. He better start singing. And now we have a shell company or a settlement company and a bank involved.

No - it went to a FAKE structured settlement company that was started by Alex Murdaugh! It was one letter off from the name of a legitimate structured settlement company. But it was fake, started by him, and he kept all the money. Eric Bland explains it all very clearly in that interview.

No - it went to a FAKE structured settlement company that was started by Alex Murdaugh! It was one letter off from the name of a legitimate structured settlement company. But it was fake, started by him, and he kept all the money. Eric Bland explains it all very clearly in that interview.

Thank you. I just listened to it again (I have five kids, so sometimes I have to go back and listen to something again if someone shouts, and I heard it the second time.).

WHO DOES THIS‽‽‽‽‽‽

JEEBUS

He really should look more like Snidely Whiplash.

Fleming then allegedly chose a mutual friend of his and Murdaugh's, Chad Westendorf, to represent Satterfield's estate in the prosecution instead of one of Satterfield's family members.
This made Westendorf the only person required 'to petition the court for approval of any future settlements and/or appear at any future hearings to approve settlements.'

BBM
Wouldn't him being a VP of the bank bring in the FBI, DOJ and Department of Treasury plus the Bureau of Consumer Protection Affairs which oversees all banking activities? Maybe someone who works in a bank can answer this better than I can. In addition does representing an estate mean a trust fund for minors was set up for the boys at the bank for insurance monies to be paid into? And since he was an employee of the bank is the bank liable to pay all that money back?

JMO

JMO

@jmonkatthestate
Are SC judges involved in ongoing tangled Murdaugh true crime saga?

There were at least $3 million in other insurance payments due to the heirs of Gloria Satterfield, and we’re going to be going after that money,” said Eric Bland, the Columbia attorney who filed the lawsuit last week.

“That $3 million is missing,” Bland said Friday in an interview.

The initial lawsuit alleges that Alex Murdaugh and two of his friends — another lawyer and a banker — are responsible for diverting $505,000 from Satterfield’s two sons, her estate’s rightful heirs.

Bland said he expects to file additional legal actions soon naming other parties who could be responsible for the missing money. He declined to identify them Friday.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article254311178.html#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam