Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod Note:

Please Read and Acknowledge

Where we are at this time:
-Brian Laundrie is officially named a POI by Law Enforcement
-Awareness foundation is approved for discussion
-Find Gabby FB page is not approved
-Gabby is still missing and considered the victim in this case
-Authorities have the van
-LE was at the Laundrie home last night
to talk with family - Protestors were at scene
-FOX 13 has reached out to authorities and police confirmed that they have been in contact with the TikTok user, Miranda Baker. They say her story is "possibly credible."
-Authorities are searching for BL who is now considered a missing person: current known search is at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park / Carlton Reserve
-BL’s parents shared with LE they have not seen BL since Tuesday

———————————————

-Gabby’s case is not connected to the double homicide - DO NOT BRING IT BACK INTO THE Thread
-DO NOT BRING IN COVID / COVID SHOTS
-Do not start or encourage conspiracy theories
-Speculation or suggestions of a hoax or drug use is not permitted
-Include links to sources
-Do not link to unapproved social media
-post to engage in dialogue, not to bicker or argue with fellow posters
-No sleuthing BL’s parents
-WS is Law Enforcement friendly - it OK to have an opinion on the status of events but do not openly bash LE on WS

Violations of the bullets above will result in an immediate time out. If you have a concern, please use the report link at the bottom of any post rather than stating your concern in thread. If you have question please PM a member of the Mod Team. We are here to help you!

Complete list of rules can be found here: RULES

Thank you for helping us keep this thread open and running smoothly by following the rules and guidelines above. We don’t like closing threads any more than you like experiencing a thread closure.

Thanks for being amazing and valued WS members!!

Best to All,
Tiff

———————
Compliments of @oviedo
MAR 17
: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
JUL 2: GP announced her engagement to BL

JUL 2
: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL - GP is the owner of the van
JUL 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
JUL 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
JUL 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
JUL 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
JUL 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks
JUL 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
JUL 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs
JUL 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch
==================================
AUG 10
: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple was at the organic store (Moonflower) from 9am to 3pm according to the police video - they were going to get water and showers - police report incident is at 4pm and the video is over an hour long of this incident. BL is taken to a hotel -Where does Gabby go for the night?

AUG 12
: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park - Believe the hike was august 9 and posted on aug 12
AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE) - Is this where Gabby stayed in her van/tent?

AUG 13
: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
=============================
AUG 17: BL returns to Florida via airplane to move their things out of storage returns Aug 23 -Some reports say he moved stuff into storage and some say out of storage

AUG 19: YouTube travel video posted
AUG 21: Gabbys dad orders Uber eats
AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
AUG 23: BL returns from Florida trip via airplane (Where was the van parked?)
AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 25 - Couple spots van at 5pm at Jenny Lake - alerts LE 9/17 they saw it (this is new information for the timeline)
AUG 27
- Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”
AUG 29- BL is picked up at 5:30pm while hiking alone in Grand Teton (tiktok)

AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite
August 31: A new list titled “Self-Consumption” appeared on the couple’s Spotify
SEP 1: BL returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10:: Gabby’s mother texted Brian and his mother, Roberta, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied The family alerted the National Park Service.
Sept 10-? Discovery of her Van
SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI
Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest
Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement
Sep 15- Northport police chief asks BL lawyer to assist in finding Gabby
Sep 17 - FBI takes over search in WY (GTNP =Grand Teton National Park)
Sept 17- BL family asks police to come to their home
Sept 17- LE at BL home - he is declared missing by his parents as of Tuesday

——-
Note:
September 1: POI BL is in Florida (we don't yet know when he left with her van to drive home to his parents house where he remains)

4 songs were added to the playlist "Mtn tops," on an account Gabby Petito appears to share with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie: Many of the songs, collected on an account she appeared to share with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, focus on love and heartache.
"Your woman is your angel, is your left side, is your whole life; easily the most beautiful thing in the world," one song, Matt Berry’s "Woman," begins. "She'll soothe you; she'll accuse you; she'll confuse you; she'll lose you but always be the best friend you have in the world."

Another song, "Take My Hand," is about picking up a stranger at a bar. "The Badger’s Wake" is about a badger decomposing underground.

Mother of missing Gabby Petito says boyfriend and his family IGNORED her desperate texts | Daily Mail Online

Missing woman's haunting songs on Spotify account may provide answers

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...-laundrie-hiking-in-grand-teton-national-park

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*
ETA discovery of the van by Gabbys dad on person is questionable- he may have driven by and called LE (need to research this)

Last edited:
Maybe LE assumes because they were given the keys to the van by (presumably Brian), that he has at least been in the Florida home at some point recently. imo.

On the other hand, when I think about that, I realize that the father could have flown to meet a distressed Brian, sent him somewhere to hide, and driven the van back himself. imo.

The 310,000 acre Grand Teton park has more than 485 square miles of backcountry, most of which is requires hiking in. “Members of search unit at the park can be air lifted to various remote areas for a search,” the ranger said. “They don’t tell us specifics they sort of do what they do.”

Petito’s stepfather, Jim Schmidt, who is in Wyoming trying to aid the search for her, told DailyMail.com, they are confident she made it to the area, but aren’t sure where she may have been camping.

The news outlet found a list of backcountry sites in the park on a camping website called thedyrt.com registered to “Gabby and Brian V.” Reporters visited several of the sites, including one that showed recent signs of grizzly bear activity, one of many predators that live in the park.

The ranger also said he believes “there may also be a search going on in a remote area of Yellowstone National Park.”

It’s not clear where in Yellowstone the rangers might be searching. One 50-square mile section of the park edges over the border into Idaho, which some have called the “zone of death” because of a theory that a murder there.
Rangers searching Grant Teton, Yellowstone for woman – Leak Herald

Reposting: to include paper
Michigan State University law professor Brian C Kalt explains the area in his 2005 Georgetown Law Journal paper, known as The Perfect Crime
Gabby called family near 'zone of death' where 'perfect murder' could happen

The Perfect Crime by Brian C. Kalt :: SSRN
...and almost 2300 miles between there and North Port. Who says he left her body in Grand Tetons?
Sadly, she could be in a dumpster in Tallahasee.

Last edited:
Did they just see him leave or did they go hiking with him? How did they last see him when he went hiking in a specific park? Just an odd way to describe the last time they saw their son. What even are these parents doing?

I’m super interested to know the last time someone physically saw Brian, other than his parents. They are losing credibly at this point for me. And I’m someone who always, ALWAYS refuses to assume or speculate.
bbm
Sadly I agree.
Although they lost credibility for me when he returned 9/1 minus Gabby, his fiance and presumably the love of his life --- and the parents didn't answer Gabby's families' distraught calls or texts.
There's no reason to be rude and unfeeling.
Unless of course there is ?
Imo.

He has done things abusers typically do, such as isolating his victim from friends - according to a FL friend.

Plus, many abusers are very passive/aggressive, the gas-lighting types. Emotional and mental abusers try to always make it look like the victim is the crazy, unstable one. The harm done is long lasting and are sometimes
Thanks for the timeline! Very much appreciated!

But I’m a bit confused about this part of the time-line:

“GP and BL were at the Moonflower 9am - 2p”

“12 August, 2021: afternoon, separated by PD. Video 2.”

Same day. But the time stamp on the body-cam during the video says 12:45pm .

Can someone clarify this for me?

it seems they’d want the time on the cam to be accurate.
TIA
After I posted the above, I read that the police stop was at around 4pm - that makes sense!

I hadn’t thought about that - that he’d never been there/was already in hiding. The fact his parents were already prepared to hand LE a scripted statement invoking his silence and that his parents were not returning or answering phone calls from GP’s parents even before she was reported missing also adds to your premise that he already ghosted himself IMO.

I keep hearing about BL flying home and then returning to their campsite. I looked for it in past posts but don’t know what’s all about. Can anyone shine some light on this?

Also where did BL get close to $10,000? How do we know about it?

TYI
If you are referring to @NuttMegg's post #845, that is purely speculation. The assumption was that because high dollar transactions are flagged by a bank, that staying under the federal limit would eliminate suspicion.

WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #10

It blows my mind. My son in a very sensitive situation goes hiking for the day. However, I am not too concerned when he doesn’t come home that night. I don’t become concerned for 2 days. Oh, and I decide to just drive the car on home for him.

It would be super helpful if we knew his typical behaviour in a stressful situation. Did he sometimes take off for a few days? Then come back a day or two later, more subdued, with his tail between his legs.

This could be something that sparked his parents concern. Because I am not seeing why they bothered to reveal he is missing at all, if they are not concerned for his life.

I would imagine that the police know. It is just that we don't know.

Questions:
burner phones are not traceable, is that correct?
would it be legal for authorities to place bugs in the Laundries home under these circumstances?
"Burner phones" are traceable. The reason they can be hard to trace is due to not having to register the service in a verified name.
If LE has the number of the phone and that phone is switched on, or active, it can be traced.

If you went to the gas station, bought a pre-paid phone, made one call/text and threw it off a bridge- there was no previous history with the phone, so tracing would be inconsequential.

Do we know how he got to the park to hike on Tuesday? If he drove the family's silver car, it is now back in the driveway. Is there another car out there or did he take a bus or taxi to the park on Tuesday?
From what I could gather, HE drove the Mustang to the park, and when he did not return from his “hike,” his parents went to the park, found the car & drove it home. As others have commented, why did they bring the car back if they knew they’d be stranding him alone in the park? Also, why wait several days then, before reporting him missing. Totally odd behavior IMO. MOO

With regards to point one, I have not been able to find anything sourced that shows anyone other than his parents having physically seen him since he’s returned.

Point 2: it’s possible, but the absence of Gabby on social media or contact with her parents wouldn’t fit, if she were alive during that time. JMO

The other thing is the back neighbor who gave access to the reporter stated he didn't know if Brian had been there.

The back yards are joined only by a wood fence and some foliage. You think that the Laundries would go stir crazy being cooped in the house since the 1st of Sept, and would go out into their backyard at least.

Nothing heard by the neighbor....activity, voices etc.

However, I don't know how deep the neighbor's yard is, didn't really show, and whether the neighbor was outside regularly himself though.

I've been watching the videos this young couple posted throughout their journey. They both look so happy. It's so sad what has happened. I truly do not understand BL's parents. God bless Gabby and her family.

North Port Police release statement on Saturday's search for Brian Laundrie at Carlton Reserve

"As a national search for Gabby Petito (22) continues, the search for Brian Laundrie (23) continues in North Port. Saturday, North Port Police, along with the FBI and other nearby agency partners searched the Carlton Reserve area to the North of the City of North Port," North Port Police Public Information Officer Josh Taylor said in a statement to Fox News.

"Roughly 25,000 acres. Brian’s parents have reported to us that he was last seen Tuesday when he went for a hike there," the statement continued. "They reported him missing three days later. The North Port Police Department and the FBI are working to corroborate the story."

Taylor added that it is "important to note that while Brian is a person of interest in Gabby’s disappearance, he is not wanted for a crime. We are not currently working a crime investigation. We are now working multiple missing person investigations."

Taylor also said that a ground search is being conducted in parts of Wyoming by investigators in an attempt to locate Gabby Petito.

The search at Carlton Reserve is done for the day due to darkness.

Gabby Petito: Police searching for her fiancé, family says he's been missing for days: LIVE UPDATES
Don't you think this search for BL is for an arrest? That they must have enough info to make an arrest on some ground or suspicion of broken law?

My time table has him leaving morning of 30th with 3 full days of driving to be there 9/1...its doable for a 23 year old.
since BL was trying to get to the van on the 29th.... your guess is spot on...sometime the PM night of the 29th to the 30th... the van on the 25th at Jenny Lake make me feel she was there or north of there after the 25th to the 29th. if he had the back country permit its appeared they could have parked overnight at Jenny lake parking lot also. So between Jenny Lake and Spread creek should be checked and up to colter Bay... how far could they venture on foot together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy