Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of misinformation out there and there are many carve-outs that allow therapists to disclose this sort of information. For example, if someone is dangerous (as someone who has just impulsively murdered a girlfriend might be deemed), then they may disclose it. If there was a chance he would be a danger to himself (the danger of which is high in this situation), then they must disclose it. There is a lot of gray area and room for interpretation, but in practice, I don't know many therapists who would not find a compelling reason not to report in this situation, and I know, and have trained, lots of therapists.
Maybe I'm mis interpreting, but are you saying a person goes from anxiety to murder overnight? One person has said that she had problems with BL'S jealousy. One person who also said GP had no friends and they met on a friendship seeking site. If this is the case then No one is safe!

Slightly off topic....

I haven't checked BL's Instagram but I find the comments re: his interest in Fight Club (book? movie? both?) baffling.

I have read the book and seen the movie. Imo, central themes of both are being anti-establishment and actually taking the time to enjoy life because the regular "American dream" (job/house/etc.) is a bill of goods sold to the unsuspecting. In that respect, it feels like the mindset would be congruent with the vanlife/travel/explore attitude.

Are those who are bringing it up using it as a way to point to BL as a nefarious person? If so, that's widely missing the mark, I think. (He may indeed be -- or not -- a nefarious person but I think his interest in Fight Club has no bearing on assessing that.)

Here's a review that sums up a lot of my same thoughts.
Everyone Misunderstands the Point of Fight Club
The analysis ends with: "The real lesson, regardless, isn’t about how to be a hypermasculine bro or Übermensch hero. It’s that the world doesn’t owe you s@^!. So stop listening to gods, fathers, and advertising agencies; be yourself, and you’ll be free. F*%# the rules."
[Note: Profanity edited by me.]

Just my two cents because I have seen a few mentions and it seems entirely irrelevant to the missing person's case as well as irrelevant in assessing BL's character.

MOO

I don't think it's very relevant to the case at this point but i wanted to clear it up since it keeps being mentioned. I am a licensed therapist and heres some general info about reporting crimes in the profession:
1. We cannot report a murder
2. We cannot report any nonviolent or nonabusive crimes (future or past)
2. We cannot report any harm that has already happened unless it was child/elder abuse (i.e., cannot report domestic violence between adults)
3. We cannot disclose any info about a patient, even after they die, unless court ordered
4. We MUST report any threat of future harm against anyone (there are some specifications that need to be met)
5. LE often request for our cooperation anyway b/c they are not aware of the laws and codes that limit what we can say
6. These rules often exist b/c of state laws, but even if a state law differs, there are national ethical codes that are the same for everyone
7. And finally, to head off some confusion - these rules are specific to therapists and psychologists - MD's (including psychiatrists) may have different rules, i wouldnt really know

Hope this helps either in this case or in others!

This is the first I've read of this employment. I'm surprised that her parents didn't mention it.

I had read she worked at Publix and as a juicer working for his parents juicing business. And she claimed to be a nutritionist, but had no formal training or license as such.

I wonder if this is the right person.
I don't know where this came from but you usually can't do anything in a pharmacy aside from working the cash register unless you are a pharmacist obviously or, you are in school. Pharmacy work can literally be a matter of life or death. One mistake and you could kill someone. So, I'd be surprised if she was a pharmacy "tech" who was actually filling scripts. Not sure letting her do it would even be legal in Fla. And, if it is and they allowed it, they took on huge risk.

I hope the FBI has swabbed the rear door handle of Miranda Baker's Jeep -- with the clothes belonging to BL that LE took for the search in the Reserve, they may now have his DNA, and even if they don't, they might soon, and could then confirm whether or not it was actually BL they gave a ride to. MOO
Yeah, I wondered if LE could find any of his hairs on the seats or floors. Hopefully!

I'm not persuaded that he had a tarp on him at all, If he did, he probably grabbed it when fleeing a crime scene in a panic, because it sure wasn't appropriate for what he said he was using it for.

There are probably 100's of campers sleeping under a tarp tonight. Its a popular lightweight backpacking shelter choice.

That's what I am thinking. It sounds like he did most of the driving and was the one holding the keys. The fact that she had to climb through the driver's side window because he locked her out is a big red flag and telling of the dynamic of their relationship. I would not be at all surprised if he had threatened to leave without her. He comes off as controlling, callous and dismissive of her feelings. She said he told her he didn't believe in her when it came to building a van life website and social media following. She obviously invested a lot of time, thought and energy into it and he goes along but then makes her feel bad and insecure and like her dream is unrealistic after what ... a couple of months?

Yeah, I didn't much care for that statement on his part either.

I mean, anyone knows that you have to throw your heart over the fence, as the equestrians say, if you have any hope of making it as an influencer, etc.

You can set a timeline with goals and say "If X hasn't happened by Y date, I will take such-and-such action and/or consider throwing in the towel", and indeed should; but you can't half-*advertiser censored* it from the start, because that's almost a guarantee of failure.

There is a lot of misinformation out there and there are many carve-outs that allow therapists to disclose this sort of information. For example, if someone is dangerous (as someone who has just impulsively murdered a girlfriend might be deemed), then they may disclose it. If there was a chance he would be a danger to himself (the danger of which is high in this situation), then they must disclose it. There is a lot of gray area and room for interpretation, but in practice, I don't know many therapists who would not find a compelling reason not to report in this situation, and I know, and have trained, lots of therapists.

I'm glad to hear this. Many years ago, there was a UC, Berkeley therapist who didn't warn the potential victim that her ex had thoughts of killing her. The therapist was forbidden by superiors from reporting this to either LE or the victim. He killed her and his parents sued. That cracked the issue open - but not all therapists have gotten the word.
I have no doubt she is genuine, and not an attention seeker.

I thought she seemed stressed, having found herself in a situation with a grave responsibility. It seemed like she was trying to do a good job in a very difficult situation.

It could also be something like BPD or bipolar that is controlled with medication and therapy, but BL could have gone off it, etc. The parents could have been prepared because stuff like this has happened before. I have a close family member who is severely mentally ill and every time something "happens" it's almost like we expect it because it's happened similarly so many times before and many times, these behavior patterns have gone back to childhood even though at the time we didn't realize that that's what was going on and this was prior to substances, intimate relationships, etc. being involved.
His most recent upload to Pinterest was a zine called Autistic Burnout. Maybe he just liked the design or maybe he was researching it. https://www.pinterest.com/blaundrie1197/
When I looked up that term it says, "People suffering from autistic burnout often feel: Increased frustration; More frequent emotional outbursts; Chronic fatigue or exhaustion." A lot of speculation, but isn't this all just...

There are probably 100's of campers sleeping under a tarp tonight. Its a popular lightweight backpacking shelter choice.
It's also one of those choices that makes camping more affordable. Definitely not unusual to have at all as your only form of shelter, especially if you are interested in primitive camping.

What about the TiKTok man that says he saw BL at Bullwinkles right near the West gate of Yellowstone on August 26th at 10pm by himself? He seems legit and could be BL. I mean maybe they did have a fight and he took off on his own. It seems to me like BL is a "runner" and by runner I mean he takes off when things get under pressure or too stressed. He said he tried to remove himself from the situation in the video where he was pulled over by the cops. Maybe Gabby tried to paint their relationship with her parents as more rosy than it really was. According to his sister's interview it's common that they have these fights.

I read this and have been looking for this! I put this in my timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam