Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to me like the van is parked on a right of way beside the main road not at a campsite.

As others have said, dispersed camping. That is the advantage of van camping. The Class A in the video couldn't find a place to park, in that area. The van can just slip into a wide spot on the side of the road. It could fit into a normal parking spot at Walmart, or park on the curb in your neighborhood and get a nights sleep before moving on in the morning.

Did the lawyer tell him to disappear, as well?

I can only speak for myself but I have never lost a client. I am actually concerned about the competence of his lawyer since his lawyer is not admitted to practice law in Florida and he practices REAL ESTATE in New York. So I don't know why he feels competent to advise a client in a jurisdiction in which he is not admitted in such a serious case involving a missing person. In much less serious matters I have recommended and facilitated a client hiring a local attorney who can help on the day-to-day issues in jurisdictions where I wasn't admitted or in cases outside of my core practice areas.

Being investigated for a potential homicide is not the time to cheap out and call a family friend. And it's borderline unethical for the attorney IMO.

I think she's somewhere between Victor and Yellowstone on the West side or that's where things went horribly wrong. Maybe they were headed for Yellowstone and they got in a fight and he left Gabby. <modsnip> She was last seen on the 25th or 26th by a store owner in Victor, Wyoming. I think he hung in that area back and forth between the Teton area and Yellowstone. I think accidentally texted no cell service in Yosemite on accident on the 29th and meant Yellowstone stone. That way it would set off no alarms when she was supposed to call her friend on the 29th for her birthday.

Last edited by a moderator:
He also said he didn't have a cell phone to the Moab cop, but he did. But whether or not he had a sleeping bag isn't really important. He was there to be picked up by the tiktoker and the van wasn't so he got there somehow by walking, most likely. I think he was wandering lost in the wilderness after stashing her body and ended up 10 miles from their camp site.

I like this theory.

Good morning, everyone!

Here is a map of the 43.775742, -110.498433 location and the road name is "30290 forest rd"
Google Maps
So could this explain his freak out in the hitchhiking story, if he thought they were taking him down 191 near the campsite and they went the other way to Jackson, he wanted out as soon as possible so he could get going the right way?

We can't discount the fact that she also may have been looking to take a break from living
within the Laundrie household. Can't imagine what that would be like. JMO

It did cross my mind, they wanted the freedom to be young adults not live in their parent's house.
Maybe his parents weren't as accepting of them as they portrayed.
Hopefully, it will eventually all come out.

I would park there too... That's just kind of how it works on the road when you're on a budget, sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Is there any evidence they pitched a tent at other camp sites? I am wondering why people keep asking where the tent is when these people have a van to camp in...

Yes, in the Youtube video of their travels they shot some scenes in their tent.

I have only seen the van interior. Do the back doors open to an area where gear/food are stored? Would you leave your sandals there if you were opening the back to get your boots or other clothing?
Yes, we have a travel trailer. I leave my flip flops outside all the time so I dont drag unnecessary dirt in. But if there's a book set outside I'm thinking there was a discussion of hey lets take a quick walk around. Just leave the book outside. We wont be gone long.

I would park there too... That's just kind of how it works on the road when you're on a budget, sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Is there any evidence they pitched a tent at other camp sites? I am wondering why people keep asking where the tent is when these people have a van to camp in...

There’s not enough room to sleep in the back of the van, the way they have it set up, IMO, and their one Youtube video shows that they sleep in the tent at least some, if not all, of the time.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself but I have never lost a client. I am actually concerned about the competence of his lawyer since his lawyer is not admitted to practice law in Florida and he practices REAL ESTATE in New York. So I don't know why he feels competent to advise a client in a jurisdiction in which he is not admitted in such a serious case involving a missing person. In much less serious matters I have recommended and facilitated a client hiring a local attorney who can help on the day-to-day issues in jurisdictions where I wasn't admitted or in cases outside of my core practice areas.

Being investigated for a potential homicide is not the time to cheap out and call a family friend. And it's borderline unethical for the attorney IMO.
That is good info. I had presumed that BL had gotten a decent lawyer. It is possible this guy gave advice off the cuff just going by the general rule of thumb of “say nothing”.
He likely thought this was just the usual young couple break up that would resolve itself without more than in family drama. That GP has not shown up has escalated this into a possible tragedy, and crime. She is likely in danger. Also social media is as hot as anything I’ve ever seen and the lawyer likely did not foresee this.

Why would Info as to where BL last knew she was and last contact date not have somehow been given to LE?

I wouldn't be parked there for fear of being towed or warned to move. It doesn't look like a campsite. I think one or both of them must be nearby. Leaving personal items beside the road while going hiking seems odd to me. But I've never camped in that area, so my thoughts are just based on the video and still shots of it. At Texas parks, parking on a ROW is not done at all or for long since it contributes to overuse and environmental issues.
JMO
Maybe he was in a frantic wicked hurry when he parked at that unlikely spot. For some reason.

Could not agree with you more - our lawyers never advise outside of their practice area. Maybe the first statement was ok but as soon as he saw this case turn - and most definitely by Friday when parents called LE- he should have told them to hire a FL bar certified attorney
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members