Mexico - Arlington TX Firefighter Elijah Snow, wed anniversary found dead at Cancun resort, Jul 2021

There's a lot that seems to be purposeful misinformation in this case, and maybe that's why it's not getting the attention of authorities. I would think our consulate or state department would be investigating if what the widow is saying were true.

They have the tox tests, and it indicates alcohol. What was his BAL? She states he had margaritas (I think 3) during the afternoon after they arrived, and a beer with dinner, and a drink afterwards in the bar when they parted ways. Did he continue to drink, making his BAL indicative that he had gone off with staff or others after the bar closed at 11? Was he drunk enough to have passed out as he tried to exit the bathroom window off the employee kitchen in the next door resort?

Thousands of people continue to visit these same places to this very day. They, too, make friends withI strangers, party hardy and come away with wonderful memories. Choosing a physically fit fireman as a victim, no matter how alcoholically impaired he might have been, seems unlikely, in my opinion. Without proof, I think it is wrong to accuse faceless staff of the resorts, which make their living off tourist dollars, of murder or complicity with a murder. Feelings are not evidence. There is no evidence of a crime.
There were security cameras everywhere. Yet, the resorts claimed that there wasn't any footage available. That doesn't sound innocent to me.

He may have been jumped on the beach as a crime of opportunity. You can't tell how physically fit a lone, drunk guy is in the middle of the night.

He is bruised from the top of his head to his feet. IMO, there had to be more than one attacker. People familiar with that resort had to know that a tiny window was behind the plywood covering and had to have something to remove it.

In fact, a crowbar could have been what caused the damage to his forehead and his back and then be used to pry that board off of that small window.

There is no way that I believe that he did this to himself.

JMO.

There were security cameras everywhere. Yet, the resorts claimed that there wasn't any footage available. That doesn't sound innocent to me.

He may have been jumped on the beach as a crime of opportunity. You can't tell how physically fit a lone, drunk guy is in the middle of the night.

He is bruised from the top of his head to his feet. IMO, there had to be more than one attacker. People familiar with that resort had to know that a tiny window was behind the plywood covering and had to have something to remove it.

In fact, a crowbar could have been what caused the damage to his forehead and his back and then be used to pry that board off of that small window.

JMO.
ITA. Even more so now, as just watched the Dr Phil episode. I made some notes.

Would had to have had something like a crow bar to pry wood off window.
Authorities said he was trying to exit the window.
His hands were touching the ground.
He had black dirt on his face covering his mouth and nose.
Resort claimed no surveillance videos of him.
She took photos of all the cameras, that numerous.
The injury on his forehead was indentation.
Photos of his DL and CCs were put on the media( social media?) and she became afraid for her life.
Wallet returned with CCs, 100$ cash missing.
Just to view photos of his body she had to pay 100 $ per photo .
Had to also give attorney money to bribe authorities for any information .

Also, according to pathologist and author Dr. Judy Melinek, who examined the photos states his body does have signs of violence. “If the chest and abdominal compression from the window doesn't match up with the bruises on the legs or the injury on the head, then we need another explanation for those injuries,” Melinek said.

An observation: Zoomed in photo of his head shows makeup on his forehead. Why? Trying to cover up injuries?

JMO.
Agreed. All of it. IMO

Another week? Well, what was the problem with that? Another week, another two weeks, another month....it doesn't really matter. You wait and play the game. He's going to be a long time dead, there's no hurry, so you may as well wait and get all the professionals in, if it helps you get nearer the truth.

If you want to get nearer the cause and want another opinion, then wait. What was the big rush to get him back and cremated so quickly? It was all done at a frightening speed.

I can understand she didn't want to stay in Mexico any longer than she needed to, but she could've gone home. Or even flown back out when she was needed. It's not far. Just a few hours.

I can't fathom why he was cremated when, right away, his family:

~thought his death was suspicious;
~Believed the COD ruling was incorrect;
~Felt the matter wasn't being handled appropriately by authorities.
~Had enough suspicion, wisdom, and sense to get [edit] pictures of his body. Even through their grief.

This case has pulled on my heart. This man, this firefighter, husband, father, so young, so loved, and a hero.

It's SO frustrating that he was cremated. It reduces the likelihood of finding the truth and getting justice for him and his family. I can't imagine how deeply they feel regret, and in addition to their grief. God Bless them.

Last edited:
Why? Why would he try to attempt that most awkward movement ever? I can’t even imagine trying to do something so strange. Especially if he was as inebriated as has been claimed. And his chest didn’t appear stuck to me at all.There was open area above him in the window opening. None of this makes sense, IMO. I. Don’t. Buy it.

The only cause I can think of for him doing this on his own would be if he drank so much that he was having alcohol-induced hallucinations.

Yes people do crazy things when they're drunk but this is too weird and too extreme for someone who is just plain ol' drunk. I believe it would have to be more than that.

It was an adult resort with provocative women all around. She chose this place for them to go to and seemed gung-ho for the activities offered. How can you admit that you and your husband were going to Mexico to possibly “swing” on your tenth anniversary and you left him drunk with some people he was probably sexually interested in? I bet there’s a lot we will never know. MOO

Whaaat? Is this true? I hadn't heard this about that resort or their intentions.

This is an informative article with intriguing information.

These are quotes from the article that stood out or confused me. My thoughts are in the [ ]

(1) "Back in Texas, she said, she and other family members did their own examination of his body."

[This phrasing sounds as if he wasn't cremated. However, his stepfather confirmed he was. Maybe they're referring to photographs.]

(2) "She wanted to go out on excursions during their visits, but Elijah Snow always said they needed to stay at the resort, where he felt safe. “He was the cautious one,” she told McGraw on the show."

[IMO this makes it unlikely he would venture out very far, engaging in nutty behavior and actions.]

(3) "Elijah Snow died at a hotel in Benito Juárez that is about 10 miles from the hotel where he and his wife were guests, according to a report from the attorney general’s office for that region. Jamie Snow said she can’t think of any reason he would have been off their resort’s property, much less so far away."

[So there still seems to be confusion about where this other resort is located?]

(4) "Jamie Snow said she retired to bed but Elijah Snow stayed in the lobby for another drink. Being up late was a normal thing for her husband, Jamie Snow said. He lived on a firefighter’s schedule....."

[IMO this is believable and understandable.]

(5) "Originally, she said, police told her the cause of death would be listed as a homicide with no suspects."

[Um, what? Wow.]

(6) "[He] was the son of Ronnie Snow, an Arlington firefighter who died in 1985 during a training accident, according to Arlington fire officials."

[Because there wasn't enough heartbreaking tragedy in this case.]

Last edited:
(Sorry so long). I think this case is just going around in circles because we don't have any new information.

A few thoughts, MOO of course. First, the news articles often repeat things from the other new outlets, including earlier misinformation. The resort window frame that the deceased firefighter was supposedly found in was at the resort next store to the one he was staying at, not ten miles away as stated in an early report. Yet it continues to be stated incorrectly in some newer articles. If anyone wanted to, they could look the resorts up and verify that part of it (I did).

Also, most of the information we've been given has been second or third hand. And, when you think about it, nearly every person who is telling us what someone else said or what someone else did here could have a logical reason to lie. I'm not saying anyone did lie but I think it's worth noting that agendas differ, and when the cause of death is in question, no statement is automatically beyond any doubt.

For ex., as has been mentioned several times on here, though there's no evidence of it, there could always be something the family didn't want to be made public, whether out of respect for the deceased or etc.

The decision makers at the resort/s likely (imo) aren't giving out any more information than they have to because they've determined it's better for their bottom line not to. It's also possible that the cameras aren't working and are more to provide tourists with a feeling of safety than actually provide surveillance. If so, they likely wouldn't want that to be known. Finally, we've been told from the family, not the resort managers themselves (I think?), that the resorts refused to hand over the surveillance tapes etc. The same applies to what we've been told secondhand went on at the morgue, and to whatever the Mexican lawyer told the family (which would make what reached us thirdhand news), and more.

There's also been a lot of talk about how this, that and the other couldn't have happened because the deceased was in good physical shape and a firefighter. But of course that didn't make him super-human and doesn't rule out blind-drunk poor decision making, being attacked, or etc.

I am close to a firefighter who said while he probably knew a little more about windows than the average person, they do not have extensive training about windows and don't go in and out of them all that frequently. It's also possible that Mexican window frame construction isn't exactly like the ones we're used to here. Him being a firefighter doesn't mean he could not have gotten stuck in a window frame with no place to get a hold of and eventually suffocated from compression, especially if he was intoxicated. There have been other reports of this happening so while it's uncommon, it's definitely possible.

The condition of the body is another thing. Pooled blood after death can look like bruising. And here we have the possibility of drunken injuries, scuffles or attack earlier in the night, and if they were related to his death. And possibly the effects of thinned blood from alcohol as another factor. Plus (if the story is true) him being stuck in the window frame, desperately trying to get a grip on something against a solid wall. Then, blood pooling after death in that hanging position, whatever was done to the body to get him out of the window and to the morgue, investigation and treatment on the body there, further blood pooling in his body position at the morgue, and probably other factors as well. Expert examination and testing would have to be done to decipher all this beyond speculation. But the body was cremated instead.

Hopefully, publicity from the Dr. Phil show will prompt someone to come forward or some authority or other to delve into this further. Otherwise, imo we're left with more questions than answers.

Last edited:
Release the blood alcohol level...I'm a retired FF after 25 yrs of service & RN in a level 1 trauma center...the BAC is all you need to tell you what most likely happened here & I guarantee you, even in Mexico, they DEFINITELY got one. The fact that it hasn't been released says a lot! I'm quite sure if it wasn't very high it would be released, because a low level would support the homicide theory 100%, not releasing it speaks volumes. Regardless, it's a very, sad & tragic outcome.

Release the blood alcohol level...I'm a retired FF after 25 yrs of service & RN in a level 1 trauma center...the BAC is all you need to tell you what most likely happened here & I guarantee you, even in Mexico, they DEFINITELY got one. The fact that it hasn't been released says a lot! I'm quite sure if it wasn't very high it would be released, because a low level would support the homicide theory 100%, not releasing it speaks volumes. Regardless, it's a very, sad & tragic outcome.

Excellent point!! High BAC wouldn't support the current narrative being pushed.

Was it stated anywhere if they tested for the BAC or not? I don't remember now. If the morgue charged the wife for photos then they don't seem to be operating under the protocols we'd expect.

And if they did test his BAC, did they refuse to release the results or did they release the results to the wife though not to the public?

As an aside, I did an internet search on "BAC after death" and apparently it can be quite inaccurate for various reasons. Just a possible FYI there; I'm not a medical person.

Last edited:
Was it stated anywhere if they tested for the BAC or not? I don't remember now. But if the morgue charged the wife for photos then they don't seem to be operating under the protocols we'd expect.

And if they did test his BAC, did they refuse to release the results or did they release the results to the wife though not to the public? I don't recall if the wife mentioned it.

As an aside, I did an internet search on "BAC after death" and apparently it can be quite inaccurate for various reasons. Just a possible FYI there; I'm not a medical person.
They did a toxicology, and it only showed there was alcohol, but no drugs, per Dr. Phil interview with wife. Nothing mentioned about BAC level though.
I agree the authorities there weren’t operating under expected protocol. Charging her 100 bucks per photo, etc. Just awful the way they treated her, and reeks of a cover up, IMO.

I missed the Dr Phil show...did the wife explain why the cremated him?

The wife's decision to have the body cremated right away in Mexico wasn't mentioned on the show. Neither was the argument the deceased and the wife allegedly got into before he headed back to the bar alone.
Perhaps the argument was, she was tired and wanted to go to the room and turn in, and he didn’t. As she pointed out, he was used to a firefighter’s schedule.

Thousands of people continue to visit these same places to this very day. They, too, make friends with strangers, party hardy and come away with wonderful memories. Choosing a physically fit fireman as a victim, no matter how alcoholically impaired he might have been, seems unlikely, in my opinion. Without proof, I think it is wrong to accuse faceless staff of the resorts, which make their living off tourist dollars, of murder or complicity with a murder. Feelings are not evidence. There is no evidence of a crime.

A stranger wouldn't have known he was a "physically fit firefighter." I don't think he even looked all THAT physically fit.....no slouch, sure, but he didn't appear to me to have "zero body fat" like the wife said.

A stranger wouldn't have known he was a "physically fit firefighter." I don't think he even looked all THAT physically fit.....no slouch, sure, but he didn't appear to me to have "zero body fat" like the wife said.
They especially wouldn’t care if there was more than one of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back