Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I've said that in my previous posts that those style cases can be used for anything. Could it be used to store a gun? Sure but it's definitely not a gun case and if your storing one pistol, there's much cheaper options than something that size. That case is wider/longer than the cases I use to transport multiple pistols when going to the range.

Them wearing vests doesnt mean that to me. Pretty much every cop I've run into wears one regardless, especially uniformed officers.

I literally posted a link to a gun case for a 9mm sig that looks exactly like the case they had. It is definitely sold as a gun case, however I suppose someone could also use it for a drone.

I think that's a tree giving the illusion.

The campsite seems crappy to me, right beside the road, seems like a bush close on the other side, no room for their tent.

But if it's all you can find, IMO you can't keep shutting yourself inside whenever someone goes by.

Also it was potentially only for one person to sleep in/near, by that point.

I think Gabby is in WY. Brian was already pulled over once and questioned by the cops in Utah. Would he risk driving from WY to FL with a body in the car? If he gets pulled over, he's toast. There's no explaining a body in your van.
Not to mention if there had been a body in the van we would’ve known after LE ceased it. If they had found anything in that van to insinuate a body has been in there Brian would’ve been a suspect.

i think so, too. I also think the couple would have seen the door close as they were driving but mention it didn’t seem like anybody was there. I think shadows might be playing tricks on us but i can see how it looks like the door closes.

It's interesting. It's blurry, but I see what people are talking about. If the door was open, the camera can certainly see things before people notice.

I’ve been trying to keep up with the threads but it’s difficult, so I apologise if this has been brought up before.

But am I the only one that sees someone (BL) sitting at the drivers seat in the video from that other youtube couple?

I slowed down the video to x0.25 speed and watched it with the highest resolution possible. I made a screenshot and quickly added some exposure with my phone (you can edit pics on iphone). It’s hard to see because the inside of the van is dark and there’s some reflection, but it looks like BL sitting at the wheel alone.

ETA: is that gabby’s face in the bottom left corner of the passengers window?!

MOO

I don't see any people or faces there. I see a driver side mirror and trees/shadows through a window. Watching the video, you can see this couples van reflection first on the windshield, then on the side windows.

This cannot be direct quoted because it is on the previous thread that is now locked. But, I believe it is important enough to address so there is no confusion.
"Alethea -I can only speak for myself but I have never lost a client. I am actually concerned about the competence of his lawyer since his lawyer is not admitted to practice law in Florida and he practices REAL ESTATE in New York. So I don't know why he feels competent to advise a client in a jurisdiction in which he is not admitted in such a serious case involving a missing person. In much less serious matters I have recommended and facilitated a client hiring a local attorney who can help on the day-to-day issues in jurisdictions where I wasn't admitted or in cases outside of my core practice areas. Being investigated for a potential homicide is not the time to cheap out and call a family friend. And it's borderline unethical for the attorney IMO."

I respectfully disagree with this. While it is true that the attorney who made the statement appears to be from NY, his website clearly indicates that he is a general practitioner who yes, does criminal work. To the magnitude of what BL got himself into? Does not appear so. But he still does have experience in some criminal matters. In a crisis (for them) they called a trusted advisor (not cheap out), and I don't see anything particularly bizarre about this. Their atty friend would be in a position best suited through his contacts to find them local counsel. With respect to not being admitted in Florida, this appears to be correct. But, we're actually dealing with Federal law here too - law I know he needed to know or he wouldn’t have passed the bar.

As far as multiple admissions go, some attys are licensed to practice in multiple jurisdictions while others are not. The Florida/New York relationship presents a unique obstacle that is not widely known, unless you are an attorney seeking to be admitted in both states at the same time over a 3-day testing span. Because of the transient nature between the states, Florida and NY each make it much more (procedurally) complicated for someone to take both bars within the same time period. 1. The exams are intentionally given on the same day (or at least they were 30 years ago) forcing attys to choose which bar to sit for. If you choose NY, you have to wait for the next Fla exam date to go back and sit for it - a pain not worth it unless you actually plan to live there. 2. There is no reciprocity between the states as there is with some others, that allows for an attorney to waive-in after 5, 10, etc. years of practice in good standing. Additionally, people should know that attorneys appear in court out of state all the time through a process known as pro hac vice admission. So, the beat down on this guy isn't exactly accurate and it kind of loses the focus of the thread, imo.

oviedo - "Could not agree with you more - our lawyers never advise outside of their practice area. Maybe the first statement was ok but as soon as he saw this case turn - and most definitely by Friday when parents called LE- he should have told them to hire a FL bar certified attorney. JMO"

This last part I certainly agree with. I fully expected him to have someone else onboard if not completely taking over by the middle of last week.

Lastly, it had always been feeling/opinion/whatever you want to call it, that his attorney’s direction to him to keep his mouth shut was strategic more than it was self-preservation. His attorney was told what happened and realized his client’s best bet was to wait for LE to go for days with no solid leads hoping they’d then come to him with a deal for her location (MOO). For as unappealing as this sounds, I still think this is where his head was. He has a duty to zealously defend his client.

That said, he still should have handed this off by mid-week because logic dictates that leaving BL sitting for days stewing with the “I’m going to prison. It doesn’t matter how short or long. I’m going and my life is over.” certainly feeds into the decision to flee.

We don’t learn more than a skeleton of federal law in law school. And the bar exam isn’t really about knowing specific laws. You learn that and focus on a practice area after the bar- in the real world.

I do not do federal law because it’s not my area. I have done some stuff federally, over my career, for lawyers I’ve worked with, but I’m not competent in the practice of federal law. There are so many ins and outs to a practice area that you should be well versed in, to be truly competent. That comes from a lot of study, training and learning from others.

Just being a lawyer doesn’t make someone have contacts in all states either. Although I’m sure between New York and Florida there is much more connection and networking.

Bottom line is these people should have gotten someone local whose focus is on criminal defense. And they should have been advised to do so immediately.

I think that's a tree giving the illusion.

The campsite seems crappy to me, right beside the road, seems like a bush close on the other side, no room for their tent.

But if it's all you can find, IMO you can't keep shutting yourself inside whenever someone goes by.

AND, it's between the Highway and the dispersed camping ground, so everyone going to or from the campground is going to pass you. I'd want to be beyond the campground even if meant being on the side of the road opposite the streambed. But is is situated conveniently for some quiet access to the streambed, if you needed to be near something like that...

Thanks for posting. How do the police not know who the car is registered to? That can’t be possible, IMO

I can’t wrap my mind around this one. How do they not know? I assume it isn’t stolen if the parents are picking it up and driving it around. What is the simple explanation to this that I can’t seem to reach at the moment?

If he entered the reserve on Tuesday, the dogs would be able to detect that scent and its trail, which could lead to a deceased or live body. So yes, regular SAR dogs that are not cadaver dogs (tracking, trailing and air scent) can still be of great use while his scent trail would still be essentially fresh, even if he is currently deceased. The moisture will help hold the scent rafts to things like the undersides of leaves and plants.
Will go on record saying JMO, but also I have done SAR k-9 work locally in the desert where I live, albeit looking for lost pets. But during training, we used human scent trails as well.

Very interesting and really good information. I have a German shepherd. She’s extremely intelligent and well trained(in a civilian way lol). But I’ve done some research into how SAR/military/police trained dogs work. Including the shepherds(and other breeds) used on September 12th for the attempted ground zero recovery efforts. Still…..what you wrote is new information to me. Very fascinating and thought provoking.

The cool thing about a drive-by video like the one taken of the van at Spread Creek Campground, is that if you take screen shots of the video several frames apart you get a stereo pair of images. If you're good at doing the cross-eyed thingy, you get a nice 3D effect. I was hoping it would help me figure out what was on top of the book behind the van, but it still eludes me. Oh well.

Could it be a sunglasses case? I'm trying to gauge the size of that book in comparison to the flip flops. Or perhaps a wallet? Is that the wallet Gabby is holding towards the end of the body cam footage?

Has anyone seen this. Her Depop account. It seems she has liked 3 things this week. Can someone tell me how it works? Thanks
Just Gabby's Likes - Depop

Possibly already answered, due to the speed of the thread, but someone tested last week and old “likes” appear as if they’re new when an item listing that someone has previously “liked” gets updated.

This was a reply to Nuttmegs post by that I inadvertently mixed together with my own. lol so reposting. Apologies.

Been looking at this video for a bit now. I was skeptical at first, but it really does appear that the door is open then closes. The peculiar edit is interesting too. Doesn’t seem to be necessary with the fluidity of the filming. Why would the door being opened and closed be something the FBI wouldn’t want released though? Why allow the “edited” video to be released at all than? Confusing.
I do notice one thing,…there’s an awful lot of rocks on the ground that would be easy to hit your head on if one fell.

Very helpful! Thank you!

If he entered the reserve on Tuesday, the dogs would be able to detect that scent and its trail, which could lead to a deceased or live body. So yes, regular SAR dogs that are not cadaver dogs (tracking, trailing and air scent) can still be of great use while his scent trail would still be essentially fresh, even if he is currently deceased. The moisture will help hold the scent rafts to things like the undersides of leaves and plants.
Will go on record saying JMO, but also I have done SAR k-9 work locally in the desert where I live, albeit looking for lost pets. But during training, we used human scent trails as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater