Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be gentle with new posters who are asking questions that may have been previously discussed. Not everyone has followed this case as closely as others. If you are not interested in revisiting, scroll on by!

If we scare away new people we'll be stuck with what we have and I think the ignore lists are getting pretty long o_O

Totally feeling this. With all we now know about violence against women, police need to be better educated and equipped for dealing with these situations.
She was sobbing - offer counselling. He put a mark on her face - ask questions. He had a history of coercive control. So many red flags.
Yes she put marks on him too but there was such an imbalance of power, she was not a physical threat to him. Instead SHE was cautioned and they were allowed to continue alone together in a remote setting despite all the warning signs. Two weeks later she’s dead.
Such a preventable tragedy.
I agree, they missed the signs she was clearly sending out.
Lessons, that is what life is all about. Hopefully LE will learn how to better handle situations like this. I’m feeling so heartbroken for her, as I know many of us here feel the same.

I don't recall hearing anything about a grizzly bear being seen around the burial site. Also there was a video taken from a helicopter which showed the location of the body--I saw no indication of any grizzly bear caching anywhere.
Look, could you read my post? I didn't say there was. I answered someone who said that bears bury their food and come back at a later date. I don't want to argue tonight, but I made it clear that I don't know if a bear discovered her, but IMO (which I said 3 times) he disposed of her body in the way most likely to attract bears, in bear country. I am always happy to discuss the actual words that are in my posts.

This is what makes me so sad, this incident would only have convinced Gabby that no one would believe her if she did tell anyone that BL was psychologically torturing her. I think by the point of this incident though, BL had already manipulated Gabby into believing she herself was mentally unstable, LE referring to her as the ‘aggressor’ that day and calling it a domestic violence case would only have solidified her belief that she was a bad person.
All police officers should be trained in identifying the small signals of gaslighting/emotional abuse/ reactive abuse. When they asked BL ‘are you always this hyper?’ That should have been a red flag for someone experiencing duper’s delight because he was manipulating the officers and getting away with it IMO
Your post is both so sad and so true. I strongly believe domestic violence is one of the most difficult aspects of LE to train officers in.

IMO, some type of domestic violence is often involved before the murders of women.

JMO

For all travel / trail apps, it is normal to pick a fake location as home.

Protects from stalkers and other characters.

I have a garmin locator with a public building as home.

So

Ir was my understanding that you set your location when you open the account. Gabby was in Puerto Rico per one of her 2019 Instagram posts. I’ll have to double check. If not…

And IMO, grabbing someone by the face is far more serious than a slap on the arm. I bet that he strangled her.

This is what I think, too-I also think he has strangled her in the past, to; just not to the point of death. I think that’s how he got the facial scratches and the scratches on his hands and arms that the police noticed-he blamed it on Gabby attacking him with her phone. Everyone knows how sharp cellphones can be, right?

"It was a real like slap in the face for him to be in hiding now," says Rose Davis. "Gabby's missing and Brian's hiding and it's totally two different things with that."

"I thought I knew him better," says Davis.

"Love can make you do weird things. Love can cause jealousy and jealousy can cause this rage and I believe they love each other, or at least Gabby loves him and you can see in the bodycam she's holding back. She's holding back on saying what was happening," Davis says.
'It felt like a real slap in the face' - Gabby Petito's best friend says boyfriend Brian Laundrie is hiding, not missing

I have been a victim of domestic abuse and I do not see what others see in this body cam footage. I saw two emotionally charged young adults who had been living with each other in a small space for too long. They both seemed scared and probably a little embarrassed. Someone a few threads back said (paraphrasing) not much could be gleaned from the footage. I tend to agree.

It won't be long before they find Brian. Thankfully, he appears to be dumb as a post. It appears that he killed his girlfriend and then did a horrible job of covering up the crime. He hitched a ride with someone. He let people spot his van in various locations. He did what he did after he was recorded on video having an argument with her. Then he drove home and just acted like everything was cool.
I had this gut feeling they found him earlier today. So either they didn't or they did but given discovering Gabby they are holding it back. I think tomorrow will bring more news.

Hi everyone! Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I am sorry if someone has already posted about this. If they did, I couldn't find it.

RE: Gabby's AllTrails account showing her current location as Puerto Rico

I find this particularly interesting and have a few thoughts I would love to unpack/discuss.

1) From what I understand, AllTrails.com updates your location automatically if it is linked in location settings. Does anyone familiar with the ap know if you can manually adjust this in your profile settings?

2) It says the account was created in May 2021, so it appears this would be Gabby's real account since it was made well before any of this happened / it became a news story. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts/reasons as to why it could be a fake account. It seems extremely unlikely, but I would like to rule out all possibilities if possible.

3) I can't imagine why Brian would bring Gabby's phone to Puerto Rico if that is where he ran off to. Isn't acquiring a burner phone On-The-Run 101? It seems so obvious that this would be a terrible idea and make it incredibly easy to be found. Does anyone else think he and/or his parents somehow got Gabby's phone to PR on it's own as a diversion?

4) I would assume he is keeping tabs on what people are saying about his location online if he has access to the Internet or a phone (particularly because he is a narcissist). If he is in Puerto Rico with Gabby's phone, I would think he would know that people are onto this by now...

Looking forward to diving into this!

Xx
Morgan

I'm not sure Brian is the brightest Crayon in the box.

And IMO, grabbing someone by the face is far more serious than a slap on the arm. I bet that he strangled her.

And you know what else I don't understand? Why didn't the police look all over her body, under her top? Also they did not spend as much time talking with Gabby as they did with BL, except for the female Park Ranger. I do wonder if she will be interviewed?

I'm curious about what time she snapchatted with her friend...because I think it was after that or a while after, that they got in another argument and he killed her and disposed of her.....THEN took off on his "hike" late on the 27th or early on the 28th to colter bay area, cleaned up and returned on the 29th. Probably had moved the van to a campsite before he left so it wouldn't be just off the road...and maybe set up a tent to look like it was occupied.

Have we seen proof of this in the MSM to give us more of a clear timeline?

I imagine that when the autopsy is complete that we will have a clear timeline...if they release that information to the public.

Another long time lurker who can’t resist joining the discussion.

I’m pretty sure that Utah has a mandatory arrest statute for DV and that if there is not a primary aggressor, both will be arrested. Although I agree that he may have been an aggressor, there was not enough evidence to say he was the primary. She said the opposite.

More importantly, in these arrests, there’s usually just a 12 hour hold and then they would both be released. I think Moab LE gave them both a 12 hour hold in a kinder way than giving them a criminal record. And, as both would have been released, it’s highly likely they would have continued on after release in the same way they did here. It is misplaced to say that Moab LE has responsibility in what happened. It’s all on Brian in my opinion.

Even *if* Brian didn’t actively murder her, but left her stranded or injured (or both) isn’t that a blatant disregard for human life? Where does that fit in, 2nd degree murder? Manslaughter? Just curious.

I don’t believe that’s what happened. Just playing along.

The police didn't kill Gabby.

I doubt anybody in heaven or earth could have protected her from him.
She was totally locked into a symbiotic relationship, he was sucking the life force from her, he controlled her absolutely.

He eroded her confidence so much she no longer believed she could continue her blog!

She was fighting for her life and she didn't have the language or resources to hand when she encountered the police.

I thought they showed kindness and good sense to go to the trouble of separating them for the night.
I can quarterback now in the light of what happened but in the actual situation I think they did the best they knew how.
They made a call.
But in the morning she went back to him, admitted him into her van again, the van she had worked her *advertiser censored* of to get to follow her dream. I doubt he contributed a single cent. That breaks my heart.

And she didn't seem strong enough to walk away from him, he had a huge hold on her, controlling everything, her psyche and soma.

She was eroded to a shell.

It's not so easy to recognise unless one has been there.
I have been there.

Just IMO from repeatedly watching the bodycam vids.
I could have been watching myself when I walked in those shoes.

I think it's a sickness of the spirit, not easily remedied at all.

Maybe it’s because Brian’s parents behaved like people who were trying to obstruct justice, by pretending that their son was with them for three days when it is now known, he wasn’t-and that his family apparently helped him leave (going to pick up the mustang on Tuesday, when they knew he would need it if he was going to be coming back home).
If they picked up his car from the reserve last Tuesday or Wednesday as was reported earlier, this alone would have been enough to bring them in.

To speculate that maybe a bear or something grabbed her and killed her, I say that anyone who loved her would have sacrificed their own life to try to save her. Imagine if she were camping with her father instead of Brian and she was attacked by someone or something. You know he’d die trying to rescue her. I measure Brian against that true love.

Snipped and bolded above by me: This is the problem, and what I've been trying to say all along in various places, so thank you for that. This has been the problem all along, IMO:

Whether benign or sinister, motivated by mental illness or not, Brian has never, not for one known moment in the commencement of the world's knowledge, analysis and worry about their actions, displayed unconditional love towards Gabby, IMO.

Nothing Brian has done or said since he and his family "lawyered up", regardless of their legal rights, has in fact indicated the kind of unconditional love a future spouse should have for one another. None of it.

Instead, everything has been the reactive behavior of a wretch looking to save his sorry hide; and for that I absolutely do judge him. He's apparently like every stock horror-movie-character "heel" who turns and runs from his deceased companion/mate because he can't help them any more once the monster has them in their claws; and because his sole issue is self-protection.

JMO, IMO, all the moo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member