Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be so quick to blame B.L's parents.What if they had really tried to get the information from him but he just would not talk about it.You can't force someone to talk.Maybe they tried and tried and just could not get him to talk about it.
T
I would not be so quick to blame B.L's parents.What if they had really tried to get the information from him but he just would not talk about it.You can't force someone to talk.Maybe they tried and tried and just could not get him to talk about it.

You’re right. You can’t force someone to talk. But they fully supported him in this.

They didn’t have to let him stay there, they didn’t have to front his legal fees.

It's not that we are defending Brian; it's more that we are pursuing the truth of what really happened and not allowing ourselves to get lost in the guesswork. There's a keen difference.

And for some of us we are also feeling compassion and concern for everyone involved in this case. This includes Brian.
I have zero compassion for Brian at this point for a few reasons. He left his fiancé behind---for whatever reason, he left her behind and she ended up dead where they had been camping together.

I don't know how it happened---it could have been accident, or a suicide or a murder---by him or someone else---but whatever happened---he left the area and took her van and her wallet and phone. He used her credit card for gas, sent texts to her family pretending to be her, and drove home alone---never contacting her family about her being 'lost' or missing or dead.

I find all or any of the above indefensible. JMO

Family and friends knew gabby and Brian much more then these police officers. Why didn’t they stop anything from happening?

Let me explain why: Because like in most DV cases, it was probably hidden from family and friends. I doubt BL would have abused Gabby in front of anyone.
Abusers like to hide it and gaslight their victims!

To all those who have recognized this relationship for what it was.... its because we've been there.
being in love turns to violence fast and for anyone who wants to simplify it, no, you have not been there and i hope you never do go there.

i hear you all.and I've been there.
he never hit me, but he would have killed me.
it took me recognizing that, escaping it and significant behavioral therapy to rewire my brain from the ptsd constant threat of that.
I thank all of you for pointing it out. It took a lot of internet research for me to really understand what was happening because no one else saw what I saw and fear.

There was my truck involved on camping road trips, and every single bit of this case scares the hell out of me.... I know exactly who BL is.
Her moving to FL with him. Her going on the road with him. Just him, only him. SPEAKS VOLUMNS. No one sees it though. She doesn't see it. She was in love. He doesn't know what it is, because IMO has never had it. But thinks he knows what it is. Possessiveness, control, etc. He's probably never known unconditional love in his life. Pretty obvious now. Where do we begin? The LE that pulled them over...major education needs to take place. Not blaming LE. They couldn't have known because they weren't trained to recognize. Where do we go from here?

I judge them harshly because they did not answer any of Gabby's parents desperate calls. As a parent, I find that indefensible.

I always do everything possible to love and protect my children and grandchildren children. But if one of them placed one of their friends in a dangerous and vulnerable position, and the parents reached out to me for help, I would not ignore their calls.

Their son came home alone, WITH HER VAN, and they did not tell her parents. Weeks went by and they did not give them any info about their missing daughter. I don't need 'the full story' to know that was cold hearted.

Even if they fought she ran off into the woods alone, or he accidentally hurt her or she ran off to another guy's camper---whatever explanation they were given---they had a responsibility, AS HUMAN BEINGS, to share necessary information with her frantic parents. JMO

I am trusting there will be severe legal consequences for their behaviour. I'm not sure where this would get charged, as their obstruction occurred in FL. I think GP's parents have every reason to file a civil suit against BL and his parents enough to permanently remove any thought of a nice retirement they might have had. I guess under FL law you can't seize a domicile in a civil suit, but they can go deep after everything else.

Even *if* Brian didn’t actively murder her, but left her stranded or injured (or both) isn’t that a blatant disregard for human life? Where does that fit in, 2nd degree murder? Manslaughter? Just curious.

I don’t believe that’s what happened. Just playing along.
she was literally a 5 minute walk away from the van (900ft, ~1/5 mile), from the road, and there were TONS of people there... if he left her injured/stranded, someone would've heard her. he had to have killed her.

Well folks and fellow sleuths, I'm gonna depart this thread for now, as the facts will be released on their own - in due time.
The outcome is not what I would have wished for, but reality is harsh and unkind at times. It's a reminder to do your best to stay positive,
enjoy the time we have and not waste it if at all possible.

Until next time!

Another long time lurker who can’t resist joining the discussion.
I’m pretty sure that Utah has a mandatory arrest statute for DV and that if there is not a primary aggressor, both will be arrested. Although I agree that he may have been an aggressor, there was not enough evidence to say he was the primary. She said the opposite.
More importantly, in these arrests, there’s usually just a 12 hour hold and then they would both be released. I think Moab LE gave them both a 12 hour hold in a kinder way than giving them a criminal record. And, as both would have been released, it’s highly likely they would have continued on after release in the same way they did here. It is misplaced to say that Moab LE has responsibility in what happened. It’s all on Brian in my opinion.

I agree that Moab LE doesn't have the responsibility of Gabby's death. Not at all.
I also think it should be a learning example. There were things clearly missed for one, Gabby's claims of injury were COMPLETELY dismissed and a time line for when they occurred was never even close to being established. One officer decided to pin it on Gabby and they just went with that.

Also, it's a prime example of why we need more training. The entire hour long video is a screaming example of reactive abuse for anyone that is trauma / victim informed. (see image for information on reactive abuse) AND even if police had recognized the reactive abuse and given GP support and resources - she still very likely would have continued on with BL.
Abuse cycles are addictive and breaking out isn't easy.

Attachments

• 242476869_10219186097658457_5269852110654214015_n.jpg
    242476869_10219186097658457_5269852110654214015_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Do we know why this reporter is watching the house? Is there an expectation that the Laundrie's are there? I suspect they've left as well (just my opinion).
No clue I'm afraid. They've put up tape around the house. I can't think of any other reason MSM has gone live outside their home.

Did the video of the van parked where they found her body come out before BL supposedly took off or after he took off?

I have a lot of respect for the posters who do not rush to judgment. We need people in our society who do not reach for pitchfork before gathering all the facts. They are jury material.

That being said, BL's own actions have made him look like the prime suspect. Many of us see the choices he's made as an "absolute" indication of guilt. However, I can imagine some sort of intense trauma happening out in the wilderness that could make him behave irrationally, such as an acid trip gone wrong or a scuffle that turned into an accidental death. I do believe he "feels" responsible for her death... odds are he probably is responsible for her death. If so, he has to bear the consequences.

Any way you cut it, I hope he will turn himself in and give Gabby's family some real answers about the last days of her life... and her death. This is super sad. They are both so young. I don't believe either of them planned for their grand summer adventure to end like this.

“Rush to judgement”…hmm. Well, Gabby’s been gone for weeks, and the only information that was even remotely forthcoming was the was that Brian behaved after Gabby was murdered, as we know now. So I would say that the judgement, like that which hopefully happens in court some day, was based on the evidence (tiktokkers, van, Gabby’s body being found), along with Brian’s own behavior. Not sure it really qualifies as a rush to judgement. I mean, it would be some crazy and incredible coincidence if Gabby was murdered by a stranger, right before Brian steals her van, then drives it back to Florida like a bat outta h***, and THEN absconds after days of hiding from the police. Some kind of coincidence.

The best thing BL's lawyer can do is arrange for him to give himself up. After that, BL will be beating lawyers off with a stick. THIS is going to be a VERY big case.
Brian isn't out of the running by a long shot.
Over the years, we've seen many (what were considered) slam dunk cases end up in acquittal. Obviously, BL's parents aren't entertaining that possibility, because their lawyer has gone the clam up route. In doing so, he's made his client look guiltier than he might have seemed if he fessed up with an excuse and a map with an X on it.
He's also managed to demonize the parents by leaving the public seething with hate at the mention of their names.

The lawyer is an amateur. This is what happens when you get really bad legal advice. His inability to assess the situation properly has caused unnecessary heartache and hardship to his clients and the family of the victim.

IMO, I will never understand why their lawyer didn't find them an experienced criminal attorney posthaste. Even as an apparent solo practitioner, he should have at least known SOMEone to recommend via referrals.

"Map with an X on it", indeed.

Why is law enforcement suspending the search for BL upon learning of the discovery of poor Gabby's remains. I understand the idea of showing some respect for her family, but I think this should light a fire under their butts to try and find him as quick as possible?

If BL is charged with her murder, where would those charge come from - Wyoming? Florida? New York? How does that work. TIA

Don’t quote me on it but I’m pretty sure it’s the state the murder/incident takes place. FBI is involved because BL crossed state lines and originally the searches were in more than one state. Now that they found her Wyoming is home base.

I had this gut feeling they found him earlier today. So either they didn't or they did but given discovering Gabby they are holding it back. I think tomorrow will bring more news.
I hope they did. I
I had this gut feeling they found him earlier today. So either they didn't or they did but given discovering Gabby they are holding it back. I think tomorrow will bring more news.
I hope they did find him. I have a feeling he was only there long enough to find a ride out of there, if its true that the parents went to get the car.

IANAL, but I’d imagine the state she was found in
If is determined she died in Grand Teton National Park then it becomes a Federal crime. The trial would be wherever the United States Attorney for Wyoming would chose. It might end up in the capital of Wyoming, Cheyenne, as that's where all the Federal offices would be.

The apparent gravesite is in Grand Teton National Park as it the apparent location of the van. The border is not too far from it and I'm not sure whose jurisdiction the land just to the south belongs to. It might be Teton County Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member