Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not an attorney so JMO. But you have to prove probable cause. To do that you need to be able to provide evidence firstly that a crime has been committed.

It can't just be assumed that an adult is dead because they have been missing for 2 weeks. And when it comes to the van, it seems he was insured to drive the van and had seemingly up until the owners disapparence had permission to use it from her.

Last I heard, they found someone fitting Gabby’s description, dead. Nobody is assuming anything as far as that goes. Being insured to drive the van, as well as having permission to drive it doesn’t make it his, and it doesn’t give him permission to take it and leave Gabby alone in the woods without it, whether she is alive or not.

Abruptly chiming in because there is no way I will get caught up tonight. Hubby who doesn’t follow true crime and is not on social media has kept me up with this case. He also has a college friend with a child who is nearly a teenager who has been avidly posting about this case on every SM platform he is a member of to my knowledge. This is a guy I would have never thought to be remotely interested in crime let alone justice. It matters how you raise kids regardless of gender or whatever. Some of us have daughters, sons and some if us are blessed with both. It matters how we raise them. Respect, kindness and compassion are at the top of my list. There is absolutely no reason that this should ever be acceptable or the norm. But is remains a problem still. I guess what I am trying to say is that if people who never seemed to give two *advertiser censored* actually care and are raising male children to respect women and children that we should acknowledge it and defend it always. IMO
I see a lot here and in general life that casts doubt for me on humanity. I applaud the little gain I have seen from people who would never have noticed or mentioned what we all feel about this case and are raising their own children to do better. It matters people. Prayers and positive vibes. This should never have happened. Let’s do our best to see that we and our loved ones are not victims or perps. IMO

To the question of why this has gotten so much attention. Its the epitome of our current social media culture.

Budding Influencer/youtuber/Instagrammer
Vanlife (my reason for becoming so engrossed)
Encompassed so much of the US. Florida to NY then out west to many more states.
The overlap with a tragic murder of a couple in Moab.
How long it went before CP was reported missing and the silence of the person who was traveling with her.
The constant curve balls that kept coming - BL flying home, DV stop video, etc
And yes, beautiful, innocent free spirited young girl.
Thank you for answering my question.

I do believe your last point is the most important (there would be no case if it weren't for that), but it's helpful to know about the rest, too.

His parents' behavior makes me wonder if there are domestic violence tendencies between them as well. It's not just one person but two people choosing to stay silent and aide and abet. One of the two may be in charge of how they've responded to this crisis and the other may be more submissive. Just a theory. They are excusing inexcusable behavior on their son's part. I love my sons but I would turn them in.

I'm curious about what time she snapchatted with her friend...because I think it was after that or a while after, that they got in another argument and he killed her and disposed of her.....THEN took off on his "hike" late on the 27th or early on the 28th to colter bay area, cleaned up and returned on the 29th. Probably had moved the van to a campsite before he left so it wouldn't be just off the road...and maybe set up a tent to look like it was occupied.
This is all I can find. It's in the Media thread. It's also the first time I've seen an uncle mentioned. He may be family in Wyoming I've seen.

AUG 27 - Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Daily

We don't know what he told his parents, true. But, how likely is it that they'd believe him blindly despite all the evidence to the contrary? At that point, they became complicit.
It would really depend on how much he told them to begin with. If he began to say that he committed a crime they could’ve ended the convo right there and called the lawyer and not know any details. We just don’t know and it’s not something to speculate on with what ifs because there is way too much that is unknown.

IMO, you would be enabling your child to behave that way again. I would have no compassion for anyone who allowed another family to suffer because a mother wanted to hide what her child had done. Tough love is a thing.
agreed. i don't have kids, maybe never will, but if i did have kids.. i'd be the first to throw them under the bus for this tbh. his parents should've been able to put two and two together. between the media, him having the van, etc, even if he lied his butt off there had to be holes that they saw through. you don't just get national attention over a "whoopsies".

maybe if they did something small and dumb, like they accidentally lightly rear ended a car and took off, i might begrudgingly keep my mouth shut and urge them to do the right thing. but when it involves another person's life, they're going to be more scared of me than anything LE could do to them.

The only other bizarre scenario ,I can come up with is,he went for a hike,was gone too long,she got worried and decided to hitch a ride to town to find help in locating him,got picked up by the wrong person in which she tells the whole story too, they take advantage of the situation,do whatever and murder her and dump her body near but not too close to the van to kind of frame Brian.Brian gets back to the van,she's not there,and who knows what happened from there.

I’ve also been pondering…if he fled to Mexico like some have speculated…wouldn’t Covid protocols be hard to get by? I mean, unless he faked an ID AND a new Covid vaccine card with the new name on the vaccine card??? JMO

IMO, if they are seriously covering up for him, it seems more like: why don’t you take a hike to “clear your mind”? We will come check on you in a couple of days.

Now he has a head start to getting out of dodge and all they can honestly say is we “believe” that is where he went based on our previous discussions. Purposeful ignorance. You can’t know what you don’t know and therefore avoid flat out lying. Meanwhile, the car was there, which meant he didn’t need it to go any further. So they’re not worried. (Speculation)

IMO: IF he entered the reserve, he’s got a gun. One can assume that area is infested with alligators and other non-friendly inhabitants, entering without protection seems REALLY… not well thought out, nicest way to put it.

Off topic but not: Does anyone have a link to the video of the both of them sand-boarding? I am very bad at finding specific clips.

At this point in time, without a cause or method of death determined, can you think of any crime BL could be charged with if he just walked in the police with his attorney and asked to talk, but gave no information "on the advice of his attorney"? Is there anything that would stick and have a high enough bail that he wouldn't walk out on bail, without having to hide?

Grand theft auto?

Obstruction of justice?

Concealed weapon?

Anything?
Without a homicide determination, nothing I know of.

I personally think if homicide is determined, it will end up a manslaughter charge (or lowest level of murder-not sure of Wyoming's criminal law structure). Of course the DA in Jackson, Wyoming might look past the Moab incident (or hope she can keep it out of court) and argue Brian's art and reading materials choice indicates premeditation. That would play good in Wyoming for the next election.

Last edited:
At this point in time, without a cause or method of death determined, can you think of any crime BL could be charged with if he just walked in the police with his attorney and asked to talk, but gave no information "on the advice of his attorney"? Is there anything that would stick and have a high enough bail that he wouldn't walk out on bail, without having to hide?

Grand theft auto?

Obstruction of justice?

Concealed weapon?

Anything?
If he was the last one with her he could be arrested. They do not have to have their whole case together to charge him. They can always do (and it is often done) a superseding indictment. So, now that they've found her body him being the last person to see her, together with the other circumstantial evidence should now be enough to hold him. Before she was found, no. But, they should have subpoenaed him anyway just to lay eyes on him and verify that he was even in the state of Florida. The parents could be in real trouble. From hindering an investigation to aiding and abetting to obstruction to as simple as lying to authorities on the missing persons report IF they did. I need to stress that we don't know what they said to authorities on Friday. It may be more than we thought. Oh, and this is MOO.

The problem with theft from the jump was that she wasn't present to deny that she gave him consent to take the vehicle.

Last edited:
agreed. i don't have kids, maybe never will, but if i did have kids.. i'd be the first to throw them under the bus for this tbh. his parents should've been able to put two and two together. between the media, him having the van, etc, even if he lied his butt off there had to be holes that they saw through. you don't just get national attention over a "whoopsies".

maybe if they did something small and dumb, like they accidentally lightly rear ended a car and took off, i might begrudgingly keep my mouth shut and urge them to do the right thing. but when it involves another person's life, they're going to be more scared of me than anything LE could do to them.

It's not "throwing them under the bus" though. It's holding him accountable as the adult that he is. Would it be hard? Hell yeah. But, as a person with integrity, you do it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48