Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't he need a passport? I have traveled widely and have never been admitted to a country without having my passport scanned or stamped?

You enter at entry points, I assume.
On a boat no one is waiting on every beach to stamp your passport. Or even request one.

The problem with BL is I *think* don't quote me on this, a criminal complaint while fine to be used in exigent circumstances still requires indictment. Usually indictment (by Grand Jury) is required within 2 weeks max (again I *think*). He does not need to be found to be indicted, but they do have to have some semblance of a case put together. Then they can always do a superseding indictment later and add Counts.

You don’t have to have an ID or passport to get in Mexico if you walk across the border in TX. You just can’t get back in the US unless you have it.
I agree with this as I am from Louisiana. But I just wonder with the timeline if it’s even possible he got there. If you believe he never came home to Florida then I think it’s possible. But if you believe when his parents parent say they last saw him, I believe that to be a hard thing to do. He would have had to drive for a long time and would have had to stop a lot on his way there from Florida. Which means he could have been seen. Even if he hitchhiked from Florida to Texas I just find it very difficult.

I understand his parents trying to get information from Brian. My problem with the parents is waiting 3 days before notifying LE their son was missing. I have little or no sympathy for the parents.
RIP Gabby
Not only that, but the parents were fully aware that Gabby did not return with Brian, and he had her van. Over a week passed, and they still did nothing.

When Gabby's parents reached out trying to figure out what was going on with their daughter, they were ignored.

Nope. Nonsense.

First time poster. I think I understand the rules. Please be kind of I mess up!

moo and speculation
1) LE has evidence of BL making it to florida. He had to stop for food and gas at some point and isn’t the brightest. May have used ATM, caught on surveillance etc etc. They have had over a week to track some steps. they have credible evidence of him coming back to florida - a massive search in a single location. They know he was there at some point
2) mid - august return to florida. Easy to verify with flight manifest
3) BL likely explained some level of relational discord to his parents on that trip. That would explain the lack of immediate suspicion anyways. They knew about the fighting. They lived with them for crying out loud! So a break up would not have been shocking
4) I suspect he is dead but I hope I am wrong
I have a bunch more thoughts that I typed out in a long post that disappeared as I went to post it so may add more later. Thanks!

I understand his parents trying to get information from Brian. My problem with the parents is waiting 3 days before notifying LE their son was missing. I have little or no sympathy for the parents.
RIP Gabby
Agreed. The mom didn't answer her mother when she reached out worrying about them. His mother knew he was back without her. As well seems to me they could've spoken out- helped in any way whatsoever with the search, and encouraged their son to have a spine if he'd done something horrible and let her family have some answers. TBH, I think his parents are truly horrible and I'm not typically one to judge much less strangers. I just don't see any way these are decent people. Their actions have been nothing but heartless and cruel.

The only other bizarre scenario ,I can come up with is,he went for a hike,was gone too long,she got worried and decided to hitch a ride to town to find help in locating him,got picked up by the wrong person in which she tells the whole story too, they take advantage of the situation,do whatever and murder her and dump her body near but not too close to the van to kind of frame Brian.Brian gets back to the van,she's not there,and who knows what happened from there.
Bizarre. And extremely unlikely. BL's behavior reveals what happened.

Why wouldn't he need a passport? I have traveled widely and have never been admitted to a country without having my passport scanned or stamped?
You can cross from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada over land at a border crossing with a passport card instead of a passport book. I’ve heard of some agents not checking going into Mexico but I don’t have personal experience with that.

I am really struggling to keep up with this thread. So apologies if this has already been discussed to death.

I took a screenshot from the 4k high definition version of the drive by of the van. Here it is for people who want to see it (as always, it is only cropped, no zooming or other editing effects on my part as per the TOS):

View attachment 313492

I think those flip flops look too big to be Gabby's and they are more substantial and without the beading/bling hers had. IMO.

On the body cam footage, BL is wearing flip flops which are plain and match the ones in this shot more, I think.

I am also intrigued by the discrepancy of the decals. Somewhere along the way on the trip back, BL put more stickers on the back of the van. (assuming Gabby was dead around 27-29th)

When I tried to figure out which ones were added, it gave me chills. Correct me if I am wrong but the ones added were "Today is a Great Day" and "Life is Good in the Woods".

Since it was reported that the Van-life trip was meant to end in Oregon on Halloween, doesn't that make Gabby's final post being the "Happy Halloween" one even more sinister? Like if BL was say, well the trip ended...early.

At the end of the day, even if Gabby's death was accidental or suicide, the fact that he notified no one, took her van and possibly posted messages pretending to be her after the fact seems pretty suspicious.

That final text message is a lie. They weren't at Yosemite or Yellowstone. She'd already told her mum on the 25th she was in Grand Teton. She has to have been dead by the 30th. So who posted that, if not Brian. And why? To obscure proof of life.

I agree with so much you are saying. Here's the two pictures:
#1 as of Aug 27 6-6:30 pm and #2 is from the search poster pictures. Can link if needed.
van.png van2.jpg

She was uncomfortable driving the van .I was under the impression that she would not drive the van and was completely dependent on him driving it.
She had a driver's license so she knew how to drive. I think she preferred not to drive, but she must have driven it occasionally because there is a video of her behind the wheel.

I've seen a couple people asking how BL could possibly be innocent in GP's disappearance and possible murder, and here is a theory.
What if they had another fight, and this time he left GP with the van so she didn't worry that he would leave her? He hitchhikes around while she works on video and returns to find her missing. He can't get ahold of her, panics and heads home, thinking she may be there. He gets there and no GP, but his parents convince him it will be fine and to stay home and regroup. When BLs parents hear from GPs parents, they realize something is amiss and lawyer up. As people take notice of the case, BL realizes that even if he didn't do it, his life is ruined and he has been convicted in the court of public opinion and goes into the woods and commits suicide. GP is later found, and the story has two victims.

The thing that first made me question BLs involvement was the Yosemite text. He knows they were planning on Yellowstone, he was the driver. I think someone may have met GP while BL was hitchhiking, and sent a text to cover but didn't correctly remember the park GP had mentioned.

Not saying this is the case, just saying that it is good to consider different angles. His parents did not react in a compassionate manner AT ALL, but people can be jerks when it comes to protecting their kids, and BL is young, seems anticonfrontational (from the body cam footage, at least), and would likely listen to his parents and later his attorney.

Just a theory. IMHO MOO etc.

There’s so much focus on the location and specifics of the remains. I think we have lost our focus on motive and intentions. The body and BL’s behavior will provide bucket loads of circumstantial evidence. Most likely this has the potential to be a Capital murder case, if GP was murdered on Federal land. If so, the criteria for conviction is much more stringent.

~ I still think the murders of Moab couple may be connected. The timing, the location and opportunity are all there. When local LE were so quick to dismiss the connection, it seems that they were trying to diffuse and de- escalate the situation. Very little info on those murders has been made public.
The FBI wanted to provide an opportunity for BL to come forward without the premise of guilt. They needed him to talk. They needed time to collect both physical and digital evidence. Add too much “heat” and the suspect/person of interest will run, and he did.
BL was threatened by the overt attractiveness of a female that drew much more attention than himself. He tried to control her and the Moab couple must have observed this. I imagine there may have been a verbal exchange at the coop that in some way threatened his masculinity and fragile sense of self. Add BL’s preoccupation with murder and travel and it just makes you wonder if GP was a witness he needed to eliminate?

I will have to go search for the source and post, but the woman who worked at Moonstone that was murdered was said to be not working when BL and GP were at the store.

This is from a 2015 article in SunSentinel: The Cuban government has continued to protect other high-profile, urgently-sought fugitives, including a New Jersey cop killer and Cuban-born Medicare fraudsters who stole millions from the U.S. government health insurance program for the old or disabled.

Edited to add: this is a US Dept. of State release from Jan. of this year “Cuba also harbors several U.S. fugitives from justice wanted on or convicted of charges of political violence, many of whom have resided in Cuba for decades. For example, the Cuban regime has refused to return Joanne Chesimard, on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists List for executing New Jersey State Trooper Werner Foerster in 1973; Ishmael LaBeet, convicted of killing eight people in the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1972; Charles Lee Hill, charged with killing New Mexico state policeman Robert Rosenbloom in 1971; and others.”

So, yep, I think they might.
I don't think Brian is high profile and the US is also known for refusing to extradite citizens as the Brits will tell you about Anne Sacoolis who killed a motorcyclist by driving on the wrong side of the road and was asked to report for to LE for questioning the next day but was spirited out in the middle of the night.

Agreed. He's a *talker*. And whether it's feigned on camera or not, I got the sense from bodycam he's eager to manipulate how people view him. He needs approval. [moosteer]

I am not convinced his parents would be sophisticated enough to google extradition treaties deep into the night, then hide that googling, then get him on a boat, train, or plane out of the U.S. with enough cash to lay him over a few years. They'd have to account for the missing cash. This brings up the Q. of potential outside assistance.
Good post! And he is a real schmoozer who couldn't keep his mouth shut in Moab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie