Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you're right but wouldn't a SWAT team show up if he was refusing to leave the shed, camper, or home or had weapon-making threats?

That's what confuses me, when LE knocked they should have said: "Sorry he is an adult we need to talk to him."
Then BL could have handed LE the attorney's info, also they would have seen him at the house to confirm he was there. Right now, no one can confirm BL was in FL on Sept 1st or Sept 11th.
Only the parents word he returned, correct?
Maybe BL never returned someone else returned/drove the van back to he did indeed return the van and eft immediately afterward.
No one I can remember, outside of his 2 parents, has confirmed he was ever in Florida.

So I gather if I've read articles correctly that the coroner will be performing an autopsy tomorrow. I would be interested to hear from any experts here what the likelihood is that the coroner will be able to identify the COD. I'm sorry that this is a horrible question - my deepest sympathies are with Gabby herself and her family.

We are guessing that she died on or around the 27th August I think. Given the temperatures since then, the time left open to the elements (and any interference from wild animals), is there anyone out there with expertise who might hazard a guess as how likely we are to getting a cause of death? I presume more invasive injuries - stab wounds or gun shot, major trauma from being hit by a vehicle or blunt force trauma - ie injuries that result in broken bones or damage to major organs - are easier to detect than suffocation/strangulation? I recall a similar debate with the Alexis Sharkey case? (And don't want this case to end up in a similar place).

Also, I am presuming that given where GP's body was found she is unlikely to have been hit by a vehicle since the terrain does not seem drivable - at least in their white van?

My apologies again for asking. I do not need graphic details just wondering how illuminating the coroner's might be. Sadly I'm feeling quite pessimistic about the perp being brought to justice but I'd like to know if further evidence will be collected as far as we can guess.

Oh I've just seen - in response to my previous post in the Daily Mail article an expert saying the body could been badly decomposed.
Police slammed for letting 'person of interest' slip away after likely remains of Gabby Petito found | Daily Mail Online

This is my last post on this because honestly I'm not even sure what the argument is about. I'm not looking at a fake account. It's HIS account. Linked from GP's. There are no extra underscores. The post about missing the succulents is under his stories. If people can't find it I'm not sure what to say
AHHH I see now what the confusion is. I apologize for my piece. In case it wasn't stated yet, that SAME post was used in a fake account days ago as a current IG story as if he was posting it real time. This story on his REAL account but ages ago.

I'm not a parent, but I know my own and I know for a FACT that if I was in BL's position and my significant other had been reported missing and I was under suspicion, that my mother and father would be the first people to march me into a Police Office.

Not because they don't love me or aren't protective, but because they taught me to take responsibility for my actions and be a functional, honest and valuable member of society.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for my family and the values we have. I would never allow my family to face the consequences of my own actions, be vilified by their community, hated by the world and disrespect them and GPs family for my own self-preservation.

It makes me so angry.
I don't know what his parents were/are thinking. No one gets to do this to someone's daughter, to a young, beautiful woman, and hide from the consequences.

None of us would ever let that happen. Countless lives ruined because BL is so utterly selfish.

IMO
I think most people feel that way. The only thing I can think of, barring pure evil, is that they felt their son was in crisis (mental health?) and thought they were doing the right thing. By now, however, I think they've had a huge reality check and their eyes this morning show their fear.

If your son comes home to you and tells you, "I think I may have killed my fiancee..." what are the next logical steps? If you've seen any TV crime show, first maybe call a lawyer? ok, check. Then if you were a person with average ethics, you'd probably expect your son to do the right thing and give yourself up to the police, perhaps through your lawyer. Let's just say even he is ready to do so.

Is there any chance that at that point the lawyer says to you, "now, wait. No one is after you and you don't need to say anything. In fact, don't say anything at all until THEY come knocking on your door! KEEP QUIET."

Would that be considered good legal counsel or bad? At the end of the day, certainly it's your decision, not the lawyers. But if that's what you were told, how much more difficult would the decision be to push forward and talk anyway?

I only say this because I see people not make their own decisions all the time in healthcare. They just do surgeries and tests and take medication the doctor told them to and it never once occurs to them to even get a second opinion. And in the end when something goes wrong, they're told, YOU made that decision.

*Hypothetical question only. Not saying this is what happened at all. I am clear on what I will do but I still hope to God I will never ever have to be in this situation.

It is not. There is a clear distinction. A POI could be a witness, a suspect could be the perpetrator. They had no reason to call him a suspect because there was no crime, there still might not be an actual murder, no one knows.

Nah. Listen to retired police officer Duty Ron on YouTube. He'll set ya straight on this.

I would be interested to hear from any experts here what the likelihood is that the coroner will be able to identify the COD. [snippety-snip]

• Gunshot wounds can be detected even when the body is in a severe state of decomposition…
  • Stab wounds are harder but not impossible (as the soft tissue gives way within days in the unforgiving heat).
  • Blunt trauma to the skull: Can be detected fairly easily, even when the body has been exposed to the elements for a very long time (think months to years).
  • Strangulation can be proven as the leading COD as long as the hyoid bone is still present, which usually gets severely damaged / broken by strangulation.

Source: A friend of mine, now long retired, worked as a surgeon and back in the day the pupils got to enjoy lots of lessons at the morgue...

im not sure why he went home at all, i mean if you wanted to run why drive 2500 miles home or whatever it was

grab your passport or ID and just jump the border before anyone even knows that anything is amiss

that point has always stumped me throughout this entire thing
he probably, in my imagination, put an SOS call into his 'rents (pa)..in trouble..
They said
'come home , son, your succulents await your tlc... we'll take care of it'

I reckon he had to move the van from the vicinity of her body. The van would have been spotted.

Succulents called, IMO
(sorry for irreverence, low grade hysteria going on here, it's so ludicrous I just found myself laughing helplessly)

No disrespect to Gabby intended.

I’m specifically talking about the Mexican border.
It used to be that there was a kind of free international tourist zone along both borders, US/mex where only DL or some non-passport ID was the only thing required. I remember this coming up a few years ago when a guy was shot/killed on the Mexican side of that big lake that straddles the border, he was on a jet ski with his girlfriend, IIRC, and she got away safely. They were visiting some ruins or old town on the Mexican side, and at the time it was considered to be cartel at fault. But the point was that it was completely open to visit the zone some miles into each country before a passport was required, or at least some distance into Mexico. (Same with visiting that little Mexican town (Boquillos?) by Big Bend NP.

So is it still easy to enter mexico with just a DL or non-passport ID?

Right. And, wasn't he kind of an outdoorsy type? Because it's pretty easy to build a simple travois to move heavy objects, too. In fact, he probably could have moved her a lot farther had he done that, and it only takes a few sticks to build.
I don't give him that much credit to know about a travois, honestly.

:rolleyes: Not without serious roughing-it skills, and help. Even though it's September, it's still murderously hot and humid in this part of Florida. Staying in a Florida swamp/woods undetected "for months" isn't like camping out in your backyard on a nice autumn day somewhere in the midwest. He would need considerable resources. Does he have them?
And they’re not searching today — maybe they have reason to believe he’s not even in there. With GP being found, you’d think they’d ramp up the search.

:rolleyes: Not without serious roughing-it skills, and help. Even though it's September, it's still murderously hot and humid in this part of Florida. Staying in a Florida swamp/woods undetected "for months" isn't like camping out in your backyard on a nice autumn day somewhere in the midwest. He would need considerable resources. Does he have them?
I live in Florida. That game preserve is a living hell. BL isn't a dyed in the wool survivalist. He's a guy who likes to ride around in a van, eat veggies for the camera, then stop off for a Big Mac and fries. He's far from eating snakes and gator eggs.
Which is why he's either dead or enjoying a Happy Meal in some "safe house" somewhere.

It used to be that there was a kind of free international tourist zone along both borders, US/mex where only DL or some non-passport ID was the only thing required. I remember this coming up a few years ago when a guy was shot/killed on the Mexican side of that big lake that straddles the border, he was on a jet ski with his girlfriend, IIRC, and she got away safely. They were visiting some ruins or old town on the Mexican side, and at the time it was considered to be cartel at fault. But the point was that it was completely open to visit the zone some miles into each country before a passport was required, or at least some distance into Mexico. (Same with visiting that little Mexican town (Boquillos?) by Big Bend NP.

You don’t need any form of ID to enter Mexico, at least not where I live. You need a DL, birth certificate, or passport to come back INTO the United States, but to enter you literally just drive over the border. I live 5 miles down the road from a major border crossing.

You need a passport now AFAIK to get back in.
ETA: however, I will take @casleuthin word on this that DL is possible.

He could of camped with a passport card.
They are the size of a drivers license.
Easy to carry. Small.
interesting you can use this @ Canada border, Mexico, Caribbean , Bermuda.
(international air travel. ..you need the regular passport)

since it’s been inserted in this case:
Puerto Rico - need just a Drivers lic or ID
MOO
I imagine that's because Puerto Rico is considered a Commonwealth of the U.S.

But you never think it'll be at the hands of a kid who've you known and who your daughter has known since high school. Tragic.

Maybe I hang around WS too much, or perhaps it’s because I was married to someone who developed a mental illness that presented after we got married (too young), who I’m certain will kill a woman some day, but that is exactly who I expect would hurt my daughter or anyone’s daughter. Statistically, at least.

We were talking about Gabby last night and she said, “I guess you never really know what someone is capable of, even after years of loving them.” And she is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member