Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decomposition is based on a lot of different factors, humidity and heat being two of those factors. When DailyMail or any news station predicts how much decomposition occurred, it's important to try to ask yourself if that person's opinion is taking into account the weather of the area the body was found in. In Grand Teton where Gabby was found there were a few days of highs in the high 70's to low 80's, but the low was around 45 degrees and the highs weren't for a long period of time. Additionally, these people who give their opinion have no idea the conditions of where the body is found it, was it under a bunch of bushes, covered by undergrowth, buried or was it out in the open, on dirt in a wet field, etc. Or if it had been raining a lot or very dry. All these factors will affect rate of decomposition.

If your son comes home to you and tells you, "I think I may have killed my fiancee..." what are the next logical steps? If you've seen any TV crime show, first maybe call a lawyer? ok, check. Then if you were a person with average ethics, you'd probably expect your son to do the right thing and give yourself up to the police, perhaps through your lawyer. Let's just say even he is ready to do so.

Is there any chance that at that point the lawyer says to you, "now, wait. No one is after you and you don't need to say anything. In fact, don't say anything at all until THEY come knocking on your door! KEEP QUIET."

Would that be considered good legal counsel or bad? At the end of the day, certainly it's your decision, not the lawyers. But if that's what you were told, how much more difficult would the decision be to push forward and talk anyway?

I only say this because I see people not make their own decisions all the time in healthcare. They just do surgeries and tests and take medication the doctor told them to and it never once occurs to them to even get a second opinion. And in the end when something goes wrong, they're told, YOU made that decision.

*Hypothetical question only. Not saying this is what happened at all. I am clear on what I will do but I still hope to God I will never ever have to be in this situation.
Disown him, probably.
I’d consider visiting him in prison though.

Brian Laundrie, Gabby Petito: Redacted missing person reports released

For the first time, law enforcement has classified the case as an active criminal investigation, citing this as the lone reason for the heavy redactions to the missing person's reports.

The entire report besides the Laundries' address and the time officers responded was blacked out. The report on Petito was dated Sept. 11. Additional information about the active criminal investigation was not immediately available.

If your son comes home to you and tells you, "I think I may have killed my fiancee..." what are the next logical steps? If you've seen any TV crime show, first maybe call a lawyer? ok, check. Then if you were a person with average ethics, you'd probably expect your son to do the right thing and give yourself up to the police, perhaps through your lawyer. Let's just say even he is ready to do so.

Is there any chance that at that point the lawyer says to you, "now, wait. No one is after you and you don't need to say anything. In fact, don't say anything at all until THEY come knocking on your door! KEEP QUIET."

Would that be considered good legal counsel or bad? At the end of the day, certainly it's your decision, not the lawyers. But if that's what you were told, how much more difficult would the decision be to push forward and talk anyway?

I only say this because I see people not make their own decisions all the time in healthcare. They just do surgeries and tests and take medication the doctor told them to and it never once occurs to them to even get a second opinion. And in the end when something goes wrong, they're told, YOU made that decision.

*Hypothetical question only. Not saying this is what happened at all. I am clear on what I will do but I still hope to God I will never ever have to be in this situation.

Honestly, I can see a criminal defense attorney telling them to wait to talk to police, at the very least, until they come to you. Here is the thing, though…not all parents would say “yeah, yeah, let’s lay low for a while”, whether that’s a good idea or not. The lawyer’s job is simple, if not easy-it’s their job to keep you from being convicted of a crime. The parents’ job is not only harder and longer lasting, but more complicated. The parents have to teach you right from wrong, and teach you to face the consequences when you do the wrong thing, all while trying desperately to protect you at the same time. BF’s parents are currently in protection mode-and forgot entirely about the part where they were to teach him right from wrong, and that actions have consequences.

The Laundries own Juicer Services, a company started in 2017 that sells and services commercial juicing equipment. The Florida company registry lists Roberta Laundrie as the "registered agent" of the company, and a New York registry from 2018 lists Christopher Laundrie as CEO of the company.

The couple runs the company out of their home, which is a 10,000-square-foot property. The dates would indicate that the Laundries likely moved to Florida in 2017 as part of their business plan for their company.

Brian Laundrie and Petito moved in with his parents in 2019; the following year, they got engaged. The couple both worked at a Publix supermarket prior to their road trip.
Gabby Petito case: Who are Brian Laundrie's parents?

I mean, this is a fair question, but BL's parents have already demonstrated (via the Mustang) that they're perfectly happy to move a vehicle on their son's behalf. It's equally possible, based on what we know and don't know right at this moment, that his parents moved the van to FL themselves while BL made himself scarce. I keep saying this but there is NO proof that anyone has laid eyes on BL in the state of Florida, or at all since his (alleged) hitchhiking adventure out west.

He could be anywhere.

It's just so odd, and the parents seem to be up to their ears in the deceit. I have to wonder about the sister, too. She said she hadn't seen him since he returned, but who knows? Maybe he's bunking in her basement.

The parents (I've heard) run some sort of tech-repair business, so you think they'd be fairly savvy. Plus, they have a decent home, vehicles, and a pool. Yet, their behavior smacks of backwoods Billy-bobs who make up all sorts of tales to protect their "kin." All that blood-is-thicker-than-water stuff.

I just don't know what to think.

Assuming the hitchhiking story is true, it's so crazy that he didn't just stick to that alibi and call the police when he got to the van and say Gabby was "missing". At least he would have had a shot at beating in court. But fleeing across the country with her van and then dragging his family into this mess? It just all seems so unnecessary.
Panic, immaturity, and <possibly> just having slain someone -- brings out the "stoopid" in some people.

So I gather if I've read articles correctly that the coroner will be performing an autopsy tomorrow. I would be interested to hear from any experts here what the likelihood is that the coroner will be able to identify the COD. I'm sorry that this is a horrible question - my deepest sympathies are with Gabby herself and her family.

We are guessing that she died on or around the 27th August I think. Given the temperatures since then, the time left open to the elements (and any interference from wild animals), is there anyone out there with expertise who might hazard a guess as how likely we are to getting a cause of death? I presume more invasive injuries - stab wounds or gun shot, major trauma from being hit by a vehicle or blunt force trauma - ie injuries that result in broken bones or damage to major organs - are easier to detect than suffocation/strangulation? I recall a similar debate with the Alexis Sharkey case? (And don't want this case to end up in a similar place).

Also, I am presuming that given where GP's body was found she is unlikely to have been hit by a vehicle since the terrain does not seem drivable - at least in their white van?

My apologies again for asking. I do not need graphic details just wondering how illuminating the coroner's might be. Sadly I'm feeling quite pessimistic about the perp being brought to justice but I'd like to know if further evidence will be collected as far as we can guess.

I posted this yesterday but I'll say it again
Sasha Krause was in Flagstaff AZ for a month in high day time temps low night time. Exposed in some brush (not covered). She was ultimately found by a camper who immediately recognized it as a body (so not buried and not hidden).

Most of us speculated that they wouldn't be able to get much from her remains. They managed to get stomach contents and next month we'll hear what else. There are SO many factors that go into decomposition. Without animal involvement I would guess that GP's remains are far more intact then most people would believe. You can google stages of decomp and look at images (mostly pigs). MOO I don't think this particular area would have a lot of animal involvement.

Suffocation/strangulation is usually one that is very easy to determine because the pressure needed to cause death usually results in hyoid bone or thyroid cartilage damage.

I mean, this is a fair question, but BL's parents have already demonstrated (via the Mustang) that they're perfectly happy to move a vehicle on their son's behalf. It's equally possible, based on what we know and don't know right at this moment, that his parents moved the van to FL themselves while BL made himself scarce. I keep saying this but there is NO proof that anyone has laid eyes on BL in the state of Florida, or at all since his (alleged) hitchhiking adventure out west.

He could be anywhere.
But wherever he is, I would think his resources are limited and it's only a matter of time before he is found. I totally agree with you.

I’m not sure if wfla is still live (YouTube says it is) but they’re still focusing on the shed. Door of it is open.
If WFLA goes live again, will SOMEONE kindly post it? I can watch if someone posts, but I can't get it on my own....no idea why...old PC? old browser??? anyway PLEASE post if it is online. TY

The Laundries own Juicer Services, a company started in 2017 that sells and services commercial juicing equipment. The Florida company registry lists Roberta Laundrie as the "registered agent" of the company, and a New York registry from 2018 lists Christopher Laundrie as CEO of the company.

The couple runs the company out of their home, which is a 10,000-square-foot property. The dates would indicate that the Laundries likely moved to Florida in 2017 as part of their business plan for their company.

Brian Laundrie and Petito moved in with his parents in 2019; the following year, they got engaged. The couple both worked at a Publix supermarket prior to their road trip.
Gabby Petito case: Who are Brian Laundrie's parents?

That house being searched is not a 10k sf house. And it's worth in the 300s K range. Depending on what the company actually does, the 10k sf building is liked a warehouse of some sort.

Whats everyones thoughts about the door of the van closing as seen on the youtube sighting?
It also looks like someone is slouched in the front of the van...
My theory from this is that i think it could be Gabby in the front of the van already passed, and BL is in the back preparing himself to move her body or hiding in the back as he could hear or see another vehicle incoming. His thought may of been that if anyone does see Gabby in the front of the van it will just look like she is sleeping?

Its been stated that the couple did not see any one. It shows them actively slowing down because of interest in the Florida plates and one angle shows the male driver looks at the van right as the windows line up but the couple filming were both looking and they saw no one.

My thought is that BL was off on his own and GP was in the back of the van hanging out and had the door propped open a bit for fresh air and closed it for privacy as she heard them start to approach.

There were several other campers very close by and noise travels well out there because of the isolation. I highly doubt she passed away anywhere near the van in that location which is pointing to be her last camping spot. Instead I believe they were walking together out in the bush and something happened out there. IMO

What are the odds that LE/FBI are NOT aware of the van door situation in the RV video?

People have been talking about it for a while on here and I tried to find it watching the video on my own and missed it, I didn't personally believe it until I saw the video of the analysis zoomed in and everything. Are we sure they are aware of this fact? I know their timeline is probably much more detailed than the one we have here with plenty of unreleased info, but I do think that is a tricky thing to catch with the naked eye.

Brian is under the mistaken impression that he's going to be executed or get a life sentence. Depending on the autopsy, he's looking at a possible plea deal and a charge from second degree murder to manslaughter or third degree manslaughter and probation. He's had abysmal legal advice (as have his parents) by a lawyer who obviously hasn't had much criminal law experience. That advice is causing havoc and is making him and his parents look like a squad of heartless ghouls.
The best thing they can do is get a better lawyer. He should then offer the parent's apology for being silent, because of incompetent counsel and produce BL post haste. The longer they carry on the silent treatment and charade the less likely LE is going to forgive and forget being led on a goose chase when it comes to trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong