Man selling tatooed fish

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
At Steve's Wonderful World of Pets in Williamsville, owner Steve Lane is selling tattooed fish for the first time. Some have polka dots, some have stripes and others even have pink hearts.

The fish are imported from Singapore. Lane believes they have to be restrained and then tattooed with a tattoo gun.

more at link:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=44744http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=850

better article:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=850

:furious: :furious: :furious: i am sending this out to all my contacts. THIS HAS TO BE STOPPED!!!:furious: :furious: :furious:

From the second article....
"unlike some other forms of dyed fish, his are tattooed with dye using a special "low intensity laser" which he claims leaves a permanent mark and does not cause the fish any pain."

Why does this need to be stopped??? Plenty of animals are tattoo'd for identification purposes.

From the second article....
"unlike some other forms of dyed fish, his are tattooed with dye using a special "low intensity laser" which he claims leaves a permanent mark and does not cause the fish any pain."

Why does this need to be stopped??? Plenty of animals are tattoo'd for identification purposes.
Because I didnt read further....LOL But still fish?

I wont read the whole article but I think that doing anything like that is cruel.

Why in the world would someone want this??? Both lasers and tattoos are painful in my experience. Still, there are plenty of beautiful fish out there that don't need to be tattooed.

What purpose does a tattoo'd fish serve? other than varifying that some humans can be utterly selfish, therefore insisting on altering an animals appearance for vanity's sake. Tattooing for indentification is totally different from tattooing an animal in the name of being trendy and having cute altered fish in your aquarium.

Guess I will never understand people: if one isn't cutting their pure bred dog's tail and ears back because they think it "looks" good, they are buying teeny tiny designer pups to carry around in fashion doggie carriers because it's the "trendy" thing to do. Now we add tattooing fish. I'm telling ya, us humans can really be scewed up, at times. LoL

Is tail docking still legal in the States?

I bought some fish years ago that were lasered with neon colors. I had no idea they were I just thought they looked pretty. They actually looked natural with the way it was done. The fish stores dont share that information with the consumer, at least they didnt with me.

Dingo- Im not sure, I would never do it if I had a dog.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more animals (etc) tattooed in this day and age! I wouldn't put any fish or animal through something as silly as this.

Of course, I think dressing them in clothes is stupid as well. Maybe not as painful, but stupid. :D

I bought some fish years ago that were lasered with neon colors. I had no idea they were I just thought they looked pretty. They actually looked natural with the way it was done. The fish stores dont share that information with the consumer, at least they didnt with me.

Dingo- Im not sure, I would never do it if I had a dog.
Thanks Autumn......it was banned here years ago.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more animals (etc) tattooed in this day and age! I wouldn't put any fish or animal through something as silly as this.

Of course, I think dressing them in clothes is stupid as well. Maybe not as painful, but stupid. :D
Dont you think Jake looks cute in his pixie outfit Taximom:D

Is tail docking still legal in the States?

Yes tail docking is still legal in the states.

According to what I read there are over 50 breeds whose tails are routinely docked.

Any breed you see with a short tail is most likely a docked tail. It is done so young that many people don't realize that certain breeds are not simply born with short tails.

Breeds in the US that usually have docked tails are: Jack Russell Terriers, Fox Terriers, Australian Cattle Dogs, Rat Terriers, Airedales, Old English Sheepdogs, Water Spaniels, Springer Spaniels, Cocker Spaniels, Poodles, Sealyham Terriers, Welsh Terriers, Weimaraners, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Yorkies, Welsh Corgies, Boxers and sometimes German short-haired and wire-haired Pointers.

From experience I know that the procedure is supposed to be done when the pups are only a few days old. It is not supposed to be very traumatic at that age. The puppies we had done fell asleep within minutes of the procedure and did not seem to be in pain for longer than an instant. I know cause I was very reluctant to see it done but was neither bloody nor did it seem to cause the pups much distress. Anyway, nowadays they have changed to a method using rubber bands on pups that cause the tail to simply fall off after about 3 days.

While I hate to make an animal suffer....many of those breeds would look strange to me if not docked. I do however think ear cropping has been banned in some states.

I would be interested to know if Austalia also banned the routine docking of the tails of lambs?

As for tatooing fish they have been doing that for years and most serious aquariusts will not buy fish that have fake coloration. I have read that fish tatooed with needles often die during or after the procedure. I have not heard of this laser tequnique but I don't think it's a very good idea either way.

Tatooing animals for identification is one thing....tatooing fish doesn't seem like a good thing to do.

Removal of lambs tails is imperative to their survival unlike puppies tails.
Fly strike in sheep is not a thing that any animal should have to suffer and I believe it was Pink who toured here recently that had to do a big backdown and offer up apologies to the Aussie farmers after she spoke about the cruelty of docking lambs tails when she hadnt done her research first.

Dont you think Jake looks cute in his pixie outfit Taximom:D

Uh, uhm, well. LOL

Dingo, yes, Jake looks cute! lol I guess I was a little insensitive w/my remarks. Maybe I should have said "silly" instead of "stupid" because I don't think you are stupid. :blushing: Just silly. :D

:truce:

well that makes feel better:D.
ps....He doesnt dress up like that all the time....only on special occassions.

well that makes feel better:D.
ps....He doesnt dress up like that all the time....only on special occassions.

Whew. I wouldn't want to insult you, Dingo. :blowkiss: Jake is cute though. Maybe it's just the silly (heh) coats and rubber boots that turn me off.

Theres a pic of Jake with thongs on in the pet corner forum:D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998