Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
I noticed that GP posted her vanlife video a week later, on August 19, full of imagery of them cavorting and kissing. I don't see how police could have intervened to end the relationship, when that's how she wanted everyone to see it.
Thank you! I think the police spent more than enough time with them. They interviewed both of them and then separated them.

Their accounts didn't conflict. Their accounts were consistent in that both pointed toward BL as aggressor. They saw different parts of the incident. One witness didn't see the slapping/chasing part of the encounter.
That's not what I read in the report.

I am inclined to agree with you. When I watched the whole video of the DV stop one of the officers was on the phone with a witness that saw the incident prior to the stop. It was clearly stated that she was aggressive towards to him and he put his hands up to push/get her away from him. He had the physical evidence on his body and she clearly did not have any marks at the time of the stop (her body was fairly exposed in the attire worn during the stop). Clearly he is an abuser, but during this particular stop there was evidence to the contrary. The police did what they could with the info. they had.
I don't think so, based on the dates and the fact that both took place after they'd spent hours in Moonflower. I don't think they were in Moab long enough. I think what's confusing people is that more than one person called it in, and the two people were in slightly different locations and saw different parts of the incident.

Given t
I don't know what you want the LE to do when GP herself said the reason she was slapping him was to get him to stop telling her to calm down. Yes, she should leave an abusive mate, but as far as I know that type of emotional abuse isn't illegal and not something the cops can act on. They did what they could. They separated him from her and gave the keys to the van to her.
given that a not-insignificant part of their job involves DV, they should be better attuned to common dynamics in abusive relationships.

WFLA update (from live):

Tuesday: Search warrant executed on Petito's van. They found an external hard drive.

Wednesday: Requested SW re missing endangered person statute to search the hard drive that was found in the van.

SW noted that Gabby's phone has been off for 15 days (as of 9/15) so around 9/1 it was off.

I tend to agree. I do think it was an unhealthy relationship and there was probably some back and forth. I just bristle at the constant din of DV (unless evidence emerges to show it).

People can love each other and also be incompatible and unhealthy for each other. That doesn't mean one or the other is an "abuser." If BL (actually) thought that GP's social media efforts were a waste of time, unlikely to amount to much, etc.. (as many in the early posts here said, as well) - he had a right to say that. Doesn't make him a monster.

Possibly killing her and certainly leaving her body in the woods, while he goes on the run... does.

There does seem to be enough evidence of DV here…for one, a police report that claims GP was the aggressor, for another, a witness who saw BL repeatedly slap GP, and finally, one of them ended up dead, and one went into hiding. Since we know GP was a victim of DV, because an independent witness saw BL strike her several times, AND she is now dead, my money is on GP being the victim and not BL. Nobody saw Gabby hit Brian. They only said she did, and she appeared to have reason to be afraid of him. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it interesting the manner in which the car was towed away - it’s usually only done that way if they didn’t have the keys. Which, as we know, conflicts with what we’ve been told about parents driving it back….so, that means they refused to turn over the keys?

I just can’t keep up with this case.

It is blowing my mind how fast these threads are moving. Hard to add anything of value that hasn’t been said once or 200 times in these threads.

But a few thoughts:
I am so sad and sorry for Gabby’s family. I wonder if they had qualms about Brian being controlling prior to her trip. I am leaning towards no because they didn’t seem too concerned until he came home without her. Although sometimes victims don’t even realize how bad it is until there is no going back.

But there was an incident with Gabby’s parents at BLs house. Does that indicate Gabby’s parents flew to FL in search of Gabby once they couldn’t reach her?

I have heard a lot of people speculate they would turn the country upside down and be outside BLs door if that were their daughter. That seems like exactly what Gabby’s parents did.

So much love and heartache for this poor girl. May she rest peacefully.

This is just a theory but maybe BL didn't have the vehicles registered to him for insurance reasons. We have a "high risk driver" in my family and none of our vehicles have their name on the title because insurance for those vehicles would become significantly more expensive if it was.

I think it's because the van was paid for by Gabby and her father. Gabby had a car she traded in on the van. I don't know why any unmarried young woman would put her car in her boyfriend's name. But yeah, he probably wasn't listed as a common driver on the insurance - even if not high risk, putting a 23 year old male on your insurance costs way more.

BBM SBM
Question: How many still think suicide is a possibility after all we know, including this 911 call released today?

There is absolutely NO evidence to support this assertion and with the release of the 911 call today, it is increasingly clear that Gabby was a victim and BL was her abuser.

Honestly, anything is possible.

As for BL, I'm pretty sure he's on the run. I get a vibe from his already-seen self-preservation instincts that he would do anything to get away and save himself. But he would need money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member