Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was the one with visible injuries & she claimed that he didn’t hit her….just pushed her away from him. Should they have ignored that? IF it turns out that BL killed her….that’s on him. Nobody else.

That’s a lot of assumptions. I truly can believe that BL was abusing her…..physically & mentally….but, I can’t understand blaming Moab LE for it. We do know that she had a close enough relationship with her family that her father ordered her food. And, she was in touch with her mother. If she had no visible injuries then should have Moab LE just called her a liar when she claimed that BL didn’t hit her?

Ultimately, BL is the only one who is to blame. If she had no visible marks and he did, they were placed in a difficult position, despite the witness account, I guess. I do wish she had been arrested, however, if they believed that was their only choice. Because it may have caused her to realize the ramifications of being in an abusive relationship. And possibly allowed her to get the hell out. Finally, if he had been hitting her first, she could have used self-defense as a defense to any charge.

I hate the what ifs.

This is odd. Hypothetically, let's say Brian texted it from her phone pretending to be Gabby, why would he refer to her grandfather as Stan? Did she not have her grandfather’s name programmed to her phone as “grandpa”? IMO this only makes sense if she for some reason had her grandfather’s name programmed as Stan.
No, it doesn't. It is clear to me that she calls him some name for grandfather and Brian calls him Stan.

okay a bit off topic maybe but I am trying to get a handle on who these young people are and watched the previous trip video and this one. The first thing I noticed was wholly crap so much kissing like almost every single clip there is a kiss. I get being young and in love but anyone else find this strange or am I just a cold (rhymes with witch).

Young girl in love wanting to show the best of their relationship & adventure. So edited accordingly.

Plus, yes, people in love usually like to kiss a lot.

About the LE stop. Two things can be true.

1. That what it showed was a BL entirely in control of himself shortly after assaulting Gabby; that he could think on his feet while looking LE in the face, that he was hugely manipulative, and that he was entirely comfortable with lying about Gabby being the aggressor, even if it meant legal trouble for her.

It can also be true that..

2. Only one LEO had the dispatcher info & what was relayed to him didn't match what was said by Gabby, BL, or the other eyewitness; that LE went with what they were told at the scene; that they followed the law & what they thought was a reasonable course of action & the right thing to do.

At the very least they should be told not to sympathize with one party and bring their personal experiences into the mix.

Am I the only one who watched the footage and thought that the LEOs were courteous and fair to both Brian and Gabby? Really, I think they went over and above to help by seperating them and arranging the hotel accommodation. They seemed impartial to me.

That certainly wouldn't happen here in the UK, IMO.

I think we also need to remember that BL had visible injuries and scratches, and he stated that when they're having an argument he tries to "put distance between them".

As a woman, I guess I sometimes wonder how a man is supposed to react when they're in an enclosed space where they can't put distance between themselves and their partner (like a van) and they are being physically attacked by them. They can't retaliate physically (even though this would be seen as somehow more acceptable if it was a man attacking a man). Words can't always placate a person's anger, and there's no escape if you're in a moving vehicle.

I feel the van was like a tinderbox and they were both struggling to deal with each other in a confined space.

At this stage, there is no evidence to suggest that BL has ever been physically violent to GP, other than her saying he grabbed her chin (but I believe she said in the DV police stop that this was when they were having the argument and she was slapping him).

We can't automatically assume that GP's death (if it was at the hands of BL) was the final act in a series of misogynistic DV episodes. Naturally, men are usually stronger than women, so is it possible that he could have killed her in an act of self defence?

MOO

okay a bit off topic maybe but I am trying to get a handle on who these young people are and watched the previous trip video and this one. The first thing I noticed was wholly crap so much kissing like almost every single clip there is a kiss. I get being young and in love but anyone else find this strange or am I just a cold (rhymes with witch).

Young girl in love wanting to show the best of their relationship & adventure. So edited accordingly.

Plus, yes, people in love usually like to kiss a lot.

Sorry if this is repetitive. I haven't been able to read every page of comments. I noticed 3 pictures of their van at different times with different sticker arrangements on the back door. The video of the travel bloggers from Spread Creek was the third one... I'm not sure it's relevant but are there any theories about how or why the sticker arrangements changed twice during their trip?

Welp, for starters, don't buddy up with one party, don't fill in information for one of them, consider that having someone on-site doing questioning who does not look exactly like one of the two people. I mean, so much can do more to try to get to the real situation. He'll, even give both people a card with DV help information on it.

There were a lot of behavioral red flags here. Cops are often very good at reading people. Bias, however, along with over-identification abd lack of training or understanding, will also impede their ability to be effective.

Here's the Utah law which was NOT followed by LE:

2)
(a) A law enforcement officer shall give written notice to the victim in simple language, describing the rights and remedies available under this chapter, Title 78B, Chapter 7, Part 6, Cohabitant Abuse Protective Orders, and Title 78B, Chapter 7, Part 2, Child Protective Orders.
The written notice shall also include:
(i) a statement that the forms needed in order to obtain an order for protection are available from the court clerk's office in the judicial district where the victim resides or is temporarily domiciled;

(ii) a list of shelters, services, and resources available in the appropriate community, together with telephone numbers, to assist the victim in accessing any needed assistance; and

(iii) the information required to be provided to both parties in accordance with Subsections 78B-7-802(8) and (9) .

(b)

Utah Code Section 77-36-2.1

This is odd. Hypothetically, let's say Brian texted it from her phone pretending to be Gabby, why would he refer to her grandfather as Stan? Did she not have her grandfather’s name programmed to her phone as “grandpa”? IMO this only makes sense if she for some reason had her grandfather’s name programmed as Stan.

Who programs their phones with "grandpa"? Or Stan? If Gabby never called him Stan, and someone typed Stan, it wouldn't auto-correct, it would send "Stan" on my phone (which is an iPhone, very similar to Gabby's).

If a person uses "grandpa" frequently, the auto-correct choices will show that - it takes no "programming." But if someone else grabs the phone and tries to message "Stan," there's no way the phone knows to correct that to "Grandpa." IMO

Obviously, Gabby's mom was right - someone else was using her phone. Someone named Brian. He thinks he's in Yosemite (when in fact he's either near the Tetons or en route back to FL) and he forgets to call Grandpa "grandpa" because he has never paid any attention to what Gabby says or does on her phone and doesn't plan to start.

Indeed, I think he is one of those guys who is enamored of someone's looks, but is in no way ready to be in an adult relationships (it's fun to pretend, though) and who is very very happy that he has a "girlfriend" at all.

Have you ever tried to make a young girl stay away from their boyfriend?

Snipped by me. That's my takeaway as well. Even if the police response would have been different, I have no doubt that GP and BL would have reunited within days and would have ultimately have faced the same outcome. It's sad all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam