Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, LE knows that sometime eye witnesses have conflicting stories. So, they could not completely count on the phone call they got when three other people recounted a different account. Also, physical evidence supported Chris, Brain and Gabby.
No, she had marks on her neck and jaw where he grabbed her, but they completely ignored that in the report.

Since a lot of people may have missed it:

Timestamp 8:35 is where there is a discussion of whether BL hit GP or not. She explains that he grabbed her face. Demonstrates it twice. And says that's how she got the cut on her left cheek, and that she can "still feel it".

Later on in the cam footage someone says that "there are marks on her too". I think it's the bearded officer, but it might be BL. Hard to tell. But it was discussed.

Here is a cropped version of a clearer screenshot of the aforementioned cut. Note that I have only cropped the screenshot, not done any other editing. Timestamp is visible.

Hand cut/scratch, with timestamp visible:

I also think that there is a redness on her right arm, just above the elbow that looks like pressure marks from a hand grab. It's faint and seems to only start appearing later on. My guess is she would have had bruises there in a few hours. But YMMV.

View attachment 313624

link to the source:

What irks me is that it's discussed and shown to various officers in the cam footage but not written up in the report. Nor do they take pictures of HER injuries.

Agreed about the arm. Almost looks like finger marks on there.

MOO

What is he supposed to use for money during this escape to Canada or Mexico? Surely he knew he'd be recognized quickly (especially in Mexico). This is not a street smart young man. He has never lived outside his parents' house (IMO) except to travel with Gabby, who supervises the plans. I believe he values his own life (and comfort) a great deal. He needed his parents more than anything, considering what he had just done (left Gabby near Spread Creek, WY). I wonder what he told his parents about why he was coming home without her. Did they ever try to call her? I bet not. They knew he had her phone. IMO.

I wonder if he even knows how to use a map. Whether he could find a border crossing (you should see my students - all of them young adults in a state university. - struggle to locate the borders in between states and transfer those to a paper map). Half of them have been to Mexico within the past 2 years but cannot say which freeways go there, and some take SO long to figure it out in the lab - they rely on their groups to help them out. They're not even clear on what kinds of symbols and lines/shading that Google maps uses to show them boundaries. Some cannot draw a rough outline of California without a map in front of them.

Nearly everyone knows that you head to Tijuana - but they can't name the other crossing. They also know there's a wait and a check point at Tijuana (most of them). They also know it's "south" of where they live - but they do not have a strong concept of how long the drive is. This semester, only ⅓ knew which state lies directly north of CA.

Anyway, Brian wouldn't want to get caught by digital evidence later googling "what's the fastest way to Mexico?" Would he? Even if he can't use a map, he seems aware of general rules of law and order.
Travel is so important in widening ones horizones.
I've been in Mexico crossing in through Brownsville, Texas.
Never would I have known that had I not experienced it!

Wow, I just heard about the other 911 call where the person said he saw him slapping her! How come this wasn't known earlier. And I'm very sad that Gabby didn't push harder to present that abuse when she spoke to the cops but she was protecting him and herself at that point. This couldn't have been the first time this abuse had occurred. Also, I don't think for a minute that his parents did not know that their relationship was very unhealthy. I am so disgusted with his parents right now.

As of now it appears her death occurred in Grand Teton National Park. The means it be comes a Federal offense and the trial would likely be in the state capital, Cheyenne WY, under the eagis of the US Dept of Justice, done by a US Attorney General. It would not be prosecuted by Teton County, WY as a state of Wyoming crime. That may affect the death penalty status.

Some legal eagle here has to advise us, please

Good question. It appears Spread Creek is in Bridger Teton National Forest. Grand Teton National Park is adjacent.

Bridger-Teton National Forest - Home

The Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area is located in the Bridger-Teton National Forest on the east boundary of Grand Teton National Park.

Spread Creek area closed for Petito search

I was in a relationship once with a woman who would get angry enough to hit me repeatedly. I never retaliated of course, but I did grab her wrists once to stop her, and that frustrated her even more. You're right, it's a hard spot to be in since you don't want to hurt the other person, but you also don't want to put up with them hitting you repeatedly either.
So sorry you both had to go through this. X

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that he might've been ambivalent and wanted her to be found even if it was he who killed her? I guess that's possible, but it seems very unlikely to me. I mean, even if he is clueless, why would he think her body wouldn't implicate him in some way? And if it wasn't he who killed her, why did he act the way he has and not report her disappearance to law enforcement?

JMO
I’m not sure to be honest. There’s just something about the way this has all played out that makes me think he wanted her to be found. If he wanted to get away with it I’m pretty sure he could have if he’d gone about things differently. I also believe it was an accident. I don’t think he meant to kill her. So maybe he wants people to know it was an accident before resurfacing, whether that be alive or dead. he can’t hide out forever. I guess we’ll see once the autopsy results come out. If he’s not found by then.

/JMO

I think it was Brian driving the van back to FL. The chances otherwise seem slim to me.

Any idea when we might hear something about the autopsy tomorrow?? Same day or later?

I think its hard to picture an alternative to BL driving the van back. Sure we don't know if anyone saw BL in Florida. But we've been speculating how he had time to make it back to Florida by the 1st September. Would there have been time for someone else to have gone somewhere to meet him and get the van and drive it back?

That it was technically her van isn't what's most relevant. The fact that she was so convinced that he *would* drive away & abandon her there that she fought her way back in is. And then the fact that instead of keeping the van parked & apologizing & comforting her until she had calmed down, he escalated and drove the van fast enough to alarm LE, and didn't pull right over after seeing them behind him.
That is a great example of his passive/aggressive behavior. Look at what you made me do. MOO.

“It has been reported that some really haunting songs, considering the situation, were added to Gabby’s Spotify playlist the day after she sent the last text to her mom,” TikToker and Petito sleuth Haley Toumaian said in a video about the songs.

The two minute clip efficiently runs down the pertinent facts of the Petito case before transitioning to a discussion of song lyrics. It’s the kind of thing you eventually see once you’ve spent the last few hours absorbing every detail you can about an ongoing missing persons case.
Inside TikTok’s Amateur Investigation Into Gabby Petito’s Disappearance

It's not this simple sadly and I really wish people would stop boiling DV down to this black and white thing where it's apparently incredibly obvious from the traffic stop she was a victim of DV, it's incredibly easy to say now with hindsight.

My mother was abusive verbally and physically to both myself and my dad for a period of years. I saw my dad covering for her when asked questions by the Police and he acted far more like BL when asked questions than Gabby. Slightly awkward, wanting to play it down, minimise it and almost make light of the situation. My mother was infact the one more likely to turn on the water works and say she'd got a bit worked up because of her mental illness as a way to down play she'd gone bat <modsnip> with her fists.

Just because someone is upset and emotional when stopped by the Police doesn't mean they are necessarily the victim. Just because someone comes across as awkward and odd doesn't make them the perpetrator.

DV perpetrators and victims come in many different flavours. If it was as fundementally simple as some seem to make it out on here, it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Nobody has suggested recognizing domestic violence is fundamentally simple. But with proper training, there are RED FLAGS that signal when intervention is necessary. It is essential that law enforcement be better trained in recognizing these red flags for their own safety as well as victim safety.

I think it is essential that parents also be trained to recognize the red flags so that they can intervene. Relationships don't start out as violent. Abusers can be incredibly charming not just to their victims but also to the victim's parents. Abusers gradually take control and it is incredibly difficult for a victim to extract themselves from a relationship when their primary support system is far away. Instead of sleeping in the van that night, the Moab police could have suggested GP go to the Moab domestic violence shelter where there would be trained counselors.

Know the Red Flags of Abuse

Seekhaven Family Crisis and Resource Center in Moab, UT

This bothers me a lot too. Why did it take so long to report her missing?!

The parents KNEW Gabby was with him, so they didn't think it was odd that she didn't return with him? Sure, he could have said that she left him or whatnot, but at that point...call her parents to make sure she's okay, or call her yourselves since she LIVED with you.

I am a scientist and not superstitious but.... damn, that makes you think something supernatural intervened here.

Those two people were themselves youtube bloggers, travel bloggers. You'd be surprised how many vloggers you'll find at a large dispersed campground like Spread Creek - and at Colter Bay, as well. Not only that, but within the Van Life community (don't know if that couple considered themselves such), there are tons of videos sharing how to use these more remote campgrounds. It's not like it used to be, even two years ago.

So that couple was used to reviewing their footage frequently (unlike those of us who have dash cams merely to ward off liability charges if a crazy driver runs into us).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa