Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabby was found, not by anyone who knew her or even loved her, alone, discovered by strangers, because of help by strangers. Where is Brian, what did he do to help her or her family? how did anyone, including his parents let him slither away and when is he going to be held accountable? It’s inconceivable that between his family and local law enforcement he just disappeared into thin air. He is not going to make it very far for long at all, but his bell is ready to toll and the hundreds of thousands of dollars all of the agencies can spend on the next guy that does this to someone are being wasted. Do the right thing Brian Laundrie..

Last edited:
In my experience, you can take the chance of telling the truth, but the cops will almost never believe you nor keep the abusive person in custody *if* they take them in at all, so you have to make a split-second decision as to how much suffering is the truth worth in the future. And in that environment GP found herself, the clear answer was to just go with whatever they said because there was zero chance they’d believe the truth and 100% chance of retribution. What did she have to lose by being honest at that stop? To her mind, she had “everything” to lose. She was considering that she could be abandoned and lose her home, not realizing he could actually kill her or she could be driven to suicide (which some people actually do instead of killing, they drive their partner to suicide). It’s tragic she didn’t realize she was in a lethal situation, nor that anyone else did, either, because again, I truly believe this was entirely preventable.

She did protect BL - but I think she was in no shape to be that calculating. I think she was psychologically abused so much that she was ready to believe what happened was her fault. She was in serious distress.

I agree and/or he just wasn't gonna turn away a free night in a hotel so he didn't answer one way or the other. I am less than convinced that he is as broke as people seem to think.

IMO He’s obviously not broke. He was (possibly?) able to afford a (last minute?) round trip flight to Florida, an extended stay for GP at a hotel, gas money to get back to FL. And who knows what else.

Rage is passion. Passion means strong emotion. Rage is a strong emotion. In law, we use “crime of passion” to mean a crime that was not thought out, but was impulsive as a result of rage.

And yes, using that term indeed “minimizes” it. Because it should. A crime of passion is a lesser crime in the majority of jurisdictions than one carefully and coldly planned out.
Well, I think that stinks, for domestic violence victims, especially habitual domestic abusers.

I dig ya. I went to this site, but I don't know how good it is. I know it says usually involves sexual cheating, so maybe I will stop using it :)

Crime of Passion Law and Legal Definition
Crime of passion is a criminal defendant's excuse for lacking the premeditation element of a crime due to sudden anger or heartbreak. The defense is usually raised in murder or attempted murder cases, when a spouse or lover finds his/her partner sexually involved with another and shoots or stabs one or both of the coupled pair. To successfully raise the defense, the defendant must have acted immediately after the provocation, without time to "cool off". If the element of premediation is eliminated, the charges may be lessened from provable homicide to manslaughter with no death penalty and limited prison terms. The impassioned defendant may even be acquitted.

Crime of Passion Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.
Sorry, but an action full of emotion that leads to murder or injury is rage. I know what passion means, but describing murder as a crime of passion is minimizing it IMO.
I agree.
The first time this defense was used was in the 1800's by US congressman Daniel Sickles, whose life was full of scandal. He killed his wife's lover, a US attorney and Francis Scott Key's son, he wrote the Star Spangled Banner.
More recently it's been used as a defense for killing trans people, it's the "I couldn't help myself they made me do it" defense.
It has some questionable usage in both past and present.

Not in Our Right Minds: The Implications of Reason and Passion in the Law | Politics & Gender | Cambridge Core

In this study, an examination of the legal treatment of “crimes of passion” points to important gendered aspects of the construction of both reason and passion in the law. In crimes of passion, criminal responsibility is mitigated because the perpetrator was in the grip of a strong emotion – in other words, not in his or her right mind. The legal concept of passion is, therefore, society's formal recognition of the limits of reason as a basis for social behavior.

Feminist scholarship has long argued that reason in law is not neutral but reflects dominant social interests. Less attention has been given to passion as reason's recognized opposite. It might be expected that the law's partial toleration of passion would privilege different interests. But this is not the case; in effect, although passion is reason's opposite, its construction in law reflects the same dominant values. Recent efforts to eradicate gender disparities in criminal law have led to some reconsideration of the construction of reason and the recognition of passion in some systems.

Last edited:
This is my first post, so I'm sorry if this already been discussed.. But my curiosity is the flight Laundries took back home on 17th? My brain has zeroed in on this detail.

<modsnip> I haven't seen any confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
From my recollection, the police asked if he had money for a hotel OR knew people in the area he could stay with. He just said “I don’t”, which could’ve been referring to friends in the area. He never said he didn’t have money..

So for everyone talking flights
you know all that's on record and traceable.... like you'd need a photo ID and unless Brian had totally set up a fake identity and gotten a state of the art ID to go with it, he's simply not hopping any flights.... same with his parents.
What is possible however is that he drove the car back or met the parents/someone else back halfway like someone mentioned in Texas, then fled. Its pretty easy to cross into Mexico by foot for a US resident.
anyway parents whereabouts and any connection with them/lawyer need to be investigated. I am 100% sure Brian never made it back to FL and was assisted (prob with help of lawyer) in making that happen. and totally distracting everyone to concentrate on FL. now that US marshalls are involved the hunt will get much more focused
but no planes and no cell phones involved. pay phones and cars, yes.

Well, I think that stinks, for domestic violence victims, especially habitual domestic abusers.

"Habitual domestic abusers" who have deliberately controlled their partner can also have fits of "passion." There may be a legal distinction, but in real life, I think one can melt into the other.

I don't know that he did, but if the tiktoker is correct, then he did. why did he do it? The reasons could range from he actually was doing a hike while he left her to work on the channel up through he murdered her in a fit of passion and then wandered north (away from her body and the van) until he ended up at Culter Bay and decide he was sick of walking and wanted the van.

Assuming that was in fact BL, the tiktoker can tell us what he SAID he did. There's no way of knowing whether he told her the truth. It might have been some version of the truth, but more likely it was a fabrication to build himself an alibi.

We are all forgetting that BL had to have money to get back home, he didn't get there without getting has several times and I'm sure eating or drinking , not saying he had 200 dollars but he had something....

you know all that's on record and traceable.... like you'd need a photo ID and unless Brian had totally set up a fake identity and gotten a state of the art ID to go with it, he's simply not hopping any flights.... same with his parents.
What is possible however is that he drove the car back or met the parents/someone else back halfway like someone mentioned in Texas, then fled. Its pretty easy to cross into Mexico by foot for a US resident.
anyway parents whereabouts and any connection with them/lawyer need to be investigated. I am 100% sure Brian never made it back to FL and was assisted (prob with help of lawyer) in making that happen.

I certainly think on Tuesday, he could have gotten on a plane. Was he even named a "person of interest" at that point? Certainly not a crime suspect.

anyway parents whereabouts and any connection with them/lawyer need to be investigated. I am 100% sure Brian never made it back to FL and was assisted (prob with help of lawyer) in making that happen. and totally distracting everyone to concentrate on FL. now that US marshalls are involved the hunt will get much more focused

And there's cameras ALL over airports.

Based on what we saw on the body cam, the inside of the back of the van was horrible. IDK, but it seems to me that most people would find that kind of disorder (and probably dirt) oppressive, especially in such confined quarters. I have a little camper car and even though I'm not the tidiest person, I keep it orderly on a trip, to save my sanity.

Yes, the mess would not be what she intended. To clean the van up for another social media post would be a nightmare. I am
In my experience, you can take the chance of telling the truth, but the cops will almost never believe you nor keep the abusive person in custody *if* they take them in at all, so you have to make a split-second decision as to how much suffering is the truth worth in the future. And in that environment GP found herself, the clear answer was to just go with whatever they said because there was zero chance they’d believe the truth and 100% chance of retribution. What did she have to lose by being honest at that stop? To her mind, she had “everything” to lose. She was considering that she could be abandoned and lose her home, not realizing he could actually kill her or she could be driven to suicide (which some people actually do instead of killing, they drive their partner to suicide). It’s tragic she didn’t realize she was in a lethal situation, nor that anyone else did, either, because again, I truly believe this was entirely preventable.

IMO the added factor is she had everything invested in this trip. The success of social media was imperative, and that success was based on the fantastic van journey and prefect relationship. Neither of which were going well, and she was all in both emotionally and financeially. If this failed they would be back living with his parents, and working at a juice bar. This is a hard train to get off of. Ending the relationship and stepping off, means going back to long island with nothing, even though IMO she would have been better off in weeks.

If BL was controlling, it was a prefect opportunity as he was part of all the above, he held the key. Her plan didn't happen without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member