Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.

To be fair, I read books about murders and hey, I partake in this forum. I don't think the books he reads have anything to do with what happened to Gabby but that's JMO.

Annihilation is a science fiction novel about scientists that disappear while studying an anomaly. Some of the scientists are women. It’s very popular.

View attachment 313687 Here’s a screenshot of the book BL was
“caught reading”

Copying and pasting my post from earlier today:

I replied in an earlier thread (re: Fight Club) and will repeat it here. I think the choice of fictional reading material such as that is completely irrelevant.

Annihilation is a Nebula award-winning book, not some obscure screed from the dark web that tells how to murder women. Both Fight Club and Annihilation were popular enough to be made into movies.

There's nothing suspicious about reading popular fiction.

It's also possible he/they picked up and deposited books at Little Free Libraries during their travels. If so, you're at the mercy of picking from among the books there.

Someone looking for tips on murder would get a lot more from reading this website than any fictional book.

MOO

I thought the call came into Moab Police - they weren't in the park yet, they were on the offramp before the entrance station. Did both groups of LE show up? I hadn't heard that.
No. I am wrong, thought it was Park Police.

The one thing no one will ever be able to get over in this case is the lack of communication from BL's parents to Gabby's.

Even if I try to give them the most charitable view - perhaps BL put a spin on it such that she left him, etc. From the moment her van arrived at their home without her in it, that was when they had an obligation to tell her parents. They may regret that decision for the rest of their life.

Because even if BL had them snowed about the details of WHY Gabby wasn't there, they should have told her parents she wasn't there.

Especially if BL snowed them about why GP wasn’t with him. His parents would have easily said “oh! Didn’t Gabby tell you? The kids broke up & she stayed in WY”. It is obvious they knew something nefarious was up.

I know by now that I will pay if I say something against his actions.
This is the part I'm struggling with. By the time she's talking to LE, she's already done all of the other things (hit him, scratched him, made a scene to the point that someone called 911) that, in your scenario, should have made him plenty angry. What's so much more egregious about telling LE what "really" happened?

I made the observation after watching the interview of Dr. Phil with Gabby's dad that BL had been emasculated quite a few times in a short period of time. I wonder if that was always a problem for him or a point of contention for him. His resentment was boiling over.

- deemed "battered" by police and put up in a Women's Shelter
- didn't own the van
- didn't have a cell phone, only a cell used for texting (as a child would have)
- GP's father called him Brianne
- GP's disapproval of how he lived in the van // cleanliness // "I can't help if my feet are dirty." (like a child)
- GP and BL lived with his parents
- GP was dominating Nomadic Static and the whole point of the trip was for her travel blog and potential career.
- BL was described as "jealous and controlling."
- and so on.
I think it was more to get at the Laundries and Brian. Understand that he's just lost his daughter <modsnip>. What Gabby's Dad is essentially pointing out is that this family hasn't been "man enough" to own what happened.

Just a random thought - BL is a fairly common looking guy - hate to say that he likely could blend in unnoticed. I tend to believe there will be more false sightings than true - IF he is still alive. IMVHO
Absolutely. Grow a beard or better yet fumanchu stash. Let his hair grow. Get a dapper hat. An LL Bean outfit or two. He’d walk right by Josh Taylor without a prob.

There is an excellent article in the deseret news about the female officer, Melissa Hulls, who responded to the traffic stop in Moab UT on August 12.
You have to google it, do not know how to link

LE could be monitoring his SM, that may be reason for changes to any of his accounts. They are going through them.
Comments were limited on Gabby's instagram, meaning only people she follows back can comment, not sure if they have been all along. If it was just changed to that setting, it's possible all social media might be under LE/FBI's thumb right now.

I do a
The one thing no one will ever be able to get over in this case is the lack of communication from BL's parents to Gabby's.

Even if I try to give them the most charitable view - perhaps BL put a spin on it such that she left him, etc. From the moment her van arrived at their home without her in it, that was when they had an obligation to tell her parents. They may regret that decision for the rest of their life.

Because even if BL had them snowed about the details of WHY Gabby wasn't there, they should have told her parents she wasn't there.
gree!

Wow, someone did care at that stop. Sadly, she must have thought everything would be OK.
I took a break late this afternoon as the DV issue was creating distress for myself. I'm heartbroken for this Ranger. She knew, she knew and told her. And in the meantime LE is yucking it up w BL about the "Crazy woman" SMH

Autopsy results can be pretty quick, provided toxicology isn't necessary to determine cause of death. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the preliminary results tomorrow, despite her body being exposed to the elements for a few weeks.

It really comes down to how he did it, but many methods show tell-tale signs.

Personally, I don't think that's the reason he cancelled.
I'm leaning toward strangulation, if that's not too morbid to mention. In one of the pictures I saw him kissing her, with one hand nearly encircling her neck, which is creepy. Completely.

It is my sincere hope that in the end, all of us here, have learned a little more about intimate partner violence. There aren’t necessarily any hard and fast decisions anyone could have made to prevent Gabby’s death (other than her murderer). I can only hope that the more we understand the dynamics of such relationships, the more likely we are to help more than we hurt. Justice for Gabby is likely out of our hands, but our honest empathy and understanding just might make a small difference in the lives of those we touch.

Arches park ranger warned Gabby Petito her relationship with Brian Laundrie seemed ‘toxic’

Hulls detailed the complexing, difficult — and often scrutinized — relationship between law enforcement and domestic violence situations. Sometimes the choice is clear, and knowing the victim is in imminent danger can make the responding officer’s job easier. But it’s not always black and white.

“Sometimes you get evidence and they don’t own up to it, and they’re just lying to your face and it’s unsafe, and you know that something more is going to happen if you let them go home together. That’s a much easier decision to arrest,” she said. “With this one, I just don’t think she understood how big a deal this was.”

So they separated the couple. Petito took the van, Laundrie was taken to a hotel, and a few days later, they were back on the road, headed north to Salt Lake City.

Excellent find, thank you.

"Hulls arrived to find the couple pulled over by a Moab police officer inside the park. Knowing that in a domestic violence situation the female usually feels more comfortable talking with another female, she focused on Petito, who at that point was sitting in the back of a police cruiser.

“I can still hear her voice,” Hulls said in an exclusive interview with the Deseret News. “She wasn’t just a face on the milk carton, she was real to me.”

Hulls pictures the sobbing 22-year-old sitting in the back of the cruiser. She knows her mannerisms, just from the roughly hour-and-a half interaction.

“I was probably more candid with her than I should've been,” Hulls recalls, warning Petito that her and Laundrie’s relationship had the markings of a “toxic” one.

“I was imploring with her to reevaluate the relationship, asking her if she was happy in the relationship with him, and basically saying this was an opportunity for her to find another path, to make a change in her life,” she said.

“She had a lot of anxiety about being away from him, I honestly thought if anything was going to change it would be after they got home to Florida.”

In the end, Petito stayed with Laundrie.

“This wasn't a good day for anybody. We thought we were making the right decision when we left them.”"

... Sounds to me like both Brian and Gabby did a good job of sounding compos mentis, plus it's tough to make the decision to arrest one or the other of a couple who's basically begging for neither of the other to be arrested, I would imagine.

they would have run the database at some point before then. and thought they call of search for the night,
They did not search the preserve today. I'm sure technically they are "looking" for him just not in any specific place, more of a BOLO.
MY PERSONAL OPINION?
NPPD Didn't think he was there but they all had a lot of fun playing with all their toys in the swamp for the weekend. They called it off before it was actually dark on Saturday, saying it was too dark. No thermal scans at night. They barely showed up by 10 on Sunday and were done by 4. And today, Myakkahatchee Creek Park and Carlton Reserve are wide open to the public again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth