Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
The daughter of an unvaccinated man who died of COVID-19 says Tucker Carlson and misinformation 'played a role' in his vaccine hesitancy
Mon, September 20, 2021, 4:23 PM
73dab57543d1a9ecc9366523dee140fc

Katie and Evan Lane speaking to CNN's "New Day." CNN

The daughter of an unvaccinated man who died of COVID-19 told CNN's "New Day" on Monday she believes Fox News host Tucker Carlson and misinformation "played a role" in her father's vaccine hesitancy.

Katie and Evan Lane spoke to "New Day" about their father, 45-year-old Patrick Lane, who recently died from the virus.

"He wasn't by any means far-right. He was right in the middle, and he consumed media from both sides, and just some of the misinformation on one of those sides made him hesitant," Katie Lane said. "He was going to wait for FDA approval, but by the time that Pfizer had been approved, it was already too late."

Anchor John Berman later said Katie Lane had said "one media source in particular" impacted her father's vaccine hesitancy, and asked her to clarify.

"He watched some Tucker Carlson videos on YouTube, and some of those videos involved some misinformation about vaccines, and I believe that that played a role," she said.

Both Katie and Evan are vaccinated, and Katie said that her father said he "wished he was vaccinated" during his final call with his wife.

"His final words to my step-mom on a Facetime call was that he wished that he was vaccinated," she said.

Carlson, a right-wing commentator and the country's most-watched cable news host, has for months spread false and misleading information about the COVID-19 vaccines and has refused to reveal whether he's been vaccinated.

He has repeatedly baselessly suggested that the COVID-10 vaccines "don't work," hosted guests on his airwaves to undermine faith in the vaccines and other public health measures, and has called the Biden administration's door-to-door vaccination efforts "the greatest scandal in my lifetime, by far."

What is strange to me is, I was only six years old when we were given the Salk vaccine at school. It was very new, but no one was saying how new it was and how we needed to know what was in it or how it contained stuff to control us, it did however, stop the cruel disease of polio.

What is strange to me is, I was only six years old when we were given the Salk vaccine at school. It was very new, but no one was saying how new it was and how we needed to know what was in it or how it contained stuff to control us, it did however, stop the cruel disease of polio.

Good point. There are others I can think of.

2nd dose of J&J COVID-19 vaccine after 2 months results in 94% protection, company says
The new data, announced in a press release, adds to a growing body of evidence suggesting that booster shots could enhance vaccine protection against breakthrough infections -- though experts agree all three vaccines are still doing their job to protect against more serious illness.

Compared to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, Johnson & Johnson's single-shot vaccine always had slightly lower efficacy. Peak efficacy from the two-shot Pfizer and Moderna vaccines was 95% and 94%, respectively, against symptomatic illness.

But two Johnson & Johnson shots, given two months apart, resulted in a similarly high effectiveness level: 94% protection against any symptomatic infection in the U.S., and 100% against severe disease.

The daughter of an unvaccinated man who died of COVID-19 says Tucker Carlson and misinformation 'played a role' in his vaccine hesitancy
Mon, September 20, 2021, 4:23 PM
73dab57543d1a9ecc9366523dee140fc

Katie and Evan Lane speaking to CNN's "New Day." CNN

The daughter of an unvaccinated man who died of COVID-19 told CNN's "New Day" on Monday she believes Fox News host Tucker Carlson and misinformation "played a role" in her father's vaccine hesitancy.

Katie and Evan Lane spoke to "New Day" about their father, 45-year-old Patrick Lane, who recently died from the virus.

"He wasn't by any means far-right. He was right in the middle, and he consumed media from both sides, and just some of the misinformation on one of those sides made him hesitant," Katie Lane said. "He was going to wait for FDA approval, but by the time that Pfizer had been approved, it was already too late."

Anchor John Berman later said Katie Lane had said "one media source in particular" impacted her father's vaccine hesitancy, and asked her to clarify.

"He watched some Tucker Carlson videos on YouTube, and some of those videos involved some misinformation about vaccines, and I believe that that played a role," she said.

Both Katie and Evan are vaccinated, and Katie said that her father said he "wished he was vaccinated" during his final call with his wife.

"His final words to my step-mom on a Facetime call was that he wished that he was vaccinated," she said.

Carlson, a right-wing commentator and the country's most-watched cable news host, has for months spread false and misleading information about the COVID-19 vaccines and has refused to reveal whether he's been vaccinated.

He has repeatedly baselessly suggested that the COVID-10 vaccines "don't work," hosted guests on his airwaves to undermine faith in the vaccines and other public health measures, and has called the Biden administration's door-to-door vaccination efforts "the greatest scandal in my lifetime, by far."

And the thing is, I think Carlson is vaccinated. We know that more than 90% of Fox News staff are vaccinated. And Carlson refuses to say if he is or if he isn't. Which leads me to believe that he is, otherwise why wouldn't he say he is unvaccinated as he peddles the vaccine controversies. imo

Nearly all Fox staffers vaccinated for Covid even as hosts cast doubt on vaccine
Fox News host Tucker Carlson tells interviewer: ‘I lie’

Sadly, we are living in a different time- with a different type of mindset, which is focus on the self, almost to the exclusion of anybody else- the me me me generation has exploded -- The idea of Let's do this together as a society is a relic type of idea from the past. These are dangerous times.

They Shunned COVID-19 Vaccines but Embraced Antibody Treatment

Lanson Jones did not think that the coronavirus would come for him. An avid tennis player in Houston who had not caught so much as a cold during the pandemic, he had refused a vaccine because he worried that it would spoil his streak of good health.

But contracting COVID-19 shattered his faith in his body’s defenses — so much so that Jones, nose clogged and appetite vanished, began hunting for anything to spare himself a nightmarish illness.
4eac41a1d191dfed1cd3eaf45514e6cd

Laura Jeffery, 43, receives an infusion of monoclonal antibodies at the Houston Methodist Hospital in Texas, on Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021.

The answer turned out to be monoclonal antibodies, a 1-year-old, laboratory-created drug no less experimental than the vaccine. In a glass-walled enclosure at Houston Methodist Hospital this month, Jones, 65, became one of more than a million patients, including Donald Trump and Joe Rogan, to receive an antibody infusion as the virus has battered the United States.
aeabe80f-096a-420a-a376-6f1916cd22d6-MonoClonal.jpg

Monoclonal antibody treatments have grown since July when the FDA gave emergency approval.

Vaccine-resistant Americans are turning to the treatment with a zeal that has, at times, mystified their doctors, chasing down lengthy infusions after rejecting vaccines that cost one-hundredth as much. Orders have exploded so quickly this summer — to 168,000 doses per week in late August, up from 27,000 in July — that the Biden administration warned states this week of a dwindling national supply.

Within days of his infusion, Jones had left the bedroom where he had been quarantined and returned to his work as a landscape architect. But he was still weighing whether to be vaccinated.

His doctor was pushing for the shot, he said. But the monoclonal antibodies had worked so well that he was tempted to simply return for another infusion if he caught COVID-19 again.

“If I can go get an infusion and feel as good as I do right now, man, I’d rather not take a vaccine that has just been developed,” he said. “That makes me nervous, still.”
Perhaps the infusion should be a two part deal if you’re unvaccinated?
Infusion and then return for vaccination.

Tennessee recommends vaccinated residents lose access to monoclonal antibody treatment for COVID — USA TODAY

I'm so sorry your business is still struggling. I thought that California had removed restrictions for restaurants, but that a few cities (or maybe counties) were continuing to require some restrictions. What are the rules affecting you now?

The politicians and the Entertainment Industries throw huge maskless parties.
Yes, vaccinated only.
Okay, I own a catering and restaurant business.
Winter is coming. Holidays are coming.
Even though we've just bought another 3 heaters for our patio, it can be too cold to sit outside.
If it's raining, forget about it.
So, will we be able to sit people inside a warm restaurant if they are vaccinated?
I am guessing NO.
How on earth do the rich and famous keep having indoor parties?
I am beyond frustrated.

Sadly, we are living in a different time- with a different type of mindset, which is focus on the self, almost to the exclusion of anybody else- the me me me generation has exploded -- The idea of Let's do this together as a society is a relic type of idea from the past. These are dangerous times.
I wish it were generational - that would be easier to understand. Instead, I know people from 20s with kids to and 82 year old woman who not interested in thinking about anyone outside themselves. It's baffling to me, at 58 to realize how many people just don't care about anyone else. But equally baffling how sadly lacking some are in critical thinking skills. I'm intending to make sure my grandchildren learn those skills. THAT is a me me me thing that is actually productive.

Nearly $27 million seized from the Vice President of Equatorial Guinea Teodorin Nguema Obiang Mangue will be spent on Covid-19 vaccines for the country, the US Department of Justice said in a statement Monday.

Assets confiscated include luxury vehicles and a pair of $275,000 jewel-encrusted gloves belonging to Michael Jackson.

The decision comes after a 2014 forfeiture agreement between the US and Obiang, who is accused of acquiring assets in the country with ill-gotten gains.

Mangue has disputed the claims.

Michael Jackson memorabilia will pay for Covid shots in Equatorial Guinea - CNN

Perhaps the infusion should be a two part deal if you’re unvaccinated?
Infusion and then return for vaccination.

Tennessee recommends vaccinated residents lose access to monoclonal antibody treatment for COVID — USA TODAY
After they are infected, if they survive, they will have natural immunity. It becomes a lot less important to get them vaccinated then. I fail to see the reason of rewarding them for their stupid refusal to get vaccinated by allowing them antibody treatment but not allowing it for those who did get vaccinated.

After they are infected, if they survive, they will have natural immunity. It becomes a lot less important to get them vaccinated then. I fail to see the reason of rewarding them for their stupid refusal to get vaccinated by allowing them antibody treatment but not allowing it for those who did get vaccinated.
There is debate about how long natural immunity lasts like the vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member