Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue confirmed the remains are those of Gabrielle Venora Petito, date of birth March 19, 1999. Coroner Blue’s initial determination for the manner of death is homicide. The cause of death remains pending final autopsy results.
https://twitter.com/fbidenver/status/1440421552042897415?s=21

What a pretty name, so clearly carefully chosen by her parents. :(

It seems so wrong to "like" this post, but thank you for sharing.

https://twitter.com/fbidenver/status/1440421739314384905?s=21

BREAKING:
#UPDATE: Investigators from #FBIDenver, National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Teton County Sheriff’s Ofc, Teton County Search & Rescue, and Jackson Police Dept searched for evidence in a remote area of Grand Teton National Park & Bridger-Teton National Forest.

On Sunday, Sept. 19, 2021, human remains were located & recovered consistent with the description of Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito. The remains were transported to the Teton County Coroner’s Office for forensic examination to confirm identity & determine the manner & cause of death.

#FBIDenver appreciates the collaboration of all agencies and personnel who assisted in the search, recovery, and identification efforts. @NatlParkService @forestservice @GrandTetonNPS @BridgerTetonNF

https://twitter.com/fbidenver/status/1440422513305997312?s=21
Every time we go through this I keep hoping up to this moment that the person is somehow alive. This always makes it so final. I expect we'll soon see an arrest warrant for Brian.

I played around with paint (my very rudimentary copy and pasting skills) for some comparison.

The backpack was the first thing that caught my eye when I saw the trail cam picture early this morning.

Good job

LE seemed pretty quick and confident on discounting this lead...but sure seems like a better clue than the Carlton preserve they're combing through.

Guess I'll drop it but thanks for your help Shibbles

Moot point or not, people are asking for repostings or for those who did see her body to find it and repost (see for example #645), I feel like you can be curious about details and not try to find footage of her remains...JMO Totally okay if we disagree on this, but wanted to see if this is a fairly normal experience as this is my first time actively following threads (and try to report them if it's not allowed so that this thread doesn't get shut down).

I think it's fairly normal. I recall the same thing happening on the JJ and Tylee thread when their remains were found. I'm always glad the photos are just thumbnails, and I don't click them to see clearer.

Like you, it's not my thing, but I understand how others might be interested.

Pretty sure that black item on the ground is an FBI agent or LE. The helicoptor was flying around and from another angle there was a man in a black jacket crouched over something on the ground for a long period of time, seemingly examining it. Here is another angle of that black object (I think) which in this photo is more clearly a kneeling man looking at something.

it looks like something (maybe GP) leaning up against something to me.
Was there something black from the top of the van missing?
Makes sense for BL to leave GP slightly obscured under the tree rather than more exposed where the tent is.

Thoughts and prayers to Gabby’s family at this horrendous time.

I'm going to answer my own question posted earlier, about whether she was found near the location where her van was spotted and videoed by a couple driving through the park. There's a youtube talk show by a former NYC detective, who brought a former prosecutor and a former cop onto his show to discuss this case. In the beginning, they address the question of her location. They say without a doubt, that couple contacting authorities with their info about where they saw the van enabled them to find her.

Snipped by me.

The Bethunes and the part they played in this are going to stay with me for a long while. Not just because another van-life v-logging couple were the means of cracking the case and finding her, but also that they started their RV life as a way to deal with the loss of one of their own children, Ethan. The day they filmed the van was actually the anniversary of his death. I keep thinking of how Jenn Bethune said that when Gabby's mother called to thank her, they cried together in a way that only mothers who have lost children could understand.

God bless the Bethunes for their sharp eyes and willingness to help, and God bless Jenn Bethune for being able to bring comfort to Gabby's mother during such a terrible time. The world sometimes seems full of evil, but there is divine grace and mercy for our suffering hearts.

Just to clarify--it was her own family who said they'd make a statement when she's home (not his family).
The outright audacity of invoking that young woman's family and using the return of her lifeless body as a milestone moment to open their trap for revealing absolutely nothing of importance - is disgusting.

Every time we go through this I keep hoping up to this moment that the person is somehow alive. This always makes it so final. I expect we'll soon see an arrest warrant for Brian.

Yes, that's human nature. We logically know how it likely is, but we hold on to the tiniest shred of hope--hoping to see a miracle.

Totally off-topic really but you’ve reminded me of a headscratcher of a USA/Canada border quirk! Take a peek on a map at Angle Inlet, and imagine what it’s like living there, Fort St Charles, Penasse, Flag Island or Oak Island…

I doubt BL made it that far.

I will say.....we go to that area frequently. Many people vacation in that area and would love to live there. Some of the best fishing you will ever experience all year long.

This guy is doing a little too much press IMO.
Considering his son was murdered and decapitated in Hollywood, FL. His son's murderer was never captured, only speculated to be a known drifter in the area.

His life's mission is to capture guys like BL. His actions led to the enactment of the Missing Children's Act in 1984. The "Code Adam" you hear in Walmart, this was put in place as a result of the things for which he advocated. In 2006, the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act was signed. This created a national database for known child predators.

I think he's got a pretty good reason, and good things could come from his notoriety.

IMO not a person. If you zoom in you can see the strap handle at the top of the bag

I zoomed way in with Photoshop. I see a man in a black jacket wearing a grey hoodie under his jacket. I see two feet sticking out below his jacket, where they'd be if he was kneeling. I see his arm on the left. I had another photo of the same guy standing up a bit later but sorry I seem to have deleted it. That black object is a man kneeling over something on the ground. This is a much worse photo but it shows other guys wearing the same outfit, some have hats on, some have on the same black jacket.

Attachments

• GabbyPic2.png
    GabbyPic2.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 264
From the start, we heard over and over that the authorities' hands were tied. They didn't have probable cause. The Laundrie family had rights that were protecting them.

I'm starting to doubt much of that and wondering about the legalities involved.

The facts are:

This was a woman officially named as "missing person."

A man was found with her vehicle.

This man was at her place of residence with her car.

Considering those facts, I don't understand why there couldnt be more done, such as a search of her residence, or bringing BL in for suspicion and questioning since he was in possession of a vehicle owned by a missing woman.

It is difficult to know what the legal requirements are for a search warrant and it may even vary by judge.

How I see it is that a missing person does not imply a crime. Without a crime it seems it would be difficult to obtain a search warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa