Found Safe UK - Antonino Coppola, 23, from Richmond, Surrey, missing from Bow, East London, 16 Sep 2021

Last edited:
Antonino Coppola’s case has just featured on Chi l’ha visto, an Italian national TV programme about missing people. In brief:
  • On 16 Sept, approx 1pm, AC was travelling on the tube with a friend. They were moving to a new house and were carrying suitcases;
  • When he felt unwell, they got off the train and the friend stayed on the platform with the luggage whilst AC went looking for a toilet;
  • 20 mins later, the friend started to get worried and went out looking for him. He then alerted the family (unclear if friend speaks English and if he alerted anyone at the station);
  • CCTV shows AC exiting the station, looking unwell and turning right, but no sign of him after that;
  • On TV they showed a photo of the black backpack he was carrying when he disappeared;
  • AC was a happy guy and had no problems except that a week earlier he had had an asthma attack and was taken to hospital;
  • His father and brother have gone to London looking for him;
  • AC speaks good English and lived in Australia for 6 months when he was 18/19. He’s lived in London for the last 2 years.
The live programme was from Positano, not London, with his mother and many family and friends present.

I can’t put a link because the programme is still on but I will do as soon as they make it available on streaming

That's really helpful, thank you. So we know he definitely turned right, to the east. That also answers the question of what the journey was all about and why they had so much baggage.

I think leaving his friend in the lurch like that suggests either that he was really very unwell, or that some other incident occurred on the street. The asthma attack earlier in the week is something to think about, but the other tiny detail that stands out to me is the thing about him wearing his grandparents' wedding ring, which seems to me like the sort of item you would resist handing over in a street robbery because of the sentimental value, with perhaps catastrophic results. Either way, a worrying picture.

That's really helpful, thank you. So we know he definitely turned right, to the east. That also answers the question of what the journey was all about and why they had so much baggage.

I think leaving his friend in the lurch like that suggests either that he was really very unwell, or that some other incident occurred on the street. The asthma attack earlier in the week is something to think about, but the other tiny detail that stands out to me is the thing about him wearing his grandparents' wedding ring, which seems to me like the sort of item you would resist handing over in a street robbery because of the sentimental value, with perhaps catastrophic results. Either way, a worrying picture.
Can someone who is good with navigation please screen print a map showing the directions he would have taken as I think my directions to Three Mills may be a red herring.

That's a really good thought actually. Many years ago I had appendicitis. It started as tummy ache and feeling sick but within hours my appendix actually burst and I was really poorly. I have a feeling he may have collapsed in alleyway nearby and has just not yet been found. If he was feeling unwell I doubt he managed to get very far.

I honestly thing the Cemetary Park needs searching (as suggested by someone else on here). I only really think this since hearing he turned right out of the station - there is a small section of wall (easily climbed over by a 6 foot person) that is an edge of the park. Its full of trees. A good place to nip to if you felt unwell and needed privacy to be unwell if you couldn't find a toilet.

Last edited:
Antonino Coppola’s case has just featured on Chi l’ha visto, an Italian national TV programme about missing people. In brief:
  • On 16 Sept, approx 1pm, AC was travelling on the tube with a friend. They were moving to a new house and were carrying suitcases;
  • When he felt unwell, they got off the train and the friend stayed on the platform with the luggage whilst AC went looking for a toilet;
  • 20 mins later, the friend started to get worried and went out looking for him. He then alerted the family (unclear if friend speaks English and if he alerted anyone at the station);
  • CCTV shows AC exiting the station, looking unwell and turning right, but no sign of him after that;
  • On TV they showed a photo of the black backpack he was carrying when he disappeared;
  • AC was a happy guy and had no problems except that a week earlier he had had an asthma attack and was taken to hospital;
  • AC speaks good English and lived in Australia for 6 months when he was 18/19. He’s lived in London for the last 2 years.
The live programme was from Positano, not London, with his mother and many family and friends present.

I can’t put a link because the programme is still on but I will do as soon as they make it available on streaming

Oh that is really really helpful information and thank you for watching it and giving us the information. So they were both moving house, that is really interesting. He must have fallen seriously ill somewhere or be locked in somewhere accidentally having gone to be ill somewhere. Did they say if they've checked the railway arches (turn right out of station then right again into side street) or the Cemetery Park ?

I was reading reviews of the pub and the petrol station (when you turn right). The petrol station had a review that said in the past (I forget when but not this year) a gang of boys on bikes had surrounded customers and demanded petrol. Why would a gang of boys want petrol? Again, to reiterate, this was not from this year.

The location three mills is not too far away from the tube station. Three Mills - Wikipedia
A playground is nearby which may have public toilets. There is always the possibility that AC collapsed near some water and fell in so his body is yet to be found :(

Photo 4 of 6 in this link shows an area of water which would be easy to fall into. All the rest appears to be fenced around.
Urban Sketchers London: Let's draw Three Mills Island - Sunday 20 May 2018

I think if he was acutely ill he would be more local to the train station

I can't put maps up so someone else please do so, but if you go onto Google Earth and go to the very end of Tidworth Road (close to the end of Wellington Way) you come to the section of wall as the side/rear of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park. At his height he could easily get over that wall. JMO MOO.

There is a building called Consul House on Tidworth Road (next to the arches with single steel doors)/ It has flats inside and has a security camera and outside lights. I wonder if LE have asked to view their footage? This is very close to the wall I keep referencing on edge of Cemetary park.

If you click on the link to Cemetery Park on google maps the photos show total mess in there amongst the very old graves. Totally overgrown. IMO this park needs a thorough search. JMO

The other thing is there are so many small businesses in the railway arches - many of which have metal shipping style storage containers outside too. (Tidworth Road and Eleanor Street). Could he be there somewhere? JMO MOO

Last edited:
The red shoes and the height definitely stands out as potentially him. My question is where exactly is this, especially as we know he turned right. (Though he could double back). I can't see a black back pack though.

Sorry @Officer Dibble, I didn't answer this when you asked earlier because I figured it couldn't be him if he'd been seen turning right out of the tube station.

The CCTV grab I posted earlier is on Bow Road, about 150m to the west (left) of the tube station. This is it on google streetview: Google Maps
('My' man is in almost exactly the same spot as the cyclist on streetview.)

I'm minded to discount it now we know he didn't go that way, tbh, and equally I can't see that he'd be likely to end up on Wellington Way or in Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, both of which would also require turning left.

If I retrace his footsteps on streetview as if turning right out of the tube station, the first thing I see is the newsagent's kiosk. In his shoes, with the area looking so unpromising, I think I would stick my head in and ask where the nearest toilet was, and I'm pretty sure the answer would be the magistrates' court a couple of yards further along (or perhaps he would have seen that without asking at the kiosk). If he was feeling so ill he was panicking, that might also be somewhere he'd expect to find help, probably even a first aider. So that would be my best guess of where he went initially. You would run into all sorts at the magistrates' court though, and that might have dictated what happened next.

Would there be CCTV in a court building? Streetview doesn't seem to show cameras on the exterior, which is a bit of a surprise tbh: Google Maps

Last edited:

A lot of decent and new info there - though poses further questions:

Was Bow the destination? Or just quickly got off there when feeling ill?

Was he familiar with the area? If they were moving there, presumably he had been at least once before?

The asthma is a new slant. Was he on medication for it, did he have an inhaler? Could a bad attack have overcome him somewhere?

If he came out of station and turned right onto the A11 Bow Road, that would lead away from the Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park I was thinking off up thread, unless doubled back. I think he may have turned off into one of the side streets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210923-021355_Twitter-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210923-021355_Twitter-01.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi all,
I have joined the websleuths just to find Antonino. I am from his same town in Italy and live in London. I know his family and want to help you guys here to help them. I will give you some more info which was shared on the Italian tv yesterday and was confirmed by his mother.
antonino lives in London for two years and together with his friend on the 16/09 they were moving houses. (From Richmond to somewhere else which I don’t know). They were on the tube travelling to the new home with all their lugguage and belongings. At Bow Road station Antonino says to his friend that he is not feeling well, he wants to be sick, needs to throw up, so they both get off the train. His friend waits for him on the platform with all the lugguage, whilst Antonino goes off looking for a bathroom. He’s seen by cctv at the station exiting the station and turning right. From the cctv footage it was clear he was unwell, his mum confirms. After 20 minutes waiting on the platform his friend starts calling him and alerts family and other friends they had in London. Since then he’s been missing. He was definitely wearing white t shirt, black trousers and orange Nike air max trainers, he was also carrying a black leather (I would say stylish) backpack with his documents and wallet. He was also wearing a ring on his little finger on his left hand. The ring is engraved with his name and a date (it was a wedding ring from his grandparents). He has various tattoos. He speaks English fluently after two years in London, also when he was 19 he went to Australia for 6 months.
One week before disappearing Antonino was taken to hospital because of an asthma attack where he had forgotten his pump at home. He was discharged straight away after given pump and being monitored.
I really don’t know what police are doing, but definitely not the same resources that they used for Richard okonogheye disappeared in Epping forest. I am so annoyed and concerned.
Please anybody here help!!!!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Were there issues in the relationship with his friend- was he looking to escape an awkward situation by feigning illness? Seems unlikely that he would leave all his belongings behind although he does have his backpack with him containing his essential documents/ wallet I assume.

Does he have a phone with him, wonder if the police could trace it, or track whether any calls were made? Similarly, whether any bank cards have been used?

Hi @Positano86. Thank you for joining our thread and welcome.

Just to clear one thing up, do you know where they would have got off the tube if Antonino hadn't felt ill? It's been said he lived at Richmond, but was that the new place they were moving to or his previous address? It probably doesn't make any difference, but would help us visualise the journey and what led up to his disappearance.

My strong advice to you and Antonino's family is to approach anyone and everyone who might have CCTV in the area. If you have people in London, I would literally send them door to door to ask at businesses and private homes for security footage and to look for door cams, as much of that may well be overwritten by the time the police get around to asking. Also approach organisations that will only deal with the police, like Transport for London for bus cam footage (he was on the route for the 25 bus) and the magistrates' court on Bow Road. They won't share images with you but if you alert them to the likelihood of a police request it may help preserve the footage.

And speak to the media, which is how Sarah Everard and Richard Okorogheye's cases reached such prominence. Media people use Twitter so tweet every news outlet you can. MyLondon, which is part of the Mirror Group of papers, is very responsive to this sort of incident and may kickstart a bigger media reaction.

Very sorry for all the worry you must be going through right now.

Hi all,
I have joined the websleuths just to find Antonino. I am from his same town in Italy and live in London. I know his family and want to help you guys here to help them. I will give you some more info which was shared on the Italian tv yesterday and was confirmed by his mother.
antonino lives in London for two years and together with his friend on the 16/09 they were moving houses. (From Richmond to somewhere else which I don’t know). They were on the tube travelling to the new home with all their lugguage and belongings. At Bow Road station Antonino says to his friend that he is not feeling well, he wants to be sick, needs to throw up, so they both get off the train. His friend waits for him on the platform with all the lugguage, whilst Antonino goes off looking for a bathroom. He’s seen by cctv at the station exiting the station and turning right. From the cctv footage it was clear he was unwell, his mum confirms. After 20 minutes waiting on the platform his friend starts calling him and alerts family and other friends they had in London. Since then he’s been missing. He was definitely wearing white t shirt, black trousers and orange Nike air max trainers, he was also carrying a black leather (I would say stylish) backpack with his documents and wallet. He was also wearing a ring on his little finger on his left hand. The ring is engraved with his name and a date (it was a wedding ring from his grandparents). He has various tattoos. He speaks English fluently after two years in London, also when he was 19 he went to Australia for 6 months.
One week before disappearing Antonino was taken to hospital because of an asthma attack where he had forgotten his pump at home. He was discharged straight away after given pump and being monitored.
I really don’t know what police are doing, but definitely not the same resources that they used for Richard okonogheye disappeared in Epping forest. I am so annoyed and concerned.
Thank you!
Great to have you on board @Positano86 Could you communicate to family and friends who are looking for him in London the suggestions from members of this forum? There are some excellent people on here (not me unfortunately) who can find out all sorts through online maps etc. Plus Londoners and people familiar with the area.

It’s very helpful that you’ve been able to confirm what was said on Chi L’ha Visto last night.

Please keep us up to date if there are any news and feel free to PM me in Italian any time.

Hi all,
Thank you!
Welcome Positano.

Do you know if any of his friends have searched for him around the immediate vicinity of the station?

I feel inclined to take a trip there to look myself, even to see if there are signs of someone having thrown up behind a tree, or to look behind walls and community wheelie bins etc, unless they've already pretty much covered it.

Also do you know if he knew the area?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back