Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, another FYI... NOT applicable is in cases of child abuse.
Which is just ludicrous IMO. That exemption not applicable in cases of child abuse but if you were to help a murderer of a child's parent escape justice because you're related to the murderer...well that's ok, you're exempt!? Because you know killing a child's parent isn't outright abusing their child right?

Edit for focus question:
Is their not adding and abetting charges for relatives of criminals in FL at all? Only if the crime involves a child firsthand?

I think the text message to Mom on that day (27th) is most likely shortly after the time of death. But I haven't been able to figure out when that message was sent.

You would think Gabby if texting her mother that day after the restaurant incident she would've mentioned it or wanted to confide in her mother, from what I can tell that is not what the message that was sent was about (among other oddities like the 'Stan' issue).

BL probably killed her and went into panic mode and immediately tried to give some form of 'fake' contact to the mother to avoid suspicion, not realizing that the mom really had no reason to be suspicious (at that point anyway) and his act itself would set off the red flags.

Or maybe GP's grandfather was actively calling while whatever transpired and in a frenzy he was trying to make it stop without too much thought to wording

So IF they did take that camping trip as the neighbor reported, it would have been between 9/11-9/14 based off of this LE call sheet.

I wonder if the neighbor was told they were going camping or just assumed? Interesting either way.

Couldn't be the 11th because the police were there the night of the 11th into the 12th. Media had started showing up at the house on the 13th, I think. I couldn't find footage of a reporter there before the 13th.

Well, NuttMegg, I'm really liking your new (isn't it?) avatar picture!! (Still chuckling!) Chomp, chomp!
-------------------​
This morning I was late, of course, to the world of online and WS. As I started reading, thinking the FBI was possibly seeking a body, I thought to myself, "I hope he is dead." And then I thought what an awful thing to say -- about anyone. I then asked for forgiveness. This is what this ~man~ has done to make me think that way, but I'm over it now. Grrrrr.
On another note, what a Great Time we would all have if we see him in handcuffs and leg chains, heavily bearded and skinny, and scared to death. (Flashback to Ted Bundy when he was caught after his first jail break...). SOON!
Let's think positive for the FBI's hard work and for all the others who have been working on this search.
For Gabby. :)
I know, juvenile isn't it!! That guy is from the Cretaceous, 31 ft long, weighing 4 tons. I don't think there are any in Florida, if there ever were. (OT) I don't want anyone to die, but I also don't want to see a trial bashing Gabby. Same as I didn't want a trial bashing Shan'ann.

Maybe BL will follow Watts' footsteps and confess to it all "so his lawyers don't have to lie for 2 years".

I've followed so many tragedies over the years, but this is almost Shakesperian. People often talk about the benefit of hindsight, but hindsight here is a curse, it's painful and getting harder and harder to read. It's becoming increasingly clear that it really wasn't Gabby who was falling apart (which most of us already knew), it was Brian.

He was becoming angrier by the day and Gabby was stuck in a tiny space with him, hundreds of miles from home, 24/7.

Reading about the incident at the restaurant made me cry, because I think this was the petrol on an already raging fire. Poor kind Gabby, always trying to make things better, went back to apologise to the staff and got back in the van with someone who was apoplectic. Brian would have seen this as a humiliation and betrayal. She didn't back him up.

This incident is also important because Brian was arguing with a hostess. I have no idea the gender of the manager, but we've seen how Brian interacts with men and we now have more details on how he interacts with women. It's a shame the female police officer/ranger didn't speak to him on the police stop, because that may have set the alarm bells ringing so loudly as to be deafening even to the police officer.

I don't think Gabby was alive for much longer after this. I think they argued in the van, or more accurately, he terrorised her, possibly to the point of him hurting her. She tried to run away, maybe jumping out of a moving vehicle, leaving him trying to park in a rage.

Gabby ran away from the road, thinking he would have caught up with her and run her over, but there's no cover in that area and he caught up with her and killed her. Her death may or not have been pre-meditated as such, but I think a beating was and I think he beat her, kicked her and possibly worse until she didn't make a sound. That's cold blooded murder.

Brian and his family need to spend the rest of their miserable lives in a cell.

I've had that same thought. Is that part mostly "bike-able" -- for those who know -- even after lots of rain?
Doesn’t even have to be in that area of the reserve but parked there and biked away. Or left the bike somewhere to be retrieved at some point. I think he could blend in if biking along roads because people aren’t looking out for that, and are so focused on the location the car was found.

True. But, he’s also 23. in my experience they can get more bold with age.

or on long, confined social media driven trip where he has plenty of unobserved time to let his anger out more and more without it being seen by anyone but GP. Until it grew so commonplace that it was now slipping out in more public places.

Someone else thought it was less than respectful to call her dog lady, which I started. No one remembers names like that. Van lady vs blue heeler lady vs tik tok lady, versus restaurant lady, vs whoever saw them at that lake person. We always use respectful nicknames. Betcha no one remembers all those names, plus the guys that were involved in those sightings, who have had their names reported too.

Without looking anything up, I can tell you the Bethune family captured the van on video, Nina Angelo and her boyfriend Matt England witnessed the argument at The Merry Piglets, and Jessica Schultz noticed Brian 'acting weird.' I'm not sure why it is difficult to refer to people to their actual names, especially when it helps prevent confusion about who sighted what and when, IMO.

IMO the BL' lawyer is playing it smart (as cruel as it is). If BL is guilty, he is waiting to see what evidence is there. He didn't even know if and when the body would be found. Would evidence point to murder? LE has a huge task putting evidence together. If it weren't for the explosion of interest in the case, their amount of effort would have been less and probably a little more sloppy.

IMO the part that he didn't plan on was the amount of camera and personal siting that placed the locations, and the amount of interest.

MOO

I don't know. If your client is missing and not charged with anything, why can't the parents act like he's a victim, too?

Hey all, I have a hypothetical..

Yesterday I was reading in some MSM articles about BL's social media and they were trawling through past posts of his and picked up on a post of his about 'autistic burnout'.

"About five weeks ago, a post in a folder titled “Bleak” referred to the book “Burnt Out: How to Cope with Autistic Burnout,” according to the news outlet."

You can read it here: Brian Laundrie alleged cryptic messages on Pinterest

My question is.. If it is indeed the case that BL is autistic or on the spectrum in some way, does anyone know if there has been previous legal precedent where this has been used as a defence in a criminal case?

Could a defence lawyer argue, for example, that BL was not culpable on the grounds of diminished responsibility due to an autism diagnosis?

Hypotheticals and MOO

Yes, relatively recently in Toronto. A man with ASD killed 10 and injured 16 in a premeditated mass-murder with a van on a busy Toronto street.

He tried to claim he was criminally not responsible based on his Autism diagnosis. It was ruled that it played no part.

“During his six-week judge-alone trial over Zoom late last year, the 28-year-old's lawyers argued that Minassian should be found not criminally responsible (NCR) for his actions due to his Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) diagnosis.

A person is found NCR if they were suffering from a mental disorder that rendered them “incapable of appreciating the nature and quality of the act or omission or of knowing that it was wrong” under Sec. 16 of the Criminal Code.

It is believed to be the first time ASD has been used as the sole diagnosis for an NCR defence in a murder trial in Canada and the onus was on the defence to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.” https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/toronto/2021/3/3/1_5331506.html

Florida law doesn't matter if he is charged with murder by the feds. 18 U.S.C. 3 is clear that anyone who knowingly provides comfort or aid to someone who committed a crime against the United States (like federal murder) can be charged as an accessory after the fact.

Even if BL is in the swamps and prepared to stay there for 6+weeks, I don’t think he is prepared to live there. At some point, he will emerge from hiding. I do not believe he can go the rest of his life without communicating with his parents. I think LE knows this and will be waiting. JMO

I don't think he's in a swamp. I think his parents took him some place else on that earlier camper trip, noted by the neighbor - and to my knowledge, that information is fairly new. Wasn't it yesterday that it was published?

I think it's much more likely he's in a place better suited to long term hiding out. In fact, didn't the parents initially say that BL wasn't missing, but "hiding"?

They took off for 3 days, according to the neighbor. It's about 10 hours to get to the AT trailhead from North Port.

If his hand tattoo was in fact done with one of those tattoo ink markers, then that's no longer an identifying trait. I bet they picked up some hair dye/hair bleach. His eyebrows are distinctive, although usually covered with sunglasses (he'd have new ones if he's really trying to hide out).

I'm not sure what the point of all of this is, from the parents' pov or his, if that's what happened.

I await the arrest warrant (which I think will be a Federal warrant) and we'll see what happens next.

Would that apply in a federal case?

Oh no, not at all! Federal charges could definitely be made. It's not clear if the Feds have interviewed the parents yet, but I'm sure they'll want to if they decide to file an arrest warrant for BL. Federal law is such a specific specialization, I have no clue whether they'll charge parents based on the parents' assistance of BL before he becomes an official fugitive, though.

It will certainly impede the parents from going to meet BL here and there, if that's what they're doing, as I suspect their car will get a GPS monitor from the Feds if the Feds think they're aiding him.

Without looking anything up, I can tell you the Bethune family captured the van on video, Nina Angelo and her boyfriend Matt England witnessed the argument at The Merry Piglets, and Jessica Schultz noticed Brian 'acting weird.' I'm not sure why it is difficult to refer to people to their actual names, especially when it helps prevent confusion about who sighted what and when, IMO.
I'm not here day and night to memorize the first and last names of all the people who are attached to the case. Quick...who are the neighbors? I'm following what we've done for at least 15 years. If you say, here on this thread, most of those names you'll have to, IMO, include the qualifiers just like you did here! Anyway, is this a big deal?

My son is missing.
1. Where are the parents pleading for information about his whereabouts?
2. Where is their offer of a reward or some incentive to contact LE?
3. Where are their daily updates about their last known knowledge of his whereabouts?
*crickets*
But what could they possibly say to make people look for their son more than they are now? No need to get the attention of the media or the community. But I do agree that the bigger problem of not telling what they do and do not know about Gabby's demise and BL's disappearance is awful.

I think the text message to Mom on that day (27th) is most likely shortly after the time of death. But I haven't been able to figure out when that message was sent.

You would think Gabby if texting her mother that day after the restaurant incident she would've mentioned it or wanted to confide in her mother, from what I can tell that is not what the message that was sent was about (among other oddities like the 'Stan' issue).

BL probably killed her and went into panic mode and immediately tried to give some form of 'fake' contact to the mother to avoid suspicion, not realizing that the mom really had no reason to be suspicious (at that point anyway) and his act itself would set off the red flags.

I don't think so. If you want your parents to like your beau, you don't tell them when he's acting badly. Now, you would tell them if he left you alone in a state for a week. So I just wonder why her parents never mention that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288