AZ AZ - James Daniels Jr, 42, from WY, moving friend w/refrig trk b/w Kingman & Wickenburg 21 Aug 2021

I have so many questions @GonzoGirl5 and I hope they’re not annoying. Feel free to answer or not, I know you are here to find help with finding your friend, but as they say the little details can help.

1. How long had James known this guy?

2. Where did the refrigerated truck come from / how did they end up having it?

3. Why did it not have a license plate? This raises major red flags for me. Using a truck like this for such a long trip, it seems almost guaranteed that you’d get pulled over, the truck would be impounded, and there goes the whole plan. I’m wondering why the friend would have put James in this position? Why wasn’t the friend driving the truck? What was James getting out of this? It seems like such a massive favor for a friend.

4. Why did the friend have so much stuff that he needed to fill a 28’ truck and a trailer? This seems odd to me for a single man moving across the country.

5. Did the friend go to the hospital for his broken foot? If so, could the staff be asked about how that went down and if he had any other injuries etc?

I guess what I’m getting at is that this seems like such a bizarre scenario to begin with that I’m wondering if finding some of the answers to these questions will help shed some light onto how or why James disappeared.

I’m sorry you’ve not had much help from authorities. They may be going by the “he’s an adult and has the right to go off on his own without telling anyone of his whereabouts” stance.

If you can find evidence of foul play they may become more involved. I agree with contacting Lordan Arts first and foremost…I think that will bring attention to the case.

… It does not make sense why they were on hwy 93 in the first place seeing as how they were driving from California to Mississippi. Hwy 93 heads south directly away from the interstate that would have taken them straight to Mississippi. 8

Yes, that’s very strange. It looks like they were heading to Phoenix instead for some reason. Maybe to see the friend the guy stayed with? Or other friends. Is there anyone else in the Phoenix area you could talk to who knows JD or the other guy?

How well do these 2 men know each other? MOO
They have known each other since they were kids. I am surprised that I do not know AD, more than likely I would know who he was if I saw him but I don't. Everyone I know does however; I left that town a long, long time ago. It is a very small town when it comes down to it. JD and I remained friends along with a few others.

How well do these 2 men know each other? MOO
They have known each other since they were kids. I am surprised that I do not know AD, more than likely I would know who he was if I saw him but I don't. Everyone I know does however; I left that town a long, long time ago. It is a very small town when it comes down to it. JD and I remained friends along with a few others.
I have so many questions @GonzoGirl5 and I hope they’re not annoying. Feel free to answer or not, I know you are here to find help with finding your friend, but as they say the little details can help.

1. How long had James known this guy?
I am going to write bold as to make it easier for you and others to differentiate.
James has known him since the were kids/grade school.

2. Where did the refrigerated truck come from / how did they end up having it?
The refrigerated truck came from AD. He had purchased it not long before the move for the purpose of the move. He lived on the Nevada side and think he was intending on just registering it when he got to mississippi as opposed to having to pay for it twice. Which to me and most other seems like a poor decision. So, in moving across the country he needed to take his own vehicle with a trailer in tow and in addition; the 2007 international truck loaded with his belongings.
3. Why did it not have a license plate? This raises major red flags for me. Using a truck like this for such a long trip, it seems almost guaranteed that you’d get pulled over, the truck would be impounded, and there goes the whole plan. I’m wondering why the friend would have put James in this position? Why wasn’t the friend driving the truck? What was James getting out of this? It seems like such a massive favor for a friend.
Agreed, red flags for certain. But, as far as I and anyone else that knew one, the other or both JD and AD there was no ill intent involved on either side. JD flew all the way from Wyoming just to help his friend move. I am pretty sure as well that JD had no drivers license. I do not know how they thought they would get past every weigh station on the way. The truck was not impounded util someone called the state troopers claiming there was a man in the road that looked disoriented. The truck at that time was at mile marker 164, roughly 3o miles from where railer was. AD was driving his pick up with a trailer that was; again, having flat tire issues and for most people with no experience driving with a trailer in town it can be pretty intimidating. BUT, there was a text from JD to a friend of his back in Tahoe that he had texted with on the 21st at 11:53 pm that said he " had to hang up because HE was driving a truck with a trailer that has a flat" I attached the screenshot of this. So, that would be the 21st. Also AD claims that JD was driving the truck when on the 21st after the tire had been fixed in Kingman per a receipt from the TA acquired on the 20th. Image also attached to thread. So I have questions since I know the interstates as well as Kingman, AZ. What in the heck were they doing on hwy 93?! There is no reason for it. AND according to AD he left JD on the side of hwy 93 on the 21st around sunset. He says he dropped the trailer and took his truck leaving JD, the dog and the big truck on the side of the road so that he could go fix the tire and come back. This is his story. I honestly do not know if it is true and do not want to make someone appear to be guilty when I do not have the right to do so. I am simply telling you what I know for facts as I have been given by those involved. JD was at mile marker 142 or somewhere in the 140's. The truck was removed from the highway on the 22nd at approx 4:50am is what the trooper told me about 30 miles south of the trailer which the trooper stated he saw there. The trooper was unaware of the truck being involved in a missing persons case until I located it and his contact info. The truck was found with the roll up door in the back open, the dog running out into the desert away from the trooper. I was told there were no signs of foul play but that it looked as if someone had been hanging out in the back with a little spot cleared away with a gameboy or something there. Again, why in the world were they even on hwy 93 and why i nthe world would they keep going south. I do not know much at all about the call to the highway patrol, who they were or what they said besides a person a male in the road. I do not know how long they were there on the call but they were not there when the trooper arrived.

4. Why did the friend have so much stuff that he needed to fill a 28’ truck and a trailer? This seems odd to me for a single man moving across the country.
You are correct. It does seem odd. Along with the fact that AD was back on I-40 in a few days time and sold some of the things on his trailer at a pawn shop in Holbrook AZ. THEN he was in Moriarty NM where he sold the entire trailer and anything left on it. So continues the mystery of HWY 93!

5. Did the friend go to the hospital for his broken foot? If so, could the staff be asked about how that went down and if he had any other injuries etc?
As far as I know AD did not go to the hospital for the broken foot. Also the broken foot scenario came about many versions into his timeline being told.

I guess what I’m getting at is that this seems like such a bizarre scenario to begin with that I’m wondering if finding some of the answers to these questions will help shed some light onto how or why James disappeared.
Agreed one hundred percent with bizzare. I hope that some of what I have explained will help to maybe see what I have been looking at and possibly some attention will be turned in the direction it should be. There is way MORE about this AD and his course of action directly following JD's disappearance. Very odd things still.

I’m sorry you’ve not had much help from authorities. They may be going by the “he’s an adult and has the right to go off on his own without telling anyone of his whereabouts” stance.
I think they may have had that stance until the truck was found and his cell phone pinged as well as my relentless pestering and eventual connection with the Wyoming detective who was ultimately the one to get the ball at least in the direction of rolling. It has now been a month to the day and nothing. Why no cell phone records being searched? I mean, that would put an end to any questions of the validity of his friends story as well as the last known actual location of my friend.

If you can find evidence of foul play they may become more involved. I agree with contacting Lordan Arts first and foremost…I think that will bring attention to the case.
I sent him an email yesterday and hope to hear back, I really do. Thanks for your thoughtful questions. I appreciate it. Maybe I just needed to vent a little. I also have a ton more but do not want to overwhelm with information.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 4.23.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 4.23.31 AM.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 138
@GonzoGirl5 , do we have a thread for your missing cousin? I think we have one for the grandmother missing in 1956, don't we?

Did the friend -- the person moving -- file a report with LE listing what was missing from the box truck?

Another poster suggested a YouTube channel. A friend of mine listens to the podcasts True Crime Garage and Crime Junkie. I am old and unfamiliar with this type of media but there might be some help for Mr. Daniels there?

jmho ymmv lrr
I am unaware of a thread for my Grandmother. It would have been out of Wayne County MI 1956. Also, I doubt there is one for my cousin as it seems her side of the family has just sort of let her go. There is obviously more to it but short story, she needs some mental help and never sought it the family was tired of burned bridges and just stopped communications with her. But, since you mention it, I should and will start one for her. I am new to Websleuths and learning the ropes slowly but steadily.

I am unaware of a thread for my Grandmother. It would have been out of Wayne County MI 1956. Also, I doubt there is one for my cousin as it seems her side of the family has just sort of let her go. There is obviously more to it but short story, she needs some mental help and never sought it the family was tired of burned bridges and just stopped communications with her. But, since you mention it, I should and will start one for her. I am new to Websleuths and learning the ropes slowly but steadily.

If you're up for it, you know we'd get to work on your cousin & Grandma!

(There is a thread here, 2 or 3 kids came home from school, Mom was gone. Thought that might be your people?)

jmho ymmv lrr

If you're up for it, you know we'd get to work on your cousin & Grandma!

(There is a thread here, 2 or 3 kids came home from school, Mom was gone. Thought that might be your people?)

jmho ymmv lrr
I would love more than anything to find out what happened to my grandmother in 1956. I have quite a bit of information that I have put together. I also have what I think is a solid theory of what happened to her. I want to be able to tell my Father what happened to his Mother when he was so young before he passes away. He is 81 with stage 4 COPD/Emphysema and just underwent an entire knee replacement two weeks ago. He lives in Michigan where he was raised, I was born and raised in CA and have never been to Michigan. If life were a beautiful thing I would go there to see him for the first time in the 20 years he has lived out there with answers about his mother. I just this year saw pictures of her for the first time that he sent me. Maybe you are right. I should start a thread. Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your kindness.

Yes, that’s very strange. It looks like they were heading to Phoenix instead for some reason. Maybe to see the friend the guy stayed with? Or other friends. Is there anyone else in the Phoenix area you could talk to who knows JD or the other guy?
Ok, so the plot thicken with this question. A mutual friend of the both of then fro the same town who has known JD since grade school and AD for 12 years has a daughter that lives in the Phoenix area. This friend of ours suggested; before knowing that JD was really missing and not just seperated from AD, that he go to her house since he was all the way down in Wickenburg at this point. To which he agreed and was to arrive there that afternoon. The 22nd. But he never showed up that day. The next day around 8 or 9 am the mutual friend received a message stating he would be there in an hour and to let her daughter know. When asked why he did not show he claims to have been "getting the trailer down off the mountain" and that he broke his cell phone by running over it on accident and broke his foot as well.......... He arrives at the daughters house and proceeds to do his laundry, take a shower and slept, woke up, drank a shot of whiskey, took a shower, washed his clothes again and went back to sleep. The mutual friend had let AD stay with her for four months not very long ago. She states that he never once asked to use the washer the entire time he was there. She only recalls him showering a handful of times as well. So, going to Phoenix was not in their plan at all. This happened after the fact. Then when he left phoenix I know that he was at a pawn shop in Holbrook on I-40 where he sold some of his belongings on the trailer. Then in Moriarty NM he sold the trailer and whatever remained on the trailer. So after all of that he no longer has a truck filled with his things, no longer has a trailer and no longer has a dog or friend. He is also all the way back up on I-40. Furthering my intense desire to know wtf they were doing on Hwy93 in the first place. Unless it was a detour for a hidden agenda including or not including JD in whatever capacity. I have all of the messages from AD via screenshots from the individual he was communicating with during the days in question. Again, I know it sounds like I am making AD guilty of something or blaming him. I am not, that is not fair and everyone is entitled the same rights. Until proven guilty. I am simply stating facts as they are. Nothing more.

Totally...I think you have every right to have suspicions and to see the inconsistencies in AD's story and the details of AD's behavior after the pair "got separated" is pretty bizarre.

One other thing I find kind of worrying is - I just don't understand the whole thing about JD supposedly staying back with the 28' truck with no plates.

Now, I may be wrong about this, and I hope others will weigh in if I am, but I am from a populous eastern state, and I keep going back to the no plates thing. I feel like you wouldn't make it 10 miles around here with no plates on a large truck. I'm really surprised they made it as far as they did, even if they took remote back routes.

I do have to think that being stopped on the side of a road in a big truck with no plates is quite another thing. I'd imagine the cops would get a phone call about that within the first hour at least.
Which would mean, if JD was truly there waiting with the truck, why is there no police report about that?
Why would either of them have decided JD staying there would be the right thing to do. Why not just follow AD to the service station?

Ugh. so frustrating. I hope that getting some more attention on this will prompt someone to come forward with something they saw or heard

Totally...I think you have every right to have suspicions and to see the inconsistencies in AD's story and the details of AD's behavior after the pair "got separated" is pretty bizarre.

One other thing I find kind of worrying is - I just don't understand the whole thing about JD supposedly staying back with the 28' truck with no plates.

Now, I may be wrong about this, and I hope others will weigh in if I am, but I am from a populous eastern state, and I keep going back to the no plates thing. I feel like you wouldn't make it 10 miles around here with no plates on a large truck. I'm really surprised they made it as far as they did, even if they took remote back routes.

I do have to think that being stopped on the side of a road in a big truck with no plates is quite another thing. I'd imagine the cops would get a phone call about that within the first hour at least.
Which would mean, if JD was truly there waiting with the truck, why is there no police report about that?
Why would either of them have decided JD staying there would be the right thing to do. Why not just follow AD to the service station?

Ugh. so frustrating. I hope that getting some more attention on this will prompt someone to come forward with something they saw or heard

I am not sure if California is as bad about that. I mean, yeah it is illegal af to drive without plates. I think AD was following JD in the truck to help to conceal the plates. I am wondering now if he meant that it did not have stickers current, but I don't think this is the case since I had to find it by VIN without plate numbers to go from. The route they were on was from Carson City NV area suburb type development. Pretty rural and they had been driving through very desolate areas.

The reason for not following him was to leave him with the trailer that could not be driven anymore that was full of his belongings. I would imagine it was with the idea that it or the contents of would not get stolen.

I am not sure if California is as bad about that. I mean, yeah it is illegal af to drive without plates. I think AD was following JD in the truck to help to conceal the plates. I am wondering now if he meant that it did not have stickers current, but I don't think this is the case since I had to find it by VIN without plate numbers to go from. The route they were on was from Carson City NV area suburb type development. Pretty rural and they had been driving through very desolate areas.

That makes sense about Ad following JD to conceal the lack of plates.

To clarify what I'm talking about, I meant commercial trucks in particular. I have spent enough time around farmers and people who drive commercial trucks through an ex who repaired heavy equipment to know that the cops pull over commercial vehicles all the time for a multitude of reasons.

The regulations are stricter, they're easy targets, and then there's the obvious issue of commercial vehicles being used to transport drugs & other contraband much more than regular passenger vehicles.

I thought about the fact that maybe this is different in rural AZ. Where I live we are in the line of a drug route that comes up through NY & New England and goes up to Canada, so maybe that's why it's different...

But then I realized, DUH, it's Arizona! If anything it would be much worse give proximity to the border. I would think cops would be on the lookout for anything unusual about a CV and anything expired, not up to regulations etc.

So yeah, I still think driving a CV with no plates is super bizarre in this case, and really makes me think AD did not plan on going all that far.

Do you think there's any way JD also didn't think they'd go all the way to Mississippi?

That makes sense about Ad following JD to conceal the lack of plates.

To clarify what I'm talking about, I meant commercial trucks in particular. I have spent enough time around farmers and people who drive commercial trucks through an ex who repaired heavy equipment to know that the cops pull over commercial vehicles all the time for a multitude of reasons.

The regulations are stricter, they're easy targets, and then there's the obvious issue of commercial vehicles being used to transport drugs & other contraband much more than regular passenger vehicles.

I thought about the fact that maybe this is different in rural AZ. Where I live we are in the line of a drug route that comes up through NY & New England and goes up to Canada, so maybe that's why it's different...

But then I realized, DUH, it's Arizona! If anything it would be much worse give proximity to the border. I would think cops would be on the lookout for anything unusual about a CV and anything expired, not up to regulations etc.

So yeah, I still think driving a CV with no plates is super bizarre in this case, and really makes me think AD did not plan on going all that far.

Do you think there's any way JD also didn't think they'd go all the way to Mississippi?
I am totally in agreeance with you about the driving a CV without plates long distance like that and thinking they would just get away with it. Something tells me AD thought he could likely talk his way out of it with a sob story. I am aware that this is an improbability to actually pull off. But I also think from everything I have gathered that AD is not the brightest crayon in the box. Know what I mean?

The whole scenario is preposterous. As each day goes by I get more and more angry and would like to go solve this once and for all myself. However, I am just a 5'4" female with superhuman strength. I do not think wise to go do such a thing. Despite the superhuman thing....lol. At least I have found a way to keep a shred of humor. I just feel helpless and like I am being run up the wrong tree when what I am looking for is on the ground in front of me. Know what I mean?

Arizona and where they were in AZ is in fact close to the border, I mean I am from CA so to me it is almost all the same. Arizona is very easy to get in and out of for immigrants etc. Arizona has very relaxed laws on these issues. It is a sanctuary state for the second amendment and many cities I believe as well for immigration. It is a strange state indeed. Going to some of the outlying towns is like stepping back in time. People walking around McD's with a pistol on their hip etc. But anyway, yeah. I do find it odd that he took such a risk. both of them. AD and I had a conversation after this all came about; I started contacting him so that I could get a clearer idea as to whom I was dealing with. He began to tell me should anyone find JD and return him to AD in Mississippi they could have the truck and the contents of. But he knew that would not be possible, so an easy thing to offer up. Claiming it was filled with all of his things likely over $10k worth of belongings. If that is true, I could not begin to tell you.

The Trooper who arrived on scene said that it was in fact quite full. So it is a toss up. But why load the truck with all of your things if you do not intend to make it where you are going with them? Sounds like a lot of effort.????

Ok, so the plot thicken with this question. A mutual friend of the both of then fro the same town who has known JD since grade school and AD for 12 years has a daughter that lives in the Phoenix area. This friend of ours suggested; before knowing that JD was really missing and not just seperated from AD, that he go to her house since he was all the way down in Wickenburg at this point. To which he agreed and was to arrive there that afternoon. The 22nd. But he never showed up that day. The next day around 8 or 9 am the mutual friend received a message stating he would be there in an hour and to let her daughter know. When asked why he did not show he claims to have been "getting the trailer down off the mountain" and that he broke his cell phone by running over it on accident and broke his foot as well.......... He arrives at the daughters house and proceeds to do his laundry, take a shower and slept, woke up, drank a shot of whiskey, took a shower, washed his clothes again and went back to sleep. The mutual friend had let AD stay with her for four months not very long ago. She states that he never once asked to use the washer the entire time he was there. She only recalls him showering a handful of times as well. So, going to Phoenix was not in their plan at all. This happened after the fact. Then when he left phoenix I know that he was at a pawn shop in Holbrook on I-40 where he sold some of his belongings on the trailer. Then in Moriarty NM he sold the trailer and whatever remained on the trailer. So after all of that he no longer has a truck filled with his things, no longer has a trailer and no longer has a dog or friend. He is also all the way back up on I-40. Furthering my intense desire to know wtf they were doing on Hwy93 in the first place. Unless it was a detour for a hidden agenda including or not including JD in whatever capacity. I have all of the messages from AD via screenshots from the individual he was communicating with during the days in question. Again, I know it sounds like I am making AD guilty of something or blaming him. I am not, that is not fair and everyone is entitled the same rights. Until proven guilty. I am simply stating facts as they are. Nothing more.

I am jumping in here because there is a lot of strangeness to this whole story. So AD arrives later than expected at the friend's house. He takes two showers AND does laundry, then proceeds to leave at another time and pawns some of his belongings before eventually selling both the trailer and all his belongings in the trailer that he was supposed to be moving? Something is not at all right with that story/scenario. Hinky meter 100%.
Have police spoken with AD about his timeline and story? Also, have you shared these texts and AD's version of events with the police? I can't imagine that wouldn't raise a lot of red flags with authority if they heard this story.

I am totally in agreeance with you about the driving a CV without plates long distance like that and thinking they would just get away with it. Something tells me AD thought he could likely talk his way out of it with a sob story. I am aware that this is an improbability to actually pull off. But I also think from everything I have gathered that AD is not the brightest crayon in the box. Know what I mean?

The whole scenario is preposterous. As each day goes by I get more and more angry and would like to go solve this once and for all myself. However, I am just a 5'4" female with superhuman strength. I do not think wise to go do such a thing. Despite the superhuman thing....lol. At least I have found a way to keep a shred of humor. I just feel helpless and like I am being run up the wrong tree when what I am looking for is on the ground in front of me. Know what I mean?

Arizona and where they were in AZ is in fact close to the border, I mean I am from CA so to me it is almost all the same. Arizona is very easy to get in and out of for immigrants etc. Arizona has very relaxed laws on these issues. It is a sanctuary state for the second amendment and many cities I believe as well for immigration. It is a strange state indeed. Going to some of the outlying towns is like stepping back in time. People walking around McD's with a pistol on their hip etc. But anyway, yeah. I do find it odd that he took such a risk. both of them. AD and I had a conversation after this all came about; I started contacting him so that I could get a clearer idea as to whom I was dealing with. He began to tell me should anyone find JD and return him to AD in Mississippi they could have the truck and the contents of. But he knew that would not be possible, so an easy thing to offer up. Claiming it was filled with all of his things likely over $10k worth of belongings. If that is true, I could not begin to tell you.

The Trooper who arrived on scene said that it was in fact quite full. So it is a toss up. But why load the truck with all of your things if you do not intend to make it where you are going with them? Sounds like a lot of effort.????

Hi @GonzoGirl5 - thanks, you have answered the questions really thoroughly and I'm getting a better sense of things. It's also helpful to have these answers here so that online investigators can look it up and not have to ask you this all over again.

I do understand what you mean about AZ. In fact, I just took a vacation there over the summer...that's part of why I clicked on this thread to begin with. We laughed about the machine gun rental place that was literally in the driveway of the wildlife safari / sanctuary in Camp Verde, and definitely noticed a lot of things that were different in general. I even remember seeing something with a "Got Milk" sign on it, but I can't remember what or where, and it was probably not the truck.

I think $10k sounds about right. For insurance purposes, insurance agents generally suggest $10k as the contents of a small 1 bedroom house. So that adds up. Even if it's all old stuff or not actually worth that much used.

I think we all agree it's probably not best for you to go and try to physically solve this on your own!
But I think there's a lot you can do, and a lot you can get help with.
Firstly, I think having a lot more eyes on this could help. And the sooner the better.
I noticed on his facebook that only one person or so has asked where he is.
I think you should make sure all his fb friends know that he's missing. Whether it's you posting about it on his timeline or someone else.

I also was really saddened to see that neither of the two towns have anything about this case on their social media pages, police pages, crime watch stuff etc, but they have other missing persons.

Every missing persons notice I found about him was from a Wyoming news page or somewhere in that area, which is a lot less helpful than if AZ sites were posting it. It's very clear that he left WY and also CA.

I would just keep trying to get the word out. There may be podcasts based in AZ that would love to feature this case. etc.

Then when he left phoenix I know that he was at a pawn shop in Holbrook on I-40 where he sold some of his belongings on the trailer. Then in Moriarty NM he sold the trailer and whatever remained on the trailer. So after all of that he no longer has a truck filled with his things said:
So to confirm:

AD never got his 2007 International from the impound lot?
What do you mean "back-up on I-40"?
Did you check the local hospitals closest to mile marker 163, for JD?
Where is AD now?

Maybe I've missed it, but would like to know some basics on JD such as age, height, approximate weight, hair color, eye color. Also, is he a smoker? The initial flyer has pix but doesn't answer these questions.

And the dog -- what breed if you know or what it looks like mostly, size, color, male or female?

Wickenburg and the area around it is mostly ranches of different sizes, plus there is a lot of Fed and State open land leased out for cattle grazing and other uses. The dog might show up and be turned over to local Humane Society, for example, but where the dog showed up might clue to a search area for JD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back