Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, in my profession I’m a mandated reporter in the inner city. I’ve seen many cases that needed to be reported or reported sooner. Any time there is abuse of any kind I think it’s important that the victim knows that someone else knows regardless whether that LE or not. It sometimes is motivating to get out of the situation, whether they have distrust for LE or not. Shoot it may be motivating to leave just to avoid LE coming into a situation. So many victim feel they have no place to go too. LE in my city is trained to provide those resources at every DV call. I get what you are saying about escalating the situation but the situation more often than not is going to escalate anyway in time. In situations with young adults and children reporting is absolutely a no brainer.

If you read the comments, this is based on a restaurant who has staff and manager to back each other up. It not relating to an individual being abused. Which I already covered. The restaurant incident was aimed at the workers and not Gabby, the witnesses had no indication of DV against Gabby other than they saw she was apologetic for his behaviour. In their view he was a disgruntled, aggressive customer, not an aggressive abusive boyfriend.

IMO, what you are not taking into account is that BL might very well have offered ‘take me to jail, I don’t mind!’ in a vacuum, without meaning it.

I mean, there is precedent, as I and others have pointed out, to say that BL is regularly a big ‘do as I say, not as I do’ hypocrite vis-a-vis his feelings on the environment; thus it isn’t inappropriate to me, to take this to its farthest extent and assume that if LE had actually taken him up on it… well, they didn’t, but my mother always says, ‘Talk is cheap.’

Brian strikes me as an enormous ‘do as I say, not as I do’ poseur.
Your mother is smart. Even if BL said 'gee officer could you tell me where would be a good place for my fiance to go tonight so i know she's safe?' it would have been a least something. I
do not recall hearing that come out of his mouth so correct me please if it did. IMO, LE did imply to GB they were doing her a favor not giving her a citation and just a NCO. She's 23 she's a kid..they are doing her a solid.

Brian protected her by trying to go to jail instead of her. I mean, he did ask for that. Not an opinion. Do I need a link for the video here?
IMO it seems that Brian's offer to go to jail instead of her was not genuine at all. He knew at that point that the cops were considering only Gabby as the aggressor and he was in the clear

There are good men out there, great men, I am married to one. He may not have experience with LE but he knew how to play the cool, calm collected one when just minutes earlier he was seen slapping and hitting her multiple times, safe to say out of anger. The bottom line, if he cared more about her than himself, if he really wanted to place the consequences of both of their actions on himself, he would have stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility for his actions, told the officer he was hitting her and that contributed to her current emotional state. He did not do that.
I am married to a great guy, too, for over 26 years, but he would not have said, hey, can I go to jail instead? At least I don't think so.... And my hubs is still great, despite doubts on that but may need some hints as to how to be even better, if such a situation arises.

Their stories aligned well, separately and apart from each other. They didn't know what anyone had reported at all, only what really happened. He wasn't asked about chasing and hitting her so we don't know what he would have said or even if it happened that way. They were both pretty transparent, given the stress of the situation, without inside information, and given the absolute INABILITY to feed off of each other...that was completely removed... IMO!!!! And they are just kids, again MOO, they handled it really well.

I have seen this in other posts as well (about BL being a hypocrite about the environment or the food he's eating, etc.) but what are the sources of these facts? I haven't seen any and I would like to read/view them for myself. Thanks.

Others may correct me, but a lot was discussed about BL declining bottled water repeatedly when offered it by LE. He explains that he doesn’t like bottled water at around 12:45.

Yes!! We clearly know he is not a person who was willing to go to jail over Gabby. That was a line and had no meaning.
What? We do not know that… only Brian knows what he meant. To say he did not mean the things he said is your opinion, and rightfully so, but it’s certainly not a fact to claim HIS words meaningless lines.
/JMO

I was looking at the map and the locations of north port, carltons reserve and campgrounds. I think when they went camping is when BL planned to leave.

There has been no information released regarding where they went. But I bet the police know, or will soon enough! Moo

Brian protected her by trying to go to jail instead of her. I mean, he did ask for that. Not an opinion. Do I need a link for the video here?
IMO it seems that Brian's offer to go to jail instead of her was not genuine at all. He knew at that point that the cops were considering only Gabby as the aggressor and he was in the clear

But they should… b/c men are victims too.
Contrasts in stature does not excuse abuse. /IMO

I think the bias usually benefits the women, and rightly so as men are generally so much stronger than us. But, woman are dangerous, too. LE had to go with what they saw, and what Brian and Gabby told them.

Maybe the moral of the story is that it is NEVER acceptable at any time and for any reason to raise hands at each other....this leads to escalation in emotions....and DANGER.

I have seen this in other posts as well (about BL being a hypocrite about the environment or the food he's eating, etc.) but what are the sources of these facts? I haven't seen any and I would like to read/view them for myself. Thanks.

I guess it isn't really a source, but leaving a dead body in a NP isn't exactly following Leave No Trace Trace principles.

After reading the transcript, and watching the video, I thought they handled the whole interaction thoughtfully and caringly. The couple clearly loved eachother, she had zero physical signs of abuse, and neither of them acted violently or out of control in their presence. Brian even offered to go to jail instead of her. It's easy to blame everybody under the sun in hindsight, but all these officers had was a very brief snapshot to go on. I think we need to put the pitchforks down concerning these police officers.

It's not necessarily hauling out pitchforks to look at an extended interaction and query whether responding LE should or could have done better. I'm sure there are people screaming for heads on a pike (there always are), and a lot of those folks simply like to have something to scream about (same goes for knee-jerk defenses).

However, given that we know they assessed the situation/dynamic incorrectly, and that - proximately or not - there was a really bad outcome of some sort, it is not only a good idea but should be required for there to be a review not just of whether the officers violated procedure or there were lapses in adherence to process, but also whether there are systemic blanks or flaws in how their or LE in general approaches domestic violence matters.

I'm waiting to see any founded objection to my last sentence.

It's the usual process in most organizations of any type. 'Mistakes might or might not have been made' is not accountability.

he feels the need to point out to LE that he’s turning down the bottled water LE offers him because bisphenol, blah blah blah (source: body cam); but a convenience store clerk separately pegs the two as having stopped in to buy ‘bottled water, donuts and instant noodles’.

he makes a big deal out of using melon rinds as bowls (source is, I believe, Gabby’s videos); but many people (civilians) have said in the interim, that these melon rinds are not in fact biodegradable (someone said they use them as hog slop and even the hogs won’t eat the shiny green part); but Brian is a-ok with letting them ‘go back to nature’ as compost, when he should be ‘packing them out’.

this to me suggests at least that he has given no real thought to his stances on the environment, and I knew enough people like that in my time at college to know they haven’t actually tried to think through anything, and just parrot someone else’s party line. There may be more.

The officer didn't exactly ignore him driving over the limit.

He actually asked sarcastically something like: Did she also press down on the pedal as she was grabbing the wheel?

- not exact words.

His first instincts were correct.

Just some things I noted from the police bodycam videos -no breathalyzer or field sobriety test for Brian the driver, no request to search the van. Officers note Brian seems excessively "hyper" and seem to ask Brian in a few different ways if he is on medication or substances. I didn't see any follow up on these issues. Doing 45 in a 15 zone and jumping a curb (intentionally trying to crash??) seem worthy of follow up and citation. Brian also seemed unduly concerned when officers wanted to go in the van to get Gabby's cell phone.

Just my opinion and conjecture.

Well if he has no phone and no other technology at hand, he may have no clue she has been found, no clue the level of search, depending on where he is may not even know that there is a search. So yeah, he might think he can hide out for months in the wild.

I hope Gabby HAUNTS him. I hope he see's her face and hears her voice all night, every night.
Having lived through gaslighting- mental torture, I know why she was crying at the restaurant. The utter DREAD at his mood swings alone is emotionally and physically devastating.
I hope she haunts him.
JMO

I think the bias usually benefits the women, and rightly so as men are generally so much stronger than us. But, woman are dangerous, too. LE had to go with what they saw, and what Brian and Gabby told them.

Maybe the moral of the story is that it is NEVER acceptable at any time and for any reason to raise hands at each other....this leads to escalation in emotions....and DANGER.

'Bias'? 'Benefits'? Neither of those apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LornaJay