Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are answers to that in criminology and psychiatry, but we are not allowed to mental health here. However, we all know there's a flight or fight response, right? Well, it has to do with that. We also aren't to give personal anecdotes, but trust me, I know a particular person (for almost 50 years) who has really had to work on his tendency to flee when highly stressed.

Some people...flee...or avoid...or "distance"...or go down into autopilot. There are biological substrates to this. The "autopilot" can be seen on MRI, actually (if you're lucky enough to get a person willing to go inside one while in that state...it involves a sort of disconnect between parts of the brain that normally light up altogether in emergency situations - but not always, some of us sort of fall apart...one technical word is "decompensation"; I can provide search terms for scholar.google if you DM).

IOW, I think BL was IMO terrified and completely alone and out of his depth - he had been away from his parents on only two different occasions we know about.

First trip was a bit less planned (Summer 2020). This one was a working trip - where perhaps both of them were hoping to monetize their Van Life (I think it's clear that they were working on that - an added stressor). In theory, Van Life people either work gig or minimum wage economy when they need money (finding the right free places to camp - it's estimate there are over 1000 young people in free camping near Moab, waiting tables, working in grocery stores, McDonald's). Others do manage to make enough money off their youtube to fund their Van Life.

My SO and I can unlock each others' phones with our faces - nearly everyone I know in a relationship who has an iPhone does it. Gabby is clearly controlling her own phone in several videos she makes while Brian is out hiking. Brian actually left her alone for about 5 days, during which time she could have broken up permanently with him, started driving her van back (slowly, if it was a challenge), and she certainly used her phone according to her father. She also had a hotel room that would have had a land line.

She has her phone next to her while making meals, while doing so many. things on the trip - Brian is no where to be seen in those videos.

I don't think it helps to treat all DV situations as so much alike - each situation is very different. If in fact, Gabby could not use her own phone, then why is she sitting in the back of the squad car using it while LE talks to Brian? Why does the Ranger tell her to go back to her conversation (I believe the ranger thinks Gabby is talking to her mother - but that's not confirmed).

Flight or Fight Response gotcha.
Thanks!
I wish we could discuss criminology/psychiatry here because it fascinates me. Thank you for your response.

I don't think BL having a code to her phone is outright abusive or overly controlling until I look at the bigger picture.
Some people will steal their partner's phone during a fight so they cannot call for help or a friend or worse 911.

I’m still trying to understand how they are justifying the scale of this manhunt for these non-violent, fairly minor charges. There is something brewing.

It's almost as if the man is suspected of murdering his fiancee, leaving her body in the wilderness, and subsequently purchasing items with the deceased's credit card / bank account.

The timeline on the first page of these threads is not correct, and continues to be posted incorrectly. This is because MSM first stated that the first stone cross was left by investigators. Later, this was corrected to say that nobody knows who created the first stone cross, but a second one was erected by GP's father.

The first cross is also much closer to the water, while the one Gabby’s stepfather made is supposedly at exact spot they found her. (And had flowers on top of it, at least at first.) Makes it easier to figure out which one you’re looking at in pictures.

The disparity is certainly glaring. I do not think that Gabby should get less exposure, I think other should get more. It's a big conversation that needs to be had in society. Thanks for the link!

Hopefully this needed conversation would not turn P or about race. That's where the real issues get lost. From that link you will see many others.

Brian Laundrie's parents are worried he may have hurt himself and are 'very concerned' about him, the family's lawyer said

Fri, September 24, 2021, 4:40 PM
939216324aee89ce1bfefdf61ace902b

Police tape is seen outside the familiy home of Brian Laundrie, 23, a "person of interest" in the case of his fiancee Gabby Petito's body being found in a Wyoming national park, in North Port, Florida, on September 22, 2021. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

Sadly Walt will be severely disappointed, sorry Walt. Gotta say that I'm also disappointed.

I thought they just chose the top level offense but it apparently was an error.

I will say I have had nightmares about uploading the wrong document through ECF to PACER. When you practice in a federal court, you "file" your documents right on ECF through PACER. So it automatically uploads right to the docket. The clerk also publicly corrects your errors if they are able to be corrected by the clerk. So there will be a notice like "COUNSEL FAILED TO ATTACH DOCUMENT." Really terrifying stuff.

I’m still trying to understand how they are justifying the scale of this manhunt for these non-violent, fairly minor charges. There is something brewing.

Because they are certain he killed Gabby. Remember that they have much more information than we do. The current warrant will put him in custody without parole.

jmo

I don't think Gabby knew she was living the cycle of abuse in the Moab incident. It can take years for a victim to realize they are being psychologically abused. IMO, Gabby would have taken all the blame no matter what the officers did. She was in the phase where she truly thought she was over emotional and couldn't understand what was happening to her. IMO, the reactive abuse she displayed only confirmed her own thoughts that she was the bad one (of course that's not true.. just her frame of mind). Even if those officer's arrested him, she would have been there to get him out because she would have believed it was her fault he was there. I can't fault the officers in this situation.

Of course, all of this is MOO.
I agree. Victims are trained to believe in their own powerlessness.

I'm wondering, all the time, and hoping against hope that she had even one friend to confide in?

It is your opinion that this homicide was not intended. I don't know how you can know that.
All we have is speculation?? With what we know the most likely explanation is DV gone too far. My gut feeling is strangulation as he seems to have form with that (she says he grabbed her around the chin/throat) - the other explamation is that he is a homicidal maniac who has planned GP's murder, which is unusual and more unlikely IMO.

That's true. But they could have talked to BL 100% differently....

they could have given him some stern advice to not lay hands on her no matter what, to never end a fight with violence....

The police might have thought that no amount of stern talking was going to make "L" stop being "L". Stern talking to some one can be embarasing though.

Alpha males can be prickly about self respect and pride. Shaming can make him even more enraged. If, "G" already stated that she would be leaving with him, a now shamed alpha male could be doubly dangerous.

New theory: BL returned home after murdering GP, but concocted a story to tell his parents about a break-up and how she's headed back to live with her family. Sept. 10th (or 11th) rolls around, and there's the 'incident' at the L residence with GP's father. This upends the L family who previously believed BL's lies. <modsnip>

LOL just kidding, they're totally hiding him from law enforcement and know precisely where he is.
WAIT! How did I miss that? GP'd dad went to BL's home? Did he talk to anyone? Did he actually SEE BL with his own eyes? How did I miss this?

Additional context on the messages placed outside the Laundrie home today––

FBI wants any helpful tips in Gabby Petito case, search for fiancé – WINK
<snipped>
Terri Desesso didn’t know Gabby Petito or Brian Laundrie. But she drove 50 miles Friday to post a message on the house they used to call home, a flyer with a picture of Gabby and a reminder to the Laundrie family that she once lived there.

“I don’t even know the girl, and I don’t know what happened,” Desesso said. “All I know is she’s not here, and she can’t talk for herself.”

Desesso hopes and prays her simple gesture gets to the Laundrie’s. The FBI would love nothing more for them to talk. Short of that, agents hope anyone with information will call the FBI’s tip line.

“They’re trained how to gather information on the phone, how to get details that can help an investigation,” Desseso said.

How so IYO?

It depends if she was willing to give him the PIN or he added his face to her account w/o permission when she bought it. In light of the other accounts, her friend Rose said he controlled her phone deleted apps that she used even hide her phone and ID. With the other details, it spells out overcontrolling, trust issues with BL.

Really find it hard to believe they were concerned he was going to harm himself on Tuesday but didn't do anything about it except move his car until Friday.

I've personally only experienced one time when we were very concerned about a family member and I called the PD near that person's house within an hour to do a welfare check. When he wouldn't answer the door, the PD looked through the windows and stopped by every hour until they confirmed he was okay and actually brought him to the hospital for a checkup. My thinking was I would rather be wrong and look like an idiot that overreacted to something than have something bad happen and later regret not acting sooner.

Can't imagine being "very concerned" and waiting 3 days.

All we have is speculation?? With what we know the most likely explanation is DV gone too far. My gut feeling is strangulation as he seems to have form with that (she says he grabbed her around the chin/throat) - the other explamation is that he is a homicidal maniac who has planned GP's murder, which is unusual and more unlikely IMO.
Strangulation is intentional, premeditation can be made moments before the act is committed, it does not have to be a plan.

From the timeline:

"Investigators left a cross made from rocks at the site where Gabby's body was found."

I thought Gabby's stepfather did this. Maybe it was him along with the investigators?

The timeline on the first page of these threads is not correct, and continues to be posted incorrectly. This is because MSM first stated that the first stone cross was left by investigators. Later, this was corrected to say that nobody knows who created the first stone cross, but a second one was erected by GP's father.
@JeremyHarrisTV
·
A Petito family spokesperson has confirmed to our partners at
@CBSNews
that this cross was left by the investigation team at the spot where Gabby’s body was recovered in Spread Creek.https://kutv.com/news/local/makeshift-cross-found-in-area-where-crews-searched-for-gabby-petito…

Wednesday at 12:42 PM
——
I haven’t seen a retraction - has anyone? I’m aware that her stepdad also left a cross apparently.

I’m glad to see our members checking out page 1 of each thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whimzee