UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

From this link, the father is quite clear that this was a sexual assault and murder. So that's a bit of information that we didn't have before though we may have strongly suspected..

I had a strong feeling that it was, unfortunately, sexual assault when the ladies were found nude from the waist-down. The bathing theory didn't make any sense to me.[...]

This is now confirmation that this is a crime of the most abhorent and disgusting kind!

My Own Opinion: There is little doubt in my mind now that these women were raped and murdered by man because they were lesbians. A hate-crime of the highest order.

Justice must be done.

This is now confirmation that this is a crime of the most abhorent and disgusting kind!

My Own Opinion: There is little doubt in my mind now that these women were raped and murdered by man because they were lesbians. A hate-crime of the highest order.

Justice must be done.

I am with you all the way, @investikater ! No doubt in my mind either. The piece of human garbage (or multiple, if applicable) who did this vile crime was clearly motivated by hate and homphobia imo. There is no other reasonable explanation. We need JUSTICE for these ladies.

For me, the larger issue is that again, it seems like women are unsafe in any environment and random prey to men. We can't go running (Molly), to the park with our dog, take an Uber, go camping...on and on...and after participating in "Take Back the Night" marches, for over 40 years, nothing has changed.

Sexual violence against women has become even more pervasive in our society. And even more infuriating to me, is an underlying attitude from LEO and society in general of "victim blaming".

My personal opinion is that all Sexual crimes against women should be elevated as "Hate Crimes". It is obvious violence, against women. Targeting them because of their gender. If that doesn't merit "hate crime", what does?

I don't see that this investigation will go anywhere, unless the FBI gets involved. And maybe women need to be more proactive about making sexual violence against women an issue, and bring more awareness to this situation and so many others. Why aren't women safe to go camping? Running? Walking their dogs?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-take-back-the-night-march-1.6188149

I haven’t listened to any of the interviews but wow…the poor friend and poor father. The fact that the father told the friend to leave the scene for the friend’s safety speaks so highly to his character IMO. To be informed that your child is dead and have the presence of mind to get the friend to safety is amazing. Based on that, I’m inclined to believe him when he says LE isn’t doing much. JMO.

Still following this case, though I don't have much to add. Just so sickened by this horrific crime.

With sexual assault, I am hoping they have some DNA that may help solve this? Otherwise, I worry that this may never be solved. Unless another camper in the area comes forward with more info/description of someone seen near there, it is possible this killer was just passing through this area and may very likely be in a whole different state by now. Even if they DID live in Moab, they may have high-tailed it out of there after committing this crime, though that should at least draw some suspicion by co-workers, etc if they worked in the area.

The US Marshal service posted a press release 9/21/21 about a violent sexual predator who was believed to be using state and national parks in the west to hide. He escaped from a mental hospital in Kansas. He had been civilly committed following completion of a prison sentence for sexual assault.

I'd be curious to know if anyone saw John Freeman Colt in Moab around the time of the girl's murder.

Why would the US Marshall think Colt was frequenting state and national parks unless they had sightings or other confirmation?

htts://www.usmarshals.gov/.../2021/colt-news-release.htm

They have two vans. A black van that was [apparently] converted to a camper, and it seems this van was their "home" and was still parked where friends knew to look for it.

And a silver Kia van which is what they were driving on this camping trip.

Source: the first couple of posts in the thread

I don't see anything in the first few posts about the model of the Kia, but it is consistently described as a Kia car and not a second van.

I'll keep looking. Have you not read how hard it was for the one woman (I believe a manager at the Coop) to find them. The van was parked at McDonald's, for sure.

It was not a "camping trip." They lived there. That's where their rabbit was, that was their home. Hundreds of Moab residents live in this way and have been really vocal on SM about how difficult it is. They are mostly seasonal workers who take the minimum wage jobs. They worry about the coldest part of the winter and I think some of them head elsewhere - but this year it's hard, as so many national forests are closed or limited in access.

I believe the victims stated, or implied that "creepy guy" was camping in the area. That would seem to rule out a member of a compound group as he would either live in the compound, or have a home nearby. Likewise somebody with an individual invitation would probably be put up in the compound as a show of hospitality.

But.... I wonder if any of the compounds had hosted training sessions, talks, presentations, or other activities for larger numbers of people?

Such presentations or training sessions can attract relatively large number of sympathizers or "dabbling" type people. The host group might not be able to house all attendees- and some attendees could be weird even by host group standards (pretty hard but possible) and make them not want to house them.

As a result, either by simple lack of room or other reasons, attendees could be required to take rooms at local motels- or camp from either personal preference or being destitute.

I'm probably not allowed to discuss some of the aspects of some of those compounds that might make it so that a man might be living outside, having been a part of the compound at some time. I wish that Ky and Crystal had given more information - his age, his general build.

Hmm. Wonder what they know in either case that they can say this with certainty? I didn’t think they were connected, but it’s something else to be able to rule it out.

I think it would derail this thread entirely to discuss how they know this, but you can look at the timeline on page 1 of every Gabby Petito thread and, combine that with LE taking BL to a safe place in Moab (without any transportation), and you'll see why BL (Gabby's boyfriend) has been ruled out.

A Kia Sorrento is not a van, it's a compact SUV, roughly the same size as my 4Runner. Not a van. You could probably sleep (uncomfortably) in one. They were sleeping in a tent.

I wish people would stop calling this a "campground." It was, at best, dispersed camping, far from any sort of actual campground with any kind of amenity. It's known mostly or only to locals and at first, neither the locals nor LE was certain it was public land (it is, they're saying now). But their camp was barely visible from the road, it was not a designated campsite (it's all dispersed camping, which comes with inherent problems - in designated campsites, there are campsite boundaries and in all the BLM campgrounds in that area, there is at least some oversight by BLM-employed camp hosts - where Ky and Crystal camped was not patrolled by any BLM people nor considered a campground. Dispersed camping specifically means "not in a campground," which means that

@10ofRods
This case (like many) has presented some confusing or unclear information. From the very first post on the thread (reddened by me)

Before they were found, a family member of Schulte posted on Facebook: “Kylen and Crystal are MISSING!!! THEY MUST BE IN THE SILVER KIA VAN. Because the black van and Harley are at McDs. Please help look for my girls or their KIA. Haven’t been to work. Haven’t called. Not in hospital. Not in Moab jail. Police have an ATL out.”

This is why I thought they had two vans. I won't repeat it in the future as it now seems to be incorrect!

And from post #3:
The women said at the tavern that they had been scared and “needed to move their campsite,” Hunter said."

The boundary between "home" and "camping" is obviously blurrier for them than many of us may have been assuming. I thought I read ** that the van parked at McDonald's was their "home" and where they usually lived when not "camping". Posts like the above referring to their location as a campsite added to the confusion. Again, I will try not to add to the confusion any further!

Apologies and no disrespect intended!

** ETA -- can't find reference to this -- it might have been on the fb page linked but now private. I'm pretty sure it was a reference to a friend saying the black van was "parked at McDonald's as usual" which I interpreted as that being their usual location. MOO

Last edited:
I was on team "BL" did it, but now I am reconsidering. I am guessing it could have been a hate crime. Does it bother anyone else that two employed people are homeless?
ETA: I am also guessing the "drugs and paraphenalia" is something almost legal like pot.

I was on team "BL" did it, but now I am reconsidering. I am guessing it could have been a hate crime. Does it bother anyone else that two employed people are homeless?
ETA: I am also guessing the "drugs and paraphenalia" is something almost legal like pot.

One of the articles I read mentioned it was just some marijuana. I'll need to find that again to double check but yeah, it was just weed afaik. I bet it was probably a small amount and a pipe or bong.

It's pretty common in some areas in the western US to live the "van life" like these two ladies were even if you are employed. Kylen and Crystal probably weren't bringing in that much income. It may have made more sense for them.

I also think BL wasn't involved with their murders and it was just a coincidence with the timing and the Moonflower incident. If he did want to kill someone from Moonflower, there would be ways to do it besides stalking, raping, and murdering the worker AND her wife. Plus, with what we know now, it just seems very unlikely location-wise at the time.

The US Marshal service posted a press release 9/21/21 about a violent sexual predator who was believed to be using state and national parks in the west to hide. He escaped from a mental hospital in Kansas. He had been civilly committed following completion of a prison sentence for sexual assault.

I'd be curious to know if anyone saw John Freeman Colt in Moab around the time of the girl's murder.

Why would the US Marshall think Colt was frequenting state and national parks unless they had sightings or other confirmation?

htts://www.usmarshals.gov/.../2021/colt-news-release.htm

I hope this turns out to be a lead for their murders. They have to have SOME reason to think Colt was hanging around national and state parks. You can't just make that information up out of nowhere. I wonder if he was known to creep around women in these parks like Kylen and Crystal's murderer presumably was.

@10ofRods
This case (like many) has presented some confusing or unclear information. From the very first post on the thread (reddened by me)

This is why I thought they had two vans. I won't repeat it in the future as it now seems to be incorrect!

And from post #3:

The boundary between "home" and "camping" is obviously blurrier for them than many of us may have been assuming. I thought I read ** that the van parked at McDonald's was their "home" and where they usually lived when not "camping". Posts like the above referring to their location as a campsite added to the confusion. Again, I will try not to add to the confusion any further!

Apologies and no disrespect intended!

** ETA -- can't find reference to this -- it might have been on the fb page linked but now private. I'm pretty sure it was a reference to a friend saying the black van was "parked at McDonald's as usual" which I interpreted as that being their usual location. MOO

Oh. - tell me about it. This case has so many confusing aspects - and we all need to work together to keep the facts straight.

I can't find the first news article I saw about the storage unit, but it had more specifics about the drugs - and the phones.

And you are right - there is no set address for Van Life people.,

The "new" homeless population. I remember watching a "Science Fiction" about a guy who lived in his car in LA. He had a coffee maker in it...well, the reality is that many homeless people now, do work, and still can't afford to rent an apartment.

A creepy creeping man indeed
I believe they id’d their eventual killer
How I wish they had another option
Did friends think they were joking?
Did they joke about him to fend off the fear?
I hope justice will be served
Ok. You have my attention. Would you be able to share more details about what has led you to form these opinions? I.e How do you think they ID'd their "eventual killer"? What would have been the "another option" that you wish they had? What makes you think their friends may have thought them to be joking - & what would they have thought they wer joking about? & since you ask if they possibly joked about him to fend off fear, I'm wondering if you are possibly one of their friends that you ask about and why you think they were joking. It feels to me (obviously, very much IMOO) that you might be making these statements as someone that may be a "local". Is there any chance you could share more details? (& possibly with a little more punctuation?)

I'm probably not allowed to discuss some of the aspects of some of those compounds that might make it so that a man might be living outside, having been a part of the compound at some time.

Please discuss them! I think such a discussion would be permissible given the circumstances of the case:

- Compounds in the area / the camp site would have been known only to locals- or to those directed to the area by locals (compound residents?) / a significant majority of compounds are right wing in orientation (either religious or secular) / individual right wing sympathizers, whether, religious or secular, might have a violent dislike of lesbians*.

Also, good point about the lack of patrols on BLM land. When I lived in Californian, BLM land was known by out door recreationalists for being lightly patrolled and for having larger numbers of squatters as BLM was slow to evict people.

* in fairness, one does not need to be right wing to have a cultural dislike of sexual minorities.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back