Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone is giving him too much credit. I honestly don't think he's that smart. Lying and conniving, yes, but smart/intelligent, no. He went somewhere (if he did indeed go there) he knows. He knows what it takes to survive in there and most likely how to get thru the area perhaps to someplace to hole up until he feels the search is over. He will need to get out of there to get supplies at some point. And I seriously doubt he nor his parents thought the search would be this intense or long. I think they'll find him or signs of him soon.

IMO-it doesn’t matter if he had a passport or not. This situation was unplanned. The enormity of what he did has been hitting him daily and I think at this point he is starting to acknowledge that his entire life as he knows it is gone. This had to have been an awful rage induced accident. I think he loved Gabby a lot (or he would not have gone back out there). He loves his outdoor lifestyle regardless of how truly “outdoorsy” it is.

Two questions:

1. did anyone see him at his house after the camping trip with his parents? Thinking of a drop off. I don’t think he was seen so he might not have returned with them (which means he’s not in the reserve).

2. Is it at all possible that they (parents with lawyer) are negotiating a plea for him while he is being hidden? Would that impact search activities?

IMO BL is not an experienced outdoorsperson. He's a wannabe.
In general, I don't trust the term "expert hiker", especially when it is proclaimed by family or friends. Invariably, when there's a missing hiker sleuthed on WS, the hiker will be described as "experienced". Looking briefly over their situation and history, they never seem to be.
IMO unfortunately in this case, there is hype about BL being a "skilled outdoorsman", when that's his self-presentation. It may well mislead a search.
Let's keep in mind that, far from heading into the wild blue yonder, BL drove home to momma, and he seems to have needed parental support to (maybe) take to the outdoors. I have a feeling he's in someone's cabin.
Looking at the calendar, when would BL even have learned any outdoor skills? He graduated from HS maybe 3 years ago? Then he worked at Piggly Wiggly, correct? And in their 2 weeks annual vacation (or whatever meager amount it is), he's turning himself into a "skilled outdoorsman"? Ummmmmm, no.

I don't know anyone who's an experienced hiker call themselves an "expert hiker". I' not sure they'd call themselves "experienced", either, now that I think of it. I'd never call myself that. IME they're more likely to say they've had many experiences.

He would have graduated 5-6 years ago. He’s almost 24.
We have no idea how long he’s worked at Publix. He could have been there only a year or two (esp since people say he worked there with GP)

Leaving the other years for the outdoors. Outdoor experience also doesn’t start only after high school?

It's just like where I live, one could easily live. And re: an earlier post: who goes hiking with no phone? I smell pants on fire!
Especially a 23 year old...the phone is an appendage of sorts. I'm about 40 years older than that and I walk our local trails and always have a phone. The phone thing to me never sat right. But also, if he left his wallet at home as they report, he also drove without his drivers license if we assume it is in his wallet. But then, getting pulled over for him is like no biggie based on the video. I believe as some one a million threads ago said that he had a plan. But, I also do believe that not all family members knew everything he may have been up to. JMO.

It’s quite possible someone did but hasn’t gone to media with their information. I’d think twice about going to the media if I did tbh. What a circus it has turned into for some other folks.

that’s very true, and possible. with SM and people seem to love attention, and recognition I’d think we’d hear something. But you’re right, LE could have advised them to keep that quiet if someone did come forward. I do recall, can’t find the source, but I believe the neighbour across saw BL at some point after they had returned from that trip. And that was the final time anyone saw him if I’m not mistaken.

BL has an attorney before or at the time that GP is officially reported missing and when LE/NPPD arrive at the Laundrie residence. Not a crime but interesting to me.

BL leaves on Tuesday for a hike, leaving his cell and wallet behind.

Parents drive the mustang to the Carlton Reserve and leave it there for BL “so he could drive it back,”

Parents return to the Carlton Reserve on thursday to retrieve the car and found a note from LE stating it needed to be removed.

They then report BL missing on Friday.

Why would BL need the car to drive back. If it's true he spent weeks or months on the AT trail he couldn't make a 5 ish mile walk back home?

Also I wish we knew more about what this meeting with the family attorney was all about. It was important enough to meet face to face and for the Laundries to travel back and forth to Orlando.

Just things that are bugging me this morning.

You guys, you know how it’s perfectly legal for police to lie to subjects during an investigation? I’m wondering a similar thing about lawyers talking to the media. Are lawyers ethically/legally obligated to tell the truth on tv or in statements? Or are they allowed to muddy the waters?

I’m asking this in relation to BL’s parents lawyer who claimed in the last couple days he left his house without a wallet or phone. I’m just wondering if there’s any imperative that suggests this *has* to be true.
Only LE would know if it was true as I’m sure they had to be shown the cellphone and wallet when the Laundrie’s had them over to claim as much.

Maybe it's changed in recent years, but I've been able to go into NYC and get my passport in one day, no waiting period.

I've never heard of getting a passport in one day. Even 30+ years ago mine took longer than that (Weeks, not months) . Regardless, COVID has slowed processing down quite a bit. I doubt BL could get a quickie legit passport. A fake one, no telling.
JMO

I think everyone is giving him too much credit. I honestly don't think he's that smart. Lying and conniving, yes, but smart/intelligent, no. He went somewhere (if he did indeed go there) he knows. He knows what it takes to survive in there and most likely how to get thru the area perhaps to someplace to hole up until he feels the search is over. He will need to get out of there to get supplies at some point. And I seriously doubt he nor his parents thought the search would be this intense or long. I think they'll find him or signs of him soon.

So true! No one could have predicted how much attention this case would get. It's almost unbelievable.

Maybe it's changed in recent years, but I've been able to go into NYC and get my passport in one day, no waiting period.
Very true - however, FBI would ABSOLUTELY know if he was recently issued a passport and would be investigating appropriately. The digital age does make it much, much more difficult to move anywhere by plane or across borders unnoticed unless said documentation is fake.

I agree, but the defense will use everything it can use.

Of course they can try to use if they want, however being abusive is one crime and someone's death is another crime.

People can abuse each other for their whole lives without ever involving the court system and it can stop when one leaves the other and the abuse stops.

But when it involves the death/murder of one of the abuse victims, then all that goes out the window because now it's a death/murder and a entirely different and separate crime. death is permanent there's no coming back from that, there's no more leaving the relationship, there's only one victim no matter how much the defendent/suspect cries foul and that the dead person was the abuser, it might become a mitigating factor after the conviction during the sentencing phase but not into the actual death/murder.IMO
It may even be considered in getting/wanting a plea to a lower charge...

I do agree that the events that have transpired are simple. I don’t see this family doing tricky, clever things. I believe BL got into an argument that escalated to a fight and he accidentally killed Gabby. Then he ran straight back to mama and dada. They called an attorney they knew and did as instructed which is really what any good defense attorney would have advised.
I think BL did go to preserves and is either there now, or left from there. I do not believe parents are lying. They called LE when they could not stand waiting any longer for him and they worried he’d kill him self.

BL could be hiding among the homeless, be holed up with a friend or family member who picked him up somewhere after he left preserves or hes in there dead or alive. LE doing all they can to find him there. Hopefully , they are checking out Laundries contacts. I’m guessing the Carton Preseves because everything I’ve read about them says that finding anyone in there like finding that proverbial needle in a haystack. Worse since these days a sensitive metal detector might find that needle

Amended Arrest Warrant:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wyd.59306/gov.uscourts.wyd.59306.9.0.pdf

Docket for United States v. Laundrie, 0:21-cr-00113 - CourtListener.com

eta:
Harrowing Gabby crime scene pics from camp where body found are revealed

Although attention has turned to his parents, they may never be charged with a crime due to a Florida law that largely shields relatives from being named accessories from an otherwise felony offense of assisting someone with evading arrest, trial, or other punishment after committing a crime.

“There are a lot of people who think that parents’ obligation to children comes first,” Alan Dershowitz, Harvard law professor told Fox News when describing similar statutes across the country.

“For example, a woman or a man have a right not to testify against their spouse,” Dershowitz said. “Now generally, that doesn’t apply to mother and child or father and child, but there are some people who think it should.”
Florida law may be helping Brian Laundrie and his parents

Gabby Petito slaying: Florida lawyer, a mom of two, puts $20G bounty on Brian Laundrie

Social Media sleuths help unravel Petito case

So many in the media are discussing Florida Law. They look dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288