Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her own circle of friends and family did not even suspect DV. How could strangers who an hour of interaction with them suspect it?

Hindsight is always better than foresight...if the situation that afternoon had not been diffused by separating them, it could have happened that night. I don't think GP even knew how bad it was. Hopefully this will stand as a lesson to other DV victims.

I don't blame the officers, they did what they thought was right, and I probably would have missed the warning signs, too.

But, I think BL's parents almost had to know their son had a problem. I'd really like to hear them explain. But, of course, they won't.

Thank you for that resource. I didn't think it was a dodgy resource at all, just wondered if it was typical for young men. According to the site you shared, I don't think users split 60/40 women/men, rather the 40% is showing that Genz men were up 40% from last year. Tho, to be fair, they cite their data, but make the data hard to dig into and find, lol! They certainly WANT more men. MOO! Still, thank you much, that was interesting!

To find Brian? I don’t believe so. For any information relating to his involvement in Gabby’s death? Yes. And they are still seeking information from anyone who may have seen Gabby, Brian and/or the van during their stop in Wyoming.
Right they are not asking for people to call in if they have seen BL recently do they know he is dead? I can't seem to get off the fence on if he has run off (again) or ended it all. MOO

SEP 25, 2021
Feds File 'Amended' Arrest Warrant for Brian Laundrie (lawandcrime.com)
[...]

The new arrest warrant corrects a minor yet critical error in the original warrant issued two days earlier. The little-noticed error caused confusion among close observers, however, since the original warrant accused Laundrie of committing a crime he ultimately was not accused of committing by a federal grand jury.

To be clear, a grand jury indicted Landrie on one single count for allegedly violating 18 U.S.C. § 1029(a)(2). That statute makes it a crime to use an “unauthorized access device” (e.g., a debit card) and to “obtain[] anything of value aggregating $1,000 or more.” More precisely, the indictment accuses Laundrie of using a Capitol One debit card and its requisite PIN to access more than $1,000 between the dates of Aug. 30 and Sept. 1. The indictment says the alleged debits occurred “in the District of Wyoming and elsewhere.”

[...]

If found, tried, and convicted, Laundrie faces a possible ten-year prison sentence and a fine of up to $250,000 in connection with his current single-count federal indictment in Wyoming.

[...]

I do agree it's a funny niche trend that has developed. It's almost like a step-down from having a camper van, and I think the van-lifers see it as more 'authentic' and 'virtuous' becuase they are doing it in the most base way.

Like you say, it's technically elective holiday homelessness for a short period of time. It's OK if there are no other alternatives, or you are going to a place so remote there is nowhere to stay. But otherwise, nope.

Most van-lifers are of a certain age that need Wi-Fi and constant contact. They probably haven't had much experience with proper bushwhacking or backpacking, or true wilderness living, so use gas stoves or restaurants and not camp fires.

It's a short term adventure holiday for those that can afford it, to live like a homeless person temporarily. It's a weird thing when you think about it.....
MOO.

That IME is not at all an accurate picture of van life and why people are choosing it or even who is choosing it. Many are choosing it because cost of living is so out of whack with wages. I have a millennial (gasp) child who can speak 5 languages and has an advantaged degree in a desirable field and she can’t find start pay above $35k. They’ve looked into van or tiny house living for this reason alone.

And as someone who is all over these areas doing wildlife stuff - that’s the story of a lot of people that are out there camping long term. They can’t afford a house or rent - AND with that has come the push to live more simply, avoid the rat race of overworked and under paid just to “get by”.
Less things more experiences.

Sure a lot of the “influencers” are adventure holiday people with money - However, most of the people that are out there are NOT that at all.

And they aren’t of a certain age range IME. Again, perhaps the influencers are but by and large the people doing this are anywhere from 18-75. There is no specific age demographic and I’d venture to say more are older than you’d expect (late 30s and above)

Yes, if he were in the reserve? I'm betting no. Having lived in Texas all my life, I would be the 1st to say that FL swamp land is not the type of terrain you want to camp in. The bugs alone would kill you in short order, or the infection you would have after about a week. In my opinion, he was never in the reserve.
The only way he is there is if he’s hanging from a tree. I hope they are looking up!

OK. Thanks. I guess(?) that's a plea for help. Kinda indirect, IMO. Seems that if there was any strong interest in obtaining the help, it'd be worded a bit differently... like, maybe, beginning "We ask that the public...". In any case, they're not looking for the public to 'keep-their-eyes-open' for Laundrie, stay away from him due to some danger/threat, or anything like that. Interesting. Thanks, again.
Definitely interesting. He’s not even on the FBI website as a wanted man. If they had reason to believe he was a threat to anyone other than himself surely he would’ve been added by now. /jmo

This is interesting, Brian E is reporting when he asked BL's atty if BL had taken a gun with him, the atty answered "unknown".

"The Laundrie family attorney says Brian did not have a cell phone or wallet when he left the house Tuesday. When we asked him if Brian had a weapon -- he said "unknown." And he didn't respond when asked where the cell phone is now."
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin

Question because I know nothing about Law- if BL's attorney knows where he is at, is he protected by the attorney client privilege cause to not have to disclose that information to LE if attorney had that conversation prior to his warrant?

In my opinion.
The parents will not be charged with anything.
It does not matter what they knew or didn't Know. They will never tell and they have a right to keep their mouth shut. I won't speculate on their character.
BL will be found, close to home, or somewhere he is familiar with. I don't think he will be camping out.
I believe it is unlikely, he will say anything once he is arrested. Ever!
I believe they will have plenty of evidence to connect him to the crime from the scene, the van, the electronics, and so fourth.
Most people go through life oblivious to there surroundings. Someone posted earlier about how easy it is to hide in plain site. I agree, but in this case, I believe there are enough people out there right not being hypervigilant that someone will spot him.
I believe there is a slim chance he will turn himself in, but a chance none the less.
As for his mental state. I won't speculate on rather or not he has some condition. Some people are just evil.

If Brian left his phone at home (they said he didn’t take a phone so I assume they have possession of it to know that, or have traced and found it), could that be the ‘intelligence’ that led them to the reserve? Google searches about entry points, about how to kill oneself etc? Because if so, and if he knowingly left this phone to be retrieved, I would assume that was planted information intended to mislead investigators. I’m sure the investigators consider that too. The intelligence they have, even if texts or pings about that location could easily be planted to mislead them. But they’re pretty much required to follow-up on the most plausible intelligence.

I actually think Brian is smarter than some of y’all are giving him credit for. I don’t personally believe the murder was a masterminded criminal plan. I think he was probably very upset that Gabby died at his hands. But then, when put under pressure, I think he got his **** together and formulated a plan, and as a true crime/satirical horror fan, I think he had some ideas about how to finagle his way out of this without a clear trace. Jumped into action, so to speak. I think the attention just increases his adrenaline and makes him feel powerful and good at evading, which hopefully will lead to careless mistakes and ego that will help with catching him down the line. Once things calm down. I do think he probably was initially devastated by what happened, but now it is not “about Gabby” for him anymore, now it is “about the chase”. And in the midst of this intensity, I’m sure if he is alive and covering his tracks, he’s being very manipulatively thoughtful about how to do so. It won’t be until things settle down that he feels confident in coming out and about and that’s when he’ll be caught.

I just want to reply to myself here to say I’m so confused my opinion changes every minute.

I think he’s either smarter than we think and outrunning the FBI with all his hiking and true crime knowledge and potential planning (some people CAN go off the map and not be found) — or he’s a regular old wannabe youtuber survivalist young adult who doesn’t know anything but somehow has had a few lucky breaks and is evading the FBI safely in a lanoi or something, scared shitless or already dead.

I can’t get a read on it. I have a lot of thoughts but I want to write them out clearly so I’m going to sit on it longer. My thoughts will be regarding 1) whether he did or did not have remorse or sadness following GP’s death 2) whether there was or was not planning involved prior to the killing 3) whether there was or was not planning involved after the killing 4) and what all of this could mean (sort of psychologically profiling the situation and behaviors from all sides)…….but I need more time to parse it out. I’ve spent too much time here this week I need a cup of coffee….

I do agree it's a funny niche trend that has developed. It's almost like a step-down from having a camper van, and I think the van-lifers see it as more 'authentic' and 'virtuous' becuase they are doing it in the most base way.

Like you say, it's technically elective holiday homelessness for a short period of time. It's OK if there are no other alternatives, or you are going to a place so remote there is nowhere to stay. But otherwise, nope.

Most van-lifers are of a certain age that need Wi-Fi and constant contact. They probably haven't had much experience with proper bushwhacking or backpacking, or true wilderness living, so use gas stoves or restaurants and not camp fires.

It's a short term adventure holiday for those that can afford it, to live like a homeless person temporarily. It's a weird thing when you think about it.....

MOO.
My husband is totally "in" to the van life thing - or at least the idea of it. We bought a cargo van a few years ago that he outfitted with a nice bunk bed and a little kitchen area. It's very cute/cool and I can handle camping in it for about two days, but that's it - it's way too claustrophobic for me. I can't imagine going on a cross country trip in that small of a space - I'm sure we would be fighting a lot.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is the hard drive that was taken as evidence definitely an external from the van? If so, that’s a strike against premeditated, right? I find it hard to believe there isn’t at least some raw footage on there that would capture moments of tension that he wouldn’t want others to see, so he’d dump it ASAP.
Yep. It's a 5 terabyte external Western Digital drive. Modest, IMO, but kinda large for a four month sightseeing trip... even with aspirations of Youtubing.

SEP 25, 2021
Gabby Petito: Long Island Hometown Holds Memorial for 22-Year-Old – NBC New York
[...]

"In life Gabby was a bright shining star, and now in her death she is the brightest star," family friend, NG, said Friday.

NG was one of many mourners to stop and a message or flowers for the growing memorial. The Portland woman, who knew Petito all her life, was supposed to play host to the traveling couple once they finished their cross-country trip around Halloween.

"Of course the thing that will haunt me forever was that I never had a suspicion about Brian, not a clue. She seemed so happy," NG said.

[...]

"You walk into the room and she just lit up the entire room. She was always happy, always smiling. You'd never think anything like this would happen to her," said TM, a childhood friend of Gabby.

[...]

Blue Point Fire Department | Facebook
242439187_4762448827107662_1407348858876982067_n.jpg

I think it was a dark fantasy he finally carried out. If you look at his drawings, books he read and his anger. They can point to a unstable, deranged person. Im not saying that everyone that reads dark literature is a type of sociopath. Some just dont know reality from fantasy.

Thank you for that resource. I didn't think it was a dodgy resource at all, just wondered if it was typical for young men. According to the site you shared, I don't think users split 60/40 women/men, rather the 40% is showing that Genz men were up 40% from last year. Tho, to be fair, they cite their data, but make the data hard to dig into and find, lol! They certainly WANT more men. MOO! Still, thank you much, that was interesting!

My son is GenZ and wouldn't be caught dead on pinterest and I don't know personally know any male who uses it. I think you're right about pinterest wanting to attract more men.

Well I think the wording is fairly strong: "We urge individuals with knowledge of Mr. Laundrie's role in this matter or his current whereabouts to contact the FBI." (Emphasis mine.)

I think there's a difference between "tell us if you know something about what happened or where BL is" and "be on the lookout for this guy." I think the blurb is saying the former the way I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni