Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #35

Where do you think BL is right now?

• Mexico

Votes: 50 7.1%
  • Cuba

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Canada

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Carlton Reserve, FL

Votes: 98 13.8%
  • Somewhere else in FL

Votes: 166 23.4%
  • New York

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • Somewhere else in the US

Votes: 306 43.2%
  • Somewhere else in the world

Votes: 32 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe this is exactly true. A powered off phone, even a phone with the battery removed, still has power. Electronics with power (even very low power state) are able to transmit signals, and those signals can be detected. Phones that are off can also be remotely interrogated and even turned on, including activating camera and microphone and GPS.

Just my opinion and conjecture.
I was asking about this a couple threads back & got some amazingly detailed answers. Apparently a phone can be tracked even if it’s off. One method explained to me was it can be found using the phone’s IMEI. I don’t understand it well enough to re-explain it! But if anyone does a search for that or phone tracking in this forum, in the last couple of threads, some really good information should come up.

I know people sometimes make maps for cases like this. I haven't seen a map of the area he was hitch-hiking around in. I don't have the skills to do it, but I think it would be really cool to see a map showing that little area and the reported hitch-hiking encounters there.
Here is an amazing map of the case someone compiled and posted in a previous thread. I don't know who to give credit to because I had to search for it in my google chrome history, but it's a great resource

GP - Google My Maps

MOO: we have a couple who have been together off and on for years. Friends and family who report nothing in the way of red flags that something like this could have happened to GP. (Even Rose, who I think is the only one reporting seeing controlling behavior.) They’d even traveled together extensively before. What’s the new variable? VanLife SM? Any others?

People missing the signs is what the variable is.
This wasn't some great relationship that had an added stress or variable that made it awful IMO.

Not being rude but people aren't aware of the signs of relationship red flags so they tend to look back and say "there were none". Anyone who is trauma informed or even just psychologically informed can see them from a mile away.

GP's family and friends in Long Island saying they didn't know him (evasive) - red flag
Moving in together far away from her parents and established relationships rather early on in the relationship (isolating) - red flag
The early public proclamations of undying love or love until death (love bombing) - red flag
No apparent work ethic or goals aside drifting around (lack of ethics) - red flag

All those red flags escalate over time. Toss them in a high stress situation and they escalate at a more rapid and toxic pace.

Last edited:
There is nothing more painful than realizing as a verbally abused person that people will always buy the story of the manipulative abuser. Your own family will believe the abuser. Until you’ve stood in front of one of these soulless demons you can’t know how demoralized and defenseless you become. They find your most painful buttons and push them hard and often so you will react and they can laugh as you cry, or defend yourself. The are high on the power to make you sad or angry. The tears are like drugs to these people. If GP hated his dirty feet messing up the van you can be sure he did it every single time. It’s a game for them.

There has been nothing confirmed about that supposed flight in any way shape or form. Just that GP's family said it happened.
I still have my doubts that it ever occurred.

Exactly!

Which begs the question..

If BL didn't fly home to FL for a week, then where was he for an entire week in the van whilst GP was holed up in a hotel in Salt Lake City!?

No, IMO I highly doubt Brian would walk because the scenario you described likely would not meet the threshold of "reasonable doubt" (although ultimately that decision would fall on the jury). I think the biggest roadblock to the hypothetical scenario you described being enough to create reasonable doubt is the fact that the location where she was killed was not (from what I can tell) a well-trafficked or even moderately-trafficked area. Spread Creek is a dispersed campground that, from what I can tell, is quite out-of-the-way and seems to be visited only by other campers rather than people just passing by. In the Red White & Bethune video that presumably was taken around the time of Gabby's death, there are only a few other campers and they are quite spread out.

This, IMO, will be a problem for the defense because it requires convincing the jury that someone happened to stumble upon Gabby at this remote dispersed campground. MOO the location alone strongly discounts the killed-by-someone-passing-by theory and would probably be even further discredited by the prosecution.

Since it seems unlikely that someone who did not camp at Spread Creek would drive down the road past the spot where the van was parked, a slightly more believable theory might be that she was killed by another camper. That alternative quickly slips out of reasonable doubt territory too, though. We know that the FBI has asked anyone who used the Spread Creek between August 27 and 30 and may have seen Gabby or the van to come forward, so my guess is that most people who were there will have been interviewed by authorities and thus effectively ruled out as viable 'alternate suspects'. MOO.
A couple of questions:
1. What is the crime rate in that particular camper/tourist community, and what is the nature of those crimes. Theft? Battery? Drug dealing? Sexual assault?
2. Would possible assailants avail themselves to LE interviews, or leave the area?

People missing the obvious signs is what the variable is.
This wasn't some great relationship that had an added stress or variable that made it awful.

Not being rude but people aren't aware of the signs of relationship red flags so they tend to look back and say "there were none". Anyone who is trauma informed or even just psychologically informed can see them from a mile away.

GP's family and friends in Long Island saying they didn't know him - red flag
Moving in together far away from her parents and established relationships rather early on in the relationship - red flag
The public proclamations of undying love or love until death - red flag
No apparent work ethic or goals aside drifting around - red flag

I am both trauma informed and psychologically informed. I don’t take personal offense to your claim, but at least in my case, it doesn’t apply. You don’t have to believe me, and I respect that it is up to you. But I know that it not true about myself.

Exactly!

If BL didn't fly home to FL for a week, then where was he for an entire week in the van whilst GP was holed up in a hotel in Salt Lake City!?
Are you saying, that it’s possible she lied to her parents and said he had to fly home for some reason, so they’d pay for the hotel, because she was embarrassed to tell them the truth about where he was?

And that’s why only her family has mentioned that claim?

If not, what are you saying? Genuinely asking, I hadn’t even considered that.

How does her dad thinking he was ordering Uber eats for “them” play into that?

I know people sometimes make maps for cases like this. I haven't seen a map of the area he was hitch-hiking around in. I don't have the skills to do it, but I think it would be really cool to see a map showing that little area and the reported hitch-hiking encounters there.

I am working on one now!

Exactly!

I'm also not sold she was holed up in a hotel for a week. There's been nothing to confirm any of this. Only GP's parents know (some?) or (parts) of it.
I think it's entirely possible that BL left with her van, phone and card after a fight.

GP was stuck so she called dad and asked him to cover for a hotel for a night or two and made up the excuse that he had gone back to FL. I'm sure that LE has a lot more information about what happened that week including how long GP was in a hotel, who paid for it and if there are or are not flight records. Would be super interesting to know what they know on that week.

People missing the signs is what the variable is.
This wasn't some great relationship that had an added stress or variable that made it awful IMO.

GP's family and friends in Long Island saying they didn't know him - red flag
Moving in together far away from her parents and established relationships rather early on in the relationship (known as isolating) - red flag
The early public proclamations of undying love or love until death - red flag
No apparent work ethic or goals aside drifting around - red flag

All those red flags escalate over time. Toss them in a high stress situation and they escalate at a more rapid and toxic pace.

To clarify, I am not saying there was not volatility in their relationship. The pattern of breaking up off and on, showed that. I am well aware of patterns of abuse, through personal history and through study. But, I still think after 4-5 months of close contact (two trips) and new pressures might have been what set off the death of one of them....or both. That is all I am saying here. I hope they release the autopsy results soon. Hopefully that might shed more light.

I think she had gotten serious about growing a social media presence with the long-term goal of becoming a professional travel writer, and he couldn't deal with the idea of her having her own hopes and dreams.
You beat me to it, Aescwynn! I was gonna post that perhaps Gabby was getting a bit more independent in her skills and her plans for the future. Maybe he felt threatened; maybe she kept encouraging him to get more serious on having a "real job." She was looking beyond "today," and he wasn't. I don't see her nagging him about it -- I'm sure she knew better than that. But maybe he felt that his control over her was lessening. Built-up jealousy, perhaps, and certainly a bit of anger and probably a bit of misogyny... And then it just blew up.

I am both trauma informed and psychologically informed. I don’t take personal offense to your claim, but at least in my case, it doesn’t apply. You don’t have to believe me, and I respect that it is up to you. But I know that it not true about myself.

I'm not sure what part you are saying isn't true "about yourself".
I wasn't talking about you?

I was referring to the people in GP's situation who are saying they didn't see red flags. Likely because they aren't trained or aware in order to notice them. Not that it was some situation that "broke the camels back" so to speak.

Are you saying, that it’s possible she lied to her parents and said he had to fly home for some reason, so they’d pay for the hotel, because she was embarrassed to tell them the truth about where he was?

I have suspected for awhile that GP told her mother a story about BL flying home to move things in or out of storage, and did not tell her Dad about BL leaving at all. I don’t know what happened that week that she stayed at the hotel, but I do not believe her parents are convinced they know the truth either.

I wasn't actually meaning that BUT that's a great point you've raised regarding maybe GP did lie because she felt embarrassed that they'd run out of money? Perhaps that's a plausible option.

However, what I was getting at was did BL tell GP he was flying home, but he didn't actually go home?

He took the van though. We know he liked to be out in the wilderness doing his own thing. Did he tell her he was flying home, left in the van, and just literally hiked for a week somewhere?

I don't believe there are ANY confirmed sightings of him during the week that he was supposedly back home in FL.

As always, happy to be corrected on this as there has been so much info to mull over and digest with this case.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member