GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reporter who tweeted about the crime scene investigators returning to remove the limb (and posted pictures of both the flowers at the site her body was found and investigators putting the limb into the crime scene van) posted his tweet on July 30th. So that would have been, what - 3 days after she was killed?

The tweet in question: https://twitter.com/zacontv/status/1421228472748417027?lang=en
Just about…the pic I posted was taken on the 29th.

Thanks for the link! rbbm.
That really says something when the Chief says crime scene was hard to stomach, imo.
So only ''at least one'' person spotted on cctv came forward, hmmm, maybe time for a billboard? speculation.

''Police said Janness had been stabbed multiple times and Atlanta police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene as "gruesome" and "hard to stomach."

In August, the APD released a series of photos of people who were in the area the night Janness was killed and may have seen something. According to APD, The people shown in the previously released videos and photos are not considered suspects and authorities are encouraging them to contact detectives and aid in this investigation.

Since then, at least one person in the photos has reached out to Atlanta police and is cooperating with the investigation.''

Thanks for the link! rbbm.
That really says something when the Chief says crime scene was hard to stomach, imo.
So only ''at least one'' person spotted on cctv came forward, hmmm, maybe time for a billboard? speculation.

''Police said Janness had been stabbed multiple times and Atlanta police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene as "gruesome" and "hard to stomach."

In August, the APD released a series of photos of people who were in the area the night Janness was killed and may have seen something. According to APD, The people shown in the previously released videos and photos are not considered suspects and authorities are encouraging them to contact detectives and aid in this investigation.

Since then, at least one person in the photos has reached out to Atlanta police and is cooperating with the investigation.''

In my opinion there is no way someone in those surveillance videos is unaware that a murder took place in the park that night. No way they are unaware that the police would like to talk to them...they either saw the appeal by LE themselves or a friend etc told them. They should have at least come forward so police can cross them off the list.
They may be afraid because they themselves were up to no good...so LE needs to make it clear they are not interested in that, just come talk. They may be afraid because they did see something and it was horrible and traumatic...so LE needs to offer protection and comfort, but just come talk. They may just be washing their hands of it and refusing to help their community...which is a shame. They may be the killer.

In my opinion there is no way someone in those surveillance videos is unaware that a murder took place in the park that night. No way they are unaware that the police would like to talk to them...they either saw the appeal by LE themselves or a friend etc told them. They should have at least come forward so police can cross them off the list.
They may be afraid because they themselves were up to no good...so LE needs to make it clear they are not interested in that, just come talk. They may be afraid because they did see something and it was horrible and traumatic...so LE needs to offer protection and comfort, but just come talk. They may just be washing their hands of it and refusing to help their community...which is a shame. They may be the killer.
In my opinion, the person most likely to have seen something was the jogger. We know he has talked to police. Many of the others were on the other side of the park or leaving before the murder. The police want to talk to them presumably to ask them who ELSE they saw in the park. Are they evading? Perhaps. But if APD actually thought any of them might be the killer, I can't believe they and the FBI wouldn't have been able to identify them after two months.

Not everyone watches the news. This reminds me of the many other cases that seem solvable, but aren't.

Does anyone know if KJ and Bowie stopped by Campagnola (where she bartended) that night? It's in the immediate vicinity. If so, did she go to Henry's Tavern to see EC first or did she stop by Campagnola first?

Based on the cam footage at the rainbow crosswalk, her and Bowie, if walking to Piedmont Park were headed towards a different entrance- maybe 11th street or 12th street. Based on how the direction they were crossing the street makes me think they may have gone thru the park for their walk and were exiting from Charles Allen to walk back home when something happened.

Do we know if the time stamps were accurate on the street cam footage?

Something that has been bothering me, is that Park Tavern had a $1 beer night the night (July 27th so technically the ‘night’ before as Katie was found on the 28th) Katie was walking around with Bowie. I’m sure LE is looking at surrounding bars etc and investigating those avenues. But Park Tavern is SUPER close to where she was found. I saw this on Park Tavern’s Instagram page.

This hits home for all the obvious reasons- but also because I'm literally looking for apartments in those few blocks around Piedmont and 10th for an upcoming move. Given the silence from LE- no answers to the public- I just don't feel safe walking around much less walking my dog at night and am looking for buildings with an enclosed dog run etc.

Does anyone know if KJ and Bowie stopped by Campagnola (where she bartended) that night? It's in the immediate vicinity. If so, did she go to Henry's Tavern to see EC first or did she stop by Campagnola first?

Based on the cam footage at the rainbow crosswalk, her and Bowie, if walking to Piedmont Park were headed towards a different entrance- maybe 11th street or 12th street. Based on how the direction they were crossing the street makes me think they may have gone thru the park for their walk and were exiting from Charles Allen to walk back home when something happened.

Do we know if the time stamps were accurate on the street cam footage?
The time stamps on the rainbow crosswalk pic & possible witness photos/videos have been questioned in thread one. IMO I think they are correct. Don't see any reason LE would release them to MSM if they were inaccurate. There has been some gaps in time that can't be explained due to lack of info. I.e. EC stated in interview w/MSM that KJ left Henry's at 11:30 pm. The next time shown is 12:09am in the rainbow crosswalk. It should not have taken 39 minutes to walk from 10th & Juniper to 10th & Piedmont with a young 3 yr old dog. IMO either KJ & Bowie took a detour, made a stop or EC stated the incorrect time. Also IMO I have always leaned towards the idea that KJ & Bowie entered the park at the end of the 'little' 11th street where there is a doggie waste station & walkway going towards 10th St.

Very strange that there has been no news on this. I hate the idea that someone might actually get away with this.

I don't think the no activity/no new news indicates someone will get away with this crime. The ATL DA's office is so busy that they can't keep up with indictments. This is how bad it is:

"Accused violent felons are eligible for release in Georgia due to backlog

Officials in Georgia will be required to release accused criminals from jail while they're awaiting indictment because of a backlog of cases that grew during the pandemic, according to the Fulton County District Attorney."

Accused violent felons are eligible for release in Georgia due to backlog

I'm not sure how that directly affects police work but I know police are super busy in Atlanta. I'm sure that behind the scenes they continue to gather evidence and tips. I'm a little surprised it's taking this long too, though.

Eventually, this killer will be found and prosecuted. But it might take awhile.

Police staffing in Atlanta never recovered after the way the Atlanta Mayor handled the Rayshard Brooks incident. She condemned the officer (rightly or wrongly, I'm not saying) long before any investigation. This soured her with the APD. I think it's one of the main reasons she's (the mayor) not running for re-election.
Add in record crime and a high murder rate with larger than expected resignations from the police force and it's a recipe for disaster. Even before you get to the mess that is the Fulton County DA's office (the DA is new, she inherited much of the mess).

What’s at stake in the Atlanta mayor’s race?
Oct 5 2021
''Crime’s the biggest issue, correct?
Yes. Homicides in June were up nearly 60 percent compared to the same time last year. Like in nearly every other major U.S. city, each day seems to bring another news report of a shooting. Brazen acts of violence and robberies in parts of Buckhead have fueled an effort by some residents to break away from Atlanta and create their own city. The recent killings of Midtown bartender Katherine Janness and her dog in Piedmont Park, and the kidnapping and murder of Mariam Abdulrab in southeast Atlanta, have put residents on edge.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member