Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been posted b4. With the news on this case moving so fast I never thought to look for this until now. Sarasota County has detailed maps of the reserve.
Find a Park | Sarasota County, FL
The organization "Friends of the Carlton Reserve" also has a sit with map and trail camera information.
Wildlife of the Carlton
It looks like the organization has not updated this in some years. But the pictures from the trail cam are alarming.

We have heard about the alligators and snakes, but these 2 sites also reveal coyotes and bobcats. During the flood season I would guess these animals flee for dry ground but still, I can't imagine anyone living in there and surviving.

So far the lawyer has just been texting with reporters so I don't think he's in the house.

But even if people are represented by counsel, the FBI does not have to contact their lawyer to execute a search warrant. They can just show up and start taking things. If you have a good working relationship with the FBI agents and the AUSA handling your case they may give you the courtesy of informing you of their plans but they have no duty to. They just can't question your clients once they request their lawyer.
Just curious if they can refuse them entrance?

Could be, but my immediate reaction was remains.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Remains would suggest he's been in that swamp all along, which in turn would suggest that he didn't flee with money, supplies, food etc to a comfy cabin in the woods somewhere c/o assistance from his parents.

The parents demeanor suggests they've known he was somewhere safe, not somewhere where he was potentially struggling to survive.

They've shown no panic, no grief, no devastation or worry. These would be natural reactions and emotions if your son was truly in a place where he'd be struggling to survive after a couple of days.

I've always said if he IS in the swamp, he won't be found alive, but the very reactions of his parents (or lack thereof) have made me almost certain he's not in there.

MOO

To be fair I do think that's a bit of a stretch. Rightly or wrongly in this type of situation I think many would think of the male as the aggressor. The officer would have to have extreme bias towards women to suggest and lead a witness this way.

The witness was very clear and precise with his version of events. Plus, Gabby and Brian said pretty much the same when they were pulled over.

It is a very common misconception that a witness' clarity or confidence is a marker of accuracy, but unfortunately, there is little correlation between confidence and accuracy in eyewitness testimony.

Here we have two accounts, from neutral parties, that conflict. One came from someone who pulled over to the side of the road to call as the event was unfolding. The other was written at least an hour and a half later when the police went back to talk to a witness who had left a phone number (both named Chris, not clear if it was the same person, but it seems not to have been based on the written statement that said that the writer had left a phone number and does not mention having called 911). It is absolutely the case that a contemporaneous account will be the more accurate of the two in almost every instance, there really is no question about that.

Women are not uncommonly misunderstood to be the aggressors when they defend themselves from DV.

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/she_hit_me.pdf

Understanding Domestic Abusers: Gender and Intimate Partner Violence - Gender and domestic abuse - NYS OPDV

SEP 26, 2021
Gabby Petito case: Dispatch recordings show Utah police were told male struck female | Fox News
[...]

"RP (reporting party) states a seeing male hit a female, domestic," the dispatcher states at around 4:38 p.m. MT on they day of the incident. "He got into a white Ford Transit van, has a black ladder on the back, Florida plate."

[...]

After an officer asks for the witness’ phone number and victim location, the dispatcher again indicates that Laundrie had struck Petito.

"Phone number is [redacted], name’s [redacted]," the dispatcher responds at 4:42 p.m. "I’m not sure [inaudible], but the female who got hit, they both, the male and the female, both got into the van and headed north."

Audio on the bodycam recording begins at 4:44 p.m.

[...]

I am trying to think why if it was just accidental manslaughter or just an accident, he figured he would have to be on the run instead of just turning himself in. It seems like he thought the autopsy would show direct evidence of physical assault of the body (such as strangulation or stabbing or some such COD) that would be hard to defend as completely accidental or in self defense. Also, what did he tell his parents? If he just told them that Gabby had gone missing and he wanted to take some time off to reflect, that would be completely different from if he told them she was dead and he was responsible and needed to escape to avoid being caught. I can't really imagine it would be the latter even if he had indeed caused her death. MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEP 26, 2021
Gabby Petito case: Dispatch recordings show Utah police were told male struck female | Fox News
[...]

"RP (reporting party) states a seeing male hit a female, domestic," the dispatcher states at around 4:38 p.m. MT on they day of the incident. "He got into a white Ford Transit van, has a black ladder on the back, Florida plate."

The dispatch audio, first obtained by the investigative unit at FOX 13 Utah, shows the dispatcher did in fact inform the officers of allegations that Laundrie had been he aggressor – shedding new light on a situation that initially seemed like police didn't know about the witness' claims.

[...]
They could have saved her life. I am just floored.

Sara Ballou on Twitter
BREAKING:@mikerreports
reveals that Moab dispatcher disclosed to police that #BrianLaundrie hit #GabbyPetito before they arrived on scene. “The officers involved will likely face disciplinary action,” said Utah attorney Brett Tolman.
3:40 PM · Sep 26, 2021 from North Port, FL·Twitter for iPhone
THIS IS TOTALLY UNSURPRISING TO ME, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE 911 CALLER REPORTED!

ugh. I just wish this news had come out sooner.

To be fair, I think the first officer at the scene knew that when he arrived, but got hopelessly confused and muddled by BL's affiliative behavior and by the bearded LE officer when he showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth