Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS TOTALLY UNSURPRISING TO ME, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE 911 CALLER REPORTED!

ugh. I just wish this news had come out sooner.

To be fair, I think the first officer at the scene knew that when he arrived, but got hopelessly confused and muddled by BL's affiliative behavior and by the bearded LE officer when he showed up.

I agree. I hope no one faults law enforcement here: I feel they did an excellent job. But I know people will. Sigh.

The article you pointed to as example says this of the subject: "Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy. "

"It's very unusual and is not likely to repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

I know. I have read the article. He also said that it's unusual for coyotes to hunt in packs to take down a larger human, but this time they did it. Your blanket statement that "no one over 4 needs to worry about coyote attacks" is wrong.

I need to have a look as I didn't copy it but there's another report from the second Officer who arrived on scene. Will go and see if I can find it!
Here is the full report: https://s3-assets.eastidahonews.com...1/09/15132647/Petito_Redacted_Watermarked.pdf

Officer Eric Pratt responded to the Moonflower and took the phone number of Christopher, who subsequently wrote the witness statement. Officer Daniel Robbins followed up at 7 PM to get the written statement.

I am trying to think why if it was just accidental manslaughter or just an accident, he figured he would have to be on the run instead of just turning himself in. It seems like he thought the autopsy would show direct evidence of physical assault of the body (such as strangulation or stabbing or some such COD) that would be hard to defend as completely accidental or in self defense. Also, what did he tell his parents? If he just told them that Gabby had gone missing and he wanted to take some time off to reflect, that would be completely different from if he told them she was dead and he was responsible and needed to escape to avoid being caught. I can't really imagine it would be the latter even if he had indeed caused her death. MOO.

It wasn't a accident it is called a homicide (manslaughter is a lower charge of murder). BL knows he committed a crime with severe consequences. Innocent people know the difference between a accident and a murder and they usually don't runaway.

Hmm that's interesting. The way she's holding it is unusual too. Like holding it from underneath. The shape is unusual, almost like one of those hand scrubbing brushes IMO.

Anyone have any guesses as to what it might be based on the shape?

FBI returns to Brian Laundrie's home amid Gabby Petito case

View attachment 314727

I zoomed in and it looks like it could be a baseball cap rolled up, or an article of clothing folded as small as it could be folded so it could fit in that wrapping.

Hmm that's interesting. The way she's holding it is unusual too. Like holding it from underneath. The shape is unusual, almost like one of those hand scrubbing brushes IMO.

Anyone have any guesses as to what it might be based on the shape?

FBI returns to Brian Laundrie's home amid Gabby Petito case

View attachment 314727
It’s probably not this, but it looks like a wrapped, upside down bottle of lotion. I know that’s silly. Maybe it’s just a container that has small personal items like a brush and toothbrush.

I've given up reading the 500 posts made when I blinked, but I suspect we're all repeating stuff that's already been said.

I don't see Brian killing himself, voluntarily. He may choose death by cop, or kill himself as the net closes in, but is he didn't feel suicide was an option when he allegedly murdered Gabby and dumped her body, then I think he wants to live.

I'm interested in what his longterm plan is.

He had 3 weeks to decide what to do next. 3 weeks with parents who appear to be willing to cover his back and lie to LE and the FBI.

Neighbours saw the Laundries packing up a camper which they then disappeared with for 2 days. Noticeably, they haven't mentioned seeing Brian, there's just an assumption that he went with them.

I'm not sure he made it home. He could have been met by his parents en route and his parents then took the van.

We know the Laundries have extremely questionable behaviour, so maybe they though a weekend away would be a nice break, but I still think it was potentially for two reasons:

1) To dispose of evidence
2) To prepare for Brian's disappearance.

Gabby's family had by then contacted both Brian and his parents about the well-being and whereabouts of Gabby. The Laundries must have realised that LE could visit them regarding this at any time.

He may have still had some clothing that potentially had Gabby's blood on them. There could have been an item used in Gabby's murder. If they got rid of these things close to home, they may have been found, but items disposed of 500 miles away would be very unlikely to have been connected with Brian and Gabby.

I have no idea where they went, but potentially they could have even bought a cheap car or van from Craigslist for Brian. They could have left food/money/disguises/clothing/a burner phone at various places along a pre-determined route. They could even have booked an Airbnb, hostel or campsites at various places ahead of time.

Remember how that photo of someone who looked like Brian in Florida was dismissed most people solely because the man in the photo had a tattooed arm? All he needs is some temporary tattoos and he grow a beard and he could look very different.

I think it's very likely the camper van left the Laundries home packed with camping equipment and came home empty.

Brian's freedom depends on being unseen, but ultimately this level of press and LE interest won't last forever. If he can lay low for a while and he is somewhere that isn't the swamp, he could be on the run for years.

The issue will be with money. I'm assuming camping out in most of the US in the winter is essentially a death sentence even in a van so he'll need to be somewhere warm to survive the winter or to rent accommodation.

His family aren't going to be able to send him money for an undetermined amount of time, as obviously LE will be watching them. Can they even afford to financially support him long term?

LE will be all over their finances, so will be able to see if they've recently withdrawn a lot of money.

Could there be a friend or extended family member who is helping him. If he's camping, he won't need huge amounts of money which can be transferred in a variety of ways.

The big questions are whether he's planning to go off grid until this calms down, or for ever and is he capable of doing this long term? I think it could be yes for both, assuming he can stay safe and well.
<modsnip - removed image due to no url link to source>

Agreed. Excellent post.
Temporary tattoos are drawn with a sharpie, an easy disguise. Makeup can cover existing tatts. DermAblend.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted b4. With the news on this case moving so fast I never thought to look for this until now. Sarasota County has detailed maps of the reserve.
Find a Park | Sarasota County, FL
The organization "Friends of the Carlton Reserve" also has a sit with map and trail camera information.
Wildlife of the Carlton
It looks like the organization has not updated this in some years. But the pictures from the trail cam are alarming.

We have heard about the alligators and snakes, but these 2 sites also reveal coyotes and bobcats. During the flood season I would guess these animals flee for dry ground but still, I can't imagine anyone living in there and surviving.

Coyotes and bobcats are probably not a threat unless one is injured and/or near death. More concerning would be the puma shown by the trailcam.

Attachments

• Puma.JPG
    Puma.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 67
I agree. I hope no one faults law enforcement here: I feel they did an excellent job. But I know people will. Sigh.
Oh, no, I did not mean to imply that I thought they did a good job. I think they tried, but i think their handling probably made things worse for GP, despite the good intentions of the first officer on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti