Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been in this thread every now and then. Still trying to figure out why he wanted to get to Jackson Wyoming so badly. One other note to add , so they were having lunch together mere hours before the Youtubers spotted his van in the campground….super eerie if they had stopped to say hi or something like they had wanted….!

(MOO) BL wanted to project the image of being a wilderness-savvy person. It's a pretty attractive "personality" type for a young 20-something dude, for sure. It's definitely trendy. Patagonia! REI! Shark-tooth necklaces! #ADVENTURE

It's the perfect persona to assume for someone who didn't (appear to) have much going on themselves (i.e. did not have a career, lived with their parents, did not participate in girlfriend's "van life" influencer attempt).

I also keep going back to the three very different climates BL has operated in, allegedly as an "outdoorsman." His hometown of New York (Long Island) and his supposed stints on the Appalachian Trail ; "barefoot" hiking (during summer?!) in the deserts and plains of the American West; and Carlton Reserve, swamps, Florida.

Skills for surviving (let alone thriving) in each of those climates are distinct. I find it very hard to believe that BL, or any 23-year old, was capable of truly understanding how to survive in all these disparate areas.

IMO, the "outdoorsman" persona is just that. He is just a regular dude.

Appalachian Trail hikers typically pack about a week's worth of food with them initially, and then typically resupply along different parts of the trail at pre-planned points by going into nearby towns along the trail and purchasing more food or simply mailing non-perishable food supplies to different post offices along the way before setting out at the beginning. There are really no particular survival skills needed for trail hiking of this nature other than a rudimentary knowledge of finding shelter at night (usually the small tent you packed with you). The trail is clearly marked in most places and although the hike is rigorous in places, it doesn't require superhuman physical ability by any means.

Something that had crossed my mind was where GP and BL would fight. The two recorded instances occurred when commerce when involved, at the moonflower co-op and Merry Piglets. I wonder if money was a major factor in the conflict between the two.

Yes I have wondered that too. However, I think there were control issues as well. I have also been curious as to whether Gabby was paying for expenses more than he was in return for him driving her, taking photos for her and being a companion, etc.

Last edited:
What exactly is an influencer? I had never heard of "van life" until this case which I'm sure is a reflection of my age and generation. What I do find surprising is at the age of 23 BL was still living at home and both he and Gabby were working at menial jobs. That isn't an attractive lifestyle yet living out of a tiny converted van for months without running water is attractive?

The van life has always been a thing...it just hasn't always been called that. It has always appealed to those who want to simultaneously rule their own lives/ worlds and be somewhat freed of traditional responsibilities.

Does anyone remember when someone posted a list of all the times the police had gone to the Laundrie house? I'm looking for that attachment, but I do not know how to search websleuths for attachments. Anyone have that list by chance?
Try searching delmar and balboa then following it back. There was a lot of discussion about that location right after the att. Was posted

Edited for misspelling of delmar. Sorry

Last edited:
Does anyone remember when someone posted a list of all the times the police had gone to the Laundrie house? I'm looking for that attachment, but I do not know how to search websleuths for attachments. Anyone have that list by chance?
And if you find it, would you bring to this thread? I wouldn’t mind a second look

I wouldn't use "regular dude" to describe anything about BL. I think he greatly embellished everything he said or did and that Gabby was his ticket to popularity in high school. The very real tragedy is that Gabby couldn't see the very deep flaws in his personality.

What exactly is an influencer? I had never heard of "van life" until this case which I'm sure is a reflection of my age and generation. What I do find surprising is at the age of 23 BL was still living at home and both he and Gabby were working at menial jobs. That isn't an attractive lifestyle yet living out of a tiny converted van for months without running water is attractive?
It's not that unusual for young adults to live at home. I lived at home until I was 24 and got married. One of my brothers lived at home until he was 29 and finished his Masters Degree. My two sons work constantly and one also goes to college. One is 25 and one is 30. Rent is expensive and it's hard to live alone and still save money. We all get along and have room, so why not?

I think that may be the least weird thing about BL, in my opinion. If he and Gabby had lived alone in an apartment, how would they have saved money for the Van Life? If they were going to get an apartment, they could have stayed in New York close to her family, but it would have been expensive. In Florida with the Laundries there was space and no rent.

Yes I have wondered that too. However, I think there were control issues as well. I have also been curious as to whether Gabby was paying for expenses more than he was in return for him driving her, taking photos for her and being a companion, etc.

Not sure if it was discussed before but one of the things that annoyed me from the first time I saw the LE bodycam footage was how quick BL was to say they had no money for GP to stay in a hotel for the night and they didn't seem to ask her about it. He was quick to say he'd go to jail for the night but obviously that would never be allowed.

Been in this thread every now and then. Still trying to figure out why he wanted to get to Jackson Wyoming so badly. One other note to add , so they were having lunch together mere hours before the Youtubers spotted his van in the campground….super eerie if they had stopped to say hi or something like they had wanted….!
That is a very good question about why BL wanted to get to Jackson. Just my opinion only, but I think he didn't want to take the van at first. I think his original plan was to leave the van where it was but hitch a ride to Jackson and find another way home - bus or plane. He asked two different drivers he rode with about going to Jackson, but ended up going back to the van and the murder scene. Maybe he was just trying to establish an alibi, thinking that he could tell police she was killed while he was searching for a ride to Jackson. But no one found her body while he was hiking and hitching, so his plan B was just to drive the van home and figure out something with his parents, which I believe is what he did.

Re: the type of injury - for some reason, I think she was pushed from behind into water (nearby stream?) and perhaps held under water; however, not sure that would look like homicide and not sure why this image has popped in my "my opinion only" head.

Re: wanting to get to Jackson - perhaps he wanted to return there and create a storyline that they argued at the restaurant and she took off in the van, leaving him behind in Jackson. Only problem is, the hitchhiking made it obvious he wasn't in Jackson.

Appalachian Trail hikers typically pack about a week's worth of food with them initially, and then typically resupply along different parts of the trail at pre-planned points by going into nearby towns along the trail and purchasing more food or simply mailing non-perishable food supplies to different post offices along the way before setting out at the beginning. There are really no particular survival skills needed for trail hiking of this nature other than a rudimentary knowledge of finding shelter at night (usually the small tent you packed with you). The trail is clearly marked in most places and although the hike is rigorous in places, it doesn't require superhuman physical ability by any means.

It's a pretty weird way to try to avoid the FBI though, is it not?
Trail walking?
To where?
I reckon he's sitting comfortably in a nice warm indoor space, playing video games and writing his drop-dead-boring manifesto in the format of someone else's creativity and it will be filled with plagiarism.
I'm cynical and annoyed at him now, whoever he is or whatever he is...

Thanks for your most informative post. As a couch potato I find these things difficult to navigate mentally.

<snipt>

You can make money in lots of ways if you get a lot of social media followers. That’s what Gabby was trying to do and it’s called being an influencer because your posts can affect followers, usually to buy things.

“Van life” is today’s version of RV life downsized because of the economy. Some people I’ve known who did “van life” didn’t have much of a choice and made the best of it until they could get back into a better situation. There are many FB groups on this that range from people looking to visit national parks over the summer to people who invest in a van to live in FT because they can’t afford any housing.

RV life tho used to be for retirees and Van Life now skews younger and with social media can be income so it gets glamorized as a lifestyle when for most people the reality is Van Life is a step away from being homeless (but better because you can be mobile).

It sounds like Gabby and BL weren’t going to be on the road forever, I thought they were going to visit a relative in the northwest and then go back to Florida? For Gabby it was probably much more free feeling to have a Van Life than living with her boyfriend’s parents and if she could make it work financially it would give her a lot more independence.

Too bad she had such a dud as a partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500