Found Deceased SC - Sheridan Wahl, 21, Myrtle Beach, 19 Sep 2021

There’s been a couple comments about the scooter rental and why she would do that. I could be totally off, but it might be one of those you can just ride along a trail or beach just for fun. They have them all over LA, I’ve seen them in cities in Canada. They had them at Venice beach. It’s just an easy nice way to see a lot with minimal effort. I’m guessing that’s what she was doing.

Very unusual that she would be found on the street but her initial autopsy didn’t point to a clear cause of death. Could it be drug overdose? Overdose on prescription medication? She was located very quickly unlike Gabby Petito and they were very quick to determine hers as a homicide. I guess another possibility is someone found her unconscious, took her keys to steal her car and ride around. Then when she turned up dead they realized they didn’t want to be blamed for it and torched the car. If I’m not mistaken the car was found two days after she was?

anyways, just some random thoughts and opinions.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier that visiting her dad might have just been an excuse for why she was actually making the trip. Then it would make perfect sense that once she was there the person she was with might have taken her car. The Instagram post may very well have been her way of threatening whoever took the car that she was considering going to the police and keeping her from going to the police could absolutely be a motive for murder.

There’s been a couple comments about the scooter rental and why she would do that. I could be totally off, but it might be one of those you can just ride along a trail or beach just for fun. They have them all over LA, I’ve seen them in cities in Canada. They had them at Venice beach. It’s just an easy nice way to see a lot with minimal effort. I’m guessing that’s what she was doing.

Very unusual that she would be found on the street but her initial autopsy didn’t point to a clear cause of death. Could it be drug overdose? Overdose on prescription medication? She was located very quickly unlike Gabby Petito and they were very quick to determine hers as a homicide. I guess another possibility is someone found her unconscious, took her keys to steal her car and ride around. Then when she turned up dead they realized they didn’t want to be blamed for it and torched the car. If I’m not mistaken the car was found two days after she was?

bolded by me for focus.

She wasn't found on the street. She was found behind a fire station training tower, 45 minutes' drive away.

ETA: correcting my comment. She was found 45 miles away....an hour's drive.

Last edited:

“The manner and cause of death in the Sheridan Wahl case is pending additional postmortem studies and investigation at this time,” von Lutcken said in an email news release. “

Not much info at the linked article.

So, if Sheridan had jumped or was pushed from the fire tower, wouldn't the injuries be obvious? This leads me to believe it was another cause. Was it set up to make it look like she jumped? If so, that's a pretty sophisticated strategy based on the fact that she was just driving along that highway. (presumably driving along that highway)

If a predator was following her, or hijacked her in her car, how would he have known about the fire training tower?

I am really confused here as to what might have happened. But then again they said the "manner" and cause. Is it the manner of death that they are stuck on? Is it that they don't want the perp to know how the investigation is going?

bolded by me for focus.

She wasn't found on the street. She was found behind a fire station training tower, 45 minutes' drive away.

ETA: correcting my comment. She was found 45 miles away....an hour's drive.

When I said street I should have just said behind fire station. I was really just emphasizing not at home or in someone’s apartment or what not.

Interesting that she was found deceased behind a volunteer fire department and that her car was found properly - properly - torched just a few miles away. That's a fairly 'random' coincidence out there in podunk rural South Carolina. And LE's reluctance to comment on any detail of the case could indicate a 'protect your own' good ol' boy mentality.

JMO.

The strange this is that the car was found (2 days) before her body was found. So on the same day (Sept. 19) she facetimed for the last time with her mother.

"Details contained in a Florence County Sheriff’s Office incident showed that Wahl’s car was found in a field off Keith Lane in Scranton, South Carolina, on Sept. 19, two days before her body was found."

Source

Some sources say the incident of the torched car was at 2pm at Sunday (Sept. 19). That would be 1 hour after the facetime call with her mother. Strangely short time frame.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the car fire happened first and her death came after that. JMO.

Curious about toxicology results. Some sort of drug around the time of renting a scooter?

Can we add dates and times to what we know? I'll see what I can find in early articles. If anyone knows off the top of your head, please edit and post!
  • left Florida
  • she drove 8-9 hours to allegedly visit her father
  • arrived Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
  • where did she sleep?
  • tried to rent a scooter
    • why not buy a cheap pair of runners - solve the problem
  • decision to go home after being refused the scooter rental
  • dead behind a building
  • car torched 10 miles away, found 2 days later

The strange this is that the car was found (2 days) before her body was found. So on the same day (Sept. 19) she facetimed for the last time with her mother.

"Details contained in a Florence County Sheriff’s Office incident showed that Wahl’s car was found in a field off Keith Lane in Scranton, South Carolina, on Sept. 19, two days before her body was found."

Source

Some sources say the incident of the torched car was at 2pm at Sunday (Sept. 19). That would be 1 hour after the facetime call with her mother. Strangely short time frame.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the car fire happened first and her death came after that. JMO.

Actually, completely off memory, while researching child kidnapping/ rape/ murder/ abductions, it seems that most victims are deceased within the hour, before anyone even knows they're missing. Mollie Tibbetts was murdered in less than an hour, and the suspect was on his way.

If the car was found first, and the body was found two days later, I'm curious about the condition of the body.

Does that mean she died two days later, or no one was at the Volunteer Fire Station for 2 days?

Actually, completely off memory, while researching child kidnapping/ rape/ murder/ abductions, it seems that most victims are deceased within the hour, before anyone even knows they're missing. Mollie Tibbetts was murdered in less than an hour, and the suspect was on his way.

If the car was found first, and the body was found two days later, I'm curious about the condition of the body.

Does that mean she died two days later, or no one was at the Volunteer Fire Station for 2 days?

Or they didn't look behind the tower for 2 days. She was behind the tower which is behind the station.

Does anyone know if there is more information about the Facetime call she had with her mother?

Looking at the timeline (and location where the car was found) you would think that at that time (of the Facetime call) Sheridan was not in possession of her car anymore. JMO
Had the car to be dumped and torched to cover up something? or for some other reason? Was the car stolen from her?

Sunday Sept. 19th - 1pm
what: Facetime call with mother
where: South Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach
* Sheridan said to her mother that she was trying to rent a scooter but had been refused service for not wearing shoes.

Sunday Sept. 19th - 2pm
what: incident report on a torched car being found
where: Keith Lane (off the E. Myrtle Beach highway) in the Scranton section of Florence County
* 55 miles from the location of the Facetime call 1 hour earlier
* license plate had been removed, the VIN was not legible, and the car had been set on fire.

Sunday Sept. 19th - just before midnight
what: Sheridan Wahl was officially reported missing by her mother.

Tuesday Sept. 21st - 8:30 am
what: body of Sheridan Wahl was found behind a fire station
where: Hannah-Salem-Friendfield Fire Department in Pamplico
* 10 miles from the location of where the torched car was found

Last edited:
Can we add dates and times to what we know? I'll see what I can find in early articles. If anyone knows off the top of your head, please edit and post!

Sheridan Wahl (age 21)
"Sheridan's roommate at University of South Florida, Elizabeth Echenique, wrote that a white male was seen 'driving/fleeing the scene' of where the car was found ..."​

Sept 19: left Florida, drove 8-9 hours to allegedly visit her father
Sept 19:arrived Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Sept 19: Sheridan Facetime with mother after scooter rental issue at South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach
Sept 19 - 20 overnight: where did she sleep?
Sept 20: Sheridan's mom Kelly issued frantic plea for information on Facebook
Sept 21: body discovered behind the Hannah-Salem Fire station on Highway 378 (50 miles west of Myrtle Beach)
Sept 23: discovery of torched burgundy colored Toyota Corolla, abandoned in a cornfield ditch 10 miles away

48416881-10030173-image-a-44_1632677626151.jpg

Body of missing college student, 21, is found behind fire station two days after she vanished | Daily Mail Online (map and dates reference)

@leonm

Thank you for day, time and place info!

Sheridan Wahl (age 21)
"Sheridan's roommate at University of South Florida, Elizabeth Echenique, wrote that a white male was seen 'driving/fleeing the scene' of where the car was found ..."​

Sept 18 (?): left Florida, drove 8-9 hours to allegedly visit her father
Sept 19: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (arrived?)
Sept 19, 1:00 PM : Sheridan Facetime with mother after scooter rental issue (South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach)
Sept 19, 2:00 PM: discovery of torched burgundy colored Toyota Corolla in cornfield ditch 55 miles from Facetime location
Sept 19, near midnight: reported missing by mother
Sept 20: Sheridan's mom Kelly issued frantic plea for information on Facebook
Sept 21: body discovered 10 miles away at Hannah-Salem Fire station (Highway 378, 50 miles west of Myrtle Beach)

link

Timelines, maps help me understand.

What happened at the scooter rental stall. Was she alone? Her car was 55 miles away an hour later. That's driving 60 mph. Something must have happened at the scooter stall, or even before.

She contacted her mother. Was she put in her car, dropped off 45 miles away, unconscious, her car was driven 10 miles farther, torched and he returned to the fire station area?

I'd like to know whether anyone was at the fire station between 1-2 PM Sept 19 and 20.

For two days, she may have been alive? Any info on time of death? Last-meal stomach contents?

I'm curious whether she was 100% coherent when she facetimed with her mother to say that she couldn't rent a scooter and was driving home. Was that code for "something is wrong," was she confused? Why was her mother panicked within 11 hours (1:00 PM - midnight)?

Curious about toxicology results. Some sort of drug around the time of renting a scooter?

• left Florida
  • she drove 8-9 hours to allegedly visit her father
  • arrived Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
  • where did she sleep?
  • tried to rent a scooter
    • why not buy a cheap pair of runners - solve the problem
  • decision to go home after being refused the scooter rental
  • dead behind a building
  • car torched 10 miles away, found 2 days later

Her shoes must have been in her vehicle. I am assuming that she didn't leave on her trip with no shoes whatsoever. Why didn't she just put her shoes on and go back into the scooter rental place and try to rent a scooter again?

Many questions remain unanswered in Sheridan Wahl case

The latest update.

My initial thoughts were a drug deal gone bad and the bad guy carjacks a car to get out of town fast. That recently happened in Lumberton NC where a man from Florence killed two women in a carjacking attempt. He is in jail, however.

I suspect, however, that she somehow knew her killer. Why was she trying to rent a scooter when she already had a car and an 8 hour drive ahead? I wonder if she was somehow unknowingly serving as a drug mule. Possibly a friend asked her to drop off a package on the trip.

I’ve wondered about that too, especially for the MB/Florence area to be a hotbed for drug trafficking due to it being the halfway point between NY and FL.

Re: the scooter - Those are really popular in MB, especially with the young crowd, for cruising the strip though most people seem to rent them in the evening hours. And not that it matters but I was reading the reviews for that particular rental business and they seem to be less than stellar.

Her shoes must have been in her vehicle. I am assuming that she didn't leave on her trip with no shoes whatsoever. Why didn't she just put her shoes on and go back into the scooter rental place and try to rent a scooter again?
Timelines, maps help me understand.

For two days, she may have been alive? Any info on time of death? Last-meal stomach contents?

"Tuesday about 8:30 a.m., Florence County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to a report of a woman’s body found near the Hannah-Salem Friendfield Fire Department Station 1, according to the incident report.

The three fire department personnel who found Wahl’s body told deputies they checked her pulse and found that she was already dead.

It appeared she had been there a while because of the different colors of her skin,” a Florence County sheriff’s deputy wrote in the police report."

Source

Even if she did drive from Florida to SC in flipflops, couldn't she pick up a cheap pair of runners? Renting a scooter before seeing her father - seems like a part of the itinerary : rent a scooter, ride the beach for an hour, call dad, visit dad.

Did she want to scooter alone, or was she with a friend? We have rental scooters in my neighbourhood. It's rare that someone uses a scooter alone; typically a fun thing for an hour or two with a friend.

If she drove in shoes, indeed, why were shoes a problem? Was she 100% coherent?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back