TX TX - Amber Hagerman, 9, Arlington, 17 Jan 1996

I've spent the last few hours reading this from the beginning..
I couldn't believe I had never heard about this case until I saw the press release on her Anniversary last month.. I mean I wasn't born yet when this happened but still.. I asked my grandma about it and she mentioned Amber being the reason for the Amber Alerts.. I live in Mansfield Tx which is not far from Arlington at all and I went to visit her memorial and it just gave me chills being over there.. I remember when I was growing up my mom would teach me and my sisters stranger danger and to yell that out if anyone ever approached us etc. We would ride our bikes around the block in our small town neighborhood without a care in the world not knowing what had happened a town over years ago.. I don't know if anyone remembers reading "The Face On The Milk Carton" as a kid but I think ever since I read that book I have had a passion for researching these kind of cases. My family keeps telling me I need to go back to school to make this a career. I'm hoping when they send the DNA they have to be retested with the new technology something will come of it.

Officials did not reveal what the evidence was or how long it will take for the evidence to be tested. Police also do not want to disclose whether the girl was sexually assaulted.
Detectives Hope New DNA Technology Can Break Cold Case That Inspired ‘Amber Alerts'

I followed Amber's case for many years. But I recall when her autopsy was complete it was reported back then that they did not find evidence of a sexual assault and the only physical evidence they found was a few fibers (along with the 1 sock she was wearing.) I'm not sure if this article would have all that detail but it might have some of the info & it can be found on newslibrary.com

18. The Dallas Morning News - February 9, 1996

Autopsy offers no clue to Amber's killer But police say traces of fiber may help if suspect identified
FORT WORTH - The autopsy on the body of 9-year-old Amber Hagerman provided no evidence that could help lead police to her killer, according to authorities and the final autopsy report.However, traces of fiber discovered on the girl's body could help police if a suspect is identified, authorities said."It's the kind of evidence that can help you make your case," said Officer Dee Anderson, a police spokesman.Darrell Thompson, chief investigator for the Tarrant County medical...

Purchase Complete Article, of 287 words

Last edited:
I followed Amber's case for many years. But I recall when her autopsy was complete it was reported back then that they did not find evidence of a sexual assault and the only physical evidence they found was a few fibers (along with the 1 sock she was wearing.) I'm not sure if this article would have all that detail but it might have some of the info & it can be found on newslibrary.com

18. The Dallas Morning News - February 9, 1996

Autopsy offers no clue to Amber's killer But police say traces of fiber may help if suspect identified
FORT WORTH - The autopsy on the body of 9-year-old Amber Hagerman provided no evidence that could help lead police to her killer, according to authorities and the final autopsy report.However, traces of fiber discovered on the girl's body could help police if a suspect is identified, authorities said."It's the kind of evidence that can help you make your case," said Officer Dee Anderson, a police spokesman.Darrell Thompson, chief investigator for the Tarrant County medical...

Purchase Complete Article, of 287 words
There’s a lot of discrepancy as to the sexual assault but I’ve read both over the years.

I've spent the last few hours reading this from the beginning..
I couldn't believe I had never heard about this case until I saw the press release on her Anniversary last month.. I mean I wasn't born yet when this happened but still.. I asked my grandma about it and she mentioned Amber being the reason for the Amber Alerts.. I live in Mansfield Tx which is not far from Arlington at all and I went to visit her memorial and it just gave me chills being over there.. I remember when I was growing up my mom would teach me and my sisters stranger danger and to yell that out if anyone ever approached us etc. We would ride our bikes around the block in our small town neighborhood without a care in the world not knowing what had happened a town over years ago.. I don't know if anyone remembers reading "The Face On The Milk Carton" as a kid but I think ever since I read that book I have had a passion for researching these kind of cases. My family keeps telling me I need to go back to school to make this a career. I'm hoping when they send the DNA they have to be retested with the new technology something will come of it.

From the sounds of your passion, this could be right up your alley. Schooling is always good whichever career road you may take in your journey through life.

WELCOME TO WS!

I’m usually quiet, but I feel compelled to say that I am extremely hopeful DNA will be traced right back to the SOB that took Amber away from her loved ones. I realize genealogy (MOO I believe that is what LE is currently working on) can take awhile, but I wait with a hopeful heart!

th

Amber Hagerman, age 9
Murdered 17 January 1996

LINKS:
Still Searching For Justice Two Decades Later

Police release new photos, seek new info in unsolved 1996 murder of Amber Hagerman

The Unsolved Murder of Amber Hagerman

Amber's father Richard had called the father of polly in California who's was murder richard children where not old enough to give him grandchildrenin 1991
I google "the murder of Amber Hagerman"

snip

Amber was the second child in her family to have been kidnapped. Her father's two-day-old-granddaughter was abducted in 1991 and recovered safely 10 hours later.[3]

:(
Amber alert - Wikipedia

The overwhelming majority of abduction murders (of children) are impulsive acts, IE, the person responsible isnt out actively looking for a victim.

They are usually involved in some type of daily congress, when they come upon a lone child, and their deviant, sexual urges and poor impulse /self control take over.

This does not mean that they are diagnosed pedophiles however, though the majority of them may have a sexual preference for children, (pedophilia) in some cases, the child victim is a surrogate for a desired adult victim, and the murder occurs to remove the chance of being caught (Joseph Smith the late killer of Carlie Bruscia, would be a good example of this)

One glaring thing to remember, is that these types have the highest probability of ALL types to re-offend multiple times over a period of years , we already know how often child molesters re-offend especially if they are pedophiles

The propensity of those who abduct and murder child victims for sexual purposes, is even higher .

When the sociopathic impulsive acts of these individuals, either satisfy or create a deviant psychopathic need, especially in those who already have little regard for the boundaries of others, its like a green light to a very dangerous individual to begin with .

So in many ways this specific type of crime has shown to be a pathway to becoming a serial killer .

That however does not limit itself to child victims only, once they cross the threshold to serial murder the victim sex/age/race may matter less (Arthur Shawcross raped and murdered 2 children the first was a male , the second a female child, he was then paroled from prison going on to murder 11 prostitutes )

However because of their poor impulse control and lack of boundaries toward others, they will often commit many other crimes, as well .

I in NO way feel this guy turned into Mr Rogers, and fell off the grid , im willing to bet , hes been locked up for other crimes, I wouldn't doubt sexual in nature , but I will say I feel strongly .....somebody knows SOMETHING and has never come forward in this case, he may have re-offended, but not to the extent of murder.

Remember there were several child murders in and around Galveston, and just south west of where Amber was killed, in the Calder Oil Fields one was solved

Wiliam Reece the killer of Laura Smither not far from where Amber's case, took place (a confessed Serial Killer) is an interesting prospect IMO , an individual known to use a knife in the commission of his crimes , held a knife to the throat to the victims that escaped him

The overwhelming majority of abduction murders (of children) are impulsive acts, IE, the person responsible isnt out actively looking for a victim.

They are usually involved in some type of daily congress, when they come upon a lone child, and their deviant, sexual urges and poor impulse /self control take over.

This does not mean that they are diagnosed pedophiles however, though the majority of them may have a sexual preference for children, (pedophilia) in some cases, the child victim is a surrogate for a desired adult victim, and the murder occurs to remove the chance of being caught (Joseph Smith the late killer of Carlie Bruscia, would be a good example of this)

One glaring thing to remember, is that these types have the highest probability of ALL types to re-offend multiple times over a period of years , we already know how often child molesters re-offend especially if they are pedophiles

The propensity of those who abduct and murder child victims for sexual purposes, is even higher .

When the sociopathic impulsive acts of these individuals, either satisfy or create a deviant psychopathic need, especially in those who already have little regard for the boundaries of others, its like a green light to a very dangerous individual to begin with .

So in many ways this specific type of crime has shown to be a pathway to becoming a serial killer .

That however does not limit itself to child victims only, once they cross the threshold to serial murder the victim sex/age/race may matter less (Arthur Shawcross raped and murdered 2 children the first was a male , the second a female child, he was then paroled from prison going on to murder 11 prostitutes )

However because of their poor impulse control and lack of boundaries toward others, they will often commit many other crimes, as well .

I in NO way feel this guy turned into Mr Rogers, and fell off the grid , im willing to bet , hes been locked up for other crimes, I wouldn't doubt sexual in nature , but I will say I feel strongly .....somebody knows SOMETHING and has never come forward in this case, he may have re-offended, but not to the extent of murder.

Remember there were several child murders in and around Galveston, and just south west of where Amber was killed, in the Calder Oil Fields one was solved

Wiliam Reece the killer of Laura Smither not far from where Amber's case, took place (a confessed Serial Killer) is an interesting prospect IMO , an individual known to use a knife in the commission of his crimes , held a knife to the throat to the victims that escaped him
Thought I’d bring my previous post back.

I have been doing research on Amber's case and I can't believe that this was not considered. The similarities in Laura Smithers and Ambers cases are unbelievable.
* Both found in small bodies of water
* Both found nude-except for 1 sock
* Both close to same age, 9-12 not far off, IMO
*Both white females, freckles, brown hair
*Both found decapitated (Ambers throat slash was so severe, her head was hanging on to her neck by back skin)
Cleburne Times April 14 2018
*Both found under 10 miles of their abduction locations
*Both bodies dumped near major highways/thoroughfares
*Both abducted in broad daylight

IMO LE have the wrong guy for Smither's death. MOO

ETA: Totally agree with you.

74% of the time, in these types of cases, the name of the individual responsible for the murder, was brought to the attention of LE within 48 hours of the start of the investigation.

Its highly likely they have interviewed him or his name is on a list somewhere but they didnt have much to go on .

That's not 100% theres a chance he slipped away without anyone knowing , but odds are the name is somewhere

Even if its not, the other factors in Abduction murders would still be applicable .

Between 24-36 years old (Mean age of 27)

Usually a white male

Usually not under any kind of legal custody status (Parole/Probation) at time of offense

Lives works or traverses the area regularly near abduction site

Usually live with parents or another family member

Rarely involved in any type of intimate relationship at time

Motive is sexual

Usually Acts alone

Higher tendency toward sociopath behavior (impulsive)

Very familiar with the body recovery site

Unskilled or semi skilled labor, usually in construction industry

Frequent address changes, usually within 1 year prior to the murder

Criminal history involving crimes sexual in nature usually involving children

Considered to be "odd" by those around him, may even have been suspected at one point

Victim is usually abducted .4 mi or less from home (or where they are staying)

Vehicle used in commission of crime (98%)

Comes upon victim by chance (impulsive)

Physical force most often means to subdue victim (impulsive)

Victim usually taken greater than 1 mile from abduction site

Victim is usually deceased within 30-90 minutes after being abducted. (sadly most abducted/murdered children aren't even noticed, missing till 1-2 hours, after they have been abducted, therefore most of the time, they are already deceased, before they have even been reported missing , in abduction cases, time is the MOST important factor)

Because its rarely a planned, act the offender usually uses, weapons at hand to murder victim, (Strangulation is most common means, followed by stabbing/cutting)
Barring certain factors, (body in water, animal activity etc..) the victims body is usually found within 200 feet from there they were killed .

Victims body is usually hidden to avoid discovery (this includes putting them in a body of water)

May have been interviewed

Often very identifiable post offensive behavior (use of intoxicants, appearance changes, unusual overbearing interest in the case, possible injection into the investigation, weight changes, eating more or less, smoking more or less, shedding of personal items primarily something they had on them the day of the abduction, such as clothing, getting rid of their vehicle, altering the appearance of their vehicle, sudden unexplained reason to move or leave area, unexplained items from the victim in his possession, sudden unexplained illness, police wanting to speak with an individual, may confide in someone etc..)

Will usually commit further crimes, often short of murder, however these types have a much higher tendency to become serial offenders (rape or murder) , victims not limited to being children however.

A friend of Amber's has come forward. There will be a release of her information. But I am not sure when that will take place. This was a good two-three months ago when I saw that she will be coming forward.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back