Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember this case so well and poor CB went through so much! But again they questioned the bf off the bat, in this case they can’t even find him to question him!
That case broke my heart. You realize there is no limit to how cruel a person can be.

In this case though, you are right, he won't even answer questions.

Timeline according to SB:

Sept 1-3: Reserved De Soto trip cancelled
Sept 6: Laundrie family goes to De Soto campground
Sept 7: Laundrie family leaves De Soto campground

Weekend
Sept 11: GP filed as missing person
Sept 11, 12: Laundrie family goes to “other places” (plural!) on “different dates” this weekend.

Sept 13: SB last spoke with Brian
Sept 14: BL leaves for a hike at Carlton, leaving his phone and wallet behind
Sept 14: SB statement “Laundrie family is remaining in the background” of search for GP
Sept 15: Parents go to reserve, find parking warning note, do nothing
Sept 16th: Parents go to reserve, access vehicle and drive it home.
Sept 17th: Parents report BL missing

Thanks. I'm gonna use this to make a timeline according to Wasnt_Me.

Sept 1-3: Reserved De Soto trip cancelled (Brian arrives home)
Sept 6: Laundrie family goes to De Soto campground
Sept 7: Laundrie family leaves De Soto campground
Sept 9: Petitos begin calling and texting the Laundries
Sept 10: Police visit the Laundrie house for a welfare check.

Weekend

Sept 11: GP filed as missing person (Police confiscate the van. They said late night into early morning of 9/12)
Sept 11, 12: Laundrie family goes to “other places” (plural!) on “different dates” this weekend.

Sept 13: SB last spoke with Brian
Sept 14: BL leaves for a hike at Carlton, leaving his phone and wallet behind (Police put abandoned notice on mustang at 2:42pm)
Sept 14: SB statement “Laundrie family is remaining in the background” of search for GP
Sept 15: Parents go to reserve, find parking warning note, do nothing (Mustang seen in News footage in Laundrie's driveway)
Sept 16th: Parents go to reserve, access vehicle and drive it home.
Sept 17th: Parents report BL missing
Sept 18th: Some type of suspicious incident at 11:22pm involving members of the Laundrie family.

Last edited:
To make this trip as comfortably as possible, they needed to get a fairly large vehicle. I can sympathize because I can’t drive anything bigger than a Dodge caravan comfortably. She was in love with BL and the prospects of this trip and social media a lot it so having BL drive it most all of the time seemed just fine. That’s a part of the tragedy of all of this. So much love, trust, promise at the beginning
These Ford Transit Connects are actually smaller than a minivan. Probably can't see out the back well. I'd guess she probably just didn't like driving unfamiliar territory, especially with a passenger that may get upset if she missed a turn.

Thank you, I added the 13th. This is the timeline “according to SB” though- News interview as follows..

Steven Bertolino, the Laundrie family’s attorney, told ABC7 that the family went looking for Laundrie on Wednesday and, despite not finding Laundrie, spotted the Ford Mustang he was driving with a police note on it.
Steven Bertolino, the Laundrie family’s attorney, told ABC7 that the family went looking for Laundrie on Wednesday and, despite not finding Laundrie, spotted the Ford Mustang he was driving with a police note on it.
Bertolino added that the note said the car needed to be removed from the area.

Laundrie’s family left the car on Wednesday ‘so he could drive it back,’ Bertolino told ABC7.

When Laundrie didn’t return, the family went back to the reserve to retrieve the car on Thursday, Bertolino said.”
A police note was found on Brian Laundrie's car after he disappeared following a hike into a Florida nature preserve, his family says

Gone into hiding? But where?
Bertolino added that the note said the car needed to be removed from the area.

Laundrie’s family left the car on Wednesday ‘so he could drive it back,’ Bertolino told ABC7.

When Laundrie didn’t return, the family went back to the reserve to retrieve the car on Thursday, Bertolino said.
When I read the above, if it’s true, I go back to wondering if he maybe really did kill himself in the swamp….

I agree with gingersnap. My love for my child is conditional: you murder someone, you face the consequences. I don't believe in this unconditional love garbage.

I fear I might fall into the "unconditional love garbage" category. I pray I never have to face what either set of parents have had to face here. I think it would do me in.

One thing I can come up with....he was going to be a jerk, and sneak off with the van, leaving her stranded. So they fought, she told him to take a hike, he literally did, then hitchhiked back to get the van. He only checked to see if she was in the van. He never checked to see where she was/how she was.
This seems possible (although I admit, not likely!) because we know he was threatening/started to take the van without her when they were at Moonflower.

So when he starts getting calls from her parents, he starts to get nervous. He thought they would have heard from her by now, after she found transportation and assistance from other campers in the area. But he knows he looks bad, so he can't talk to them.

Yet why would his parents, completely separate from that situation, not respond to the parents of the girl who had lived under their roof for the past two years?

The first thing one assumes is, he isn't too bright. He is not a forward planner, he is a reactor, a knee jerker, a person who lives in the moment, a grenade thrower, who has so far escaped cleaning up his own mess...

The second thing is, ... and this one is the real reason, he wanted to go home to mum. Now.. I am not saying that Mum rules that household, it could be home to mum and dad, but generally, manbabies want mum more than anything. Gabby mothered him, I suspect.

There really is no rational reason why he would risk that long drive in a stolen car, with a battered body of his girlfriend lying around in a well used national park, unless he was convinced that he had a soft landing and protection and assistance and emotional acceptance and financial and practical help to clean up this mess. Absolutely no reason that stands any scrutiny.

And he was right. There was a lawyer waiting, the camper packed up and ready to go, plans afoot, everyone one the same page about no-speakies to the Petito's...
Ita, but everyone keeps saying he ran home to mom. I keep getting a daddy vibe. I think dad’s the driving force behind protecting his son at all costs. Kind of like the vibe from Brandon Theesefeld’s pappy. Jmo

To make this trip as comfortably as possible, they needed to get a fairly large vehicle. I can sympathize because I can’t drive anything bigger than a Dodge caravan comfortably. She was in love with BL and the prospects of this trip and social media a lot it so having BL drive it most all of the time seemed just fine. That’s a part of the tragedy of all of this. So much love, trust, promise at the beginning

GP's van was smaller than a Didge Caravan! It's crazy they thought it would make a good camper.

5th Gen Dodge Caravan - Length: 202.5", Width: 78.7", Height: 68.9", Curb Weight: 4306lbs - Dodge Caravan - Wikipedia

1st Gen Ford Transit Connect(2010+) - Length: Short Version 168.3" Long Version 180.7, Width: 70.7", Height: SWB 71.5", LWB 79.3", Curb Weight: 3373-3524lbs - Ford Transit Connect - Wikipedia

A Dodge Caravan of a similar age is longer, wider, and heavier than a 2011 Ford Transit Connect.

I just gleaned BL's IG for the first time and noticed a few things.

He is very, VERY comfortable in nature. I was watching his reels and he seems to know his way around things pretty well. Put this together with the fact that we now know his parents camp often, I imagine Brian has collected quite a few outdoor skills over the years. No Bear Grylls, but I really do think it is time to stop discounting him to be just some spoiled kid who can't hold his own. IMO, he absolutely can.

Second point is that in one of the story highlights under 'Van Life', it shows that there is only a curtain that separates the driving portion of the van from the back. So IF the doors WERE closing on the Bethune video, it would not have been dark inside and he would not have had to get out of the back to get to the steering wheel to drive. Not sure if it has been discussed but here is the link: - @bizarre_design_

JMO
It is possible for him to be very comfortable in nature and still be a <modsnip> who can't hold his own...No?

He has proven that to be the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I keep asking. If he was just going to disappear on his family, he already had a head start at the end of August, why take the trip back home and risk being seen or pulled over? The only conclusion I can come to is that he needed family help to hide him somewhere.
I keep getting stuck on this too. But I think it has to be something else. It just makes no sense to come all the way back home to FL. Why would his parents risk everything they worked for their entire lives, and their freedom, to participate in their son’s illegal activities. I don’t believe he told them he killed Gabby. I think he made up a story about what happened in Wyoming. Something fell apart though. We are missing too many details to be able to know what really happened.

I fear I might fall into the "unconditional love garbage" category. I pray I never have to face what either set of parents have had to face here. I think it would do me in.
I’m with you. I hope I never have to face a choice like this, because I’d like to believe I’d do the right thing, but there isn’t much I wouldn’t do for my boys.

If you read the FBI warrant , the dates are given vaguely, not precisely, as though they were not sure. The card was used during a time period specified that in MOO is what the coroner specified that Gabby was not alive. Due to federal banking regulations, BL is on the hook if he used the cards during a time she was definitely dead. The van does not fall into that situation.
And we do not know for certain who sent that text.
The earliest date on the warrant was Aug. 30th- same date as the fake text, ergo Gabby didn't send that text. Since Brian continued to use her debit card and van after Aug. 30th, it's not a stretch that he sent the fake text. He is on the hook for use of a dead woman's van that he had no legal right to use. They just haven't charged him with that yet. Many a murderer uses their victims car after killing them.

I keep getting stuck on this too. But I think it has to be something else. It just makes no sense to come all the way back home to FL. Why would his parents risk everything they worked for their entire lives, and their freedom, to participate in their son’s illegal activities. I don’t believe he told them he killed Gabby. I think he made up a story about what happened in Wyoming. Something fell apart though. We are missing too many details to be able to know what really happened.
Same reason that the Anthony's aided and abetted Casey.

Ita, but everyone keeps saying he ran home to mom. I keep getting a daddy vibe. I think dad’s the driving force behind protecting his son at all costs. Kind of like the vibe from Brandon Theesefeld’s pappy. Jmo

Good point. BL could be an abuser because he thinks that's what men do in relationships (keep the woman in line, his way or no way, etc.) and he learned by example.

It is possible for him to be very comfortable in nature and still be a <modsnip> who can't hold his own...No?

He has proven that to be the case.
Of course, it’s just that some suggest he’s not in the swamp because he ‘wouldn’t know how to survive’ or is ‘probably dead because he needs granola’ and what not. I’m just saying that all signs, for me anyway, point to him being able to survive for a good bit on his own.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing one assumes is, he isn't too bright. He is not a forward planner, he is a reactor, a knee jerker, a person who lives in the moment, a grenade thrower, who has so far escaped cleaning up his own mess...

The second thing is, ... and this one is the real reason, he wanted to go home to mum. Now.. I am not saying that Mum rules that household, it could be home to mum and dad, but generally, manbabies want mum more than anything. Gabby mothered him, I suspect.

There really is no rational reason why he would risk that long drive in a stolen car, with a battered body of his girlfriend lying around in a well used national park, unless he was convinced that he had a soft landing and protection and assistance and emotional acceptance and financial and practical help to clean up this mess. Absolutely no reason that stands any scrutiny.

And he was right. There was a lawyer waiting, the camper packed up and ready to go, plans afoot, everyone one the same page about no-speakies to the Petito's...
I love your posts! Witty and on point.

I don't like driving large vans either. Mostly because I am horrific at parking even a regular and just in general I feel more awkward in traffic or narrow/winding roads. And forget about some of these Colorado mountain roads, or around Lake Tahoe. Definitely not for me, the lack of side rails gives me anxiety. Gabby seems like a person prone to anxiety so I can see her not wanting to drive the van, especially in a strange area.

The Transit Connect is a very small van, even smaller than a mini-van, just taller. I owned a full-sized Transit cargo van and it was so easy to drive. It had huge dual mirrors, which made backing in super easy (and now they have backup cameras, mine didn't). Is it scary at first? Sure... but you get used to it.

Yet why would his parents, completely separate from that situation, not respond to the parents of the girl who had lived under their roof for the past two years?

Because he told them what he did. So they got a lawyer who told them not to talk.
I mean, who wants to say, "Oh, I thought she was just fine when I took her phone and the van and left her behind." ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member