UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

From Torrey, the general area where Colt was captured, to Moab is about a 2.5 hour drive. While there are other towns closer, Moab would certainly be at least one place I would go to for supplies if I was hiding out. And that is presuming he stayed near Torrey since spotted in early August. A guy that has spent close to 2 decades in prison or psychiatric treatment without being deemed fit for society sounds “creepy” to me. If he is indeed the guilty party, I suspect we will hear about it sooner rather than later.

I just read that now as well and was going to post how he was hiding in Torrey and the distance. Possible but like you say, big trip for no reason.

Interesting the LE warned he may be camping in/near National Parks so maybe he has an interest? Leisure trip to Moab? Only reason he may have motorcycled to Moab was to check out the parks/scenery while hiding out. Pretty brazen if so, but never know!

The US Marshal service posted a press release 9/21/21 about a violent sexual predator who was believed to be using state and national parks in the west to hide. He escaped from a mental hospital in Kansas. He had been civilly committed following completion of a prison sentence for sexual assault.

I'd be curious to know if anyone saw John Freeman Colt in Moab around the time of the girl's murder.

Why would the US Marshall think Colt was frequenting state and national parks unless they had sightings or other confirmation?

htts://www.usmarshals.gov/.../2021/colt-news-release.htm

John Freeman Colt was arrested in Wayne County Utah in the Torrey area. An alert resident called police and police were preparing to raid Colts camp site when they saw him drive by their staging area on his blue motorcycle.

Law enforcement believes he has been camping in the Torrey area since early August, Torrey is about 150 miles from Moab.

Posters on Facebook indicate that they worked with him and that he had tried to get them to hang out but got a bad vibe from Colt so they kept their distance. He also tried to scare one of the woman that he was working with repeatedly and said he would succeed at least once before he left there.

With the distance and the dates, it is looking less like John Freeman Colt could be responsible for the Moab murders.

https://www.facebook.com/wcsoutah/posts/1625959447747586

Well yikes this is creepy! I was in Torrey, UT very possibly when this guy was there. If he has an affinity for national parks, that makes sense because Torrey is the "gateway town" to Capitol Reef National Park. Torrey is TINY tiny. Like way way smaller than Moab. Someone regularly coming into the few restaurants and shops there for over a month would be remembered, IMO.

The Park Predators podcast just did an episode on Kylen and Crystal Season Two | Park Predators

I didn't notice any new info, but it's just good their case is getting put out there more.

Well yikes this is creepy! I was in Torrey, UT very possibly when this guy was there. If he has an affinity for national parks, that makes sense because Torrey is the "gateway town" to Capitol Reef National Park. Torrey is TINY tiny. Like way way smaller than Moab. Someone regularly coming into the few restaurants and shops there for over a month would be remembered, IMO.

The Park Predators podcast just did an episode on Kylen and Crystal Season Two | Park Predators

I didn't notice any new info, but it's just good their case is getting put out there more.

Very creepy indeed! So why would he pick Torrey if he'd stick out like a sore thumb I wonder?

If he was creeping people/women out there in Torrey maybe a reason for little trip to Moab where more tourists/transient people where he could create trouble and leave less noticed? The fact he gave coworkers a bad vibe is in line with Crystal and Kylen's 'creepy guy'.

I'm not 100% set he is the killer but a lot of similarities that can't be ignored.

Last edited:
John Colt had a gun when arrested. Bullet point #12 from probable cause statement:

“After COLT’s arrest a new Facebook alias was identified. COLT posted numerous photos of his campsite, tent, motorcycle, and COLT posing with a shotgun having a pistol grip and a magazine fed rifle with a folding stock.”

Runaway sexual predator arrested in Utah failed to resister sex offender status

https://www.scribd.com/document/528367724/Probable-Cause-John-Freeman-Colt#from_embed

Thanks for confirming this and the report link. The SA victim he went to jail for survived, it's common when sex offenders have been to jail then are released and re-offend to start to killing victims to leave no witness (avoid going back to jail). Maybe he escalated to murder with C&K because of this :(

In the report it mentions his escalations towards women and talks of a SA spree if ever released! And with help from a hospital employee to escape? Absolutely, terrifying.

His FB page is eerie as well. I hope LE updates whether he's connected to K&C at all going forward.

John Freeman Colt was arrested in Wayne County Utah in the Torrey area. An alert resident called police and police were preparing to raid Colts camp site when they saw him drive by their staging area on his blue motorcycle.

Law enforcement believes he has been camping in the Torrey area since early August, Torrey is about 150 miles from Moab.

Posters on Facebook indicate that they worked with him and that he had tried to get them to hang out but got a bad vibe from Colt so they kept their distance. He also tried to scare one of the woman that he was working with repeatedly and said he would succeed at least once before he left there.

With the distance and the dates, it is looking less like John Freeman Colt could be responsible for the Moab murders.

https://www.facebook.com/wcsoutah/posts/1625959447747586
idk man, i still think its possible. he could have moved on after that and went north. because this (BBM) thats creepy

John Colt had a gun when arrested. Bullet point #12 from probable cause statement:

“After COLT’s arrest a new Facebook alias was identified. COLT posted numerous photos of his campsite, tent, motorcycle, and COLT posing with a shotgun having a pistol grip and a magazine fed rifle with a folding stock.”

Runaway sexual predator arrested in Utah failed to resister sex offender status

https://www.scribd.com/document/528367724/Probable-Cause-John-Freeman-Colt#from_embed
even the warrant states he was in that area from 8/12......

So glad he's been caught. I've spent a lot of time in Torrey, myself (best friend has a house there). Central Utah is very interesting. We would drive in through Moab when we got the chance, as the grocery store (the Coop) was so much better than anything in Torrey...

Is there a link to his FB page? I seem to be missing it.

Thanks for confirming this and the report link. The SA victim he went to jail for survived, it's common when sex offenders have been to jail then are released and re-offend to start to killing victims to leave no witness (avoid going back to jail). Maybe he escalated to murder with C&K because of this :(

In the report it mentions his escalations towards women and talks of a SA spree if ever released! And with help from a hospital employee to escape? Absolutely, terrifying.

His FB page is eerie as well. I hope LE updates whether he's connected to K&C at all going forward.
do you have a link to the facebook page

i couldnt find his fb and id like to see it too

His Facebook alias name is in the document link upthread. I don't think I can paste the FB link here? Can I post his FB name alias here?

There's a video of him dancing. I think photos of camp, motorcycle and those mentioned in the document have been hidden or removed. Maybe for evidence? Not sure. I don't see pics mentioned in the doc.

Did a bigger search on FB for him, and he posted in a group on Sept 15th called 'Dispersed Camping' :eek: Lots of women commenters ugh... So he's been out and about it seems.

He's posted a few times in that group. One on Aug 21st, but apparently from day before Aug 2oth, definitely looks like Moab area: "Out for a hike looking for a good spot to camp. Hike was great"

Last edited:
It does seem strange that this guy picks Central Utah, of all places, to "hide". Did he have family ties or something that brought him to the area?

Folks who "don't belong" in Utah, even now, stick out.

How did this guy have access to so much income, after leaving the institution? Motorcycle, gun, did he steal?

It does seem strange that this guy picks Central Utah, of all places, to "hide". Did he have family ties or something that brought him to the area?

Folks who "don't belong" in Utah, even now, stick out.

How did this guy have access to so much income, after leaving the institution? Motorcycle, gun, did he steal?

Apparently a hospital employee helped him with escape and he had an accomplice hook him up with motorbike. His escape sounds extremely well planned so he must have some connections outside?

I noticed women commenters on his posts, so maybe he plays them to get stuff.
He posts a pic of his new tent to live in during the winter. I saw another pic him camping with another man with a dog and went to visit friends in Colorado. I guess he has friends!

Am I allowed to discuss what I see on FB here? I can't remember the rules, haven't been on WS in a long time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back