Found Deceased IN - Jacob Cole McCarty, 14, with his dog, Corydon, 21 Sep 2021

The Corydon Central High School Homecoming was the weekend of Sept 17. It can be hard for those kids who don't have friends to go with or a date. Also, social media is slammed with "hoco" pictures in the days following the dance.

This may have nothing to do with Jacob. It was just one of the first things I thought of that could affect the mental health of a high school student.

does that not put anyone searching for him at risk if he had a gun? I really don't understand how a 14 year old would be able to get hold of one let alone use it!

I'm in the uk though, guns are alien to most of us here

if thats what happened then i assume no gunshots were heard by anyone else nearby
A boy his age could be quite familiar with guns. I was at his age.

He was also in a wooded area. There may have been no one close to hear a gun shot (thick trees do muffle noise) or no one may have thought twice about hearing a gun where hunting and target practice may be common.

I had to stop reading the comments bc I was starting to look a bit unstable sobbing at my work desk. This breaks my heart. I was hoping they had gotten lost and would be found...tired and hungry but alive. I cant see this child involving the dog if he had planned on hurting himself. I hope they release more information soon.

Sometimes a case jumps out and just twists the heart and this is one of them.

It never gets easier.

I am so sorry for Jacob's father, his family and friends. He represents a growing number of struggling young people facing increasingly tough lives with very little support. I can only hope there is something better that comes next for him and for all of us.

An article in the Louisville Courier-Journal seems to support the firearm theory,

"Then he [the dad] noticed the firearm he kept in the home was gone and immediately called police, he said. The handgun had just been recently purchased for protection and was kept in a closet, unsecured but out of plain sight, in McCarty's room, he said."

Jacob McCarty, missing Indiana teen, found dead Tuesday, police said
Thank you. I didn't see that information and was honestly confused how the gun had come into the situation. :)

An article in the Louisville Courier-Journal seems to support the firearm theory,

"Then he [the dad] noticed the firearm he kept in the home was gone and immediately called police, he said. The handgun had just been recently purchased for protection and was kept in a closet, unsecured but out of plain sight, in McCarty's room, he said."

Jacob McCarty, missing Indiana teen, found dead Tuesday, police said
ugh....i can't find another response. the poor family, dad.

I agree, it is very strange! I wonder what reason they had to believe he was meeting someone on that day in particular.
'meeting someone you met on the internet" is never ever a good sign when you are 14.

I am so sad about this and for the father. When they say no foul play, it’s indicating suicide I’m thinking and his dog he took with him. I think he never met up with someone but intended to. Something stopped that and he went off purposely to commit this tragedy out of feeling sad or misunderstood. He left his phone at home so I don’t know think he went to meet anyone at all. I just pray for his father. If teens only knew you can make it through a difficult time with your whole life ahead of you..there’s just no other chance ending it. So sad.
BBM

Hmmmm..because maybe the parents had the tracking app to find him by phone....so maybe he didn't want to be found so soon. JMO. He was 5'4" and 200 pounds at 14. Was he a victim of teasing, was he involved with weirdos on the WWW? I found it odd that the communicating thing.....because if you are just going for a walk, you generally don't need to communicate to someone, you just come home . Dad's 'bad feeling' is the worst. . . like he felt it, that parent thing. But tell me did the LE really state he was not at risk? Just for my own clarification. Thanks.
All JMO

A boy his age could be quite familiar with guns. I was at his age.

He was also in a wooded area. There may have been no one close to hear a gun shot (thick trees do muffle noise) or no one may have thought twice about hearing a gun where hunting and target practice may be common.

About familiarity with guns. . ..we have a lot of people with guns where I live, when i first got here I was alarmed. But the thing is, most of the people with guns, tell me the first thing they do when kids are old enough, is teach them gun safety. I still find it unsettling that they got a gun for protection and put it in a closet and it was the first thing the dad looked for.

The Corydon Central High School Homecoming was the weekend of Sept 17. It can be hard for those kids who don't have friends to go with or a date. Also, social media is slammed with "hoco" pictures in the days following the dance.

This may have nothing to do with Jacob. It was just one of the first things I thought of that could affect the mental health of a high school student.
According to my grand he had a girlfriend the three of them had that FaceTime and they talked almost every night together 3 way call thing you can do.

If this turns out to be a suicide I’ll be even more heartbroken. I cannot even fathom how his father must be feeling, knowing that a weapon was left unsecured in his residence. My son has many issues and I have two secured firearms that he cannot access. One has a bolt lock and the other is in a locked pelican case. Only I know where the keys are. I also don’t keep ammunition in the same place. Not a good situation for an intruder, but I have an alarm system. My son’s safety is more important to me. I feel so awful for this family.

So why did our local police not put out a silver alert that the boy was armed and may be suicidal? Why did they tell us instead that he met someone on the internet and ran away?
I hope it was misguided judgement leading them to think it was acceptable. They are probably trying to handle it softly for the family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back